Summer Weekend Recap

As I put this weekend recap post together, I realized that none of my time was spent at the beach or the pool which is in complete contrast to my typical posts from past summer seasons.

But I like the variety right now and knowing there’s so much more to do than just go to the beach. Let’s take a look at what I have been up to lately…

My son and I took the train to the city Thursday afternoon so that I could bring him to meet up with his dad (his dad works in the city) because they had tickets to the Mets game Thursday night.

I never take the train (I prefer to drive) but the traffic to/from and in the city during rush hour is always insane AND I knew that I could get a Red Mango parfait in Penn Station to eat in peace by myself while I waited to take the train back to the island.

Red Mango parfait

Thursday night I was at Refuge with friends but I have no pictures. Local readers, Four was reinvented into Refuge and it’s really cool, especially the outside patio.

Friday is always a happy day but especially happy when your doorbell rings from the UPS man with a LOVE Drop from Love Grown Foods!

Love-Drop

We love Oat Clusters. And their oatmeal is the best 🙂

After camp on Friday, my son requested sushi for dinner which I was not about to deny.

sushi

The original plan for Saturday after my long run was to head to the beach because it was gorgeous outside (no humidity!!) but then we changed our minds and went to the city with zero plans other than to walk around.

So many people escape the city in the summer but the truth is, there’s plenty to do!

city

We walked straight into a street fair on our way to the NHL store which was exciting because I got a big cup of watermelon. Watermelon is so needed after running long in the morning!

watermelon

We had lunch outdoors at Fresh & Co. which was just awesome! I went with a salad of chopped romaine, brussels sprouts, butternut squash, mushrooms, chick peas, pico de gallo, cucumbers and avocado.

salad

Fresh & Co. has so many options, I really have to go back to try some other things like the quinoa bowls, the breakfast options and the sandwiches. I didn’t notice these vegan sandwich options until after I ordered my salad which was a little disappointing because the falafel sandwich looked real good.

fresh & co

Of course we stopped at Magnolia Bakery so my son could have his favorite banana pudding. He even let me take a picture of it for you.

banana pudding

Saturday night involved more Japanese flavors at one of my favorite places, Minado. I missed the photo of dinner but got a picture of my crepe.

crepe

Kickboxing Sunday morning was such a nice treat and change of pace. I am a little sore today which I like to feel because it shows I actually did something different and worked my muscles. The boxing gloves are so fun, not that I make the big punching bag thing move very much when I hit it.

boxing gloves

We went out for an early lunch after class. I love cranberry walnut salads even though walnuts sometimes bother me. I keep craving this salad combination lately and it’s especially tasty when you add avocado to the mix.

salad

And then somehow we ended up walking around the town of Babylon in the afternoon looking at lots of crystals.

crystals

I got this bracelet. Doesn’t it remind you of jelly beans?

bracelet

And yes, my night concluded with watching I Am Cait. Did you watch?!

Summer Weekend Recap #summer #weekend #NYC @lovegrownfoods #kickboxing Click To Tweet

******************

Best thing you ate all weekend?

Favorite salad toppings?

What’s on the workout agenda for today?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine July 27, 2015, 6:28 am

The city can definitely be a fun change of pace! However if I was back on LI during the summer you would probably find me at the beach:) Best thing I ate this weekend was a gelato that Rob got for us at Fresh Market last night (it was chocolate PB so I knew I would love it) and also I made a veggie lasagna which was really good!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Weekend Updates- Friends, Family, and Billy JoelMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 27, 2015, 4:30 pm

You just put me in the mood for a veggie lasagna or even one of those made with zucchini. I always wanted to make that! I love Fresh Market, it’s my favorite store lately. And excuse me, when are you coming up to NY again? We have to meet up when you do!

• Susie @ SuzLyfe July 27, 2015, 7:11 am

New York and it’s street festivals–so much variety, yet there seems to always be the same vendors selling the same things intermixed in ALL OF THEM. I don’t know how they do it!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…A Series of Travel Fails #MIMMMy Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma July 27, 2015, 8:15 am

That salad looks great, I also love the cranberry walnut combo. Really true that the city is busy with lots to do any time of year, and I appreciate that on nice summer days it’s a bit more manageable crowd-wise 🙂
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…NYC Marathon Training Week 2 + WeekendMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 27, 2015, 4:27 pm

I can’t stop thinking lately about the cranberry walnut combo. I try not to eat walnuts because sometimes they really bother me but sometimes they don’t so every now and then, I give it a try 🙂 So good!

• Jamie July 27, 2015, 8:23 am

I’m hoping to get in a mid-distance run. I did not watch I am Cait… how was it!?!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 27, 2015, 4:23 pm

So I wasn’t all that into it! I don’t know, maybe I overwatched the Kardashian Bruce Jenner specials but it was just kind of okay to me. I thought he looked pretty lol

• Gretchen | Gretchruns July 27, 2015, 8:49 am

Your food looks so great as always! I haven’t had sushi in a while but looking at that makes me want to go now. This weekend my family had a big cookout and we had some amazing food. The highlight was a cookie cake..my favorite!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…What I Learned from the CrossFit GamesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 27, 2015, 4:20 pm

Ugh I LOVE cookie cakes. I keep thinking in the back of my mind that I am going to make one for no reason. With chocolate frosting 🙂

• Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl July 27, 2015, 12:12 pm

I do enjoy the street fairs in the city, but there’s something about the heat and ALL THE PEOPLE that makes me feel crushed in, especially in summer. I love my home city but definitely think I’m a New England girl at heart. Where you can also enjoy fresh watermelon 🙂
    Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Turning the Page to Chapter 24My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 27, 2015, 4:20 pm

The heat is definitely a killer for the street fairs (and the city in general lol) Saturday was gorgeous though, we really enjoyed the no humidity!

• Shannon July 27, 2015, 1:48 pm

I forgot to watch the Cait show! Darn. How was it?
    Shannon recently posted…Whole Wheat Blueberry Buttermilk PancakesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 27, 2015, 4:26 pm

I don’t know, I didn’t love it! I think I watched too many of the Kardashian specials on the subject before watching last night.

• Sarah @pickyrunner July 27, 2015, 2:29 pm

Sometimes changing up the weekend routine is nice! I kind of wish I lived outside of a bigger city so that I could easily get in but at the end of the day could go back to the suburbs. Living the dream. best thing I ate all weekend? cake balls from Whole Foods. I’m still dreaming of them…
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…A new milestoneMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles July 27, 2015, 4:18 pm

I saw that cake ball, looked so good! Totally meant to email you, where does the day go?

• Niki @ Life With Niki July 27, 2015, 6:02 pm

It seems as though everyone decided to get sushi this weekend… and even though I had some too I am having major cravings right now! I am a martial artist and let me tell you- nothing works your shoulder better than boxing and punching- when our training got ramped up I cannot even begin to explain how badly my arms where aching (and for two weeks straight)!
    Niki @ Life With Niki recently posted…How Reading Books Helped Me RecoverMy Profile