Monday’s Meals

Let’s take a look at what I ate on Monday although really, Monday’s meals look like any other weekday when I am not out for lunch or dinner.

What can I say, I am creature of habit and that will never change.

WHAT-I-ATE-WEDNESDAY-NEW-BUTTON-PEAS-AND-CRAYONS

Pre-Workout Breakfast:

We are calling Monday’s first breakfast Pre-Workout instead of Pre-Run because I didn’t run, I went to the gym after Pure Barre instead.

There is no nice way to display the early morning bowl of oatmeal especially now that the sun isn’t rising until after I eat.

I don’t even want to talk about the dark mornings because then I start thinking about winter dark (snowing and freezing) mornings that often send me to the treadmill instead of outside and I am not ready for that.

oatmeal

And yes, you are correct, those are frozen blueberries mixed in with my oatmeal and cinnamon because suddenly the fresh blueberries are either unavailable or only available if I want to fork over $5.99 for one handful.

Post-Workout Breakfast:

Just because I didn’t run doesn’t mean I skip my second breakfast. I follow the same eating patterns every day of the week – easy runs, speed runs, long runs, cross-training, rest days etc., just adding more to the bowl when I run more miles.

Here’s a look before I mix everything up…

oatmeal

Cold oatmeal on the bottom with strawberries, blueberries, Skoop B-Strong (best protein powder ever, seriously) and lots of peanut butter.

I worked from Starbucks instead of Panera for a change of scenery and coffee flavor.

starbucks

Lunch:

I brought a peanut butter and banana sandwich on cinnamon raisin Ezekiel bread with me to Starbucks just so I wouldn’t have to leave as soon as my appetite kicked in and my stomach started to growl at me.

pb & banana sandwich

I like to eat every couple of hours because anything beyond that makes me cranky, gives me a stomach ache and leaves me unable to focus.

I had another banana (I think with some peanut butter) when I got home in the afternoon. I have been eating a lot of bananas lately.

Dinner:

I am currently obsessed with Japanese sweet potatoes which is really not okay because not every grocery store sells them (I am looking at you Trader Joe’s).

If you have had the Japanese sweet potato, you know why I like it – still sort of sweet with a similar texture to the regular sweet potato BUT there’s that terrific, distinguishable extra bite of starchiness that is just SO satisfying.

japanese sweet potatoes

Not so satisfying is the wild shrimp I bought from Whole Foods. Bleh. In fact, I am returning the bag ASAP.

I do not eat fish all that often at all and usually do not buy it for the house but sometimes, on occasion, I get the frozen wild shrimp from Trader Joe’s. However, Trader Joe’s has been out of that frozen wild shrimp for quite a while so I thought the Whole Foods bag would be a good substitute. Wrong. It’s awful.

Dessert:

I have been warming up my diced apple with cinnamon before adding the peanut butter which is something I really haven’t done since the winter.

I love warmed apples and my stomach really appreciates this snack because cooked apples are easier for me to digest.

apple with pb

One of these days I will get around to the recipe post for my latest peanut butter chocolate chip dip.

It’s just so good that I eat it all immediately, leaving no time for proper picture taking. I am lucky it even makes it to the bowl.

Be sure to check out what everyone else is eating today 🙂

Monday's Meals #wiaw #recenteats #oatmeal #peanutbutter #skoop @healthyskoop Click To Tweet

**************

Do you like Japanese sweet potatoes better than regular sweet potatoes? How do you normally cook them?

Am I the only one back to frozen blueberries already?

Are you packing lunch today? What did you prepare?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine August 26, 2015, 7:11 am

I have never tried Japanese sweet potatoes! I know Michele has talked about them before but I haven’t seen them in any of the stores I go to.
    I packed my lunch today which is leftovers from last night (chicken thighs, potatoes, and broccoli) along with lots of snacks!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Comfort Foods on a Rest DayMy Profile

• Miss Polkadot August 26, 2015, 8:03 am

While I’m likely the only blogger who doesn’t like sweet potatoes I wonder if the Japanese variety would be more up my alley. How do they differ in taste?
    And yesss, please share your dip recipe! There are never enough peanut butter creations around.
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Food Talk Wednesday #4My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 28, 2015, 10:24 am

I don’t know what is taking me so long to share this recipe! Probably because I eat it too fast to arrange it for a picture.

• Lesq August 26, 2015, 8:17 am

Michele turned me on to the Japanese sweet potato and it is a regular for me now. I don’t have a problem finding them because a lot of the city stores sell them. Love nut butters as much as you do. I find people either love them or don’t. I am trying not to complain Bout the humidity, because our winter two degree weather is UGH!!!! Have a great end of the week and weekend. You must be busy getting your son and your mind wrapped around the school year starting. Where did summer go? Too fast!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 26, 2015, 8:22 am

Yes! I am busy with the school supplies but he doesn’t actually start until after Labor Day, can you believe it? Everyone else starts next week! I love my peanut butter, I think I eat it at every meal 🙂

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma August 26, 2015, 8:21 am

I’m so glad you’re on the Japanese sweet potato train with me! I’ve been obsessed for nearly a year now. Also I bought that same bread for my kids and they’ve been loving it for PB&J 🙂
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…WIAW – Hi Ho Back to the Stove I GoMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 26, 2015, 8:24 am

I am totally obsessed but I can’t get them at every store. Ugh , I will pick them up today when I return the shrimp to whole foods lol

• Grace @ Diary of a Running Snail August 26, 2015, 8:34 am

I have never tried Japanese sweet potatoes, but they look/sound tasty! I will have to see if they have them at my usual grocery store:)
    I pack my lunch at least 5 days a week, so today I packed a bean salad with an avocado and corn chips (plus a million snacks!!)
    I eat oatmeal religiously too and feel pretty terrible the rest of the day when I skip out on it! It’s so funny how accustomed the body becomes to certain foods we eat!
    Grace @ Diary of a Running Snail recently posted…Weekend Things & The Coolest Experience EverMy Profile

• Jamie August 26, 2015, 9:10 am

I’ve never had a Japanese sweet potato but now I really want to go find some to try!! And I’m all about that frozen fruit… once it is out of season I only buy the frozen variety… way to expensive, and at least it lasts longer! Packed a bit of Bocca veggie faux meat grounds, sweet potatoes and zucchini! With an Ezekial tortilla. Can’t wait to eat – and it’s only 9AM . Haha
    Jamie recently posted…WIAW – Nantucket FavesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 28, 2015, 10:22 am

I get used to the frozen berries fairly quickly but I miss the fresh blueberries anyway

• Susie @ SuzLyfe August 26, 2015, 9:47 am

Love Japanese sweet potatoes, but it’s been forever since I’ve had them. I packed lunch today, but it isn’t half as delicious looking as yours!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Marathon Training Nutrition: Long Run DayMy Profile

• Suzy August 26, 2015, 10:11 am

Oh I am NOT looking forward to packing lunches again. We still have two weeks left before the kids start school and I’m soaking it up!
    Suzy recently posted…Woozy Wednesday: A Kid TakeoverMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 28, 2015, 10:21 am

I know, I am not ready either for making sandwiches every day or waking him up early and getting him out the door in the morning!

• Alyssa @ RenaissanceRunnerGirl August 26, 2015, 10:30 am

Still trying to make summer last through September! At least it’s still light by 6ish which is when I’d be up earliest til my new job starts 🙂 I’ve never had Japanese sweet potatoes I don’t think, but now I think I’d be a fan and they are on my list to try.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 28, 2015, 10:20 am

I think you would love them! Definitely try them if you can find them.

• Shannon August 26, 2015, 11:06 am

I am not a fan of sweet potatoes. Maybe I would like the Japanese ones better. I like white potatoes WAY better.
    Shannon recently posted…Back to School Vegetarian Lunch IdeasMy Profile

• Jessie August 26, 2015, 12:07 pm

Come visit me in Kuwait – they always have Japanese sweet potatoes. I even promise to take you to Red Mango after dinner (which will include Japanese sweet potatoes) for dessert. Is that a date?

• Niki @ Life With Niki August 26, 2015, 1:34 pm

I love any sort of nut butter on ezekiel bread- especially cinnamon raisin! I like to put it in the toaster until it is extra crispy. I also love its awesome nutritional profile and ingredients!
    Niki @ Life With Niki recently posted…WIAW | When Meals Switch PlacesMy Profile

• Heather@hungryforbalance August 26, 2015, 2:04 pm

I haven’t had a Japanese sweet potato in forever! Thank you for reminding me about them! I am the same way about eating frequently. If I don’t, it gets ugly fast. And a warmed apple with nut butter and chocolate chips sounds like the perfect dessert.
    Heather@hungryforbalance recently posted…WIAW: If it ain’t broke…My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 28, 2015, 10:19 am

Definitely the perfect the dessert. I have the combo just about every night of the week.

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 26, 2015, 3:15 pm

I was actually just thinking about how dark the mornings are getting these days… Like this morning? Totally pitch black when I was eating breakfast. I both love it and hate it 😉 And I honestly can’t say that I’ve ever had a Japanese sweet potato, but your lunch reminds me of something I”d pack to school all.the.time. Except with almond butter instead of peanut 😛

• thesimplepeach August 26, 2015, 4:37 pm

Mmmmm….peanut butter! I packed a strawberry and pecan salad with some leftover cassoulet. It was delish!

• Jessica @ Balance and Thyme August 26, 2015, 7:16 pm

You had me at Peanut butter chip dip. I can’t wait for that recipe!
    I also have better luck digesting cooked apples. That is a perfect fall snack!
    Jessica @ Balance and Thyme recently posted…What I ate Wednesday #5 and the JarMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 28, 2015, 10:16 am

I really have to post the recipe. It’s so simple, I don’t know what is taking me so long.

• Arman @ thebigmansworld August 26, 2015, 7:34 pm

Just because I didn’t run doesn’t mean I skip my second breakfast.

I am totally using that excuse every day 😀
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…No Bake Cookies and Cream Protein BarsMy Profile

• Nikki @ will run for pizza August 27, 2015, 10:53 am

I have never even HEARD of japanese sweet potatoes! What the HECK have I been walking past in TJ’s?! i’m adding to my list.
    Nikki @ will run for pizza recently posted…Some things to think about…My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 28, 2015, 10:08 am

TJ doesn’t sell them, at least not the locations by me. I recommend you try them though, from Whole Foods or a produce market.

Next post: