what I’m thinking about today

Thinking-Out-Loud

I have been out of whole wheat flour for over a month now. It’s not that I forget to pick it up when I am at the store because I remember every time. It’s more that I don’t pick it up because picking it up means I not only have to lift it, pay for it, carry it into the house and then put it away in the cabinet, I have to deal with that entire process getting flour on me and every surface the bag touches.

You know I am right. Those flour bags always have flour dust and I am just not in the mood.

I am also out of chia seeds. I see them in the grocery store and remember I am out of chia seeds but don’t buy them simply because I don’t feel like it. Explain it? I can’t.

Also on the grocery store topic, I need a coupon organizer. Not a big bulky file folder and not some sort of crazy coupon binder like you see on Extreme Couponing, just something small to keep my clippings in one place.

And if I ever find the right coupon holder, I need to remember to bring it with me to the stores instead of leaving it home because leaving my coupons home, which is what normally happens, never helps me when I am trying to save money.

I said this to my friend the other day and we liked it so much I made it a pretty pinnable quote:

really don't think about it quote

I went to the gym yesterday to use the elliptical machine according to  my cross-training plan even though it was gorgeous outside and I wanted to run.

My triceps have been noticeably sore this week and I think it has everything to do with playing basketball with my son on Mother’s Day. I told him my arms were sore and he said it’s because I don’t know how to properly shoot a basketball.

Speaking of my son, I am trying real hard to let him be his own person even if that means his own person is not a morning, organized, do your homework immediately type of person.

I can’t relate or understand how he is mine with his style of daily functioning but part of me keeps hoping that through trial and error, he will learn to see the organized light.

We had a little situation here the other morning where I found myself TYPING UP his assignment TEN MINUTES BEFORE he was to leave for school.

Why does he wait until the last minute to do everything when I am the complete opposite and have things done as soon as they are assigned?

Why were his sentences not showing a genuine effort? Why was my computer crashing over and over making it virtually impossible to get the assignment completed before the bus was picking him up? Why the heck was I helping at all?

I flipped my lid (do people still say flipped my lid?) so above and beyond my normal motherly flipping and I think this time my extreme parental ranting and raving had an effect because I received the following text from my son while he was on the bus to school…

text

1. Welcome to my world.

2. You cannot make this stuff up.

3. I received the text while I was running and was so taken by his phrasing that I almost stopped running to forward the message to everyone I know which is a big deal because it takes a lot to get me to stop mid-run.

4. Why can’t he string words together like that in his school assignments?

5. Of course he threw in asking to go to The Cheesecake Factory because he knew he had me right where he wanted me.

What I'm Thinking About Today #thinkingoutloud #motherhood #coupons #quotes @runningwithspoons Click To Tweet

Be sure to check out what everyone else is thinking about today!

***************

If you clip coupons, where do you put them?

What groceries do you know you need yet skip in the store for no good reason?

What’s on the workout agenda for today? I will be running outside this morning 🙂

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma May 14, 2015, 5:47 am

That’s the best text message! I really hope I’m not doing anyone’s homework in a few years right before school. They’re out of luck because I can barely get their hair brushed at this point!

I’m the same way with heavy things at the grocery store, I’m never in the mood to buy heavy things!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…My Running Break, Sleep, and Skepticism for TOLMy Profile

• Erin@BeetsPerMinute May 14, 2015, 6:26 am

That text is so cute. I don’t have kids yet, but I know that my friends that have kids say a lot of the same about how their little ones can be so opposite of them with organization, priorities, etc. I’m sure it’s frustrating, but it builds their character I’m sure! 🙂
    Erin@BeetsPerMinute recently posted…Raise The Bar #TOLMy Profile

• Danielle @ Little Mama Big Life May 14, 2015, 6:47 am

I am totally the same with coupons! I keep an organizer in my car, but do you think I’d ever remember to bring them into the store? Nope! And I hate buying flour for the same reason, such a mess!!
    Danielle @ Little Mama Big Life recently posted…Dealing with Breast Milk Oversupply: When Too Much of a Good Thing is a ProblemMy Profile

• Susie @ SuzLyfe May 14, 2015, 7:01 am

Bribery will get you everywhere, eh? Sometimes, we need to learn a lesson (like not getting the good grade, or whatever) to kick us into gear.
    But at least Cheesecake will be there to picks us and our hurt egos back up off the floor!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Proud of this House (Blogging Integrity)My Profile

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine May 14, 2015, 8:12 am

Ha! That text is great! Did you get to go to cheesecake?:)
    I do not understand how there is always so much flour outside of the bag. The worst is actually tapioca flour for some reason- as soon as you open the bag its like it just floats all over the kitchen!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Thursdays Really Are For Thinking Out LoudMy Profile

• Meghan May 14, 2015, 9:12 am

Your son’s text is hilarious! Too funny. Also, you are so right about the flour dust…it’s the snow that never stops in the kitchen.
    Meghan recently posted…The Best Ever Strawberry Cupcakes (that happen to be dairy-free)My Profile

• Jamie May 14, 2015, 10:19 am

I went to SoulCycle this morning but with the beautiful weather we’re having.. I really might have to go on a short run this evening : ) And I need to get a lot better about writing down what I need at the grocery store instead of just wandering, buying nothing that I need and everything I don’t!
    Jamie recently posted…Running: When is Too Much, Too Much? Thinking Out Loud Thursday 3My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 15, 2015, 10:57 am

It was just so so gorgeous yesterday morning! I really do need to take a SoulCycle class already…

• Gretchen | Gretchruns May 14, 2015, 10:34 am

Tonight I have a short run and a barbell fitness class at the gym! And that text from your son is so funny…but now I really want cheesecake factory!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…3 Days in CopenhagenMy Profile

• Sarah @pickyrunner May 14, 2015, 10:55 am

He’s a smart kiddo!!! I’m really impressed by his vocabulary… and his way to win your love with Cheesecake factory haha it always kills me to skip running when the weather is perfect, but I try to keep things into perspective that I need a break once in awhile even if it means missing out on prime running weather. It will make the next one feel even better!
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…TOL: All the RunningMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 15, 2015, 10:56 am

He impressed me too, I just wish he would write like that for school! lol

• Suzy May 14, 2015, 12:02 pm

Okay, I seriously love your kid. Brilliant. And the Cheesecake bit is EXACTLY what my boys would do, too. Smart asses! Gotta love ’em.
    Suzy recently posted…Dear Brain, From WalmartMy Profile

• Sara @ Lake Shore Runner May 14, 2015, 1:19 pm

Oh my gosh that text got me! ha

• Arman @ thebigmansworld May 14, 2015, 1:51 pm

You and your son have an amazing relationship- #mummyboysforever

Enjoy the Cheesecake factory- We know it’s happening now 😉
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Vegan Recipes to Impress a Carnivore Part 2My Profile

• Shannon May 14, 2015, 3:31 pm

I went to a Body Pump class this morning! I love that class. I clip coupons, and stick them in a drawer in my kitchen and then go through them after making a grocery list, so I know which ones I will need to bring with me.
    Shannon recently posted…DIY Succulent Wall PlanterMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 15, 2015, 10:55 am

Sometimes I put the coupons in the kitchen drawer but then sometimes I forget them. I try to keep them in my car but even then, I forget them!

• Emily May 14, 2015, 8:59 pm

Aww. That is a really sweet text. 🙂

I went for a run today. It was glorious and sunny and the perfect temperature. The sun was out. I could see the green grass. Sigh… It was lovely.

I often buy yogurt or um… ice-cream if I don’t have a list. 😀
    Emily recently posted…Thursdays are for Thinking and MEETING!My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 15, 2015, 10:54 am

The weather was just perfect for a run by me too! Best run I have had in a while.

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets May 18, 2015, 2:35 pm

The text from your son is the best. Very clever indeed.

I wonder if there’s a way to keep the coupons on your phone, or in a little pocket on the back of your phone so you’ll always have them on you. Ya know, because we don’t go anywhere now without our phones.

Next post: