Japanese Sweet Potatoes & Next Week’s Meal Plan

Confession: I went out of my way to go to Whole Foods, when I really could have picked up everything I needed at Trader Joe’s, simply because I wanted a snack from the food bar while I shopped.

Whole Foods food bar

I couldn’t help myself, I love Whole Foods’ roasted vegetables.

I didn’t seem to need that much from the grocery stores although I am sure I will have to fill in again over the next few days.

Trader Joe's

The best news ever (well, in food shopping news that is) is that Trader Joe’s now carries the Japanese sweet potatoes.

I LOVE their texture, especially when roasted in wedges. I have roasted these Japanese sweet potatoes for lunch almost every day this week and they are PERFECT when paired with peanut butter. Trust me on this.

roasted japanese sweet potatoes

Next week’s dinner planning:

As I mentioned in Monday’s post regarding My Meatless Diet, I don’t really plan out my dinners because it’s really easy to throw together my power bowl-type meals at the last minute depending upon what I am in the mood to eat.

When you don’t need to defrost and cook a meat or poultry, the planning time is reduced significantly.

However, our recent decision to plan out my son’s dinners for the week has been really helpful for both of us. He likes to be in charge of what he gets to eat and I like that we reach an agreement in advance so there’s no need to discuss/argue each night about what’s for dinner.

I am totally fine with cooking my own vegetarian dinner and a separate dinner for my son but the truth is, you really can coordinate the meals so that both the meat and meatless dinners share the same flavors and side dishes.

meal planning

How the above dinners will work for both of us:

Turkey meatballs for him, meatless meatballs for me (I haven’t made my own meatless meatballs in forever, I hope to share the recipe next week) both served with spaghetti squash.

Stir Fry bowls are so fun and customizable! We will both have the plant-based version which includes brown rice, chick peas and vegetables but for his bowl, I will add shrimp, chicken or possibly egg (my son loves if I make his more like a fried rice).

Pizza night is so simple and versatile. We both love the organic whole wheat crust from Trader Joe’s. One side loaded with veggies and cheese and one side left for my son to select his toppings of choice.

Dr. Praeger’s veggie burgers are great to have in the freezer when you need dinner in a pinch. My son loves them, especially served on a toasted English muffin loaded with pickles, ketchup and cheese and a side for both of us of my roasted potato wedges.

Quesadilla filling options are endless and easy to make vegetarian or load with chicken or steak. I use Food For Life’s Ezekiel tortillas which are now on my list (forgot to get them!) to pick up before next Thursday.

Have a great weekend 🙂

Next week's meal plan works for all of us #vegetarian #meatless #traderjoes #wholefoods #fitfluential Click To Tweet

**************

Who is running a race this weekend?

If you plan out your dinners, how often do you stick to the plan completely?

Favorite type of potato and favorite way to eat it (mashed, fried, roasted, baked…)?

• Susie @ Suzlyfe October 23, 2015, 7:38 am

Confession: I often go into WFM just to get samples.
    Susie @ Suzlyfe recently posted…Ultimate Healthy Pumpkin Recipe Menu #PumpkinWeek2015My Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma October 23, 2015, 8:29 am

How awesome that TJ’s has them for you now! Totally my favorite, my kids are obsessed too.
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake with Chocolate Cashew Butter FudgeMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 24, 2015, 11:25 am

I really need to have my son try them, I think he would like them too.

• Nikki @ will run for pizza October 23, 2015, 9:39 am

We are SO bad at planning and sticking to dinner plans. I try and try. And try. I even bought a special notepad that is FOR planning meals! And lunches, snacks, etc…I just keep trying to meal plan, and when we stick to it, it’s great, and when we don’t, eh…it’s Amy’s frozen burritos! LOL
    Nikki @ will run for pizza recently posted…Columbus Marathon 2015 recap!My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 24, 2015, 11:24 am

I think it’s normal to sometimes stick to it and sometimes skip it! I have some printed sheets hanging on the fridge which help us to plan it and stick to it. for now lol

• Gretchen | Gretchruns October 23, 2015, 10:39 am

I picked up those Japanese sweet potatoes at TJ’s and I love them! Thanks for the suggestion on cooking them..I just roasted them with some garlic olive oil and they were delicious. I have a race this weekend but I’m battling a sickness so I’m not sure how it’ll go!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Top Five Friday #31My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 24, 2015, 11:24 am

Ugh, I hope you feel better. If you don’t and don’t know what to do, I vote for skipping the race. I made a big mistake running the half in the spring after being sick. I thought I was better but I think the short virus left me weak, it was awful!

• Sheena @ Paws and Pavement October 23, 2015, 10:53 am

I made spaghetti squash and meatballs in the crockpot for dinner last night, so good! It’s such a comforting meal and healthy. I also talked with a friend about food pairing last night then saw a FB post about it, maybe I should read into it more.
    Sheena @ Paws and Pavement recently posted…Can I get a Pumpkin Cheesecake?!?!?My Profile

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl October 23, 2015, 11:01 am

I’m running the Poland Springs 5M Marathon Kickoff in Central park on Sunday…Race #7 of 9 to qualify for next year’s marathon (no idea how I’m going to actually run it, but the getting in is close.)

I really need to find those Japanese sweet potatoes, I think a weekend trip to Whole Foods or TJs (both a hike from my apartment) is in order.
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal CakeMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 24, 2015, 11:22 am

I love that you are running those races to qualify! It’s such a great option and fun too. I should’ve done it! Good luck in the race tomorrow

• Jessie C. October 23, 2015, 12:35 pm

I love those Japanese sweet potatoes of TJ’s too!

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 23, 2015, 1:05 pm

I still haven’t been able to find Japanese sweet potatoes. I’ve found white fleshed sweet potatoes, but they weren’t labeled as Japanese so… ?? I have to admit that I’m a huge fan of regular old white potatoes though. Baked up into wedges? I die.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. thinking out loud #153 .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 24, 2015, 11:04 am

Keep looking for the sweet potato varieties – I love these. They are purple skinned with white/yellow inside. So good.

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes October 23, 2015, 3:11 pm

I need to find Japanese sweet potatoes to try! I tried some yellow skinned, white fleshed ones over the summer and they were so good, which made me more eager to try the Japanese variety. Whole Foods Hot bar does have the best roasted vegetables – it’s one of my favorite places to eat when traveling.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Gluten Free Apple Pear CrumbleMy Profile

• GiGi Eats October 23, 2015, 3:55 pm

I ALWAYS go out of my way to go to Whole Foods – NO SHAME. NO SHAME AT ALL! 😉

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 24, 2015, 11:03 am

Haha – I wont feel so silly then for doing so, and quite often at that.

• Shannon October 23, 2015, 4:17 pm

Do the Japanese potatoes taste the same as regular sweet potatoes? I cannot get behind sweet potatoes! I try so hard to like them, but I cannot even gag them down. Yukon gold are my favorite.
    Shannon recently posted…Slow Cooker Garlic Mashed PotatoesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 24, 2015, 11:02 am

they are much milder and starchier in texture than a regular sweet potato – definitely think you should try them!

• Fiona October 24, 2015, 12:59 pm

I’m dying to try japanese sweet potatoes but have yet to find one anywhere in Ireland! Alas, I’ll keep hoping to spot one some day and in the meantime, I’ll keep eating all the regular sweet potatoes I can find 🙂
    Fiona recently posted…Autumn Inspiration: Blackberry Apple CrumbleMy Profile

• Janelle @ Run With No Regrets October 25, 2015, 2:42 pm

I’ve never heard of Japanese sweet potatoes…sounds delicious! That’s great that you can balance your meal planning with your son in a way that it doesn’t take too much extra effort!
    Janelle @ Run With No Regrets recently posted…Weekly Meal Plan for 10/25/15My Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets October 26, 2015, 2:22 pm

I’m coming over for veggie stir fry and quesadillas night. Cool? Cool.