Thinking Out Loud – August 20, 2015

Thinking-Out-Loud

I don’t really know about this flavor combination.

popcorn in a pickle

I was always a pickle fan, the more sour the better, but I never cared for the dill. Pickles mixed with popcorn? I just don’t know about this.

They were giving out samples in Trader Joe’s earlier this week. My son was all about trying it and said it was terrific but I didn’t taste it because I honestly didn’t want to and I don’t do things I don’t want to do.

The runner in me needs a new pair of Adidas Energy Boosts and I was supposed to seek out a good internet deal to order them after last week’s long run but the girl in me felt new sandals were more important right now.

sandals

I ordered two new pairs of cute flip flops even with fall on the horizon and an October 3rd half marathon on the calendar which requires new running shoes NOW.

kate spade sandals

The Kate Spade flip flops complete with glitter bring out the child in me. In fact, this outfit made me think that perhaps I dress like I am some sort of tween but I don’t really care.

Glitter and rhinestones make me smile <– I feel like this statement needs to include sprinkles. Sprinkles, glitter and rhinestones for life!

I had to be in the city in the late afternoon on Tuesday for a quick meeting followed by a company dinner. I stopped in for a manicure before the meeting because my nails needed attention and it’s a quick and easy thing to do since there is a nail salon on every corner in Manhattan.

manicure

Dinner was at Red Rooster in Harlem which was super hip, cool and fun.

red rooster

My son texted me to see where I ended up for dinner (it was a limo ride restaurant surprise from the meeting to dinner <– love the people I work for!) and when I told him, he texted me back to say he looked up the menu (I have raised a real foodie) and didn’t see much that I would want to eat.

red rooster food

I found plenty to order but really, I could have been easily satisfied with multiple plates of the warm and fresh cornbread.

I love cornbread. Like, really love. How did you let me forget this? I have cornmeal. Share your cornbreadish recipes with me, okay?

In case you forgot, I handle event industry writing stuff and social media for AllSeated and actually started using the product myself as I start to plan my son’s Bar Mitzvah which is a year from this October.

I don’t even understand how my baby is close to old enough for a Bar Mitzvah or how it is possible that I am planning a Bar Mitzvah which is basically equal to planning a wedding or something out of MTV’s My Super Sweet 16 minus the car as a gift at the end of the party.

We discussed some of his Bar Mitzvah planning details over lunch yesterday since there’s no camp this week and school doesn’t begin until after Labor Day.

bbq ranch salad

There are some new menu items at The Cheesecake Factory but they don’t really matter to me since I cannot order something different from my usual.

I made that mistake once in 1999 and I will never do it again. Call me crazy but I like what I eat and don’t want to mess with a good thing.

Be sure to check out what everyone else is thinking about today 🙂

****************

Do you like pickles? What kind is your favorite?

Do you have a cornbread type recipe for me?

Anyone planning a wedding, Bar Mitzvah or Sweet 16 at the moment?

• Susie @ Suzlyfe August 20, 2015, 7:16 am

Have you made my cornbread zucchini muffins yet? Add sugar to make them sweeter. There are subs if you don’t want to do them with protein powder.
    Also, I must try the pickle popcorn.
    Susie @ Suzlyfe recently posted…In Defense of SummerMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 20, 2015, 10:44 am

I haven’t made them but I am now remembering your recipe and saying that I wanted to!

• Gretchen | Gretchruns August 20, 2015, 8:34 am

I am a HUGE pickle lover!! A few weeks ago, Pittsburgh hosted a big Picklesburg event and it was so much fun. So many pickle themed items! I tried that popcorn and really liked it, but I’m not really a bagged popcorn person (fresh or nothing) so I didn’t buy it. I really really like those sandals. So cute! Unfortunately I have the ugliest toes ever so I keep them covered up for others’ sake.
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Quick and Easy Lunch Ideas (GIVEAWAY)My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 20, 2015, 10:43 am

I am not a bagged popcorn person either but if you liked this popcorn too, the least I could do is try it!

• Janice Vetrano August 20, 2015, 8:55 am

Loved the sandals with the glittery bow. I have been wearing a pair that looks similar so what should I say if you are dressing like a tween and I am twice your age. Who cares – just have fun and enjoy what you do.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 20, 2015, 10:42 am

Hahaha yes, agreed – we should wear them because we love them and not care 🙂

• Niki @ Life With Niki August 20, 2015, 9:29 am

Love the shoes girl! I cannot surpass anything that is Tory Burch, sparkly, with BOWS, and pink- fabulous choice ;)!
    Niki @ Life With Niki recently posted…How To Heal From Hypothalamic Amenorrhea (When You Lose Your Period)My Profile

• Jamie August 20, 2015, 9:39 am

Love love love me some pickles. I love the big deli pickles you get with your sandwich. Those are my absolute fave 🙂
    Jamie recently posted…Oh Hey #TOLTMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 20, 2015, 10:42 am

And I just love the super sour pickles! I don’t eat them often enough!

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 20, 2015, 10:27 am

I’m in dire need of a new pair of sandals after my favourite pair broke a few weeks ago. It’s a good thing we’re in the tail end of summer and I still managed to get a tonne of wear out of them, but still! And maybe it’s because I’m so far north and it’s not a huge thing up here, but I’ve never really understood the whole cornbread thing. I like it, but I always forget about it.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. thinking out loud #144 .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 20, 2015, 10:41 am

I forget about it too but omg, I just love it. Corn muffins were my fave as a kid.

• Sarah @pickyrunner August 20, 2015, 10:51 am

I thought about ordering new running shoes but then found a million other things I’d rather spend money on… even though I am long overdue for a new pair (hello, it’s been like 6 months which is the longest I’ve ever gone I think). Thank goodness mizuno zach pulled through for me to test out a new model. SO COOL that you had a surprise limo ride to dinner! Okay I want your job…
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…“Have to” versus “Get to”My Profile

• Emily August 20, 2015, 10:55 am

Woah, that popcorn looks weird. And that salad with onion rings is pretty good looking.
    Emily recently posted…Thinking out Loud: Chocolate Chip Cookie Granola!My Profile

• Grace @ Diary of a Running Snail August 20, 2015, 11:18 am

Okay, I need those glitter flipflops ASAP!! They are amazing!
    And I’m the opposite – I love dill pickles and anything dill pickle flavour!:)
    Grace @ Diary of a Running Snail recently posted…Reality Check WednesdayMy Profile

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl August 20, 2015, 12:18 pm

My GF cornbread muffins would be perfect – I use a mix of cornmeal and Gf flour but you could easily do them up to suit you!
    Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Pond Hopping Part 3: “Second Degree Fun” in the LakesMy Profile

• Shannon August 20, 2015, 1:10 pm

I just saw the pickle popcorn yesterday too. Its too weird for me. I don’t like pickle flavored anything. I LOVE pickles, but just by themselves.
    Shannon recently posted…Lemon Tofu Shish KebabsMy Profile

• Heather@hungryforbalance August 20, 2015, 10:08 pm

I love pickles and I love popcorn, but I am not sure about the two together. That salad looks Epic!
    Heather@hungryforbalance recently posted…ABCDEFGMy Profile

• Arman @ thebigmansworld August 21, 2015, 9:58 am

Meredith! I have more respect for your son now that he not only tried the popcorn, but he enjoyed it. I love pickles and may have brought home a box full of lays pickle chips from Canada.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…“Life Experience” is not a medical qualificationMy Profile

• Danielle August 26, 2015, 2:12 pm

Currently in the very early stages of wedding planning and, oh my it is overwhelming!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 28, 2015, 10:18 am

Oh no, don’t let it overwhelm you. It should be fun even though it can seem like a daunting task. I do recommend allseated, even though I work for them, I would use their tools anyway! Definitely check it out and if you have any questions at all, please let me know! AllSeated helps streamline and organized your planning process. I am using it now for my son’s Bar Mitzvah which is like planning a wedding.