What I Ate Yesterday

We still aren’t talking about the weather for this weekend’s half marathon but, if you must know, the tropical storm rain that has been threatening my race is looking like it was upgraded (or about to be upgraded depending which channel you watch) to a hurricane. And while we aren’t talking about it, let me just say, it’s still too soon to really know the path or how it affects New York or how much rain (and wind) will actually happen Saturday morning.

Will the race be canceled? Rescheduled? Maybe the forecast will be wrong? Maybe the storm will take a totally different path and not affect us? Maybe it will just be some wind (I hate wind) or maybe just a little rain, I can run in rain.

Let’s talk about what I ate yesterday instead. It was a pretty busy Tuesday around here because I had to be in the city during the day for a meeting and then get back in time for my son’s first soccer game of the season.

WHAT-I-ATE-WEDNESDAY-NEW-BUTTON-PEAS-AND-CRAYONS

Bright and early yesterday morning I prepared another pot of oatmeal (4 servings) because we were down to only one bowl of oatmeal left in the refrigerator and I like to have servings ready at all times.

As you know, I eat A TON of oatmeal (as does my son some weeks) so it goes quick.

oatmeal

I had a small bowl with some banana (unpictured) before my workout and then another bowl after my workout.

I simmered some apples with cinnamon just like I showed you in Monday’s Autumn Oatmeal recipe post only this time, I added bananas to the pan too. My son loves when I cook the bananas in cinnamon to use on top of his waffles.

I piled the cinnamon apples on top of my already prepared oatmeal that was mixed with blueberries, Skoop and some peanut butter.

oatmeal

I already had a cup or two of coffee but stopped at Dunkin Donuts on my way into the city in order to take advantage of the free medium cups they were giving away for National Coffee Day.

dunkin donuts coffee

The traffic in and around the city was HORRENDOUS because of United Nations meetings taking place this week. At least that’s what the flashing sign told me as I sat, not moving, needing a bathroom (too much coffee!).

I was not taking the time to grab lunch in the city in fear of not getting back home in time so thankfully I packed my emergency peanut butter on cinnamon raisin Ezekiel bread sandwich.

peanut butter on ezekiel bread

By the time I got home, I was hungry again and rushing to meet my son’s school soccer team at another school’s field for the game.

My go-to quick meal…A Power Bowl on a plate.

power bowl

Quickly roasted sweet potatoes, roasted frozen broccoli and brussels sprouts with chick peas and avocado (added after picture).

I made this skillet lasagna Sunday night as requested by my son which provided him with nice leftovers, perfect for reheating quickly after soccer.

Look how pretty!

skillet lasagna

It’s quite good although I wish he allowed me to add vegetables.

I picked at the lasagna a bit last night after soccer but I was really in the mood for something sweet instead.

I love giant honey crisp apples, don’t you?

apple with peanut butter

It looks giant but, if you want to know the truth, after dicing it up and eating it, I still wanted more. So I cut up some of a granny smith apple too.

I am totally on a few apples a day lately and not looking to break the habit.

Be sure to check out what everyone else is eating today 🙂

**************

Who else is tracking the weather for this weekend? Is it possibly affecting your race or another important event?

Did you get your free coffee yesterday in honor of National Coffee Day? From where?

What food are you afraid to run out of in your house? Peanut butter, apples, oatmeal.

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine September 30, 2015, 5:35 am

I have been loving apples lately but they never seem to be big enough! The ones I shared in my post are actually tiny so its totally appropriate to eat two or more at once. We had some scary windy/rain last night, maybe it will move through to you guys earlier than this weekend? I have been checking the weather every day but it seriously keeps changing (at least for around here) so you never know what will happen!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…WIAW: Keeping It SimpleMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 1, 2015, 6:16 am

OMG the little apples? I cut up three at once. The weather is terrible but Saturday is looking to be the least terrible at the moment! I will ignore the windy part, I hate running in the wind.

• Susie @ SuzLyfe September 30, 2015, 7:14 am

Love the baked/simmered apples 😀 We don’t run out of carrots or ice cream or carbs. For my husband, it is milk, oj, and his cereal.
    Didn’t this crazy weather happen to you for a half last year? Am I remembering that wrong?
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Desk Job Fitness 3: Stretch and Tone at Your Desk #BosuStrongMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 1, 2015, 6:15 am

I don’t think this happened last year? The only thing I can think of was flurries during a 10k in March, that was pretty unexpected and slippery. I think that’s what you are remembering 🙂

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables September 30, 2015, 8:28 am

I got a free cup from Dunkin yesterday, too! Not a bad way to start the day 🙂

I actually JUST tried that peanut butter from Trader Joe’s this morning! I really liked the added crunch, although I know I probably have a bunch of chia seeds stuck in my teeth now 😉 haha. Happy WIAW!

• Haley September 30, 2015, 9:21 am

Looks like you had some yummy eats yesterday! Your power bowl looks amazing and full of yummy veggies. I am afraid of running out of fruit in the morning for my oatmeal or yogurt. So much so that I keep a bunch frozen just in case!
    Haley recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday 11/30/15My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 1, 2015, 6:14 am

I keep a frozen stash too! Would you believe I sort of ran out of my frozen favorites yesterday? I don’t know how that happened.

• Jamie September 30, 2015, 9:31 am

I’m crossing all my fingers and toes the weather does not affect your weekend! I cannot run out of oatmeal, nut butter, bananas, or apples. All essentials that I eat, ever.single. day. That skillet lasagna looks delicious!!
    Jamie recently posted…WIAW Little Bit of This, Little Bit of ThatMy Profile

• Suzy September 30, 2015, 9:45 am

I’m not talking about the weather there this weekend but… A HURRICANE?!?!?! What the… that’s just NOT chill. Hopefully it turns. Like, now.
    Suzy recently posted…Woozy Wednesday: Pumpkin AleMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 1, 2015, 6:13 am

Uh huh, it appeared out of nowhere. It looks like the race day will be okay, hopefully the storm just passes out to sea or something.

• Arman @ thebigmansworld September 30, 2015, 9:48 am

I will actually cry if you don’t share that skillet lasagna recipe. OR, I’ll steal those oatmeal bowls with the (Extra large) sprinkles. 🙂

I love how you carry sandwiches with you in case of being stuck in traffic!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Easy One Pan Caramelized Vegetables + WIAW #272My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 1, 2015, 6:12 am

You like my sprinkle bowls?! Got them years ago at Crate and Barrel (wedding registry gift!)…I am going to share the skillet lasagna recipe soon, I want to make it again with vegetables (of course)

• melissa September 30, 2015, 10:20 am

I hate running out of anything for baking – chocolate chips, sugar, flour, butter, etc. Also breakfast supplies – peanut butter, egg whites, etc.

I don’t have any races this weekend but am hoping the weather passes…we’l see!
    melissa recently posted…WIAW #33 – Notsomeatless MondayMy Profile

• Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl September 30, 2015, 10:26 am

First the Pope, now the UN…traffic this week is just nuts! And this weather. I’m running a local half on Sunday morning here in CT, on a whim, and now I’m getting nervous. I don’t mind rain or sprinkling, but hate running in a deluge.

I often eat an apple and decide to eat half of another. Or if I have those little baby size apples you sometimes get in orchard bags I can easily do 2-3…
    Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…WIAW #25: Gluten Free in NashvilleMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 1, 2015, 6:10 am

I really hope the weather is ok for both of us! The traffic has been out of control. The UN traffic, the amount of police directing traffic the other day, was just awful.

• Lisa @ Lisa the Vegetarian September 30, 2015, 11:15 am

A skillet lasagna – what a good idea! The hurricane is potentially going to hit us here too. I hope it doesn’t mess up your race!
    Lisa @ Lisa the Vegetarian recently posted…Our Adventures in DisneyMy Profile

• Emily September 30, 2015, 11:23 am

Peanut butter on cinnamon raisin sounds really tasty!

• Sarah @pickyrunner September 30, 2015, 11:31 am

Ahhhhh fingers crossed that the storm doesn’t hit you too badly so you can still run this race. That lasagna looks SO GOOD. Feed me.

• Allegra September 30, 2015, 11:51 am

Fingers crossed that the weather is okay for you.
    Feeling inspired by your sautéed apples. YUM!
    No free coffee here, but still celebrated with several cups!
    Afraid of running out of milk ( I really only use it in my coffee, I need a splash in my morning cup!!)
    Allegra recently posted…Warsaw and a MarathonMy Profile

• heather September 30, 2015, 12:29 pm

I was going to get the free coffee, then decided not to at the last minute. Your food looks so good. I love oatmeal so much. Thanks for sharing
    bakingrunner.blogspot.com

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes September 30, 2015, 1:28 pm

Your skillet lasagna looks delicious! We never run out of oats, bananas, or coffee.
    Also, I’m still trying to figure out what’s going on with my blog and the comments! Technology is so frustrating and nonsensical sometimes.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Intrinsic versus Extrinsic Motivation and Marathon GoalsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 1, 2015, 6:07 am

Running out of coffee is probably the worst! I end up at my neighbor with my mug when it happens lol. I was able to comment this morning, it was better but still slow. I know we keep saying it but ugh I hate website issues and technology.

• Shannon September 30, 2015, 2:11 pm

That is scary about the hurricane! I hope everything works out for you and it doesnt end up hitting NY!

• Dani @ Dani California Cooks September 30, 2015, 2:56 pm

Your lunch looks delicious! I love sweet potatoes, broccoli and chickpeas all so much on their own.
    Dani @ Dani California Cooks recently posted…Why I Went to See a Nutritionist – Part 1My Profile

• rachel @ Athletic Avocado September 30, 2015, 5:10 pm

i really need to try that skillet lasagna!! it looks amazing 🙂
    rachel @ Athletic Avocado recently posted…Paleo Pumpkin Bread Breakfast PizzaMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 1, 2015, 6:05 am

I have to share the recipe, it’s really easy and delicious which I think has to do with the cast iron pan.

• GiGi Eats September 30, 2015, 11:21 pm

Cinnamon Apples – MMMMM!!! I always tell people who are trying to ditch the sugar in their lives to bake apples with cinnamon!
    GiGi Eats recently posted…A Pie That Will Make You CreamMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 1, 2015, 6:04 am

Totally agree! Apples warmed with cinnamon taste so sweet on their own.