WIAW- Health Benefits of Cinnamon

WHAT-I-ATE-WEDNESDAY-NEW-BUTTON-PEAS-AND-CRAYONS

You may have noticed that I add cinnamon quite often to my food. I don’t just do it for the flavor boost either.

oatmeal

It’s about time we talk briefly about the health benefits of cinnamon and why you should shake it on your food whenever you have the chance.

healthy benefits of cinnamon

In addition to adding flavor, as you can see from this cute infographic that I made for us, cinnamon is a nutritional and health powerhouse.

I can vouch for some of the claims as my menstrual cycles have definitely seen a positive difference since sprinkling cinnamon into my food on a daily basis over the last few months.

Once I made a conscious effort to shake the cinnamon into my oatmeal and on my apples every day, I absolutely noticed a change at that time of the month. Without getting too graphic, my PMS dissipated and how it says anti-clotting affect on the blood? Yeah, it’s true, which also means, cramps were much less intense which is a really big deal in my world.

Add cinnamon to your:

• Oatmeal
  • Cereal
  • Coffee
  • Tea
  • Smoothies
  • Yogurt
  • Apples, bananas, peaches  -> any fruit!
  • Pancakes
  • Waffles
  • French Toast
  • Eggs
  • Baked goods
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Roasted veggies especially butternut squash!
  • Chili < – yes, your chili

Moving on to some other meals from Monday…

Lunch:

I was super hungry today (not that I am not super hungry every day) so after my usual second breakfast followed by an apple, I felt like a power bowl.

power bowl

Sweet potatoes, brown rice, spinach, chick pea/avocado mash and a steam fresh mix of broccoli, snap peas and some asparagus.

I realized that I haven’t been eating vegetables at lunch lately and I also realized I haven’t had mashed chick peas with avocado in quite some time so it was time to bring it back.

Snack:

I was running errands in the area of Fresh Market so yes, I stopped in to see what fruit they had on sample.

fruit

I do love the cotton candy grapes but I don’t love the price so I had a bunch and left without buying them 🙂

Dinner:

I have been busy roasting up a potato storm over the last week and used up all of my Japanese sweet potatoes.

potatoes

I had a few Japanese sweet potato wedges left over so Monday’s dinner included some of those plus a new batch of regular roasted sweet potato wedges.

dinner

I love combining tomato sauce with sweet potatoes. This was a version of my Italian style power bowl recipe.

Dessert:

The main reason I haven’t shared my favorite peanut butter chocolate chip dip recipe of the moment is because 1) I eat it too fast to allow it to pose for a proper picture and 2) I don’t use exact measurements but need to do so in order to offer you a recipe.

apple with pb

I left out the chocolate chips Monday night but when I do finally share the recipe with you (my goal is next week), you can be sure the mini chocolate chips will be included.

Don’t forget to check out what everyone else is eating today!

Health Benefits of Cinnamon #wiaw #cinnamon #powerbowl #recenteats Click To Tweet

***************

Are you a cinnamon fan? What do you add it to the most and do you think you notice any of the health claims?

Have you tried cotton candy grapes yet?

Favorite way to eat a potato?

• Susie @ SuzLyfe September 2, 2015, 6:50 am

LOVE Cinnamon. I went through a phase last year where I put cinnamon and a bit of cayenne on just about anything. I still put cinnamon on the majority of sweet/savory things (like oats, or toast, and on bananas, because otherwise I’m not the biggest fan, also on ice cream). I’m all about Saigon/Vietnamese cinnamon, which has the highest oil content and the most flavor. Oh and cinnamon has to go on SP’s if i’m going the more sweet route!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Healthy “Peach Salsa” Egg White Omelet RecipeMy Profile

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine September 2, 2015, 6:59 am

I just said on Michele’s blog yesterday that I didn’t like cinnamon when I was growing up! I have no idea why not, but luckily I have gotten over that. I could probably use it more than I do, but I add it to my smoothies quite often and also use it for baking.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…A Look Back at August 2015My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 2, 2015, 9:39 am

I try to add it to everything lately because I do believe in the health claims. I always liked it so it’s not really a problem for me.

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables September 2, 2015, 7:51 am

I have GOT to try those cotton candy grapes I keep hearing about them!
    Liz @ I Heart Vegetables recently posted…What I Ate… (But Didn’t Cook)My Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma September 2, 2015, 8:09 am

Cinnamon is awesome 🙂 I love adding some cinnamon and a little coconut sugar to my Japanese sweet potatoes!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Feeding A Paleo Runner WIAWMy Profile

• Gretchen | Gretchruns September 2, 2015, 8:55 am

I actually hate cinnamon! I wish I didn’t since it’s so good for you, but I just can’t stand the smell or taste of it. I might have to just suck it up and add a little since it’s so good for you!

I really want to try cotton candy grapes but I can’t find them anywhere 🙁
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Wednesday Reviews : Stitchfix #2My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 2, 2015, 9:37 am

I really like those cotton candy grapes. I don’t understand how they can so accurately taste like cotton candy!

• Grace @ Diary of a Running Snail September 2, 2015, 9:56 am

I really really love cinnamon on everything (especially oatmeal and sweet potatoes) and had no idea of most of these health benefits – score!!
    Never tried cotton candy grapes but they sound like the best thing ever!
    I loved roasted sweet potatoes (with coconut oil and cinnamon)! They are like dessert for dinner!!
    Grace @ Diary of a Running Snail recently posted…Reality Check Wednesday – September Goals EditionMy Profile

• Lilly September 2, 2015, 10:03 am

Oh cinnamon. I think I’ve ramped up my cinnamon tolerance so much I need to now add triple the amount any recipe calls for. I loooovee putting it in my chili and some stew recipes actually (as well as the obvious oatmeal/baking/sweet pots)- it does something to bring out all the other flavors. I have yet to try these japanese sweet potatoes and the cotton candy grapes!! Everything looks delicious!

• Suzy September 2, 2015, 10:17 am

I knew that about cinnamon! I add it to americanos with cream, and it just makes my coffee feel extra elegant. I’m sure I’ve tried grape cotton candy… but never cotton candy grapes. I’m skeptical, though. And intrigued. My mom would always try to trick me into eating fruit by saying, “oh these ___ taste just like candy!” and I’d eat one and be like, NICE TRY! “A” for effort, mom!
    Suzy recently posted…Woozy Wednesday: FlirtotallyMy Profile

• Jamie September 2, 2015, 10:22 am

I put cinnamon on everything. In smoothies, on my apple in the morning, oatmeal, but my favorite of all is a baked sweet potato with nothing but cinnamon on top! So delish! I really want to try these Japanese potatoes… have to add to my grocery list for next week : )
    Jamie recently posted…WIAW – The “Cleanse” EditionMy Profile

• Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl September 2, 2015, 10:36 am

I need to try both the Japanese sweet potatoes and cotton candy grapes – I always need yummy new carbs in my life 🙂
    Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…WIAW #22My Profile

• Anne September 2, 2015, 10:44 am

I’m glad someone else loves cinnamon as much as I do! I put it on everything–fruit, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, ice cream, toast, blend it into smoothies, etc., and it goes great on butternut squash, sweet potatoes, and brown rice (or really any other grain). I’ve always liked cinnamon, but I’ve noticed that since I’ve been using it more, the frequency of my migraines has decreased. My grandmother, who is 86, takes a cinnamon supplement, and her blood pressure and cholesterol levels are great.

• Sarah @pickyrunner September 2, 2015, 10:53 am

I’ve been on a potato kick at dinner and I’m loving it. Except I’m lazy so I just microwave them ha. The 7-eleven near me mixed up the hot chocolate powders in the machine so I’ve been drinking mexican hot chocolate which has a kick of cinnamon. It took awhile to get used to but I actually do like that added spice in the morning and I’ve noticed slight differences.
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…The swing of thingsMy Profile

• Shannon September 2, 2015, 11:33 am

I have not found those grapes yet! I don’t even like cotton candy, but they seem so interesting. Are they good? I love cinnamon! It is my favorite spice I think. I add a ton of it to every baked good I make.
    Shannon recently posted…Apple Pie Protein SmoothieMy Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 2, 2015, 12:34 pm

I never notice the health claims of cinnamon, but that’s probably because I’ve been eating tonnes of it since I was a tiny little thing so it just feels like the norm to me 😛 And this is probably the 4th time I heard someone mention cotton candy grapes in the past 2 days, but I don’t think we have them up here. Sad faces.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. no bake salted caramel pretzel bars .My Profile

• Arman @ thebigmansworld September 2, 2015, 1:44 pm

I would bathe in the Saigon cinnamon from Costco! You leave me craving power bowls bad!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…The Ultimate 1 Minute Protein Brownie (Paleo, Vegan, gluten free)My Profile

• Alaina @ thesimplepeach September 2, 2015, 4:02 pm

I love cinnamon in my coffee! Yum! We are obsessed with the cotton candy grapes. They are pricey but such a nice little treat.

• Heather@hungryforbalance September 2, 2015, 9:08 pm

I love cinnamon and I put it on just about everything. I love that you can use it in both sweet and savory dishes.
    Heather@hungryforbalance recently posted…WIAW: When in doubt, just eat nut butterMy Profile

• GiGi Eats September 2, 2015, 11:03 pm

CINNAMON ON EVERYTHING! I LOVE IT ON TURKEY AND CHICKEN just as much as I love it on Japanese squashes!!! YUM YUM YUM! 😀 😀 😀 😀
    GiGi Eats recently posted…Taiwan Kitchen TakeoverMy Profile

• Niki @ Life With Niki September 3, 2015, 12:55 am

I am very picky when it comes to spices but I LOVE cinnamon on everything. Oats, fruit, toast… I think I even put in on my spaghetti once.
    I was also super skeptical about the whole ‘cotton candy grapes’ thing but when I actually tried it I was in awe… they are so amazing!
    Niki @ Life With Niki recently posted…WIAW | Steak & Potatoes Are LifeMy Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets September 5, 2015, 10:26 am

Cinnamon is the bomb.com, and I love your potato roasting session. #spudlove