mother’s day/workout recap

Happy Mother’s Day!

You may recall that my son and I have a very special Mother’s Day breakfast tradition…

breakfast at the diner

Mother’s Day breakfast 2014 at The Premiere Diner.

Four years ago, we decided to make waking up super early and heading out for a special breakfast our “thing” on Mother’s Day morning.

We get crazy excited about this tradition of ours to the point where we try not to go out for breakfast the rest of the year just to keep this morning extra special.

Normally we go to the Premiere Diner but instead of the diner today, we decided upon Maureen’s Kitchen, which is the same place we went after his elementary school graduation.

Both the diner and Maureen’s Kitchen serve baked oatmeal so I am happy with either place but sometimes, just sometimes, I consider ordering something different. 🙂

I will be sure to share all of the fun food details with you tomorrow!

In the meantime, let’s check out my workouts from the week.

weekly workout recap

After last Sunday’s Half Marathon, all of my runs this week were easy in order to help my body recover.

I was a little sore, nothing terrible, but returning to “normal running” takes time after a race.

Even though I kept things easy, it was really cool actually to watch my easy pace get quicker and quicker each morning, all on its own, without any sort of pushing from me.

When you think about it, it’s pretty amazing to know your body is recovering, just by monitoring your pace.

*Monday*

Pure Barre Mile High DVD – I went with the Mile High series because it is shorter in length than the Studio Series (only 35 minutes). It was perfect and just what I needed the morning after the half marathon.

Pure Barre

*Tuesday*

5 Super Easy Miles in the morning & Kickboxing at night – 11:00 min/miles never felt so good!

Recovery runs after a race are awesome because they really loosen things up and leave you feeling better than when you began.

splits

We will discuss the kickboxing class in more detail on Tuesday but I loved it even though I took the class in the evening.

I normally start twitching if I have to run beyond 9:00 am let alone work out in the evening but you know what, I enjoyed it and the time didn’t bother me!

*Wednesday*

Pure Barre Mile High DVD & 3 Miles – I went with Mile High again because I was short on time followed up with 3 easy miles.

shadow

Average pace @ 10:47

*Thursday*

7 Easy Miles & Yoga  – I felt so happy during this run. It was still slow (average pace @ 10:15) yet slowly improving and just felt SO GOOD!

I followed up my run with the online Yoga For Hips, Hamstrings and Back video recommended by Michele. I really like this sequence because it is not a flow (which tends to make me dizzy) and instead just feels like a nice way to stretch everything out.

*Friday*

Pure Barre Studio Series & 5 Miles – Pure Barre has felt especially amazing this week. Maybe for the stretching aspect? Who knows but I will take it 🙂

5 Miles @ 9:30 pace <– do you see we are almost at normal?! I have loved watching this happen a little each day!

*Saturday*

10 Miles – I felt completely myself today as soon as I started running which was confirmed by my pace for the first mile (9:04).

I kept things easy though and finished with an average pace @ 9:18.

*Sunday*

Pure Barre DVD (not sure which one yet!)

Mother's Day plus workout recap #mothersday #breakfast #tradition #running #purebarre Click To Tweet

********

Do you have a Mother’s Day tradition?

Favorite breakfast spot? What do you order?

Try any new workouts this week?

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine May 10, 2015, 7:10 am

Happy Mother’s Day! I hope you enjoy your breakfast. I finally found my Pure Barre DVDs in a box in the basement, but now I just need to get our DVD player set up. The only new workout Ive been doing lately is the “Iron Strength” workout from Jordon Metzl’s book- I find it pretty tough and all the burpees at the end leave me totally exhausted!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Meal Planning And Prep: Go-To Meals And RecipesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 11, 2015, 10:48 am

I saw the Pure Barre has a DVD collection out and if you order it, they give you access to the online versions which is something new for them and maybe would be better for you until you find the DVD player lol.

• Danielle @ Little Mama Big Life May 10, 2015, 7:54 am

Happy Mother’s Day!! Hope you enjoy your breakfast. That sounds like such a sweet tradition! I’ve been wanting to give barre a try. Did you just start with DVDs or do you ever go to a studio?
    Danielle @ Little Mama Big Life recently posted…Last Minute Make-Ahead Mother’s Day Brunch IdeasMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 11, 2015, 10:48 am

I absolutely started with the classes in the Pure Barre Studio and then bought the DVD’s to do it from home to save money and fit it in more often to my weekly routine. I wrote a bunch of posts on Pure Barre, in addition to the usual weekly workout recaps which you can find in the “running” section in the menu bar at the top of my site’s page. Please let me know if you have any questions at all about barre! I really love it and have been doing it regularly for almost a year now!

• Sara @ Lake Shore Runn May 10, 2015, 9:10 am

Glad to see from Instagram you went with the baked oatmeal 🙂 Happy Mother’s Day!
    Sara @ Lake Shore Runn recently posted…Mom, Thank you for…. [Breakfast in Bed with Link Love #18]My Profile

• Lora @ Crazy Running Girl May 10, 2015, 5:48 pm

Aw what an awesome tradition! Have a wonderful Mother’s Day!
    Lora @ Crazy Running Girl recently posted…Trying a class at Orangetheory FitnessMy Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma May 10, 2015, 8:08 pm

I’ve been doing a lot of 30 minute yoga lately because I feel like I’m always running late for something and trying to fit it in. Not sure why I didn’t feel that way all winter? Looks like you snapped back quickly after the race 🙂
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Spicy Frittata with Beef Sausage and GreensMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 11, 2015, 10:46 am

It definitely took the week to get back to “normal” but I was able to run easy and felt better and better with each day that passed!

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets May 11, 2015, 6:17 am

Happy Mother’s Day!! I hope you had a wonderful day and maybe even went off menu and ordered something other than oatmeal.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 11, 2015, 10:37 am

Thank you :)….I just couldn’t NOT order the oatmeal. It’s baked oatmeal. It’s special. I couldn’t deviate!

• Happy (belated) mother’s day! I’ve always wanted to try Barre. Do you go to the classes or do the DVDs? I have a feeling those workouts will kick my butt. My favorite breakfast spot is Blueberry Hill and I always order the captain crunch french toast. Yum.
    Meghan @ getoffyoubuttandrun.blogspot.com recently posted…Motivation Monday 5/10My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 11, 2015, 9:59 am

I started with the Pure Barre classes in studio and then bought some of the DVDs. I love it!!!! I definitely recommend you start in studio and then try the workouts at home. I have written a few posts on Pure Barre and my experience in studio as well as doing the workouts from home. You can find those posts in the “Running” section listed in the menu bar at the top of my site’s page. Please let me know if you have any questions at all!