Running Helps Me Think – Favorite Post Roundup

As you figured out from yesterday’s post, the half marathon on Sunday was just plain difficult. I kept attempting to zone out as I normally do during my daily runs to remove myself from my discomfort but no matter how I tried, I just couldn’t do it.

Running, in general though, is great for spacing out and letting your mind wander, don’t you think?

I have sorted through so many things while running loops around my neighborhood which not only helped to clear my head but also helped me to develop some really awesome (and deep) blog posts.

running helps me think favorite post roundup

Lately however, my head is completely clear while I run.

I have nothing weighing on my mind, nothing to sort through, nothing to ponder more than which grocery store will have the cheapest berries this week.

Like really, where the heck are the decent priced blueberries already?

I just can’t even get over though, now that I reflect back on it, how many situations I worked through in my life while logging those miles.

Unresolved issues that were still lingering in my background were somehow brought to the surface as my feet were pounding away at the pavement.

Understanding my divorce, dealing with dating junk, personal growth stuff, motherhood, diet, exercise, weight….life….all tackled in such a beautiful way mentally which translated into posts to share with you.

I feel so lucky that not only was I able to dig deep so often but I was able to translate those thoughts into words to share with you, hopefully helping not only myself but others with some of the topics I have covered.

Running is awesome for mental clarity but so is writing. Getting those thoughts organized and out of your head is as great as cleaning out a closet.

It’s therapeutic, soothing and like taking a weight off of your shoulders. Sometimes we don’t actually solve a problem but we find a really good way to deal with it, live with it and make the best of it.

Since I don’t have a deep post for you right now (unless you want 700 words on blueberries), I thought it would be a good time to round some of my favorites for you instead.

Divorce/Relationships/Motherhood/Life:

Outgrowing Your Past <– can you ever really go back?

Never Be Stuck Again <– I still think about this post.

A Mile In My Shoes <– you really don’t know what you would do until it happens to you.

Retrain Your Brain <– the mind is a powerful thing.

Motherhood & Marriage Are Anything But Easy <– my response to a controversial article.

You Never Sleep Again <–ugh, love this post on motherhood.

Remembering Your Independence <– independence is really important no matter your relationship status.

Listening To Your Intuition <– do you ignore your intuition?

Running Hills Through Your Past <– love this post.

Organize Your Life To Organize Your Mind <– how do you stay organized?

Helping A Friend <– so important to be there for your friends.

Dating After Divorce <– I could write a book on the topic.

Understanding The Four Sides Of YOU <– a great way to take a good honest look at yourself.

Looking for more? I am always updating my Divorce and If You Missed It section at the top of the page.

Running:

How To Start Running <– not a how to, more of how I started running…we all start somewhere!

How “I Think” I Run Injury Free <– total taboo topic for me!

How Pregnancy And Motherhood Affect Your Running Routine <– one of my faves, featured on Blogher!

I Would Back Burner It All Over Again  <– I didn’t workout when my son was little.

How To Become A Morning Runner <– I make myself laugh.

Treadmill Racing <–I still see this woman at my gym!

Definitely check out my Running page, I am always updating it to include workouts, playlists, recaps and other posts!

Finding Balance With Your Body:

A Life Without The Scale <– still one of my most viewed posts!

Jeans Can Lie – NEDA Week <– Jeans can lie, just like the scale.

Waiting For Monday <–definitely one of my faves.

Put Away Your Measuring Cup <– please don’t measure your spinach.

Food Over Medicine <– absolutely.

What Do You Mean You Forgot To Eat? – I will never understand.

Learning From Mistakes <– that’s the goal.

So much to read, so much to read! Enjoy 🙂

Running Helps Me Think - Favorite Post Roundup #running #thinking #roundup #divorce #motherhood… Click To Tweet

*************

Are you able to zone out during races?

If you are a blogger, do you write posts in your head while running?

How much are the fresh blueberries in your area right now?

• Susie @ SuzLyfe May 5, 2015, 7:33 am

I’m a cyclical thinker–I tend to get stuck on a thought and go back and back and back to it!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Being the Support System: Living with Crohn’s DiseaseMy Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma May 5, 2015, 8:11 am

I’m finding myself in a similar situation where I don’t have so many “deep thoughts” while running and I’m not making “breakthroughs” as if it’s therapy! In the past though, I would get deep on my runs and work through things, and running is so perfect for that.

I also am annoyed with the berry issue! Plus my store was out of strawberries yesterday, which I’ve never seen, ever!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…My Running Comebacks Over 10 YearsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 6, 2015, 12:14 pm

I found blueberries but only small containers for cheap. Ugh! I need strawberries too right now, maybe ShopRite? My son keeps asking for them.

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine May 5, 2015, 8:31 am

Yes, I definitely write posts in my head while I run! They don’t always make it to the computer though. I have no idea what I think about when I race. Sometimes I don’t even remember seeing anything along the entire course!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…A Look Back at April 2015My Profile

• Jamie May 5, 2015, 9:08 am

I love your post on “treadmill racing” haha. I find myself doing that all the time. If someone is on the treadmill in front of me, I always try to stay on longer. Of if someone is next to me I always up my speed when they do. I’m the worst at this when I’m running next to my boyfriend though! Haha
    Jamie recently posted…Weekend Wrap UpMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 6, 2015, 12:13 pm

Haha – does he run faster or slower than you? If he is faster, it’s a nice motivator!

• Jillie May 5, 2015, 9:15 am

I write posts all the time in my head while I’m running or working out. The time I dedicate to getting the blood pumping is a special time where I feel like I’m able to reflect most. The only other time for me where I feel that is in my car driving TO work. I think it’s all about having that time by yourself where there are little distractions!

I have to read your running page for sure 🙂
    Jillie recently posted…Whole30 Cookbook – Walking on Sunshine SaladMy Profile

• Gretchen | Gretchruns May 5, 2015, 9:18 am

Love this roundup! I also think about blog posts in my head while I run, or when I’m daydreaming, or when I’m showering..basically anytime my mind wanders!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Tuesdays on the Run : Best Race EverMy Profile

• Suzy May 5, 2015, 9:57 am

What, no 700 words on blueberries?! Lol… I’ll have to come back and read some of these posts later today. I bet I’ve missed quite a few of them! They look like gooders.
    Suzy recently posted…Boom.My Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 5, 2015, 10:02 am

I do all my best thinking when I’m moving around in general… which is kind of frustrating because I’ll have phrases worded perfectly in my head, and when I sit down to write them, they’re gone. This is why I need a treadmill desk…
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. my favourite healthy baking substitutions .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 6, 2015, 12:11 pm

That happens to me too. I try really hard to remember them or type them in my phone while I am running but sometimes, they are just lost.

• Ashley @ A Lady Goes West May 5, 2015, 3:31 pm

Hi Meredith! I rarely run just-to-run, but I do get a lot of thinking done while in the shower these days! I totally understand what you mean about clearing your mind though. In fact, my workouts now are primarily taking or teaching group fitness classes, but I do recall getting a lot of things sorted out in my head when I used to hit the pavement more as a runner. Happy Cinco de Mayo to you!
    Ashley @ A Lady Goes West recently posted…Become a master chef with Blue Apron deliveryMy Profile

• Shannon May 5, 2015, 5:32 pm

I don’t run, but I walk pretty often and zone out while walking. Its very therapeutic and I love it! Sometimes I get post ideas in my head but forget them by the time I am home.
    Shannon recently posted…Mother’s Day Gift IdeasMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 6, 2015, 12:10 pm

That happens to me a lot. Sometimes I take out my phone and type the ideas down so I don’t totally lose them.