7 Random Things

Thinking-Out-Loud

1. I can’t remember the last time I had smooth (or do they call it creamy?) peanut butter. See, it’s been so long that I don’t even know the proper term.

2. My baking supply cabinet is a mess. I am a neat freak by nature but not a compulsive neat freak which means I like things tidy, uncluttered and in place BUT cabinets, drawers and closets may a bit more chaotic than my counters, tables and floors.

The baking cabinet right now in my kitchen though, it’s bothering me. It’s not even an organized mess that only I can navigate through, it’s a universal disaster. My problem with cleaning it out is that it will lead to cleaning out the kitchen drawers, then the pots cabinet, then the hall closet followed by my son’s closet and I just don’t have time for that.

3. I made four kinds of cookies last week and I only used my KitchenAid mixer for one of them.

cookie collage

I don’t know why I chose the old-fashioned bowl and spoon instead. Do you have any idea how exhausting it is to mix cookie dough by hand?!

The funny thing is, I resisted using a mixer for years. I felt like I had my cookie making system down to a science, had my hands and a big spoon and didn’t need any electronic help…until one day I used the mixer and silently wondered why I never had in the first place.

4. I stopped caring if I have sushi. Like, if you ask to meet me for dinner, instead of picking a sushi spot since sushi has been my favorite for years, I am back to thinking about pizza. And sauce. And anything covered in sauce.

Cravings are allowed to change/revert back to old favorites I suppose.

5. I skipped my easy run on Tuesday in favor of cross-training on the elliptical. I need to do that more often. It was nice during the day to go from sitting to standing and not feel it. Sometimes we get so used to tired legs that NOT having tired legs feels extra interestingly amazing.

6. Do you know who Ron Ben-Israel is?

The celebrity chef and cake designer, the judge of the new Food Network show Cake Wars and previous judge of Cupcake Wars as well as host and judge of Sweet Genius?

CG0102_judges-and-host_s4x3.jpg.rend.sni18col

source

While I have met him in the past, last week I had the pleasure of speaking with him (the guy on the left in the picture) to talk to him all about Customized Wedding Cakes for an article I was working on for AllSeated –you can read it here!

You must know by now that this cake conversation was super interesting to me!

7. I crawled into bed last night before 8:00 am and I am not even the one who started school this week. I am naturally a morning person which makes me unnaturally a night owl but last night in particular, I was just flat-out exhausted and done.

Is there a better feeling than getting under the covers when you are tired and ready to hide from the world?

The best part? My son didn’t bother me once. Not one time! Quite often he likes to pop in to tell me unimportant things that suddenly become important almost as if he is checking in before the television can say, “It’s 10:00 pm do you know where your kids are?”

Great night of sleep which hopefully translates into a great TREADMILL run today. It’s raining out there but I am not disappointed. It’s important to switch up the running surfaces and equally important to remember I like running on the treadmill which is something I tend to forget.

Be sure to check out what everyone else is thinking about today 🙂

7 Random Things #thinkingoutloud #cookies #cakewars #allseated #ribcakes @runwithspoons Click To Tweet

************************

Favorite kind of nut butter?

If you are married, what kind of wedding cake did you have? Tell me all about it!

Where will you be running today?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine September 10, 2015, 6:04 am

Lately I have been all about the creamy PB. For a while I was in an almond butter phase. I usually prefer to mix things by hand because I hate having to clean things like mixers. Today is a rest day for me- its raining here too, and it looked like there would be thunderstorms all day so I did my 5 miles yesterday instead of today, since I don’t have a treadmill option. I love going to bed at 8pm once in a while!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…More Running Related Stuff to Think AboutMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 10, 2015, 1:53 pm

I should switch my peanut butters up for a change, it’s been so long since I had a different one in my rotation.

• Susie @ SuzLyfe September 10, 2015, 6:29 am

I like my pb crunch but spreadable. I had it when pb isn’t spreadable. That really bothers me.
    My wedding cake was a combination of two flavors to make what I called a strawberry lemonade cake: limoncello cake with fresh strawberries and white chocolate buttercream. It was incredible!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Vitamins, Snacking, and Laughing Cow #ThinkingoutLoudMy Profile

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables September 10, 2015, 7:52 am

We actually had donuts instead of a wedding cake! Neither of us were big cake people but we had a little donut shop near our apartment that we liked to go to, so we each picked a favorite and had a “groom’s donut” and a “bride’s donut” 🙂 It was pretty fun!
    Liz @ I Heart Vegetables recently posted…What I Ate YesterdayMy Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 10, 2015, 8:08 am

I was unusually tired last night as well and ended up crawling into bed around 10. Which might seem a little late, but lately I’ve been up past midnight so that’s kind of early 😛 And there are a lot of times where I mix my recipes by hand… mostly because I don’t feel like washing the mixer 😆

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 10, 2015, 1:51 pm

But then I still need to wash the bowl and spoon so washing the mixer bowl and attachment becomes the same thing. It’s lifting the mixer out of the pantry that sometimes gets me.

• Laura @ This Runner's Recipes September 10, 2015, 8:37 am

I love how easy it is to make cookies with a stand mixer! My reliance on my kitchenaid for all mixing and kneading is probably why I don’t have a ton of upper body strength.
    I ran on the treadmill twice this weekend and it does feel so good to mix up the training surface. I just have a hard time doing runs over 8 miles on it because of the repetition. I hope you had a great run today!
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…Hiking at Dorothy Lake + Birthday WeekendMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 10, 2015, 1:50 pm

Ha, yes, all of my past cookie making by hand definitely gave me a workout! Doing it by hand last week was a reminder of how strenuous it can be. I definitely enjoyed my treadmill run today and totally felt the difference in the surface. Much easier on my joints today!

• Gretchen | Gretchruns September 10, 2015, 9:03 am

There’s going to be a cake wars!??! WHAT!?! I absolutely love Cupcake Wars (although the host, Justin, kind of annoys me)..hopefully Ron will be better! I loved him on Sweet Genius. Super excited. So for my wedding we’re having a mini ceremony in Belize and I think maybe we’re getting a traditional island cake, but we might not be getting any cake at all..not sure. It’s fine with me because I don’t like cake anyway!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Currently : SeptemberMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 10, 2015, 9:55 am

Yes! Cake Wars starting in the spring and they will be having a second season this fall! Not everyone has a traditional cake so you can totally go with something else sweet. So many options!

• Sarah @pickyrunner September 10, 2015, 10:29 am

Ummm when I get married one day in 90000 years you can be my wedding planner. You’ll know where to get the best cakes. So cool that you got to meet that guy AND that there’s going to be a cake wars! You know I’m obsessed with all the dessert shows.

I had no idea it made that much of a difference making cookies with a standing mixer instead of by hand! Tim always makes me make the cookies even though I’m so bad at mixing. I tell him he should do it because he’s stronger but he never listens. I guess that’s my strength workout for the week.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 10, 2015, 1:49 pm

It’s much easier to mix the dough with the mixer. So much easier!! I will totally be your wedding planner 🙂

• Jamie September 10, 2015, 10:43 am

Cashew butter has been my new fave lately… it’s super smooth and creamy like skippy peanut butter but way better 🙂 I can’t wait to eat my wedding cake… it will be absolutely delicious – as long as I like it that’s all that matters : ) I think I will unfortunately be stuck on the treadmill tonight after work. I’m going to have to convince myself to get my run in by watching Jeopardy. The rain and the humidity this am just weren’t doing it… here’s to hoping I get myself motivated enough to run!
    Jamie recently posted…All the (Holiday Week/end) Miles 8/31 – 9/6My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 10, 2015, 1:47 pm

I had a great treadmill run this morning, it’s really not so bad, just keep telling yourself that! I loved my wedding cake, it’s very important that as the bride, we like it!

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma September 10, 2015, 10:52 am

I always resist using he mixer or food processor unless I really need to because of the cleanup! Then I wonder why because it’s not like I don’t have to clean bowls and spoons anyway. Now that I have my new oven I need to start cookie baking ASAP!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Being Responsible and an Upcoming RaceMy Profile

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl September 10, 2015, 12:48 pm

I am a peanut butter fan – allergies to tree nuts will do that to you! I used to like only smooth but I am into crunchy nowadays, and also the PB Co cinnamon raisin flavor.
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Thoughts on the Dumbo Double DareMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 10, 2015, 1:46 pm

I like the cinnamon raisin flavor too, haven’t had it in a while though!

• Tracy September 10, 2015, 12:58 pm

That is very exciting that you were able to talk to Ron Ben Israel! I SO wanted a big fondant wedding cake (I am absolutely obsessed with fondant) but I was married in a conservative synagogue (we aren’t but it was a gorgeous synagogue in Coral Gables) and there was something about having to get the cake from their caterer, etc. and they only did buttercream. I was so upset! Totally a morning person – which is good since my husband has started getting up at 5:30 to work out. 8.5 on the treadmill – not only is it WAY too hot to run outside in PBG after school drop off but I love to watch my Bravo shows and zone out ( ;

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 10, 2015, 1:45 pm

I had the same issue with my temple which is why I didn’t custom order a cake either! However, Ron explained to me that he makes kosher cakes and does work with lots of the kosher caterers and temples here so should I get remarried, I will now request a customized cake!

• Shannon September 10, 2015, 1:25 pm

I love creamy nut butters. I am not a fan of the crunchy kind. Maybe I just haven’t had the right crunchy kind.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 10, 2015, 1:43 pm

I definitely recommend PB & Co. Crunch Time if you haven’t tried it already. It’s my favorite.

• heather September 10, 2015, 1:43 pm

I love peanut butter, in fact I just ate a bowl of grits with a huge gob of peanut butter. My run today was the best run I have had in over a year. I ran 4 miles to the gym, took a brutal spin class, did some abs, ran 3 miles home. I decided to enjoy a one mile walk!!! My pace was under 8 minutes…. Have a great day
    bakingrunner.blogspot.com

• Grace @ Diary of a Running Snail September 10, 2015, 1:56 pm

I really love crunchy peanut butter. Like a lot a lot. But I’ve tried hazelnut butter before and that’s pretty delicious too!
    Today I did 8km at race pace outside around the neighbourhood. It’s soooo nice now that the weather is cooling down:)

• Emily September 10, 2015, 2:59 pm

I love PB&CO Cinnamon Raisin. And… pretty much any other version of PB&CO is my favorite! 🙂 I ran about 3(ish) miles outside here in Oregon. It was so cool and fresh smelling, and it was super fun running in a quaint little town like this.
    Emily recently posted…What Newbie Waitressing Looks LikeMy Profile

• Nikki @ will run for pizza September 10, 2015, 3:28 pm

I am the same way about being tidy and having things in their places, but behind doors and drawers, SOME of them might be unorganized! BUT! At least things are in their “place”. And I TOTALLY cleaned out my baking cupboard over the weekend when I was making 4 different kinds of protein balls! And of course it turned into other cabinets and 3 trips to the goodwill donation box…haha.
    I have a hand mixer, but have never even TRIED a stand up mixer. I just have no desire for one b/c I feel like it’s too much work to use and takes up a lot of space. AND! Don’t you still need to scrape the sides?!?! Funny story though: when my Hus and I were first together, he wanted me to make him chocolate chip cookies, and I told him that I couldn’t b/c I didn’t have a mixer…he was like, “what about just using a spoon?” LOL I’ve never lived it down. He said I was a spoiled kid and it was ridiculous that I couldn’t bake without a hand mixer…lol.
    Nikki @ will run for pizza recently posted…T minus 4 days!My Profile

• Heather@hungryforbalance September 10, 2015, 9:51 pm

Our wedding cake was chocolate with raspberry filling. The only thing I regret is that it didn’t have chocolate icing. You know, it’s not as pretty…

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets September 13, 2015, 3:10 pm

I’ve never used the big kitchen aid mixers although I’m a hand mixer girl all the way. I’m jealous of your 8 pm bedtime. Being an ambitious morning person myself, I totally get the crash and burn at nighttime thing.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 14, 2015, 5:12 pm

Once you experience a mixer, you may never go back to mixing by hand….I absolutely crash and burn real fast at night!