I need to eat when I first wake up & Monday’s meals

So many of us were intrigued yesterday by the training concept of glycogen depletion training which Michele touched upon in my race fueling strategies post.

I think it’s an interesting approach and I can understand the theory behind it but I do not think it’s for someone like me. I wake up so hungry and have always been a first-thing-in-the-morning-as-soon-as-I-get-up breakfast eater that skipping breakfast before a run or doing anything on an empty stomach is just not for me.

I begin to feel sick, nauseous and dizzy if I go too long without food. In fact, when I was pregnant with my son and had to take the fasting glucose blood test, the doctor actually had to allow me to eat (I recall eggs and a bagel) right before the test because I was about to be sick.

This may have you wondering if I am fasting for today’s Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur — I think you know the answer.

WHAT-I-ATE-WEDNESDAY-NEW-BUTTON-PEAS-AND-CRAYONS

Monday’s meals…

Pre-run breakfast:

The usual oatmeal with banana and cinnamon.

oatmeal

Post-run Breakfast:

I am accepting the fact that fresh blueberry season is over and I am sort of okay with it. I like frozen blueberries and the very cherry berry blend from Trader Joe’s but they turn my oatmeal (and my hands) all purple.

oatmeal

Oatmeal mixed with frozen blueberries, almond milk, Skoop B-Strong and peanut butter.

Lunch:

I couldn’t wait to cut up the butternut squash sitting on my kitchen counter.

I don’t roast all of the butternut squash at once because I will then proceed to eat it all at once so instead I cut it up, throw some in the oven and put the rest in a pyrex container for future meals.

Plant-based Power Bowl on a plate.

lunch

Roasted butternut squash with broccoli, brussels sprouts and asparagus on top of leftover brown rice and chick peas mashed with avocado.

I hope the people of Fresh Market don’t read my blog because if they do, a bulletin will be issued to all Long Island Fresh Market locations displaying my picture and my motives.

cotton candy grapes

In my defense, they don’t say limit one sample per person. They don’t provide any form of disclaimer so taking my son for an afternoon fruit snack isn’t breaking any laws even if we stop in for fruit and purchase nothing.

And yes, we also had some pineapple. And cantaloupe. I skipped the apple samples because I didn’t think they went well with my fruit sample salad.

Dinner:

My son tells me that I never make real meatballs so I made him real meatballs.

meatballs

With spaghetti squash because he actually likes spaghetti squash (this meal was inspired by Laura’s recent recipe).

meatballs and spagetti squash

He requested the meatballs on the side of the spaghetti squash so I listened even though I knew the picture wouldn’t look as pretty.

Since I don’t eat meatballs, I loaded my half of the spaghetti squash with roasted vegetables, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and nutritional yeast.

spaghetti squash primavera

Dessert:

I am pretty sure I had an apple at some point during the day that is going unpictured.

I didn’t have an apple at night, instead, I had some of these peanut butter banana protein bite things which I made last week and then made again this week.

pb banana protein bites

Anyone who tells you they easily stop at one or two bites as their nighttime snack is a liar. Just saying.

WIAW - I must eat when I wake up & recent meals #wiaw #running #oatmeal #powerbowl… Click To Tweet

*******************

Do you need to eat when you first wake up too?

Do you want to learn more about glycogen depletion and other intricate running topics?

Nighttime snack of choice lately?

• Susie @ SuzLyfe September 23, 2015, 6:37 am

I have to eat something before I run, but I don’t tend to take much fuel with me on my runs. I’m sure that part of it is mental, but you know what? I don’t care 😀 plus I love food!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Jillian Michaels BODYSHRED Q & A with Master Trainer Sean LevesqueMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 23, 2015, 2:41 pm

I only take some jelly beans if I am going longer than 10 miles. The hammer gels are new to me and I love them but I won’t waste them unless I am training for a race.

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine September 23, 2015, 7:57 am

Some mornings I wake up starving and others I can run without eating anything…it really doesn’t make sense. But when I’m not running if I try to just relax and have some coffee before breakfast all of a sudden I am starving.
    Lately my evening snack has been some kind of chocolate covered nuts from Fresh Market or the gelato that we bought on Sunday.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Sunday Meals and Recovery vs Rest DaysMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 23, 2015, 2:40 pm

I should get the gelato next time I am at Fresh Market. It will give me something to buy so I don’t feel guilty for snagging all of the fruit samples

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 23, 2015, 8:04 am

I used to have to eat first thing in the morning, but my appetite has been all wonky lately and I’ve been finding myself waking up and not being hungry… it’s the strangest thing. I still grab something, but it’s definitely not that same “omg need to eat NOW” feeling.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. sweet and creamy pumpkin spread .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 23, 2015, 2:39 pm

But you always loved breakfast first thing. What is going on in this world? 🙂

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma September 23, 2015, 8:07 am

I’ll share those real meatballs with him! Although your side of the spaghetti squash looks awesome too. I don’t need to eat right away, at least not typically, there are rare mornings I wake up starving though!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Paleo Meals On a Sick Day – Soothe and RepairMy Profile

• Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl September 23, 2015, 8:09 am

If I am waking up before 7:30am or so to go for a run, get up for work, or run and then work, I don’t and can’t eat beforehand. But waking up around 8-8:30 (weekends, this glorious free time) I am so hungry on waking I need a little something, like a banana or apple and a muffin or two, before getting out there. I think after the 12 hours of fasting each night my body needs it. I’ve never been able to fast for Yom Kippur, I get awful migraines if I get past noon and haven’t eaten even if I just sit there.
    Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…WIAW #24: Baby Shower Eats and TreatsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 23, 2015, 2:38 pm

I once made it until 2 pm for Yom Kippur but that’s it! I stopped trying once my son was born (he was actually born on Yom Kippur!)Between nursing and then keeping up with a toddler, I just couldn’t even attempt it, especially since I really struggle to not pass out.

• Lesq September 23, 2015, 8:23 am

I use to eat too much at dinner and never be hungry for breakfast. I now eat a bigger breakfast and lunch and good dinner but smaller. Michele has helped me ALOT. I love your lunches. I have made many of them after seeing you post them. The spaghetti squash meal is a keeper as is that beautiful butternut squash. L’ Shana Tova to you and your family.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 23, 2015, 2:36 pm

Aw, thank you, I am so glad you like my lunches 🙂 Happy New Year!

• Heather@hungryforbalance September 23, 2015, 8:36 am

Haha! They are liars! You are smart to ration your butternut squash like that; I really need to follow suit. I have no self control around butternut squash either.
    Heather@hungryforbalance recently posted…WIAW: Happy Fall y’all!My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 23, 2015, 2:35 pm

I learned I can’t roast all the vegetables at once because they won’t last. So much for food prep!

• Gretchen | Gretchruns September 23, 2015, 9:03 am

I’m always super hungry when I wake up, but for some reason if I eat right away I get really nauseous. I have to wait until I get to work to eat, and by then I’m starving! I’ve never actually tried spaghetti squash, but it always looks so good (especially with those meatballs) so I have to try it sometime!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Wednesday Reviews : Empty Products #3My Profile

• Arman @ thebigmansworld September 23, 2015, 10:03 am

I can NEVER eat first thing in the morning or even within the first 2-3 hours…but- It’s because I eat a huge night time snack and actually, most of my calories later in the day which is pretty bad. Dang, you’ve motivated me to try and front-load them!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Healthy 3 Ingredient Rice Crispy TreatsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 23, 2015, 2:34 pm

Haha – I think we all have different ways of eating. They do say front loading is the way to go but it’s not for everyone. Dinner is still probably my largest meal. Or maybe dessert is 😉

• Shannon September 23, 2015, 11:18 am

I always eat right when I wake up too. Even if it is just something small. I don’t know if it is out of habit or because Im super hungry, but I always do!
    Shannon recently posted…Vegan Gooey Pumpkin BarsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 23, 2015, 2:33 pm

I think it’s both! And, we are supposed to eat breakfast, it’s the healthy way to start the day and our metabolism.

• Sarah @pickyrunner September 23, 2015, 11:31 am

I’ve never been a breakfast lover until recently, but I still can’t eat when I first wake up. I generally wake up between 6-7 and eat around 9 when I get to work. I’m just not hungry in the morning and running with food in my stomach is so uncomfortable because I’m not used to it. Whenever I run races, I’ll usually eat a few cheerios. It’s amazing how different routines are for every person!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 23, 2015, 2:33 pm

I have always loved breakfast and have always been the kid/adult eating immediately when I get up!

• heather September 23, 2015, 12:14 pm

I don’t eat first thing unless it is a long run. I try to take GU or something with in case I start feeling not so good. I wait a little while after I get home to eat as well. I am currently in love with spaghetti squash too. Thanks for sharing.
    bakingrunner.blogspot.com

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 23, 2015, 2:32 pm

I need to pick up another spaghetti squash when I go shopping, we really liked it too.

• Nikki @ will run for pizza September 23, 2015, 12:24 pm

Oh I just LOOOOVE spaghetti squash! I first had it last year when one of my hubby’s co-workers gave us about 10 of them from her garden.
    I usually can’t eat anything as SOON as I wake up, but shortly after I do. And I have to eat something before I run or workout. Unless it’s only a 30 min workout or something, I have to have sustenance!
    Nikki @ will run for pizza recently posted…5 things on Sunday.My Profile

• Grace @ Diary of a Running Snail September 23, 2015, 12:59 pm

I wish your pictures of spaghetti squash were up yesterday, because I had spaghetti squash and couldn’t decide what to do with it! Your veggies and tomato sauce will be my go-to next week:)
    I HAVE to eat as soon as I get up and no one seems to believe me on this one! I wake up feeling so hungry that I am nauseous and it doesn’t go away until I eat! I’m glad I’m not the only one.
    Glycogen depletion is super interesting to me and I would love to learn more.
    My nighttime snack of choice lately has been a muffin and an apple.
    Grace @ Diary of a Running Snail recently posted…Pumpkin Zucchini Chocolate Chip MuffinsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 23, 2015, 2:31 pm

I wake up nauseous hungry often! It’s terrible. Once I eat, I feel much better.

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables September 23, 2015, 1:42 pm

I get really tired and cranky if I go too long without eating. (Hangry is a real thing!) And I LOVE the very cherry berry mix thing from Trader Joe’s, too! I love the combo (and it doesn’t contain strawberries which is nice because those things are too hard to eat frozen! haha)

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes September 23, 2015, 2:24 pm

Thank you for linking my recipe! 🙂 Those meatballs look delicious, and so does your squash – I really want to try nutritional yeast on spaghetti squash. I need to eat when I wake up also – I eat at least a banana, if not also some dry cereal, before my runs. Like you, I have a really hard time on religious fasting days – and Catholics only have two of those a year but I still dread them.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Pre-Race Goal AssessmentMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 23, 2015, 2:29 pm

I really love the nutritional yeast, especially with Italian flavors of sauce and cheese 🙂

• Hayley@HealthyRegardsHayley September 23, 2015, 4:26 pm

Unless I am up ungodly early (like 4am) then I eat right away. I also can’t do the whole wait to eat thing and idk- I think it is silly for most people. But that is just my opinion (: Mmmm I also take way too many free grapes when they are on display at Whole Foods.
    Hayley@HealthyRegardsHayley recently posted…2 easy peasy pumpkin recipesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 24, 2015, 4:16 pm

Whole Foods gets stingy with their samples but sometimes, on the weekend, I do notice some nice grapes and apples on sample. I totally take too many lol

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets September 27, 2015, 9:31 am

I am not okay with fresh berry season being over, although I do have a ton of blueberries in my chest freezer in the basement which I froze at their peak. I have no strawberries or raspberries though going into winter and that gives me discomfort. In fact, yesterday I was craving raspberries hard core, like I want to eat pints full of them and nothing else. The grocery store was completely out of stock though, even in the frozen section. I went home with a cantaloupe and grapes but it’s not the same.

I adore your plant based power bowls.

• Jayne September 28, 2015, 5:14 pm

I agree with the nighttime snack claim. I myself get hungry for a sweet before bed every night!