WIAW- The Day I Didn’t Eat Oatmeal

You read the title of this post correctly  – I did not have one spoonful of oatmeal on Sunday which may be the first time in easily one year, if not two, that I missed a day of oatmeal.

WHAT-I-ATE-WEDNESDAY-NEW-BUTTON-PEAS-AND-CRAYONS

I don’t even know why or how this lack of oatmeal happened! Oh wait, yes I do. I woke up Sunday morning not overly hungry yet craving a toasted English muffin.

english muffin with peanut butter and blueberries

It’s always interesting to me how the day after a long run I am either waking up nauseous starving or barely hungry. I didn’t even eat a ton on Saturday which made it more surprising to wake up Sunday morning satisfied with just half a toasted English muffin with peanut butter and blueberries.

I was up early so I had half when I woke up and then the other half two hours later, right before leaving for kickboxing. What’s funny is that I didn’t even want the second half because I wasn’t hungry but I ate it anyway because I knew that I needed more food in me in order to work out.

After kickboxing, I still wasn’t my starving self but we went for a late breakfast/brunch/early lunch at the Fuel Your Body Café which serves lots of healthy options.

I have eaten at the Fuel Your Body Café once before during which time I ordered the oatmeal but this time around, I went with the cranberry walnut salad topped with avocado which I showed you in Monday’s weekend recap post.

cranberry walnut salad

Since this cranberry walnut salad was technically my lunch but eaten kind of early, I was a little confused in the early afternoon. I wasn’t overly hungry but felt like I was supposed to eat something so I had a small diced apple with peanut butter, cinnamon and blueberries.

apple with peanut butter and blueberries

I have had been enjoying organic blueberries this week, by the way, because they were the same price as the conventional berries.

organic blueberries

Sunday evening I made an easy power bowl of sweet potato wedges, roasted broccoli, spinach and chick peas (at bottom of bowl) topped with avocado and barbeque sauce.

power bowl

After dinner I felt like another apple + peanut butter + blueberries combination. I diced up my largest granny smith apple and enjoyed every crisp bite.

apple with peanut butter and blueberries

And then the craving for watermelon hit, right before I sat down to watch I Am Cait. I had none left in the house, no time to get to Trader Joe’s for a giant $3.99 watermelon so a quick drive over to 7 Eleven was the only thing left to do.

watermelon

A full day without oatmeal. Hmm. I can’t say I missed it but I did go right back to eating it by Monday at lunch time 🙂

Be sure to check out what everyone else is eating today!

WIAW- The Day I Didn't Eat Oatmeal #wiaw #recenteats #oatmeal #peanutbutter #fuelyourbodycafe Click To Tweet

**********************

Is there a specific food you eat every single day for a really long time? Oatmeal and peanut butter are my daily foods!

Are you typically hungry the day after a long run or does it hit sooner/later?

Which fruit is top of your list at the moment?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine July 29, 2015, 5:53 am

I eat a lot of sweet potatoes, so I am always surprised when I make it a day without any. Usually my long run hunger hits the next day.
    Top fruit lately is blueberries, although we have just been buying whatever looks good at Fresh Market each week!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…The Marathon On My MindMy Profile

• Lisa July 29, 2015, 7:11 am

I’m pleased to see someone else who loves peanut just as much as me! I can’t go a day without it!

• Susie @ SuzLyfe July 29, 2015, 7:23 am

Must try Fuel Your Body Cafe. Not sure how, but must!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Believe. Begin Again. Dealing with AnxietyMy Profile

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables July 29, 2015, 7:59 am

I’m loving all that avocado! YUM! I swear it makes anything and everything taste better 🙂

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma July 29, 2015, 8:25 am

If there’s a day I don’t eat eggs I definitely take notice! I’ve eaten at least one egg every days for as long as I can remember, even before paleo so that would be really strange. I need to challenge myself to not eat eggs for a day and do a WIAW 🙂
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…WIAW Breakfast Salad, Fudge and Me at 8pmMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 29, 2015, 4:47 pm

Your experiment would be like me giving up peanut butter for a day. I don’t think I could do it!

• Gretchen | Gretchruns July 29, 2015, 9:37 am

I can’t believe you didn’t have oatmeal! That’s shocking for you. I get really tired of food if I have the same thing every day, so I usually don’t go more than 2 days of eating the same food. I could live off of berries and mango right now..I love fruit!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Upcoming Races, Training, and GoalsMy Profile

• Allegra July 29, 2015, 9:49 am

Greek yogurt almost everyday.
    The day after a long run i’m definitely at my hungriest!
    I’m all about watermelon right now.
    Allegra recently posted…Decisions Decisions My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 29, 2015, 4:46 pm

Watermelon is the best fruit at the moment, especially after a summer long run.

• Jamie July 29, 2015, 10:07 am

We’re total food twins, I love my oatmeal and nut butter! A day without green bell peppers is also a sad sad day for me. My hunger hits the next day after a long run. I usually lose most my appetite the day off, but the next day, anything that isn’t nailed down has a high likelihood of ending up in my belly 🙂
    Jamie recently posted…Groceries for Days WIAWMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 29, 2015, 4:39 pm

Imagine if I went a day without both oatmeal and peanut butter? it will never happen!

• Sarah @pickyrunner July 29, 2015, 11:13 am

If I go a day without a bagel, hot chocolate, or my TJs grilled chicken salad I feel like I’m having withdrawals haha it just doesn’t feel right to skip the bagel in favor of pancakes or something else. We like what we like!But it’s good to mix it up once in awhile, especially if that’s what you’re in the mood for.
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…A new milestoneMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 29, 2015, 4:38 pm

I definitely don’t skip oatmeal often but I always loved an English muffin with peanut butter (ate it for breakfast every day for a good 7 years) so I guess switching it up with one of my other favorites is okay 🙂

• Jessie July 29, 2015, 12:17 pm

No oatmeal? Oh my goodness. You better mark this down on your calendar. I guarantee you’ll only have a handful of days like this per year… MAYBE!! 🙂

When I used to run long distances I was always starving the day after my run. Never wanted anything the day of the run.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 29, 2015, 4:37 pm

I can’t imagine I will go a day without oatmeal again anytime soon! It was so weird.

• Niki @ Life With Niki July 29, 2015, 12:46 pm

Where is Meredith, and what have you done to her? Kidding, but I totally get where you are coming from. Some days even your fave combos don’t sound all that appetizing.
    My daily foods would have to be eggs, I eat them every morning!
    My top fruit right now would have to be fresh figs… so sweet, juicy, and wonderfully textured!
    Niki @ Life With Niki recently posted…WIAW: Interesting Food CombosMy Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. July 29, 2015, 2:08 pm

Remember my smoothie phase? That’s kind of when I gave up eating oatmeal for a while… but now I’m right back on the bandwagon and eating it daily. That, bananas, almond butter, and chocolate are staples for m, And I’d make special trips for watermelon as well. Love.that.stuff.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 29, 2015, 4:36 pm

I don’t think I knew you were totally back to oatmeal. Funny how that happens, you really did give it up for quite a while.

• Jessica @ Balance and Thyme July 29, 2015, 3:46 pm

I am also an oatmeal and PB (or any nut butter I can get my hands on!) kinda girl. It’s a daily thing for me too. I started making overnight oats this week to change things up a little and it was so nice to have a fast cold meal after my run.

Aren’t TJ’s blueberries SO good right now?

Happy WIAW!
    Jessica @ Balance and Thyme recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday #2My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 29, 2015, 4:36 pm

I am really going to miss fresh blueberries when the season passes! So good right now.

• Shannon July 29, 2015, 6:14 pm

I am obsessed with grapes right now! I don’t even know why. I went the longest time without liking them at all, and now I can’t stop eating them. Maybe because they are in season and super crunchy right now!
    Shannon recently posted…Veggie Packed Breakfast IdeasMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 30, 2015, 5:58 pm

My son loves grapes. I used to love them too and then I lost my interest. I used to like to freeze them.

• Arman @ thebigmansworld July 29, 2015, 7:32 pm

Okay as much as I’m shocked at the lack of oatmeal (and that cray colour), can we take a moment to praise BBQ sauce and avocado?! How have I not paired them both together yet?!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Three Ingredient No Bake Oatmeal BarsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 30, 2015, 5:57 pm

I don’t know how you haven’t had the combo! BBQ sauce with avocado, especially with sweet potatoes and even black beans, is just delicious!

• Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl July 29, 2015, 8:33 pm

Watermelon, strawberries and blueberries – summer fruits I want to savor as long as possible!
    Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Birthday Weekend Eats and TreatsMy Profile

• Emily July 30, 2015, 10:12 am

There are always those days when your normal staple food just doesn’t sound like a good fit for the day, so you go with something else. I’m learning to just go with the flow so I don’t get stuck in a rut.