WIAW- Birthday Edition

I apologize if you had any difficulty loading my blog yesterday. While I cannot explain the issues, I had them as well, which is also the reason I am behind on responding to your comments. I hate when things like this happen!

Luckily I was able to get into my site to write this post. I mean, imagine if I wasn’t able to show you what we ate yesterday for my son’s birthday?

WHAT-I-ATE-WEDNESDAY-NEW-BUTTON-PEAS-AND-CRAYONS

Breakfast:

So normally I make a special stack of birthday pancakes (click here to see last year’s birthday pancakes) but not this year. Ohhh no. As we discussed yesterday, I didn’t want to deal with the questions about what type of flour I used or if there was mashed banana in the batter so instead, I suggested we go out for a bagel store breakfast on the way to school.

Of course I had coffee and oatmeal when I woke up though, I can’t really wait very long to eat after waking up.

oatmeal

My son is more savory than me so telling him bagels meant an egg bagel with lox cream cheese plus some scrambled eggs. You know, the total opposite of what I would ever order.

bagel breakfast

I had a cup of coffee and then had another bowl of oatmeal (unpictured) after my run. I had wanted a fruit cup from the bagel store but they didn’t have any that I really liked. No watermelon or cantaloupe?! It was weird.

Lunch:

Here is how we know I properly raised a little foodie. My son requested The Cheesecake Factory’s corn chowder soup on his birthday a few months ago. The only problem is, The Cheesecake Factory only offers this soup on Monday’s menu.

We devised the plan, way back when, that I would pick it up special on Monday so that he could bring it to school on Tuesday (yesterday) in a thermos for his birthday lunch.

I know right, I am totally mother of the year.

corn chowder soup

I had a power bowl on a plate, per the usual lately. I can’t get enough roasted butternut squash.

power bowl

I emotionally ate my computer issues in the afternoon with a few apples with peanut butter.

apple with peanut butter

Dinner:

After soccer practice, we went to Vincent’s Clam Bar, which is becoming the birthday tradition.

dinner at Vincent's

We shared the fried zucchini and fried mozzarella, I had the zucchini linguine and he had what appears to be food covered in mozzarella cheese. Not really sure what but it looks like meatballs and some pastas. No idea but we loved every bite.

Birthday Desserts:

It’s a good thing that the birthday cake my son wanted matches my dessert desires.

birthday cake

Chocolate fudge layer cake. My heart is honestly racing still from the amount of chocolate I consumed last night but it was worth every bite.

As were these cookies. Have you heard of Schmackary’s?

schmackeries cookies

The above box contained a crazy good variety of fresh baked cookies (like chocolate chip, chocolate explosion, funfetti, peanut butter after dark…) so many that I don’t even know which I liked more. I love an original chocolate chip but the chocolate explosion? Oh my goodness.

schmackery's cookies

It’s a good thing we have a ton of cookies and some cake left to keep the birthday feeling alive for the rest of the week. I may need a bite or two if I experience any more site issues. So far so good today, fingers crossed!

What we ate birthday edition #wiaw #birthday #cake #vincentsclambar #schmackarys #cookies… Click To Tweet

Be sure to check out what everyone else is eating today!

*****************

If you are a blogger, have you been having site issues lately? Have you considered switching hosting companies or upgraded your space?

Do you request specific restaurants or meals on your birthday?

Favorite kind of birthday cake/dessert?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine October 7, 2015, 5:30 am

It looks like you guys got to eat some good stuff to celebrate his bday! I haven’t had any site issues lately (knock on wood) but that would drive my crazy. I need to start figuring what I want to eat for my birthday next week..I’ve been totally avoiding the fact that it is right around the corner. I get very much in denial about my birthday approaching:)
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Monday’s Meals and New RecipesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 7, 2015, 8:30 am

I don’t think I realized or remembered your birthday is next week. So exciting! You need a really good birthday cake 🙂

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets October 7, 2015, 6:50 am

I could happily live on that cake and your power bowl for the rest of my life.

I hope all the techie issues get worked out soon.

• melissa October 7, 2015, 7:47 am

Oh man, that power bowl. Yum. It has everything I love. Everything looks great!

• Emily October 7, 2015, 8:02 am

For birthdays, we usually have people pick their meal and dessert that they’d like. Your birthday looks like it was really fun and full of good eats! I like birthday cake. 🙂

• Gretchen | Gretchruns October 7, 2015, 8:08 am

Ok, next birthday I am staying with you! You know how to celebrate right! For birthdays I usually pick someplace to go, but lately I’ve been on trips during my birthday (it’s in June, so it’s the best time to travel!) This year we were in NYC, last year was Canada and the year before was Europe. Needless to say, we always go to a different place to eat!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Wednesday Review : New ShoesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 7, 2015, 8:27 am

My birthday is june too, I should plan a trip for my next birthday. Great idea!

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma October 7, 2015, 8:14 am

Your son’s bagel order is spot on for my taste! I really miss good bagels with all the fixings 🙂 The cake looks awesome too, and cookies! Gee I’m still hungry it seems and I just ate a huge breakfast. No major site issues lately but now I’m going to worry.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 7, 2015, 8:27 am

I am telling you, you guys have similar tastes in food, especially the eggs (lol)

• Alyssa @ RenaissanceRunnerGirl October 7, 2015, 8:22 am

Happy birthday to your not-so-little guy! I have definitely heard of (and tasted) Schmakary’s back in my pre-wheat-allergy days. I believe one of my summer camp friends had parents who decided to give them a cookie cake for their bat mitzvah from there…EPIC. Of course this was now like 11 years ago which makes me shudder.
    Alyssa @ RenaissanceRunnerGirl recently posted…WIAW #26 + Tuna Salad Melt RecipeMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 7, 2015, 8:26 am

I was wondering last night if they had cookie cakes! So funny. I didn’t forget to read your race recap, I have had serious site issues and issues loading other blogs. Today seems better, it’s on my list!

• Jen October 7, 2015, 9:21 am

That cake! oh my…lucky boy!!! What a great food bday 🙂

• Kim October 7, 2015, 9:38 am

Oh, your power bowls always look so amazing. And that cake… Yum. Where did you get it? Or did you make it?

• Jessie October 7, 2015, 9:47 am

I’ll have what you had on my next birthday… in July! I think it’s so sweet that you & your son were able to enjoy celebrating your birthday together! He sounds like such a lovely boy!
    Jessie recently posted…Fun City Play Date + WIAWMy Profile

• Sarah @pickyrunner October 7, 2015, 10:28 am

THAT CAKE! (insert heart eyed emoji here). I’m glad you guys really celebrated big! He seems like such a trip haha

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 7, 2015, 10:37 am

We’re not going to talk about the blogging issues I’ve had lately, mmmkay? Instead we’re going to talk about that chocolate cake, because I seriously can’t think of anything else after seeing it. You know those days where your appetite and cravings are out of control and nothing seems to satisfy them? A chocolate dessert -always- will. I could have used this yesterday.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. no bake brownie bites .My Profile

• Suzy October 7, 2015, 10:45 am

You’re the only other person I know who can handle that amount of sugar and chocolate and not die. My kindred spirit. <3
    Suzy recently posted…Woozy Wednesday: Witchy WomanMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 7, 2015, 11:29 am

hahaha! I love my dessert but my body doesn’t always agree. Too much chocolate before bed makes my heart race all night! I will need a break from the cake for now…

• Jamie October 7, 2015, 11:38 am

Totally request specific dinners and desserts on my birthday – seven layer red velvet cake please! Although that cake does look quite delicious… and those cookies OMG… I don’t know how you aren’t eating the whole box right now. They wouldn’t stand a chance in my house!
    Jamie recently posted…Running FastedMy Profile

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes October 7, 2015, 12:50 pm

My mouth is watering over that cake, but I would seriously fly to the East Coast for those cookies. I’d probably just get a box of those for my birthday and eat them all with no shame, no matter how much my body hated me later for it. Also, this post totally inspired me to make some bagels soon. Hope your tech issues resolve!
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Hansons Marathon Method Post-Race ReviewMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 7, 2015, 1:59 pm

Hahaha – these cookies are seriously amazing. Between the cookies and the cake, I don’t think my body was too happy with me. I was up all night with a racing heart (happens when I eat too much sugar/chocolate at night) so I gotta stay away for a few days. They are worth flying here though! Maybe you can get them if you run the New York City Marathon next year?!

• Shannon October 7, 2015, 2:26 pm

That cake looks amazing! You definitely know how to celebrate 🙂
    Shannon recently posted…Bread Pudding with Cinnamon Custard GlazeMy Profile

• Julia @ Lord Still Loves Me October 7, 2015, 2:38 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your son. 🙂 I think it is so sweet you went and got him the soup ahead of time so he could enjoy it on his special day. Love that!
    Julia @ Lord Still Loves Me recently posted…Sickness in Recovery WIAW: Full day of food.My Profile

• lindsay October 7, 2015, 4:20 pm

bagel stops are the the best! and that cake, and well, that salad. Oh goodness, I’d love this day! <3 happy bday to your son

• heather October 7, 2015, 5:07 pm

Congrats, mother of the year for sure. Was he excited about the corn chowder? That cake made me want to lick the screen. Thanks for sharing
    bakingrunner.blogspot.com

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 8, 2015, 12:58 pm

He was excited about the soup, thank you! And yes, that cake was amazing.

• Dani @ Dani California Cooks October 7, 2015, 5:42 pm

What a fun day of eats! Glad you got your power lunch, plus all of that chocolate. I’m a sweet tooth gal all the way!
    Dani @ Dani California Cooks recently posted…WIAW – Working from HomeMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 8, 2015, 12:58 pm

Power bowls for lunch and chocolate for dessert is my idea of a balanced day 🙂

• Kerri McGrail October 7, 2015, 11:09 pm

I am definitely a sweet over savory girl any day! That power bowl looks delicious! I love making power bowls- just a chuck everything in a bowl kinda meal that turns out amazing! I’m not sure if I have a favorite birthday cake flavor- I’m not really a cake person, but I think I would like a pb-banana- choc chip cake- now that sounds good!

• Arman @ thebigmansworld October 11, 2015, 12:29 pm

You are one epic mum/mom. (Can I use mom yet?)

I also memorised your order at Vincent’s Clam bar. 😀
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…No Bake Death By Chocolate Protein BarsMy Profile

• Jayne October 11, 2015, 6:15 pm

Awww I would say you DO win mother of the year award wow you worked hard for that birthday! haha But were rewarded so greatly 😉
    Jayne recently posted…Confessions of a Monday Morning.My Profile