Turkey Trot Running Workout Round Up

Since we normally we spend Thanksgiving in the city, we had considered going to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade this year but then our plans changed completely and will be spending the holiday out here on Long Island instead.

I now get to make a bunch of side dishes plus dessert which I have yet to totally finalize recipe-wise which is okay because that’s not the point of this post.

I really could have run a Turkey Trot race now that we will be home Thanksgiving morning but I hate driving to run a 5k and there really isn’t another race distance available near me.

No big deal though because I can run my own little Turkey Trot at home by creating my own race distance and workout plan.

Turkey Trot Running Round Up - Collection of running workouts to do on Thanksgiving Day

I put together a running roundup of my of top 5 running workouts, any of these would be perfect for Thanksgiving morning depending upon how many miles you want to get in before celebrating the holiday with your family and friends.

Click on each workout to view full post!

5k workout – 3.1 miles that will challenge you without overdoing it.

5k workout

10k speed workout – I really sweat from running these 6.2 miles. Feel free to add more/less miles.

10k speed workout

Fun Running Workout – My favorite negative split workout which I run all of the time.

running workout

Speed workout (6 miles) – You can add on miles to this or shorten it.

speed workout

Speed Play on the Treadmill – Have to run on the treadmill? No problem! This speed play workout is perfect for the treadmill because it keeps you engaged and helps you to push hard and work up a good sweat!

treadmill speed play workout

Turkey Trot Running Workout Round Up #running #Thanksgiving #turkeytrot #fitfluential Click To Tweet

******

Are you running in a Turkey Trot race?

What do you normally do Thanksgiving morning?

Bloggers- If you use wordpress, are you having problems this week typing up your posts? I am only having problems with the typing part of the posts, it’s crazy delayed and driving me nuts!

• Susie @ SuzLyfe November 24, 2015, 7:18 am

I usually do my own turkey trot (inside). This will be maybe the first or second time in 10 years that I’ve not run on Thanksgiving!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Why I Freaking Love ThanksgivingMy Profile

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine November 24, 2015, 7:28 am

I haven’t tired to type up a post since Saturday, but that sounds annoying! The problem with running a marathon the weekend before Thanksgiving is that it’s too soon to race (or even run at all, really) on Thanksgiving. While it’s definitely been nice to take some time off this week, I know I will be itching to run on Thursday!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Route 66 Marathon Training Week 16My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 25, 2015, 4:31 pm

Hope you are recovering well! I cannot stand when I have typing/website issues, computer things frustrate me like crazy!

• Gretchen | Gretchruns November 24, 2015, 8:01 am

I’m doing a turkey trot! Pittsburgh has a 5k and 5 miler, or you can sign up for both. I do it pretty much every year! I went to the Macy’s parade one year and it was cool, but I probably won’t do it again. SO crowded and it was freezing! I’m glad I got to see it though 🙂
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…GretchRuns Thanksgiving : Part 4 [Appetizers]My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 25, 2015, 4:31 pm

Yeah, the parade gets crazy crowded but tomorrow should be warm at least for the people standing there all morning! Good luck in the race.

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma November 24, 2015, 8:41 am

Love this! I’ve never done an official Thanksgiving turkey trot but I do like running that morning as long as the cooking is under control! Nothing long but 5-6 miles feels right before all the festivities.
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Chocolate Caramel Fudge Cups {Paleo & Vegan}My Profile

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes November 24, 2015, 8:46 am

Great workouts! I have never run a turkey trot but my husband and I go for a run on Thanksgiving morning. It’s such a great way to start a day of cooking and eating.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…What are Junk Miles and How Do You Know If You’re Running Them?My Profile

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl November 24, 2015, 9:12 am

I’m doing a turkey trot in my CT hometown! I don’t like driving to 5ks either, but I plan to run there and back (2 miles each way) and make it a really nice morning workout since we then have to get in the car for 2 hours afterwards to drive to Thanksgiving and will have a repeat in the evening. So it works out 🙂
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Race to Deliver 4M and Finishing the 9 + 1My Profile

• Arthi November 24, 2015, 9:15 am

I always run a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving and don’t know if I’m gonna be able to this year … Crazy bruised/jammed pinky toe that I haven’t been able to run on in the last 5 days :/ … If it magically feels better tomorrow though, I’ll be running the Detroit Turkey Trot 10K!
    Arthi recently posted…Monday Night Confessions – Part 35.My Profile

• Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat November 24, 2015, 12:55 pm

I won’t go out of my way for a Thanksgiving 5K but luckily there is usually a 5 miler. This year I am heading up to Port Washington which is pretty close to me for their 5 miler before hightailing it to my fam in NJ. Just couldn’t resist the race and we are doing a low key thing so it luckily (and selfishly) worked out.
    Gianna @ Run, Lift, Repeat recently posted…Some Life Lately UpdatesMy Profile

• Fiona November 24, 2015, 2:33 pm

I do the same thing early on Christmas morning before anyone else is up. There are no official runs on Christmas morning so I have my own “event”- usually a half-marathon or something like that and there is usually not a soul on the roads. I love it!
    Fiona recently posted…To Short or Too Short? Winter Running GearMy Profile

• Sheena @ Paws and Pavement November 24, 2015, 6:35 pm

I love the Macys day parade! I always watch it while getting dinner ready. Someday I definitely want to see it in person because I absolutely love watching. There isn’t a turkey trot in my hometown where we are spending the week but I hope to get in a run anyways.
    Sheena @ Paws and Pavement recently posted…Weekly Workout Recap {11/23}My Profile