Autumn Oatmeal

I like to do everything on the early side. Wake up early, eat breakfast early, run early, clean early, get assignments and projects done early, lunch early, dinner early and go to bed early. So, when Friday night's dinner plans were set for LATE (well, late according to my early), I told myself to just keep eating throughout the day as to never get too hungry so that I could make it in one friendly piece come dinner time. dinner at Morrison's We had dinner with friends at Morrison's. Best roasted sweet potatoes ever along with a salad, burnt Brussels sprouts leaves (so good!) and the chocolate chip cookie skillet for dessert (it was okay - it definitely wasn't cooked in the skillet, was more for presentation). So how did I make it until around 9:00 pm for dinner? What did I eat all day long? Oatmeal. My new favorite Autumn Oatmeal to be exact. autumn oatmeal made with roasted cinnamon apples and raisins While everyone is busy obsessing over pumpkin everything, I am busy with my apples. Granny Smith, Pink Lady and the seasonal (expensive) favorite, Honey Crisp. The oatmeal genius that I am (when you can live on oatmeal all day every day you are considered an oatmeal genius in my book) decided to simmer up a pan of diced apples and raisins all sprinkled with cinnamon to add to my oatmeal for a change. Okay so technically the apples are not roasted but they come out of the pan tasting roasted so we can call them roasted. While feeling all Fall-like and fancy for cooking my fruit before adding it to my standard oatmeal bowl, I added some peanut butter to the pan too because every apple deserves some peanut butter, don't you think? Autumn Oatmeal made with roasted cinnamon apples and raisins I am not one for measuring my ingredients, especially my peanut butter, but when peanut butter gets warm, it becomes melty which means less is often needed to reach full flavor effect. Autumn Oatmeal made with roasted cinnamon apples and raisins As for your oatmeal, you can use whatever type you wish. I always have my servings prepared (old-fashioned rolled oats cooked with steel-cut oats) but you can quickly make some oatmeal on the stove (best method) OR microwave (quick method) using old-fashioned rolled oats OR use a packet of instant oatmeal OR even use these apples to top off your overnight oats that you have prepared in advance. Autumn Oatmeal made with roasted cinnamon apples and raisins

Quick Autumn Oatmeal notes:

I used one large Honey Crisp apple but you can use any type, size and amount you wish. Make as much or as little as you like, depending upon how much fruit you want in your oatmeal/how much you want as leftovers. This apple/raisin/peanut butter mixture can easily be cooked and stored in the refrigerator for snacks/desserts/meals later in the week. Of course I added Skoop protein powder to my oatmeal <- great flavor combination between the Skoop and the cinnamon apples. Don't forget you can save 30% right now on Skoop using the code THANKYOU30 at checkout. This meal is dairy free and refined sugar-free too. Make it gluten-free by using gluten-free oatmeal. I do not measure my ingredients. Use as many raisins as you wish. I used Crunch Time peanut butter but you can use any nut butter. As for the amount, again, less can actually be more for this dish. Less than a tablespoon (if you measure it) would work just fine. It provides peanut buttery flavor without losing sight of the taste of the apples cooked with cinnamon. Optional yummy add-ins: cranberries, walnuts, almonds, use two types of apples for flavor variety or a spoonful of pumpkin to thicken and flavor the oatmeal while giving yourself a dose of vegetables!
Autumn Oatmeal

This Autumn Oatmeal is made without added sugar and is dairy free. Packed with Fall flavor and lots of fiber, you will be full and satisfied for hours.
Author:
Recipe type: breakfast
Serves: 2 servings
Ingredients
  • 1 large diced apple of choice (I used honey crisp)
  • Coconut Oil Cooking Spray
  • Raisins
  • Cinnamon
  • Peanut Butter*
  • 2 servings of oatmeal
  • Almond milk (optional)
  • Skoop protein powder (optional)
Instructions
  1. Dice (and peel if you want) your apple(s).
  2. Heat a lightly greased skillet with coconut oil cooking spray or coconut oil over medium heat.
  3. Add apples and raisins to the skillet and sprinkle with cinnamon.
  4. Stir frequently, adjusting the temperature to prevent the mixture from burning.
  5. While mixture is cooking, prepare your oatmeal if you don't have servings prepared in advance.
  6. After 5-7 minutes, add peanut butter to the apples and raisins and stir to coat.
  7. When apples are tender to your liking, remove skillet from heat.
  8. Divide apple mixture and add to already prepared bowls of oatmeal.
  9. Can be eaten over hot or cold oatmeal, adding both Skoop protein powder and a splash of almond milk to the oatmeal if you desire.
Notes
*I did not measure the peanut butter but a little bit will go a long way. For a giant honey crisp apple, 2 teaspoons would probably add enough flavor but going up to 1 tablespoon would awesome too. Feel free to adjust amounts to your liking!

Make this autumn bowl of oatmeal today! #oatmeal #autumn #apples @healthyskoop #recipes Click To Tweet

******

Are you an early person overall or more on the late side with everything that you do?

Fall favorite of choice – apples or pumpkin everything?

What food could you eat all day every day without getting sick of it?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine September 28, 2015, 5:33 am

Thank you for sharing a non-pumpkin recipe!! I have been loving apples lately too. And I always like raisins but forget about them. I am definitely an early person and I struggle with late dinners too!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 28, 2015, 4:47 pm

I used to LOVE raisins yet these days, I sometimes forget about them too! They make a nice combo with the apples when heated up and combined with the oatmeal.

• Tina muir September 28, 2015, 5:42 am

Join us for meatless monday friend!? This sounds DELICIOUS! Love the look of those apples, I can almost taste them through the screen 😀 I know what you mean about eating late, in England, when my friends go out to dinner, they go OUT at 8, so we eat about 9, I HATE waiting that late for dinner!!!!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 28, 2015, 4:46 pm

How did I forget to join meatless Monday?! I have to add it. thanks 🙂

• lindsay September 28, 2015, 10:55 pm

i was just about to say that! because this could be my dinner and I’d be happy! oh autumn flavors and apples and oatmeal and —> BRINNER

• Susie @ Suzlyfe September 28, 2015, 6:49 am

If I make it to 9:30 these days, I consider it a success! Grandma status for certain. With regards to being early/on time, I am either quite early and people don’t know what to do with me, very on time (as if magic), or rather late. I don’t tend to hit the buffer zone!

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables September 28, 2015, 7:47 am

I like to do things on the early side too! We usually eat dinner at 6, so when someone suggests a 7:30 dinner I’m like “how am I going to wait that long?!” haha 🙂

That oatmeal sounds perfect for the chilly weather!
    Liz @ I Heart Vegetables recently posted…Quick & Easy: Black Bean and Corn QuesadillaMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 28, 2015, 4:45 pm

I just snack my way through the day when late dinner plans happen, that way, I never get too hungry because hungry makes me mean!

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma September 28, 2015, 8:06 am

Ooh those honeycrisp apples! We picked a bunch of jona golds yesteday and those are good too. Still trying to figure out exactly what to do with all the apples we have. I’m thinking applesauce and apple crisp to start! I also have some gf oats that I might try this recipe with!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…NYC Marathon Training Week 11 RecapMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 28, 2015, 4:44 pm

I make a great apple crisp, I should probably get around to doing that too!

• Jamie September 28, 2015, 9:19 am

I’m totally a morning person. I like to be rolling on workouts, chores, organization by 8am. Even on the weekends – which my boyfriend totally LOVES. Haha. I am an apply fan through and through – year round. And I could totally eat oatmeal and eggs every single day and never get tired of either of them. That and pizza. Definitely pizza. Have a fabulous Monday!
    Jamie recently posted…#MIMMMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 28, 2015, 4:43 pm

Oatmeal and pizza for sure, I am iffy with the eggs part but most people seem to adore eggs like I adore peanut butter!

• heather September 28, 2015, 9:43 am

I am a early person. I have to be early for everything. I can eat oatmeal all day long especially with a glob of peanut butter. I am glad to know somebody else can appreciate something besides Pumpkin.
    bakingrunner.blogspot.com

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 28, 2015, 4:42 pm

Oatmeal and peanut butter is just the best, isn’t it? It’s my favorite combination.

• Arman @ thebigmansworld September 28, 2015, 9:49 am

Confession- Since I’ve moved to this part of the world, my bed time has gotten earlier and earlier (minus weekends/Friday nights unless I’m in). I am a morning person though and anything past 3pm and I’m brainless 😀 This oatmeal looks amazing!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Updates, news + Fitbit Flex Giveaway!My Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 28, 2015, 10:10 am

You know what’s crazy? I’m honestly not that crazy about pumpkin. It’s -okay-, but there are a bunch of flavours that I would take over it. Like apple. Or cinnamon anything. Or fig or pear. Pumpkin is kind of at the very bottom 😆
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. link love 9/27 .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 28, 2015, 4:41 pm

I don’t love the flavor of pumpkin either. I like adding it to certain things but I am not omg pumpkin. And, I definitely do not like pumpkin pie.

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets September 28, 2015, 2:00 pm

Apples are my favorite this time of year. I’m consuming an average of two a day and I like it. You’ve got a great combination going here.

I never would have made it to 9 p.m. for dinner without a nap. 🙂

• Shannon September 28, 2015, 2:36 pm

I like both apples and pumpkin, but apples don’t get nearly as much love! I am always early for everything!
    Shannon recently posted…Margherita Portabella PizzaMy Profile

• Heather@hungryforbalance September 28, 2015, 2:55 pm

I do love pumpkin stuff, but I definitely love apples more. Honeycrisp ARE the best, what why are they so expensive??
    Heather@hungryforbalance recently posted…Anxiety: Why am I faking it?My Profile

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes September 28, 2015, 3:39 pm

Yes to oatmeal! I eat it almost every day and never tire of it. Apples definitely beat out pumpkin, even if just by a bit, in my book. I’m an early person as well, and have to snack if I’m going to make it to dinner at any time past 8.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 28, 2015, 4:39 pm

I kept trying to comment on your post this morning and I just couldn’t get it to go through. I don’t know if it was your site or bloglovin (bloglovin gives me lots of trouble lately with commenting).

• Kerri McGrail September 28, 2015, 10:57 pm

I am right there with ya on wanting to get things done early! Early to bed, early to rise, early to start studying for exams, working bon projects, etc. ! If I’m “on time” I feel late/ behind! I guess the early bird really does get the worm!