Thinking Out Loud – May 21, 2015

I am so glad that english muffins with peanut butter have made an almost daily return to my diet because I just love them.

english muffin with peanut butter

This combination was once my standard breakfast of choice for a good seven years straight with maybe a 1% failure rate every 365 days during that time period.

I forgot that I owned a cast-iron skillet. How does that happen? Like, one week I am not even putting it back in the cabinet because I am using it every single day and then suddenly, I put it away, forget all of the meals I was making it with it and never use it again.

Every time I change my sheets, I struggle to get them on the bed the right way. I am totally clueless as to which way to position them around the mattress and get it wrong the first time I try every single time. You would think that by now I would figure it out but alas, each week, it’s a battle.

Trader Joe’s stopped carrying my favorite onion rings in the frozen section months ago. I have less than one bag left in my freezer and refuse to eat them because I don’t want to run out of them but not eating them isn’t doing a thing for me either.

I broke out my jean jacket last week and I feel super cool wearing it. No one needs to know that it’s from the year 2000.

I clean out my closets on a routine basis but always hold on to certain things, even if I haven’t worn then in years, knowing, just knowing, they will come back in style.

I long for the day when my chunky Gucci loafers, circa 1999, are in style again. The three pairs in my closet, positioned next to the ugliest Prada boots on the planet (what was I thinking in 2001??) are certain their time will come once again.

Yet at the same time, I have a few handbags I want to sell. I still love them, they are classic and definitely trending but they remind me too much of the time period of my marriage.

Funny how I feel that the clothes and shoes can stick around but my purses, sort of like my jewelry, need to be refreshed.

When I stopped wearing my wedding rings after my divorce, a part of me stopped wanting to wear the rest of my jewelry too. It was a subconscious thing I think; I never take my earrings out, I always have a necklace on but bracelets? Other rings? An afterthought. I just don’t care like I did.

Or maybe it’s something else…I think that when I want to wear some of my favorite pieces, I realize they really aren’t my favorite anymore because they are tied to old memories which I am not interested in wearing around my wrist.

Those oatmeal raisin chocolate chip protein cookies that I mentioned in yesterday’s post? We finished them so quick that my son asked me to make another batch last night, right after I finished cleaning the kitchen and right before I was  putting on my pajamas and calling it a night.

oatmeal raisin chocolate chip protein cookies

But he told me they were the best cookies I have ever made (aside from my original chocolate chip cookies) so how could I say no to that?

Recipe coming soon!

Be sure to check out what everyone else is thinking about today!

What I'm thinking about today #englishmuffins #peanutbutter #cookies #jewelry #divorce #gucci Click To Tweet

Have you ever eaten the EXACT SAME breakfast every day for a long time period?

How often do you clean out your closets? Do you hold on to certain things because you can’t part with them?

Am I the only one who can’t get the sheets on a king-sized bed in the right direction?

1. says

I’m pretty sure I ate oats for breakfast for a good 3 years straight… and before that I went through a waffle, muffin, bar, and cereal phase… I Just don’t like to think too much first thing in the morning, so my brain goes on autopilot and I end up eating the same thing. And yes to sheets being a pain in the ass… I have to be really careful not to break a nail when putting on the fitted one.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. thinking out loud #131 .My Profile

2. says

Getting my sheets on usually takes two tries 🙂 I do have a few really ugly things in my closet that I just can’t get rid of, then again sometimes a year or two passes and I wonder why I’ve been keeping it. Happens with shoes, I have too many and most I don’t wear.
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Money Logic and Games – TOLMy Profile

3. says

Lately I have been eating the same exact thing for breakfast every single day (except the weekends when I have more time). I try to clean out my closet a few times a year and it is kinda hard to part with certain items. I am terrible at putting sheets on the bed! We only have a full sized bed but its so hard to tell which end of the sheet should be on top. However, putting my duvet cover back on is the worst. I avoid washing it just because its such a nightmare to get it back on.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…“Late Night” Thinking Out LoudMy Profile

• says

I am the same way with the duvet! And every time I take it off the bed, I can’t position it correctly without flipping it a bunch of times to get it in the right direction which makes no sense because I take it off so carefully as to not mess up the direction lol

4. says

I am a creature of habit so I eat the same breakfast almost every day. And somehow it just doesn’t get old. Go with what you know I guess! I’m the same way with jewelry – I just have some staple pieces and really don’t wear anything else. More of a simple kind of girl when it comes to that! Hope you have a great Thursday!
    Jamie recently posted…Thinking Out Loud Thursday – Little Bit of EverythingMy Profile

5. says

I clean out my closet all the time too but always end up getting rid of something that I later wish I kept! I wish I kept my old jean jackets since now they are in style…however I think I was like a child when I last wore one so I probably need an adult size one now anyways haha. I used to do the same when putting sheets on my bed but I found a little tag that always goes on a certain corner and now I use that as my guide. So frustrating when there is no way to tell!

6. says

You just reminded me I need to change my sheets. You ALSO just reminded me I need to do a closet cleanout. I’m so bad about giving clothes away because I’m like ‘but I MIGHT want to wear that someday…” Clearly I never will.

• says

I try really hard to let things go that I haven’t worn but I do hold on to some stuff thinking I will wear it some day. If I don’t, I try to get rid of it during the next closet clean out.

7. says

I typically eat the same breakfast. It might change depending on how much time I have to prepare it, but I only ever eat like 3 different variations of breakfast! Creatures of habit I guess.
    Shannon recently posted…PB & J SmoothieMy Profile

8. says

I’m guilty of a breakfast routine too. During the week, it’s smoothies, although the fruit and greens may change, followed by granola with some plain Greek yogurt. Weekends are all about the eggs though with a side of pancakes thrown in for a good measure.

I can never get the sheets on right the first time. I don’t know why either. The odds are against us.