WIAW- Long Run Day Eats

Let’s take a look at what I ate on Saturday since it was the day of my long run (15 miles). If you missed my weekly workout recap post on Sunday, click here to catch up on my workouts and latest race registration!

WHAT-I-ATE-WEDNESDAY-NEW-BUTTON-PEAS-AND-CRAYONS

Breakfast:

The usual pre-run small bowl of oatmeal with cinnamon, some banana and peanut butter.

oatmeal

I am often asked how much I eat before I run and the answer is, I do not know. It’s usually less than a full bowl of oatmeal, half a banana and small amount of peanut butter because I run/workout fairly close to when I finish eating.

If I feel hungry after I eat, I wait a few minutes. If I am still hungry, I take a little bit more but try to keep it to truly “a little bit” because I do not want a digestion/ stomach ache issue while I am running.

For a race morning however, I do eat a full bowl of oatmeal with peanut butter (plus some banana sometimes) since I have more time to digest and must ensure I do not get hungry.

I usually get my pre-run fueling right but for this long run, I actually got hungry in the middle which was not okay at all! The raisins I bring with me as mid-run fuel are not for my appetite but for my energy.

My post-run oatmeal in a jar contained extra of everything since I was really hungry.

oats in a jar

Cooked (cold) oatmeal mixed with A TON of berries, Skoop B-Strong (obsessed with this protein powder) and peanut butter.

I got back into bed for a bit after eating and brought my coffee with me.

pro compression

Lunch:

After lying around and doing some work, I knew I was too hungry to leave the house without eating lunch. I made a smoothie bowl which is basically the same as my breakfast only blended up with the addition of spinach and almond milk.

smoothie-bowl

In the mix:

• Cooked oatmeal
  • Frozen blueberries
  • Frozen pineapple
  • Spinach
  • Skoop B-Strong
  • Almond Milk
  • Ice

Topped with swirls of peanut butter of course.

I may not have had lunch at Red Mango but I got really lucky when the shopping center I was in had a Red Mango and they were giving out samples of their new acai bowls! The sample was delicious, I must go back this week to order it for lunch.

acai bowl

Doesn’t everyone keep watermelon in their purse in case of a watermelon craving emergency?

watermelon

I was going to get my hair highlighted and got nervous I would get hungry so I stopped at Trader Joe’s for an emergency package of watermelon.

Dinner:

We ended up at the last minute deciding to go to the West East Bistro which serves an all organic and locally-sourced menu.

We started with veggie rolls which contained fresh local vegetables served with sriracha on the side which we subbed with hoisin sauce because we like that better.

Sean, the manager, gave us lots of details on the food and assured me the rolls were not deep fried, only pan fried, as they don’t deep fry anything.

veggie-rolls

I custom ordered a vegetable stir fry with brown rice (can you see the purple carrots?)

east-west-cafe

I also ordered a side of avocado to top off my stir fry because everything is better with avocado.

Dessert:

It had been way too long since I had a chocolate dipped waffle bowl from Cold Stone Creamery. I can’t even recall the last time I had one (I will have to go through my old blog posts to get an accurate date on this) and that’s just not acceptable.

cold stone

I had them mix the chocolate and vanilla yogurts with chocolate chips, hot fudge and whipped cream. But really, it’s all about the bowl.

My appetite after running 15 miles this time around wasn’t all that different from any other day of the week. Some long runs make me ravenous and some just don’t.

Overall lately, I do not have extreme hungry days and I attribute that directly to how quickly I refuel after every workout and how much I eat at that time. Bigger post run breakfasts and making sure I eat when I am hungry make a huge difference for me.

Be sure to check out what everyone else is eating today!

Long run day eats #wiaw #longrun #running #recenteats #coldstone #redmango #acai #oatmeal Click To Tweet

***************

Are you an acai bowl fan?

How quickly after your workouts do you eat?

What’s your emergency snack lately in your bag?

• Susie @ Suzlyfe August 19, 2015, 6:52 am

I’ve definitely noticed that this time around, I am much better about my long run day nutrition and am not getting as much runger the next day too! Self five plus mental high five for you. Sure, I get munchy and whatnot, but I think that I’m way better overall, and it has made a huge difference!
    Susie @ Suzlyfe recently posted…Get Over Yourself and Take the First StepMy Profile

• Kate August 19, 2015, 7:52 am

I love the emergency watermelon. I think I need to invest in a purse that doubles as a cooler.
    Kate recently posted…All my kitchen (WIAW)My Profile

• Alyssa @ renaissancerunnergirl August 19, 2015, 8:38 am

I have extreme hunger days here and there but not necessarily in correlation to long run days. I find that when I eat small amounts throughout the day it tends to be better controlled, but unfortunately sometimes that’s not possible and it gets crazy!

• Lizzie August 19, 2015, 9:25 am

EVERYTHING LOOKS AMAZING. YUM! and way to go with your running, you inspire me!

• Suzy August 19, 2015, 9:36 am

I’ve never tried an Acai bowl. Crazy, eh? I don’t know if it’s because I live in the ‘burbs or what but I just don’t see them around here. I don’t eat much after my runs. I force myself to. I think I’ll finally try sticking some protein powder into my bowl of oatmeal though. I’ve seen you do it so many times that it’s time I just try it.
    Suzy recently posted…Woozy Wednesday: ShitmixMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 19, 2015, 9:54 am

for sure, you can trust me, it’s delicious, especially Skoop! Let me know what you think when you try it.

• Sarah @pickyrunner August 19, 2015, 10:43 am

I’m never hungry before running and I’m rarely hungry after races/long runs. But on rest days– I can’t stop eating. I am still playing with making sure I’m getting enough food but also that I’m eating the right foods instead of filling up on junk. There’s ALWAYS room for dessert though. Always. I can’t remember the last time I had coldstone. Kilwins has just replaced my love for their creations I guess, but maybe I should mix it up and go back there soon. There’s one at my office and I have yet to go…
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Camping Take TwoMy Profile

• Jamie August 19, 2015, 11:14 am

Heck yes to that waffle bowl! Looks absolutely delicious! I’m usually hungry the day after my long run, not the day off. It takes me about 2 hours to feel super hungry after running. I need to start work on getting protein and carbs back in soon after my workout. And I always keep a packet of instant oatmeal and a quest bar in my bag when traveling. 🙂
    Jamie recently posted…Say What #MIMMMy Profile

• Niki @ Life With Niki August 19, 2015, 11:27 am

Everything about this day of eats seemed so perfect to me… from the awesome oats to the nut butter coated smoothie bowl to the sprinkle ice-cream <3. Can I be you or….?
    Niki @ Life With Niki recently posted…WIAW | A Day Of Perfect Eats and Zac EfronMy Profile

• Jessie August 19, 2015, 11:52 am

I need that bowl of cold stone goodness in my life.. pronto!! I’ve done it before, but it should be illegal to visit Cold Stone and NOT get a waffle bowl or cone. Those babies are so good!!

• Shannon August 19, 2015, 1:48 pm

I haven’t ever tried an acai bowl! They sound good, but they are always really expensive.
    Shannon recently posted…Healthy “Fried” BananasMy Profile

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables August 19, 2015, 1:51 pm

Ohhh those acai bowls from Red Mango sound yummy, but not as yummy as that waffle bowl from Coldstone 😉 haha I loooove ice cream!
    Liz @ I Heart Vegetables recently posted…A Vegetable Filled DayMy Profile

• Dani @ Dani California Cooks August 19, 2015, 2:16 pm

that stir-fry looks delicious!! and your dessert looks even better. whenever I go out and get ice cream, i always get a cone because hey – it’s worth it!!
    Dani @ Dani California Cooks recently posted…WIAW – Typical Spokane TuesdayMy Profile

• Grace @ Diary of a Running Snail August 19, 2015, 2:35 pm

I have never tried an acai bowl before but I would love to!
    My go to snack is usually an apple and some mixed nuts. Convenient and yummy. And fits much easier in a purse;)
    I’m really working on eating sooner after a run but it’s a work in progress!
    Grace @ Diary of a Running Snail recently posted…What I’m Trying to Figure OutMy Profile

• Gemma August 19, 2015, 2:43 pm

I’ve been craving ice cream so badly! That frozen yogurt looks so good! *.*
    I’m jealous

• Jacklyn @ Jack's Balancing Act August 19, 2015, 5:59 pm

Oh myyy a day that has oatmeal in it 3 times is a great day in my books 🙂 When it works out, I like timing my workouts right before a meal and having just a little nibble beforehand if I’m already hungry.
    Jacklyn @ Jack’s Balancing Act recently posted…My Favourite Food and Fitness BlogsMy Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 19, 2015, 7:20 pm

Watermelon in the purse! I’m impressed. Knowing my luck, I’d end up with a soggy purse that smells like melon… which wouldn’t be a horrible thing. My portable snack of choice lately has been dates and chocolate, though. Less chance of a mishap that way 😛
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. no-bake sweet and salty trail mix granola bars .My Profile

• GiGi Eats August 19, 2015, 7:22 pm

GOODNESSSSSS! That cold stone is just a sight for sore eyes! 😉

• Heather@hungryforbalance August 19, 2015, 10:36 pm

Used to be really bad about not enough enough protein after working out, but I have really been making an effort to drink a protein smoothie post workout. I feel like it has made a difference.
    Love the cold stone waffle bowl!
    Heather@hungryforbalance recently posted…WIAW: Taste the RainbowMy Profile

• Alissa @ PositiviTEA August 20, 2015, 11:32 am

I am LOVIN’ that emergency watermelon! Definitely something I’d do, haha!
    That Cold Stone has me craving it like noooo other, and I’m not a huge fan of ice cream anymore [more of a froyo person!]
    I never liked acai before, but I tried pitaya for the first time and it has a similar, but sweeter taste!

I used to force myself to eat immediately after a workout, but I normally wait a couple of minutes/maybe an hour depending how hungry I truly am!

Quest Bars/protein bars of different sorts, and fruit!
    Alissa @ PositiviTEA recently posted…Country Lovin’ + Our First WIAW!My Profile

• Sue @ This Mama Runs for Cupcakes August 23, 2015, 2:24 pm

I need to eat within 30 minutes after my workout or else I’m ravenous the rest of the day and I eat ALL the food!!