My Workout Routine

I know that I share my weekly workout recaps each Sunday but I having been meaning to take the time to discuss my routine a bit more in depth.

Believe it or not, there is actually method to my running madness <– but there wasn’t always.

Until recently.

Over the last few months, I decided to give my workouts a little bit more structure.

My workouts were usually determined each morning based upon what I felt like doing and I never followed a training plan.

However, a bunch of weeks ago, I took a better look at what it is I do and gave it some structure so that my routine would work better for me.

My running has progressed to the point where it averages out to 40 miles a week. I don’t even try for an amount, it just sort of happened gradually.

Some weeks are higher than 40 and some weeks are lower but what I noticed more than the amount of miles, was the quality.

Most of my runs were a bit la-de-da in nature. The distance was there but the effort was minimal.

While we can’t run hard every day, we can’t always run so easy either if we expect to grow as runners.

I needed some variety with my miles. I needed quick paces combined with recovery runs to help my muscles rebuild and recover.

I wasn’t looking to run more miles, I just wanted the miles I was running to have more purpose.

Pure Barre needed its slot in my routine too, carefully determined as to not affect my faster runs along with cross-training thrown in the mix as well.

So here is what I came up with:

workout routine

My Runs:

I picked Tuesday and Thursday as my harder run days with easy/recovery runs Monday, Wednesday and Friday with the option to cross train (or rest!).

I do not predetermine the distance of my easy runs, it all depends upon my mood but they typically average 3 – 5 miles.

8 miles became the amount for Tuesday and Thursday which works perfectly for my favorite new running workout.

Saturday has always been my long run day. Sometimes I deviate based upon other commitments but more often than not, Saturday is my day to go long with an average distance lately between 13-15 miles.

Pure Barre:

I truly adore Pure Barre. I love how it makes me feel; I think it has benefited my running greatly and the results that I see in my body still amaze me.

Pure Barre

As non-impact as the Pure Barre routine is though, it does fatigue the muscles.

I noticed in the winter that my leg muscles were always feeling contracted, if that makes sense. I put Pure Barre on the every other day rotation, carefully positioned on easy run days because running hard after Pure Barre was not working for me.

Sometimes I do Pure Barre Sundays and Mondays, which is okay and doesn’t hurt me but I don’t do it like this often.

Cross Training/Rest:

I do not schedule complete rest days. I take them as needed which I am sure you have noticed, does not happen every week.

Sometimes I skip a run, sometimes I drop a cardio plan altogether, but it really depends on my mood and how I am feeling. For the most part, I do really well when I balance the easy effort workouts with the harder workouts.

Please make sure you do what works for you. What works for me may not be the best option for your body.

I definitely try to replace an easy run each week with the elliptical machine instead and want to get back to spin. I keep saying it but haven’t done it yet!

Kickboxing has been fun too. It’s nice to work the muscles in a different way sometimes.

How  do I feel since implementing this plan?

Terrific! I absolutely without a doubt noticed a huge improvement in my running immediately! My pace during my Tuesday/Thursday runs is much quicker on a consistent basis than it was before going with this plan.

Sometimes we need a good shaking up of the routine. It helps us with motivation, to rejuvenate our love for running and exercise and challenge the muscles with something different.

We get used to and adjust really easily to doing the same thing over and over. Our bodies get more efficient over time which means we will not see the same results, sort of liking hitting a plateau which is what we all want to avoid.

For someone who never liked to follow a plan, I do enjoy having this little bit of structure!

Please excuse me now while I go get ready for my 8 mile run. It’s Tuesday you know.

My workout routinebroken down #running #fitness #workouts #purebarre Click To Tweet

**********

Is there method to your running madness each week when you aren’t training for a race?

On that note, are you currently training for a race and following a training plan?

What’s on the workout agenda for today?

• Hollie June 16, 2015, 7:13 am

This is so true. We cannot expect to grow as runners if we run all easy and beget injured if we run all hard. I’m glad you have found a balance for something that works well for you. Realistically that is all that matters!
    Hollie recently posted…So you want to start a blog?My Profile

• Susie @ SuzLyfe June 16, 2015, 7:28 am

We are so, so sosososo similar in our training plans. Like, identical, actually! With the exception of purebarre–I lift or do other sorts of things like yoga on those days, but our scheduling is right on. I too run 8 milers on my off days, but I will admit that they aren’t always speedwork!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Ragnar Chicago Race Recap and Post Race RecoveryMy Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma June 16, 2015, 8:10 am

This looks very much like what my marathon training plan will look like this summer! Now that I’m not training I do some sort of speed once per week, but that winds up changing to tues/thurs when training. I also seem to be doing well with yoga on a rest day as long as it’s not too strenuous. But I think for marathon training I will need that one total rest day, the long runs take a toll!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Low FODMAP Paleo Meal IdeasMy Profile

• Gretchen | Gretchruns June 16, 2015, 8:33 am

When I’m not training for a specific race, I’m definitely a lot more lax with my schedule. I try to run a few times a week and go to a class at the gym once or twice. I’m really strict with myself during a training cycle, so when I’m off I give myself more of a break and just do what feels good! Your schedule looks great and I should really try barre!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…What’s Better: Group Running or Running Solo?My Profile

• Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl June 16, 2015, 9:02 am

The best routines always seem to happen very naturally, despite what we may otherwise plan. I’ve learned to adapt to what feels good (in the sense of comfort while still pushing yourself physically) rather than anyone else’s schedule.
    Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…Cookie Dough Oatmeal CakeMy Profile

• Suzy June 16, 2015, 9:12 am

Yeah, I used to be all about gobbling up mileage and then when life just got a leeeeetle too busy, I was forced to run less, but run harder and that’s actually when I began to notice the biggest improvements in my running. I’ve gone down a bit in quantity and up a bit in quality. Works for me!
    Suzy recently posted…Get Out the StupidMy Profile

• Jamie June 16, 2015, 9:22 am

I honestly like running longer distances more frequently when I’m not training. It allows me to run easier/slower and I still get the high from running higher milage. Although I do like structured plans because I need to take rest days, and without them scheduled in, I often won’t take them sometimes. I have two weeks until I start training for NYCM. Until then, I’m taking a major step back in my milage, roughly 60%, and hitting about 30ish miles a week.
    This morning was an easy 5 mile run, with a 15 minute circuit following, and hopefully a tempo run tonight with run club if the rain holds off! Fingers crossed 🙂 Have a fabulous Tuesday!!
    Jamie recently posted…Tried It Tuesday – New York City Training PlanMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 17, 2015, 10:03 am

I hope you got that run in last night somehow, it kept raining on and off out here!

• Jessie June 16, 2015, 11:25 am

I think it’s time I hop on this barre wagon. Although I don’t know of any classes out in town here, I imagine I can order DVDs online. Have you? If so, is there one you recommend over another? 🙂

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 17, 2015, 10:02 am

Yes, I have been working with Pure Barre DVD’s since last summer, after I took several classes in the studio! I definitely recommend it.

• Sarah @pickyrunner June 16, 2015, 11:28 am

I spent so many years following a very specific training plan that now I just run whenever i feel like it. but somehow I still end up with some pretty good structure. Mondays are long runs, tuesday and thursday are usually rest, wednesdays are NP/strength/medium length run, fridays are long hills, and sat/sun are biking. So I guess even though I say there’s no rhyme or reason, there kind of is ha
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Some weekends…My Profile

• Shannon June 16, 2015, 11:39 am

I really should start following some plan to start running. I walk a lot, but never throw any runs into the mix. I always think about it, but never actually do it. I am not a very good runner, which makes it harder to start!
    Shannon recently posted…Trail Mix Bird’s Nest CookiesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 17, 2015, 10:00 am

We all start somewhere! I shared how I started running in Sunday’s post. I hope you read it 🙂

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine June 16, 2015, 3:56 pm

I definitely like to have a similar structure to my routine, which is why I felt so thrown off over the past few weeks! I had been going to body pump on Wednesdays so that was automatically a no running day with strength and core work. Then I would run longer on Saturday and rest on Sunday. From there I would work out the rest of the week…usually do a harder run on Monday or Tuesday and add another rest or cross training day on Friday. It’s nice when you figure out a schedule that works well, and for me its always tough to change things up! But I do think every once in awhile its good to make some changes. When I look back on my training I definitely change things up every few months or so.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Molly Murphy Memorial 5k 2015My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 17, 2015, 10:00 am

I find it so funny how thrown off we get if we switch up our usual runs, especially long runs, for another day, even if it’s only a day later! I really hate when I switch my long run day!

• Niki @ Life With Nikii June 16, 2015, 6:59 pm

I have never been much of a distance runner, but after seeing so many people post about their love for running, I have been getting this crazy itch to try it out. Your schedule seems well balanced with your mix of workouts, do you go to a barre class or do it at home?
    Niki @ Life With Nikii recently posted…How I Skipped High School And How It Impacted My LifeMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 17, 2015, 9:55 am

I took the Pure Barre studio classes for a while and then ordered four of the DVD’s back in August and have been working with them ever since. I do take the studio classes from time to time too. Love it!

• Heather June 17, 2015, 11:24 pm

Which of the dvd’s would be your favorite and or most challenging? I think I want to order one:)

Thank you!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 18, 2015, 8:28 am

I have done a few posts on Pure Barre and the DVD’s but to answer this quickly, I like the Studio Series and the Mile High Series. Mile High is 35 and totally worth it. Studio is 45 minutes, I like it for sure but if i said to order one to start, go with Mile High. I do recommend taking a studio class first though so you know what’s going on. Let me know if you any questions!