WIAW – Yesterday’s Meals

Let’s take a look at what I ate yesterday, as in, the day my son went back to school.

WHAT-I-ATE-WEDNESDAY-NEW-BUTTON-PEAS-AND-CRAYONS

I usually make four servings of oatmeal at a time and store them in the refrigerator so that they are ready to eat each day. I noticed I was down to my last serving so I made a fresh pot super early in the morning.

oatmeal

Before I covered the oatmeal to cool, it boiled over for the first time in a really long time! I am typically real good at keeping the oats contained in the pot, I don’t know how it happened.

Early morning first breakfast bowl of oatmeal with bananas and cinnamon.

oatmeal

If you missed my post on the health benefits of cinnamon last week, check it out here.

After completing the Pure Barre Pure Results workout from the comforts of my suddenly dim in the morning living room because the sun is rising later and later, my son was up and ready for breakfast.

He knew right away why I took the picture of his plate. #firstdayofschoolbreakfast

breakfast

He doesn’t let me stand at the bus stop anymore but just like last year, I watched the bus stop from the gym while on the elliptical.

Can you see the bus through the blinds?

gym

I felt like something cold after my workout so I blended up my second breakfast into smoothie bowl form.

smoothie bowl

In the mix:

• Cooked (cold) oatmeal
  • Frozen blueberries
  • Frozen pineapple
  • Spinach
  • Ice
  • Skoop B-Strong
  • PB2
  • Almond Milk
  • Extra peanut butter on top

I worked from Panera for the first time in a while.

coffee

That is until they cut off my WiFi (so annoying) at which point I went home for lunch.

I felt like a power bowl (on a plate) so I mashed up some chick peas with avocado (added in Dijon mustard) along with leftover brown rice, sweet potatoes, and roasted frozen broccoli over spinach.

power bowl

I am just realizing that I don’t think I had a snack between eating lunch and preparing dinner (I snack on dinner as I make it).

I have really been enjoying my spiralizer by the way.

zucchini noodles

It’s really easy to do and only take a minute or so to spiralize one zucchini.

For dinner I made a zucchini primavera with roasted sweet potatoes thrown in too with a little mozzarella cheese and nutritional yeast on top <- good source of B vitamins for us meatless eaters.

zucchini noodles

So I had the first day of school banana chocolate chip cookies all planned in my head as my son’s dessert last night but then he wanted to go for frozen yogurt and I couldn’t say no because he had the “best first day ever” and I needed the 411 on it all.

frozen yogurt

Do the cool kids still say the 411 or do kids today not even know what 411 is because they just ask Siri for information?

Don’t worry, the cookies didn’t go to waste. I had enough for both of us– beyond addicting.

banana chocolate chip cookies

Don’t forget to check out what everyone else is eating today!

A look at yesterday's meals #wiaw #oatmeal #powerbowl @Panera @healthyskoop #cookies #powerbowl #zoodles Click To Tweet

***************

Do you use the Siri button on your phone often? I never ever do!

Are you a spiralizer? What do you make the most with it?

If you have kids, do they buy lunch at school or do they bring from home?

Comments

1. says

I never use Siri! I find it annoying when I accidentally tap the button that makes her talk. I definitely google stuff all the time, but I just type it in.
    I have started making oatmeal before long runs lately, and I do one serving in the microwave, and it spills over every time. Am I just cooking it too long? Is it better to make it on the stove?
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Charles Street 12 2015 Race RecapMy Profile

• says

I think it’s so much better to make it on the stove! Rolled oats are quick on the stove (like a few min?) but I mix the steel cut and rolled which will take more time but the trick sometimes is it boil it at night and then let it sit. In the morning, it’s cooked, just reheat it. I make four servings at a time and totally love the texture it has after sitting for a while, I like it cold or just warm it up with toppings.

2. says

That power bowl looks so good that I want it now, even though it’s only breakfast time here in Seattle! My husband uses Siri sometimes can she takes twice as long to find out something than to just google it. She also once took us to a ghetto in Michigan when we were trying to visit the Whirlpool HQ, so she lost navigation privileges to Google after that.
    Laura @ This Runner’s Recipes recently posted…How Practicing Gratitude Can Improve Your RunningMy Profile

3. says

I love your idea of preparing a bunch of oatmeal! I don’t know why I never thought of that. I’ll have to do that for breakfast next week. I rarely ever use Siri..sometimes I will to check messages on a run, and sometimes to shazam a song.

4. says

Why did Panera bread cut off your WI FI? My son (12) wants me to pack his lunch, which I am going to start next week. I do not use Siri, I like physically finding information on my own, keeps my brain functioning. Have a great day
    bakingrunner.blogspot.com

5. says

I never ask Siri for anything… mainly because she never understands or I end up having to open up the internet anyways… ugh. Haha. Where I went to school lunch was provided, but now for work I always pack lunch. It’s too expensive to buy each day. And I like to think (maybe sometimes true) that I make better choices if it’s already packed for me!

6. says

I don’t think I’ve ever used my Siri before…. I just google everything 🙂
    I have never heard of that chickpea/avocado mash but it sounds like the absolute best thing ever! I can’t wait to try it.
    Do you just sprinkle the nutritional yeast onto whatever you happen to be eating? Does it have much of a taste?

• says

I love chick peas mashed with avocado, let me know how you like it…Nutritional Yeast takes the place of parmesan cheese because it has a similar flavor. I like it on Italian dishes but have been known to sprinkle it on lots of other savory meals.

• says

Some of the Panera locations near me cut off the wifi around lunch time if you have been there since the morning. It’s really annoying! One of them cuts me at exactly 11:30 am every single time.

• says

So far with the sweet potato I have found I can spiralize the pieces and then roast them which tastes terrific! But I hear what you are saying, the zucchini comes out much better. I will try the sweet potato again and then discuss it on the blog when I do.

7. says

I’m so glad your son had such a great first day! I make 6 lunches per school day. And I only use Siri for fun–I ask her lewd questions. It’s hilarious! I have to make my own fun or I’ll seriously go crazy.
    Suzy recently posted…Woozy Wednesday: The StealMy Profile