Thinking Out Loud – Motherhood Moments

I throw all sorts of running and dessert stuff at you on a regular basis with only a few motherhood moments mixed in lately so here’s a quick glimpse of what it’s like for me these days as the mother of a 12-year-old witty boy.

Never a dull moment, I swear!

thinking out loud

I have told you this before but I shall tell you again. By 8:00 pm most nights of the week, I am tired and done with the world. Whatever you need or think you need from me, spare us both and save it for the morning.

My son is a night owl (I don’t understand) and at the age of 12, he is starting to respect my nighttime wishes…sort of.

He now sends me texts rather than coming into my room to talk to me all about what he feels is of utter importance while I am sleeping.

This text was sent to me Sunday night, the night before returning to school after missing a week while he was sick.

text

No, I did not wake him up at 6:00 am, I have enough trouble waking him up at 7:00 am so I am not sure who he was fooling.

I was also greeted with a text Wednesday morning asking me to do his French homework real quick when I woke up. Page 27 in the textbook to be exact.

Perhaps if he typed the text in French, I would have been persuaded enough to actually do the assignment for him.

Let’s see….what else went on this week.

Oh yes, his soccer game. Now that my son plays on the school soccer team, no longer do I have to shuffle around to bring him to and from his games and practices as everything occurs directly after school and I just meet the team at the field for games.

This sounds like a lovely concept in theory but, um, the other day? I found myself at the wrong field watching the wrong team.

And I didn’t realize it right away at all. It took me quite some time.

soccer

But look! It’s such a big field and everyone starts to look the same to me in those uniforms! I figured my son was on the bench since he had been out sick all last week but after a while, I decided I really couldn’t see him on the bench and then after a few more minutes, realized I was watching the wrong game.

His game was an away game at a different school field and the team I was watching in error was the 8th grade team instead.

Honest mistake, really it was. Okay fine – Clearly I am not soccer mom and I don’t come with a chair but I always have dinner prepared in advance and ready for when we get home so that counts for something doesn’t it?

New York state law said it was okay for my son to sit in the front passenger seat of my car once he turned 12. I had no intentions of telling him about this because if it were up to me, he would sit in the backseat forever.

I need to be in control of the radio and now I have him touching my stations…and turning the volume up.

I always considered myself a cool mom because I listen to cool music at what I thought was a loud volume yet every single time he gets in the car with me, he turns the volume up even higher and I find myself telling him I cannot drive with such loud music because I need to pay attention to the road and the possibility of emergency vehicles.

I am getting old, aren’t I.

And then there was the drop off at a party recently where I witnessed one of his little girl friends wearing the exact same outfit I have hanging in my closet.

I am trying to decide who is out of place on this one, me the 37-year-old or her, the 12-year-old.

And in coloring book news, which I am throwing in to this post since coloring is technically a childish activity, I keep seeing commercials for adult coloring books.

Is it wrong that I prefer my Lisa Frank coloring book? Do I need to color in an adult coloring book because I am technically an adult?

lisa frank coloring book

I don’t know, the adult coloring books don’t attract me. I prefer the child like patterns of my youth which may explain why I am shopping in the same clothing stores as the kids.

Be sure to check out what everyone else is thinking about today 🙂

Motherhood moments from the week #thinkingoutloud #motherhood #kids #parenting #soccer… Click To Tweet

***********

What time at night is your cut off time for speaking with people?

Do you have an adult coloring book or still like a kid coloring books?

What was for dinner last night?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine October 22, 2015, 5:24 am

I think its great that he texts you like that! And too funny that you were at the wrong game.My cutoff time for speaking to people is 8, and even thats a little later than I would like. I really don’t like talking to people that I don’t know well at night- family is a different story because they know its getting close to my bedtime!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…All Over The Place Life UpdatesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 24, 2015, 11:32 am

Exactly – my family and closest friends know not to try to talk to me at night!

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma October 22, 2015, 5:54 am

The texting is hysterical and I can already relate to the outfit thing. My 8 year old and I basically dress the same and I often wish I could buy their leggings in my size 🙂
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Missing Sports Bra Dreams & Such – TOLMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 24, 2015, 11:31 am

HAHA – it’s kinda sad that I enjoy shopping at Denny’s for myself sometimes.

• Miss Polkadot October 22, 2015, 6:06 am

Oh thank you for reassuring me – we will pretend you explicitely did – that I’m perfectly fine using my Dora colouring book. Let’s face it: I’m cheap [food being the exception] and those adult colouring books are not only expensive but apparently take ages to be shipped.
    Wrong football game, early bed times: I still think you’re a great mum because it often sounds like you were more of a friend to your son and who wouldn’t want that? The one expection being that a friend might do your homework but that’s where you should definitely keep the parental no ;).
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Do you dare to go naked?My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 24, 2015, 11:31 am

Very good point! Only friends should do the homework, not the moms lol

• Susie @ SuzLyfe October 22, 2015, 8:36 am

I don’t think I ever would have tried any of those texts with my mom. Though one time I did text her from bathroom one on side of our house because I was out of toilet paper…
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Running Coach Next Steps + Wine Pumpkin Hummus (Vegan, Gluten Free)My Profile

• Gretchen | Gretchruns October 22, 2015, 9:02 am

That text is so funny! He sounds so polite 🙂 I don’t think I knew what lox was until I was about 20 so he is much more sophisticated than me! I would have to see what outfit you’re talking about to see who is the weird one but you always dress really cute so it’s probably her! Plus, you look about half your age so you should dress young too 😉
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Story Behind the Pic #1My Profile

• Jen October 22, 2015, 9:05 am

Love this post! I can relate in so many ways 😉 LOL

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 22, 2015, 9:29 am

I picked up an adult colouring book, but I’m honestly having a hard time getting into it. Too many tiny little details to pay attention to — I honestly think I prefer the children’s colouring books. And I never really thought about that, so thanks 😛
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. thinking out loud #153 .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 24, 2015, 11:29 am

I definitely do not like those adult coloring books. Those little details are my issue along with the fact that pretty fun and happy pictures are missing! It’s all patterns. I like the happy ice creams and bears and butterflies and rainbows!

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl October 22, 2015, 10:34 am

I adored Lisa Frank and I really hope it’s still around when (if I’m lucky enough!) I have kids. I think the outfit thing is different now since we all run around in “active wear” all the time (seriously I now have either work clothes or workout clothes, I don’t do jeans anymore)!
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…WIAW #28: Sweet Potatoes to Spaghetti SquashMy Profile

• Sarah @pickyrunner October 22, 2015, 10:54 am

HAHAHAHAH HIS TEXT!!! Omg I would die. He’s such a character.
    Also we have so much to catch up on. Today hopefully!!
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…TOL: Back to RealityMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 22, 2015, 3:48 pm

I keep meaning to send you an email and then I get side tracked. Lots for me type to you right now! lol

• Lesq October 22, 2015, 11:53 am

LMAO from this post! I can relate to all and you are a cool mom!

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes October 22, 2015, 12:34 pm

The text from your son is too funny! My sister did the same thing when she was in high school. I’ve done the same thing as you did with the soccer game with my sister’s horse shows – in my defense, all of the horses look the same!
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Hiking at Snow LakeMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 22, 2015, 3:47 pm

Ha, I am so glad I am not the only one to watch the wrong thing without realizing at first! BTW – I am still having trouble leaving a comment on your site through bloglovin, I don’t know what it is, it sometimes sounds like an ad is trying to play and when it’s trying to play, my comment pauses. Not sure if my comment today posted.

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes October 22, 2015, 3:56 pm

That’s so weird! I didn’t see your comment today, I’m sorry! 🙁 I’ve been having trouble loading my own site on mobile because of the ads – I have no idea why they’re being so weird and the technology is so confusing, but hopefully I can fix it!
        Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Hiking at Snow LakeMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 24, 2015, 11:27 am

believe me, I get it! I can’t stand the technology side of the blogging stuff!

• Tiffany @ The Chi-Athlete October 22, 2015, 1:55 pm

I need to color more, man. Seriously. It’s so calming! 🙂
    Tiffany @ The Chi-Athlete recently posted…TOLT: It Doesn’t Feel Like Halloween Until…My Profile

• Shannon October 22, 2015, 6:54 pm

I need to get one of those adult coloring books! They look like fun. I am definitely not a late night person. I don’t function well past 10pm.
    Shannon recently posted…Slow Cooker Garlic Mashed PotatoesMy Profile

• GiGi Eats October 23, 2015, 12:20 am

My evening CUT OFF time used to be like 6pm! ha ha ha aha ha ha aha! But with man-friend, that’s hard, cause we are always together, talking and just having a good time. That being said, I wind down/sleep around 11pm or so… And unless I talk in my sleep, that’s when it’s NO MORE TALKING time!

• Meghan@ CleanEatsFastFeets October 26, 2015, 2:19 pm

I watched the wrong softball game for a good while thinking it was the Hubby’s team so you’re not alone. Also, I don’t always have dinner ready so you’re way more prepared.

I say color in whatever books you like.