Friday Favorites

I haven’t done a favorites post on a Friday in gosh, I don’t even know how long, but I have some good things to share with you so let’s get to it!

Friday Favorites

Tuesday’s 8 Mile Run:

I wanted to talk about Tuesday’s run in advance of Sunday’s workout recap post because it was one of my favorites this week and we need to discuss why in detail.

splits

My plan was to follow my new favorite running workout which meant two sets of negative splits. If you take a look at the splits above, you will see that I didn’t go negative as planned at mile 3.

I felt as though I did but I actually missed it by a few seconds. This just goes to show you that this workout is challenging and you will not always achieve what you are looking for even when you are working for it!

What made this run a favorite for me was the second set of negative splits. After the recovery mile at mile 4, I was a little in shock that I dropped from a 9:02 mile down to 8:05.

While it may sound great like– oh wow look how fast I got in that mile, go me! — it made things a little more challenging because hitting 8:05 so quickly meant I still had to go faster and then faster again.

I was nervous because I wasn’t sure I could sustain that pace and exceed it twice but take a look!  I did it!

It was a great run and great feeling to know I was able to push myself faster than I thought I was capable of at the time.

I really hope you try this workout if you haven’t already. I do love it!

Peanut Butter:

So the weirdest thing happened. Remember when I won the Peanut Butter & Co. giveaway on instagram? They sent me my favorite jar of Mighty Maple peanut butter as my prize.

peanut butter

But it’s suddenly not my favorite! I don’t know what happened?!

Wait. Yes I do. You see, when I ran out of Mighty Maple a while back, I didn’t replace it.

I started eating more of the Trader Joe’s Flax & Chia Seeds Peanut Butter which has now become my favorite.

Trader Joe's Peanut Butter

My tastebuds have so adjusted to the taste of this Trader Joe’s peanut butter and lack of added sugar that the Mighty Maple just doesn’t taste right to me.

I almost thought there was something wrong with it until I realized, I am just not used to the sweetness. Funny how that happens.

Hair Ties:

When I had my hair cut and highlighted last week, my stylist told me to make sure I am avoiding all hair bands and ties that may break the hair.

She also told me to avoid pony tails at which point I informed her I am a runner with long hair which makes that absolutely impossible.

scunchie hair bands

I picked up this pack of Scunci hair bands because they looked cute and claimed to be comfortable without inflicting damage to the hair.

I love them! They hold the pony tail real tight without slowly falling out like some bands tend to do. I am able to wear them while I run and can even keep one on my wrist without leaving a mark.

The hair ties I had been using were the “ouchless” kind but I needed some new ones because I am forever losing my collection, not to mention, some held the hair better than others.

Remember when we wore the big scunci’s back in the day (as in, the 90’s)? Those were so fun!

Speaking of fun, it’s time for the weekend! Have a great one 🙂

Friday Favorites! #running #peanutbutter #traderjoes #scunci #happyfriday Click To Tweet

*******************

Favorite nut butter at the moment?

How do you wear your hair when you run?

One thing you are excited for this weekend?

• Suzy June 12, 2015, 6:21 am

Huhm… I should try those elastics. My hair is hahUUUUUGE and it takes several of those ouchless elastics to keep it in a ponytail, and even more so when I’m running. Fave nut butter is cashew all day every day. HAPPY WEEKEND! I get a few hours to myself every Friday and yes, I usually spend it running. SERENITY NOW!
    Suzy recently posted…Blended Family Friday: Same Ice Cream, Different ContainerMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 12, 2015, 10:07 am

I bet these hair ties would work for you. Let me know if you try them. Enjoy your quiet time to yourself!

• Susie @ Suzlyfe June 12, 2015, 7:30 am

Ragnar is this weekend, and I have a feeling that my hair is going to do serious time in a bun (it’s raining). Otherwise, I’m a ponytail girl. I did go through a braiding phase though.
    Susie @ Suzlyfe recently posted…Healthy Candy Bars? YummyHealth Review and GiveaweayMy Profile

• Jamie June 12, 2015, 8:16 am

Currently living for almond butter with espresso and vanilla . I can’t get enough! My hair is an absolute nightmare when I run so I usually have two elastics and a headband to keep the fly-aways out of my face! I’m excited to go into the city this weekend and grab brunch for a friends birthday!!
    Jamie recently posted…Friday Favorites – I’m So FunMy Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma June 12, 2015, 8:17 am

Love that the second half of your workout was faster, even after “missing” the one split. I just got my hair cut yesterday and might have to try those bands because I want to be more careful since I tend to have a lot of breakage, probably from the crazy tight ponytails I wear for running. I make them way too tight but I hate having to redo in the middle of the run!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 12, 2015, 10:06 am

I definitely recommend these hair ties. They really hold the hair and I don’t have to stop to adjust my ponytail while I am running at all.

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine June 12, 2015, 8:28 am

I would love to try out those hair ties! I know that the ones I use are probably terrible for my hair.
    You have me craving peanut butter now!
    Have a great weekend:)
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…5 Favorite Summer ActivitiesMy Profile

• Gretchen | Gretchruns June 12, 2015, 9:28 am

I love that nut butter too!!! I picked it up on a whim from Trader Joes and now I’m obsessed. I love how wide the jar is too, so I don’t get it all over my hand when I’m getting the last bit out!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles June 12, 2015, 10:05 am

I love how wide it is too, especially when I make oats in a jar. So much easier!

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. June 12, 2015, 9:45 am

I feel like my favourite nut butter is constantly changing as well. Right now it’s probably Justin’s maple almond butter, but if I’m not looking for a flavoured one then I really love Maisie Jane’s roasted AB. And then I’ll randomly go through phases where I prefer other butters, like coconut or soy nut. Just depends on the flavour of the month 😉
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. 14 healthy smoothies guaranteed to satisfy your sweet tooth .My Profile

• Niki @lifewithniki June 12, 2015, 10:29 am

Favorite nut butter would have to the raw Artisana cashew butter, too creamy and delicious (and expensive!!!). But honestly anything from trader joes is amazing too. I really want to try those hair ties, my hair manages to break all the hair ties. All of them. Where can I purchase those?
    Niki @lifewithniki recently posted…My First Ever Thinking Out Loud!My Profile

• Shannon June 12, 2015, 12:12 pm

I love that TJ’s nut butter. I am always looking for new nut butters to try. I want to start trying out varieties that include other nuts too!
    Shannon recently posted…Europe Trip RecapMy Profile

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl June 12, 2015, 12:53 pm

Those hair ties are super cute and so much more fun than my boring brown ones. I’ll have to be on the lookout for them!
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…Three Cooks One Kitchen: Veggie FrittataMy Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets June 12, 2015, 1:14 pm

I’m pretty sure I could eat all peanut butter. It’s my favorite.

Happy Friday. Enjoy the weekend.