If you are wondering what I did yesterday after a short morning run, I was in my kitchen making this really easy grain free skillet potato lasagna.
I cooked up this savory recipe in the morning on purpose so that I wouldn’t sample it as I made it because normally at 10:00 am, the last thing I want to eat is something from my cast iron skillet called potato lasagna.
I am a sweet morning eater by nature but when there are loads of thinly sliced potatoes cooking and crisping in tomato sauce with cheese bubbling up in front of me, all sense of meal time preferences and reasoning goes right out the window.
Part of me wonders if it’s wrong to call this recipe a lasagna when there isn’t a grain or pasta type noodle to be found.
But see, I consider it a skillet lasagna of some sort because it’s based my easy skillet whole wheat lasagna recipe which I make quite often only this time, I replaced the lasagna noodles with potatoes.
Packed with grain free complex carbs to fuel our muscles and comfort our souls, this meatless recipe is crazy easy to throw together.
As you know, I do not like complicated recipes or needing to be in the kitchen longer than I have to be. This skillet potato lasagna meets my requirements because it’s all in one pan, there’s no boiling of noodles, no layering system to follow nor is the recipe so structured like a science experiment that I run the risk of screwing it up.
All you really need to do is slice up your potatoes and get them in your cast iron skillet along with the sauce, seasonings and cheese.
It’s a perfect meatless meal when paired with a salad and vegetables or great as a side dish for our meat-eating friends too.
In fact, I think this skillet potato lasagna makes for an awesome meal the night before a long run or race.
Or, um, a random early Sunday morning brunch when you are cooking it and can’t resist a big bowl for yourself.
A few things to note:
I used a mix of sweet potatoes and regular potatoes but you can do what you like and even sub in some butternut squash <- great idea right here.
Add vegetables! Can you believe I didn’t?! Perfect veggies for this skillet potato lasagna would be a handle of spinach, sliced mushrooms, diced eggplant, cauliflower or broccoli.
If you are a cheese lover, add lots of cheese. If you adore tomato sauce, use a heavy hand when adding it to your skillet – you cannot mess this up so use the amounts that will make you happy.
- 3 large potatoes of choice (I used 2 sweet potatoes and 1 white potato)
- ½ large onion, diced
- 1 can organic low sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 or 2 cups of your favorite tomato sauce
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (I used Trader Joe's fat free ricotta and it's terrific!)
- 1 cup or more part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- Garlic powder
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drizzle olive oil at the bottom of your cast iron skillet and heat over low-medium heat.
- Add diced onion and stir around for 2 minutes.
- Wash your potatoes and microwave for a few minutes to soften.
- Thinly slice your potatoes in any shape you wish and slowly add to the skillet.
- Drizzle some olive oil over the potatoes as they cook, stirring frequently.
- Add oregano and garlic powder, stirring to coat.
- Cook on low-medium heat for 5 -7 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and stir.
- After 3 minutes, add your favorite tomato sauce (as much or as little as you want).
- Cook for another 5 minutes before adding dollops of ricotta cheese to the skillet.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and cook for 2 minutes before placing inside oven.
- Bake uncovered in the oven for 25 - 30 minutes, until potatoes are tender and cheese is bubbly.
Linking up with Meatless Monday today 🙂 Make this grain free skillet potato lasagna for #MeatlessMonday #grainfree #potatoes #lasagna #vegetarian #fitfluential Click To Tweet
Are you more sweet or more savory in your food choices?
Are you capable of cooking without sampling what you are making?
Favorite pre-race dinner?