What I Ate Race Day

Sometimes people think that race day means big eating day. And sometimes that is the case.

But, there are plenty of race days that see a disappearance in appetite, a change in cravings or even, dare I say, just a regular boring day of food.

WHAT-I-ATE-WEDNESDAY-NEW-BUTTON-PEAS-AND-CRAYONS

Let’s take a look at what I ate on Sunday, the day of the Long Island Half Marathon…

Pre-Race Breakfast:

I had the usual bowl of oatmeal, no banana (I dont know, I didn’t feel like it) around 5:30 am.

The only thing I did a little different with my oatmeal was the addition of a bit more salt plus pure maple syrup.

oatmeal

I didn’t really feel like peanut butter but added a spoonful after taking the picture because I knew I needed it for staying power.

I did bring a banana with me to the race just in case I wanted something before we started but I wasn’t hungry.

I had a few jelly beans during the race but then, as I wrote in my recap, a few of the beans somehow got stuck in the lining of my pants pocket and I had no patience to search for them.

As soon as I finished running and guzzled crazy amounts of water, I got to my car and I dug into my watermelon which I always pack for after a race.

watermelon

Post-race Breakfast:

I call it breakfast but it was actually after 11:00 am which was more like an early lunch for me.

The usual oatmeal in a jar mixed with Skoop B-Strong, a little plain greek yogurt, lots of berries, salt and peanut butter.

oats in a jar

I actually had another round of this about an hour or two (maybe three?) later which I guess became lunch. I don’t even know. Race days get all sorts of screwed up for me sometimes in terms of meal time, appetite and cravings.

Watermelon happened all day long, that I do know.

watermelon

Dinner:

Around 4:30 pm, I was craving crazy salt. Normally I like to go out to eat after a race but this time, I decided to just make something at home real quick.

Two bowls of the saltiest stir fry I think I have ever made. I am surprised that I have any soy sauce remaining in the bottle.

stir fry

Dessert:

I thought about going out for my favorite chocolate fudge cake or even grabbing a Crumbs cupcake but I honestly didn’t really want it.

I always have the greatest of dessert intentions for after a race but so many times the race comes and goes, along with my decadent dessert appetite.

apples peanut butter chocolate chips

I am always up for a diced granny smith apple with peanut butter and chocolate chips though.

It’s funny to look at what I ate now because it really looked like any other day, if not less!

Perhaps I didn’t eat much because I had just been sick and was still getting back to normal or maybe the heat of the morning took away any form of extreme appetite or maybe it’s because my pace ended up not averaging much quicker than a routine long run.

Appetites are funny like that although I am not laughing at the moment because the hunger certainly kicked in at a really stead rate ever since Monday afternoon 🙂

Be sure to check out what everyone else is eating today!

What I Ate Race Day #wiaw #running #halfmarathon #eats Click To Tweet

***********

How is your appetite the day of a race?

What do you crave after running?

• Susie @ SuzLyfe May 6, 2015, 7:17 am

My “big” appetite usually hits the next day, and generally on race day, I am not allll that hungry. BUT. Once I start? It’s on.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…A Healthy Lunch (Fresha Place) + Healthy Indulgence (Daiya Cheezecake) ReviewsMy Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 6, 2015, 8:33 am

This happens to me when I go boarding all the time. I’m not that hungry the day of, but I definitely make up for it over the next couple of days — I literally can’t get enough food in me.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. WIAW… what you see vs. reality .My Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma May 6, 2015, 8:53 am

My appetite doesn’t usually come back full force until dinner after a race, and then the next day. Beforehand it’s always a banana, or two if the race is late!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…WIAW – Paleo Away From HomeMy Profile

• Gretchen | Gretchruns May 6, 2015, 9:23 am

It’s weird because I usually never have an appetite after a race or a normal run. My body almost always rejects any kinds of food, so I have to force myself to eat most of the time. Watermelon might do the trick though so I might have to try that for next time!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Wednesday Reviews : Biotin BurstsMy Profile

• Suzy May 6, 2015, 10:08 am

Frustrating about the jelly beans stuck in your pocket! Dammitall. I’m such a salty sweater that as soon as I’m done my race or super long run I have to drink that lipton yellow “chicken” noodle soup. If I don’t get salt into my body asap, I get really, really sick.
    Suzy recently posted…Woozy Wednesday: Mayo DayMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 6, 2015, 12:08 pm

I really should bring my pants into Lululemon to have them sew whatever hole is lurking in the seam.

• Jamie May 6, 2015, 10:32 am

I live for green apples and almond butter. Although adding chocolate chips is a brilliant idea! I usually have little to no appetite after a race, especially after a half or a full marathon. But the next day… I will be eating anything that is not nailed down. After a long, hard race I actually crave a big salad. I think it has something to do with my body craving water.
    Jamie recently posted…What I Ate WednesdayMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 6, 2015, 12:07 pm

Chocolate chips in addition to the nut butter and apple really brings it to another level!

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables May 6, 2015, 1:30 pm

You know what I had for breakfast this morning? A smoothie… in an almost empty PB&Co jar!!!! #Twins

• Sarah @pickyrunner May 6, 2015, 1:38 pm

My appetite on race day is always so strange. I never wake up hungry but I make myself eat a little something, then it takes me a few hours to get any appetite. The weird part is, like you, my sweet tooth goes out the window, which is really unfortunate since it’s my favorite form of treating myself. It comes back raging the next day so I usually make up for any missed foods then. I do always crave lots of savory food- like burgers and salty things. I guess it’s replenishing electrolytes? Who knows. The body is strange.
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Good to be BackMy Profile

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine May 6, 2015, 1:54 pm

My appetite on race day is always so strange. While I am running I will think about all the amazing things I will eat later, but then I usually don’t feel like eating much. Sometimes my appetite comes back later that night, and sometimes its the next day. Im sure that being sick affected your appetite too!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…A Look Back at April 2015My Profile

• Arman @ thebigmansworld May 6, 2015, 4:24 pm

okay. You’ve inspired me to have apples, peanut butter AND chocolate chips.

No idea why but I’m on such a salt kick lately too…I salted my bacon today!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Vegan Persian Rice SaladMy Profile

• Meghan @ getoffyourbuttandrun May 7, 2015, 7:27 am

I have a very small appetite after a race or a long run. Usually it’ll hit me either really late that day or the next day. After a really sweaty or hard run, I crave an apple and a coke. Strange.
    Meghan @ getoffyourbuttandrun recently posted…12 Signs You Should Run a MarathonMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 7, 2015, 2:25 pm

I love hearing other people’s cravings because we are all so unique with what we want!