Thinking Out Loud September 3, 2015

Thinking-Out-Loud

Just so you know, my son doesn’t start school until NEXT TUESDAY. I know, right? Like, every other school in America has started except for us. At least it seems that way.

I shouldn’t complain though, I am not ready for the whole school routine thing and I am still working on his school supply organization only to have him mess up my notebook system within a matter of two days.

school supplies

In between attempting to get work done and keep up with my blog reading (I am totally behind), we did get over to Red Mango the other day to finally try the new acai bowls.

red mango acai bowl

So it looks like my usual parfait but it’s not. There’s acai stuff in place of the usual yogurt layered in the cup with pumpkin flax granola (the best granola ever) plus lots of banana, strawberries and blueberries topped off with honey and coconut.

red mango acai bowl

I absolutely loved it. I have had acai bowls before but this one was my favorite and it may replace my standard Red Mango parfait.

Next time though, I will order it without the coconut and honey on top because it really does nothing for me. I can take or leave shredded coconut and never overly loved drizzles of honey except during Rosh Hashanah which my goodness, is in less than two weeks.

I baked a whole bunch on Tuesday.

I like to bring dessert when I am a guest at someone’s house for dinner.

I made my usual oatmeal raisin chocolate chip cookie recipe in pie form (because it’s a win friends and influence people type of dessert) and also a healthier batch of monster cookies adapted from Fit Foodie Finds.

cookie dough

I had a completely random and unlike me craving for PRETZEL M&M’S. Never my first choice in m&m’s but something about the pretzel (I never eat pretzels) combined with the chocolate combined with the crunch of an m&m was calling me from the Target candy aisle.

I just had to chop them up into the batter.

monster cookies

I really liked these cookies.

They have a dense, doughy texture and aren’t overly sweet (recipe called for coconut sugar) so you really taste the flavors of the ingredients, especially the mini chocolate chips and the pretzel m&m’s which are so my latest obsession to the point where last night I told my son we should throw the rest of the bag out and apply the squirt them with soap rule.

I spy rainbow cookies among my baked goods on the dessert table the other night…

dessert

3 random things you need to know:

1. I ate the last apple left in my house last night. How could this happen? I always have at least five on hand when I decide we are out of apples.
  2. I finally own a spiralizer but have nothing to spiralize.
  3. I did yoga in place of Pure Barre yesterday. What?! I know.

And for a special #TBT, a year ago this coming weekend I was in Florida to attend one of my best friend’s son’s Bar Mitzvah party.

photobooth

And now, exactly one year later to the day, Danielle is getting remarried. Amazing what transpires in one year!

Unfortunately I won’t be able to get down to Florida this weekend but it’s okay because she promised me that her wedding won’t have the same out of this world chocolate cake that the Bar Mitzvah did so I am not really missing anything 😉

Be sure to check out what everyone else is thinking about today!

Red Mango Acai Bowls, Monster Cookies and other random things #thinkingoutloud #redmango… Click To Tweet

************

If you have kids, did they start school yet?

Are you an acai bowl fan?

What do you like to spiralize?

• jill conyers September 3, 2015, 5:25 am

I suddenly have a craving for cookies!
    jill conyers recently posted…#7DayStretch with prAnaMy Profile

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables September 3, 2015, 6:55 am

You’re a baking queen!! Those cookies sound awesome and those acai bowls from Red Mango look delicious!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 3, 2015, 4:55 pm

Love the acai bowls from Red Mango, I will have to get back there this weekend.

• Susie @ SuzLyfe September 3, 2015, 7:16 am

Spiralize an apple! Oh, wait, YOU DON”T HAVE ANY
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…I’ll Never Do Quiet or Normal! Fun Developments of the MomentMy Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 3, 2015, 8:03 am

Our schools don’t start here until next Tuesday either, and I honestly can’t say I remember ever starting before labour day. And the pretzel obsession is real! I never crave them either, but after using them in a couple recipes that combined them with something sweet? Uhm. Hello addiction.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. thinking out loud #146 .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 3, 2015, 4:54 pm

Totally an addiction. I always loved chocolate covered pretzels but kinda forgot about them for years I think.

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma September 3, 2015, 8:12 am

My girls started yesterday, but Drew has another week! I’m ready for him to start so I can get back to some sort of schedule. And oh how I love coconut sugar!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…First Day of School Nerves Plus Seeing Yourself in Your KidsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 3, 2015, 2:22 pm

I know, my schedule and routine is completely off. I am ready to go back to normal but then they are off for the holidays!

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine September 3, 2015, 8:26 am

I also have to have a few extra apples on hand. I love that they last pretty long so I don’t worry about them going bad! I remember on Long Island school always started after Labor Day. It seemed normal for me at the time but here in Maryland schools start at the end of August. It is nice that they get out earlier in June though.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Runners are a Little “Different”My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 3, 2015, 2:22 pm

Yeah I don’t understand why so many districts this year started a week before.

• Emily September 3, 2015, 9:14 am

I LOVE baking up a storm. And your baking looks super delicious!
    Emily recently posted…Thinking Out Loud: What Makes Me Smile.My Profile

• Gretchen | Gretchruns September 3, 2015, 9:41 am

Spiralizing is so much fun! You’ll have to try it out soon. My favorite thing is zucchini! It’s easy to cut up and holds up really well. I can’t wait to see what you come up with!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Fall Wish ListMy Profile

• Suzy September 3, 2015, 9:43 am

Our schools don’t start until next Tuesday, either. And if I could spiralize ketchup chips, I would.
    Suzy recently posted…A Slow FadeMy Profile

• Jamie September 3, 2015, 10:42 am

Salty and sweet – the best combo. I think chocolate covered pretzels might be one of my favorites. That or the sea salt chocolate caramels from TJs…. I live for acai bowls… I actually started making my own since buying was always FAR too expensive 🙂
    Jamie recently posted…TOLT September VibesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 3, 2015, 2:20 pm

I saw the acai mixes at Whole Foods, I really could make my own, you are right.

• Sarah @pickyrunner September 3, 2015, 11:22 am

It’s crazy how late the schools start this year! I think most of the ones around me and at home have started because we always start before labor day, but it’s so late this year!! You can come to dinner at my house anytime… I’m always down for some cookies 😉
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…TOL: It’s Been AwhileMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 3, 2015, 2:20 pm

I think we always started after labor day but for some reason, a lot of the schools around here started really early. I will make you cookies anytime!

• Kylie @ immaEATthat September 3, 2015, 11:59 am

Red Mango has acai bowls now?! What!?? Going soon!!!!

• Shannon September 3, 2015, 1:23 pm

All the kids in my area started last week. The colleges don’t start until the end of September though!
    Shannon recently posted…Apple Pie Protein SmoothieMy Profile

• Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood September 3, 2015, 2:34 pm

The only sweet my husband ever requests is rainbow cookies. I make them for him occasionally because they are his all time fave, but they’re such a bitch to make…
    Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood recently posted…Weird Things My Animals DoMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 3, 2015, 4:50 pm

I have never made them but always wanted to, I know they are really involved to make though! I give you credit.

• heather September 3, 2015, 2:48 pm

School started here in Memphis August 10, and how about orientation is tonight!!! Seriously this is the craziest school system. It has been almost a month..
    I never tried an Acai bowl, but I heard they rock
    I want a spiralizer for zuchini
    bakingrunner.blogspot.com

• Dani @ Dani California Cooks September 3, 2015, 8:13 pm

Oh my gosh, Rosh Hashanah is so close by!! As soon as I read your post, I had to google when the date was. Thanks for the reminder – lol! 🙂
    Dani @ Dani California Cooks recently posted…Vegan Gingersnap Cookies (gluten free)My Profile

• Niki @ Life With Niki September 3, 2015, 10:13 pm

While I dont have kids and I technically will no longer be a kid as of next week- I started school on Monday and it literally seems like I have been at it for a few months already due to the busy-ness overload!
    Wish I had some monster cookies to cheer me up ;)!
    Niki @ Life With Niki recently posted…WIAW | Steak & Potatoes Are LifeMy Profile

• Grace @ Diary of a Running Snail September 4, 2015, 8:00 am

I actually just found a similar monster cookie recipe that I’m dying to try!! I just moved back to my university house and am thinking I will be a good roommate and have them ready when my roomies arrive… Hmmm…
    I have yet to try an acai bowl OR a spiralizer but I’m dying to try both!!
    Grace @ Diary of a Running Snail recently posted…Thursday Things + Guacamole RecipeMy Profile