Carlo’s Bakery & Weekend Stuff

I love summer weekends because more time outdoors means less time indoors which means less opportunity to open my laptop.

IMG_1875

Summer weekends also mean I am completely behind on blog reading, post development and just about everything else related to workweek stuff.

Normally I try to get a jump start on the week, organize myself and my post ideas sort of like food prep but, um, yeah. That didn’t happen this weekend.

What did happen though is that I got the Panera people to make me the Power Hummus Bowl (without chicken plus avocado) even though they removed it from the menu.

Power Hummus Bowl

As I put my running fuel in my pocket at 5:30 am Saturday morning, I giggled to myself because to the average person, this fuel looks more like an afternoon candy break.

candy

The best part of finishing a long run, especially Saturday’s really hot and sweaty long run, is coming home to your favorite breakfast in a jar.

oats in a jar

I am telling you, in those tough running moments, thinking about this breakfast and how amazing it tastes after completing a run, is enough to get me through the miles.

The other day I told you that I tried the Dunkin Donuts Chips Ahoy iced coffee. Since then I have tried the Oreo iced coffee two times and really like it.

oreo iced coffee

Granted I have them add less pumps of the Oreo flavor to avoid a too sweet for me taste but if you ask my opinion, it’s really good and better than the Chips Ahoy which is not what I would have expected. I discussed it with the employees too and they agreed – Oreo is the customer favorite.

On the topic of cookies…

Do you know Carlo’s Bakery? Do you watch his show?

Carlos Bakery

He opened a Carlo’s Bakery location near me and I finally checked it out.

Carlos Bakery

I love watching bakeries in action, especially when they are frosting the cakes 🙂

It’s a really nice store with lots of bakery goodies AND chocolate covered strawberries.

chocolate strawberries

I stopped in on Saturday, a few hours after my long run, saw the berries and went for it. I didn’t want a cupcake or a cookie, the fresh berries just seemed more appealing to me and my post-run appetite.

chocolate strawberries

It was quite delicious mainly because it was covered in a good amount of quality dark chocolate.

Saturday was also the last day of my son’s Little League season. Part of me will miss the chain-link fence view of the field over the summer but the fall baseball season will be here before I know it.

little league

You know you are having a good day, by the way, when your phone case, hair tie on your wrist and lip stick all match perfectly.

pink selfie

I was at Whole Foods at some point and loaded up a box of special stuff from the food bar but don’t ask me what because I haven’t the slightest idea.

Whole Foods food bar

Can we talk about tofu though quickly? Do you eat it regularly? Do you cook it regularly?

I actually enjoyed it twice over the weekend (possibly in the food bar box too, who knows) but wonder sometimes about the whole soy <-> estrogen issue.

Do you watch your tofu intake because of it? Do you eat tempeh instead?

Please let me know your thoughts and have a great Monday 🙂

Carlo's Bakery & Weekend Stuff #Carlosbakery #wholefoods #dunkindonuts #tofu #weekend Click To Tweet

**********

Talk to me about tofu. Please.

Did you enjoy your weekend and avoid your computer which means you are Monday morning disorganized mess today?

How do you take your coffee?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine June 15, 2015, 6:11 am

I have never had tofu, so I am no help with that!
    I was actually on my computer more this weekend that past weekends, just because of not traveling. After being outside all of Sunday morning and attempting to go to the pool I just needed to lay on the couch in the AC for a bit so got caught up with some things then. I definitely like being away from my computer for the weekend but then on Monday morning I feel so overwhelmed!
    I drink my coffee black and I am very sad this morning because we are out of k cups. (We order on amazon and they were delivered to Robs office but he forgot to bring them home.) I will stop for coffee on my way to work but I have already been up for over an hour and already struggling.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Weekend Things and Weekly RecapMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 15, 2015, 3:53 pm

Okay so that’s just awful. You need to make friends with your neighbor so you can show up for a cup of coffee at 5 am when you get up because going without coffee till you leave the house is just not ok!

• Tina Muir June 15, 2015, 6:18 am

Do I know Carlos bakery?! I dont need to answer that question, you KNOW! And actually when I just typed the word bakery, my caps lock came on,……I think thats a sign that it is meant to be in caps, meant to be shouted about! I LOVED it when we went there, and I was amazed steve stood in line for 45 mins for it. So worth it!!! Looks like you had a wonderful weekend, isn’t it funny how we dream of refreshing things during our runs! I definitely do!
    Tina Muir recently posted…Meatless Monday- Italian Summer Vegetable SaladMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 15, 2015, 3:53 pm

I am glad I didn’t have to wait on line for this Carlo’s Bakery location – I hate waiting for dessert!

• Susie @ SuzLyfe June 15, 2015, 7:27 am

I eat tofu and don’t worry about the soy intake issue. As long as you are shoving soy into your face throughout the day, you should be fine. It’s like how they connected Sweet N Lo to cancer in rats–well, they were giving them an obscene amount, so duh.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Ragnar Chicago Relay Weekend Recap! #mimmMy Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma June 15, 2015, 8:01 am

Yes, with plans on the weekends or being outside I’m behind on blogging exactly when I need to be getting ready for our trip Friday. Love all the pink in that picture! And my son happened to see your gummy bear/jelly bean picture and is not screaming that he wants! Also, he wants to swim in that pool, looks like you have a new fan 😉
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Workouts, Heat, and Recipe HeartbreakMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 15, 2015, 3:51 pm

Ha, how cute. Don’t you love when they glare at our computer screens and see what we are reading?

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 15, 2015, 8:03 am

Ditto on hardly getting anything done this weekend! I had all these grand notions to get ahead for the week, but only managed to do about 25% of what I was hoping to do. Womp, womp. And I’ll eat tofu every now and again and don’t worry about the soy thing too much. I just try not to go overboard and stick to organic or non-GMO.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. cinnamon sugar banana coffee cake .My Profile

• Lesq June 15, 2015, 8:19 am

Growing up we ate some tofu and I had eaten it weekly as an adult until I became ill from my diet and the dr told me to stay clear of soy. He is a holistic MD, but a heart surgeon and trained also in oncology. we abuse soy in this country. It has been put in everything especially the soy protein isolate which they claim is very damaging. I haven’t eaten it in several years since I have been healing my body. Food choices are so personal. All we can do is research, ask and then make decisions on what we believe through the info we gather. Just becareful, you are a young woman and I learned first hand how damaging food can be–under thinking it and OVERTHINKING it. Have a great week.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 15, 2015, 3:49 pm

Totally agree with you. I do avoid soy now for the most part but was curious on the tofu thing. I think I will still eat it when out and it’s an option but maybe not cook it at home.

• Suzy June 15, 2015, 9:00 am

I’m not vehemently against tofu for its nutritional components…more so for its texture. I don’t like mushrooms and shrimp for the same reason. I hate that squeaky feeling I get when I bite into any of those things. Eeeps. As a treat I will ask for two pumps (the word pumps always makes me giggle) of white chocolate mocha syrup in my Americano at Starbucks. Then I’ll add some cream. Perfecto!
    Suzy recently posted…Mileage MondayMy Profile

• Jamie June 15, 2015, 9:08 am

I’ve always wanted to go to Carlo’s! I love Cake Boss and want to try their cakes and cookies so bad! Very jealous of your weekend excursion. I’m not a big tofu eater, much prefer tempeh, but will eat either if prepared well. I just can’t cook it myself. I always ignore technology on the weekends so I feel a little behind on Mondays on the blogging/email/work front. But going without the computer and social media for the most part helps me really relax on the weekends. I’m not a coffee drinker at all. I’ll have some tea from starbucks, but I don’t really enjoy coffee. If I do need a little caffeine boost, I’m more likely to grab an espresso.
    Jamie recently posted…Guess Who’s Back, Back Again..My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 15, 2015, 3:48 pm

I agree – it’s really nice to unplug on the weekends. I will be doing it more often.

• Lauren June 15, 2015, 10:07 am

I drink my coffee black a lot but every once in a while still love a sugary flavored coffee from Dunkin. I went to the Carlos bakery in Hoboken (the originial) a few years ago and grabbed a bunch of pastries and cookies. Everything was yummy! I’m sad that Panera removed that bowl-I really liked that one!

• Niki @ Life With Niki June 15, 2015, 12:21 pm

I totally used my delicious post-workout meals as motivation to be awesome and finish my workout, the sooner I get to eat, the more motivated I become ;). Totally jealous of your chocolate covered strawberries, everything in the bakery looked drool worthy, but chocolate is definitely my weakness.
    I do not usually eat tofu, however Whole foods has this teriyaki tofu in the salad bar which I occasionally enjoy. Plain tofu is a big no no, there has to be something to give it some flavor!
    Niki @ Life With Niki recently posted…How ‘Skinny’ Almost Killed Me | My Story and RecoveryMy Profile

• Arman @ thebigmansworld June 15, 2015, 1:44 pm

LOL. Not even kidding you- I messaged this to my dietician friend-

“I ate tofu at whole foods and off the grill and can’t get enough…Will i grow boobs now?”
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Man Sass Mondays #14- Grill my Mac and CheeseMy Profile

• Sarah @pickyrunner June 15, 2015, 2:58 pm

Okay so Carlos Bakery is my DREAM. Cake Boss was my favorite shows for years growing up and all I wanted before I went to college was to stop on the way, but the line was like 10 blocks long. One day I’ll make it there…
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Some weekends…My Profile

• Shannon June 15, 2015, 3:42 pm

I just recently started liking tofu again. I love it coated and baked to resemble chicken fingers. YUM!! I don’t think eating soy in moderation is a problem. It only becomes a problem if you eat an abundance of it. Like everything else, in moderation it is perfectly healthy.
    Shannon recently posted…Trail Mix Bird’s Nest CookiesMy Profile

• Sam @ Grapefruit & Granola June 15, 2015, 3:57 pm

I have been wanting to try the Dunkin’ Donuts flavors but haven’t had a chance. I wonder how sweet they are if you get all of the pumps. I don’t buy coffee out too much so when I do, I’m OK with going all out 🙂

• Lizzie June 17, 2015, 7:41 pm

Love your blog! Any tips on waking up so early to run? I am a recent college grad and I start my full time job 9-5 on Monday, and I am NOT used to running earlier than 9/10am! THANKS!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 18, 2015, 10:39 am

You can totally get motivated to be an earlier morning runner if you need to be! That’s how i see it – if you want it bad enough, you will do it. I wrote a post last year about becoming a morning runner. Click here to read it because I definitely offered some tips! It will be an adjustmeny for a little bit but you will totally get used to it and probably like having it out of the way!