2015 Long Island Half Marathon Recap

1:51:20. One hour, fifty-one minutes and twenty seconds.

Not exactly the finish time I envisioned when I registered and not the finish time I thought about at the start of taper week but I guess I am lucky I was able to run at all after being sick.

Let’s talk about it, shall we?

I finished.

LI Half Race Medal

It’s crazy to think what a big deal it is to have finished these 13.1 miles when hello, I run the distance like every seven days but my gosh, IT WAS BRUTAL.

The heat. The relentless sun. The endless lengths of road. The thirst. Oh the thirst.

It started out perfect. I felt great when I woke up, almost completely forgetting that I just had some sort of virus.

I ate oatmeal, drank my water and coffee. Like any other race morning.

I had my stuff all together, including my Lulu bag packed with essentials like my yurbuds, a banana and watermelon (on ice, for after the race when I get to the car) plus my sweatshirt (always freezing when finished) and the towel they gave out this year at the expo (along with a race shirt and socks!).

race stuff

I got to the race with plenty of time to spare, used a bathroom or two and walked my way over to the start.

li-half

It was gorgeous out but I knew it would feel hot once we started running. I was ready for it though, or so I thought.

LI Half

Do you see the Nassau Coliseum in the background? The first couple of miles run right around it.

So what happened you wonder?

splits

Miles 1- 3 —> I felt great! I was going at what seemed to be a comfortable pace. I was holding it no issue, my legs felt rested and happy, I felt normal and myself, completely forgetting I had been sick.

I absolutely didn’t think I needed to stop at the mile 2 water station…

Huge mistake.

As soon as I hit mile 3, I was dying of thirst and there wasn’t water again until the 4 mile mark.

It was kind of weird actually because my muscles were ready and willing to run but the rest of me was…thirsty. And hot. Overheating.

Miles 4- 6 –> The jelly beans came out much sooner than planned. They usually come out at mile 6 but I had them out by mile 4, maybe even sooner.

I wanted to stop.

I kept going yet I knew that the only way to keep going was to slow down. I was honestly struggling big time to continue, more than any other race (I think).

I was just so hot.

I walked through every water station, sometimes stopping completely to drink. In my head it was a game of, “okay, just get to the next water station, you can make it to that and then see what’s up…”

With each water stop, I felt better…until the feeling of I am too hot and this is really challenging returned.

Miles 7- 10 –> I was dreading the Wantagh Parkway. I kept thinking to myself that maybe I needed to call it quits before the stretch of endless sunny highway but I didn’t stop.

I reminded myself to just run where I was comfortable, as if it were a routine long run.

Nothing was actually comfortable because of the sun. Of course it had to be the warmest day of the year to date.

I tried to get to the rest of my jelly beans but they slipped into the seam of the pants pocket!

Did I mention my songs were supposed to be on shuffle but weren’t shuffling?

Miles 10-13 –> I knew that the girls from my local Lululemon store were manning the water stop at mile 11 and I would love to say that they gave me some sort of boost but all they gave me was water. Like three cups of water. I was grabbing a good three at each water station.

I just couldn’t get enough water. I may have even had a Gatorade at some point.

Miles 11 through 13.1 were long. Endless.

I kept thinking I should speed up but I realized that I was giving all I had. I really was.

It was the absolute best that I could do and that really counts for something. I could not go faster.

When I crossed the finish line, I asked for two bottles of water and drank them without going up for air, except for when I swapped out one bottle for the other.

I couldn’t even call my dad (you know I always call him when I finish a race) until I got to water bottle number three.

The hardest part of the whole race, I mean besides the relentless heat and sun, was allowing myself to seriously slow down.

I was so ready to PR this race (until I got sick that is) but honestly, it was so extremely hot that who knows if I would have anyway.

Did I suffer through this race because I had been sick? Maybe. I may have felt better but my body probably didn’t forget the illness so quickly.

I did not even have an endorphin high. Nothing. I was beat and spent and not in that endorphin flowing tired yet glowing way although I felt better once I showered, ate and recovered a bit at home.

Since I always look on the bright side of things…

–>My yurbuds were awesome.

–>I think I would have dropped to the ground by mile 4 had it not been for the Lulu run visor.

–>I didn’t give up.

So here’s the thing — I am totally not competitive. Not with you, your friend or myself. I really would have had little issue dropping out of the race and calling it a day if I truly didn’t feel well. I dug deep during those dreadful miles to determine if I could last because if I couldn’t, I was done.

But I was okay enough to continue. All I needed to do was slow down. If you learn nothing more from me, I hope you learn that as a runner, you are totally in control. You may not run the race that you want, you may not cross the finish line at the time at which you desired but you are in complete control of regulating your pace to where you need to be should you not be able to keep up with your best.

Sometimes giving up is the answer (like if you don’t feel well! You stop!) But sometimes, the answer is finding your inner strength to keep going while giving up on your PR, regulating your pace to where you can continue and finishing as strong as possible.

…And most importantly, skipping that first aid station when part of you thinks it looks like a really good rest idea at mile 7 because if you stop there and then write about it in your recap, your mom will read it and ban you from running for life.

This was my third year running the Long Island Half Marathon:

2013 Long Island Half Marathon Recap

2014  Long Island Half Marathon Recap

LI Half Marathon Recap #lihalf #running #halfmarathon #racerecap Click To Tweet

***********

Do you handle warm weather races well or do you prefer the fall?

Do you stop to drink at the water stops or keep moving?

Best thing you ate all weekend?!

• Tina muir May 4, 2015, 5:51 am

Oooof heat is a killer, sorry to hear it was not ideal friend, BUT you should be very proud of yourself (love that you look on the bright side) of the fact you didnt give up. That is HUGE, and so many people cannot claim that. There will be better days, but it was an experience, and you did it 🙂 Love what you said about pushing through when you want to give up. Rest up my friend!
    Tina muir recently posted…Meatless Monday- Date & Nut GranolaMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 5, 2015, 6:26 am

Thank you 🙂 I did want to give up but the more I really thought about it in those split second decision moments, I knew that I didn’t really need to, I just needed to slow down in order to continue. Like any other routine run. A shame it was a race but hey, at least I was able to run it after being sick which almost made me skip it.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 5, 2015, 6:26 am

• jill conyers May 4, 2015, 6:09 am

As hard as I’ve tried to drink and keep moving I’ve accepted the fact that I have to walk about 10 steps for a quick drink. My husband is a master hydrate without stopping runner. He makes it look so easy too.
    jill conyers recently posted…HIIT Abs & Obliques WorkoutMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 5, 2015, 6:25 am

I can grab and drink if I slow a bit but this time, I really need to stop to ensure I got it all in my mouth lol.

• Susie @ SuzLyfe May 4, 2015, 7:33 am

Well, congrats on the race, and good for you for sticking it out and also being smart about your race. I don’t generally take in much water until at least halfway through my run/race/whatever. I’m a pretty conservative fueler on the whole. But that said, for the first hot race/run of the season, you have to be careful and take extra care.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…How Running and Fitness Improves Parenting (repost)My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 5, 2015, 6:24 am

When I ran this half two years ago, I recall not grabbing water until mile 5. I guess each run is different. Usually though during the hot races, I grab the water much more often.

• Ash Diamond May 4, 2015, 7:57 am

Congratulations on finishing! Yesterday I ran 13.1 in the pouring rain and while I too was ready to PR, and on track the first 10 miles, my heavy shoes and exhausted muscles just weren’t ready. Move forward and focus onw hats next 🙂

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 5, 2015, 6:23 am

And congrats to you too 🙂 We can plan and prepare all we want but then those weather variables happen and we just have to make the best of it and finish as strong as possible.

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine May 4, 2015, 8:10 am

I think that May races are the hardest for me because typically I have been running in the colder temps all winter and then all of a sudden your thrown into a warmer race without your body having time to adapt. I think that’s the reason why fall races work better for me- I train through the summer and then get a reprieve when its cooler out. Sorry that it didn’t go as planned, but Im glad that you can still have as positive outlook. Im sure being sick last week didn’t do you any favors in that heat!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Weekly Recap 4/26-5/2My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 4, 2015, 3:00 pm

Absolutely agree with you regarding May races! Too soon to be used to the warm weather while running a race.

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma May 4, 2015, 8:12 am

Ugh! I’m actually feeling nauseous just thinking about running in that sun and heat. It was NO JOKE yesterday, even in the morning and I only ran 4 miles. The last half I did in Sept was brutal with heat and humidity, and Boston 2014 was hot and sunny and it’s just simply the worst for racing in my opinion, especially the deceiving sun, which makes it “seem” nice but feels awful. Congrats to you for getting through it! I’m glad you had the experience because it WILL make you stronger, but a big boo to the weather! Looks like my 10k next week will be warm, now just hoping for overcast.
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Workout Recap + Weekend ScenesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 4, 2015, 2:59 pm

I will hope for overcast for you for next week! Would make a huge difference for you.

• Lesq May 4, 2015, 8:16 am

Your personality is so awesome and so uplifting for anyone who is lucky enough to interact with you. I am so happy to read your blog each day. Your mindset is so on my wave length. You always take the good from a situation, learn from it and move on. It’s the makings of a happy and content life. Have a great week and thanks for always sharing life’s lessons on a positive note. We all learn and grow together.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 5, 2015, 6:21 am

Thank you so so so much 🙂 Like really. You made my day! It makes me so happy to know you enjoy reading my blog everyday and that you “get” me. Thank you again.

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 4, 2015, 8:41 am

Sorry to hear that you didn’t run the kind of race you wanted, love, but I still think it’s pretty awesome that you finished… especially in that kind of heat and coming off being sick. I’m basically useless in the heat, especially when it’s combined with lots of humidity. This is probably why I live in Canada 😆
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. my favourite healthy baking substitutions .My Profile

• Jamie May 4, 2015, 9:16 am

During a half, I usually walk through a water station around mile 7/8. But during marathons, I walk through every water station after the half way point and alternate water and gatorade.

I prefer the warmer weather to train, but usually race best when it’s about 40 degrees 🙂
    Great job finishing the run!! I always find the mentally tough races the most rewarding!
    Jamie recently posted…What Now?My Profile

• Gretchen Gretchruns May 4, 2015, 9:34 am

Great job finishing a tough race! That’s still an awesome time. I actually prefer racing in the heat (crazy, I know) so I usually sign up for summer races. I also love Yurbuds- they’re the absolute best for running!
    Gretchen Gretchruns recently posted…May 4 – Weekly GoalsMy Profile

• Suzy May 4, 2015, 9:38 am

There’s actually a calculator somewhere online that will tell you how much slower we run when it’s hot out. The heat really, really makes a difference. Congratulations on finishing that half marathon in those conditions! I can’t even imagine. I don’t mind the heat for training and stuff but for racing? No thank you!!!
    Suzy recently posted…Mileage MondayMy Profile

• Sarah @pickyrunner May 4, 2015, 9:39 am

i feel likeour idea of a normal distance to run is so skewed when we run long most weekends. But racing is an entirely different beast. Congrats on finishing!! That’s huge after being sick since it takes our bodies a few days to recover from illnesses.Plus, we’re just at the beginning of this spring/summer weather and our bodies just aren’t used to that kind of heat. I felt like I was going to die a few weeks ago when I did the 10K, let along a half marathon!

Let’s catch up today!!!
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…4/26-5/2My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 4, 2015, 2:57 pm

It really is so different than our usual distance runs. I kept trying to tell myself it wasn’t but the energy of a race course is totally different! And I am so not acclimated yet to warm weather sunshine. I also run earlier than the race started which may have played a role too.

• Arman @ thebigmansworld May 4, 2015, 9:53 am

Wow, Meredith just catching up on the posts now and I’m so impressed- Congrats on finishing it amidst those pre-run conditions! 🙂
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…First days of American livingMy Profile

• Sara @ Lake Shore Runner May 4, 2015, 10:15 am

Wow I can’t even imagine running a half after being sick, let a lone in the heat. You should be so proud of completing it and pushing through 🙂 Imagine how your next half is going to feel when you are not just getting over being sick and taking water from the first aid station!!
    Sara @ Lake Shore Runner recently posted…Thinking Out Loud on a MondayMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 4, 2015, 2:26 pm

Ugh, all I could think about is how great I felt in the fall at the Runner’s World Festival running that half after running two races the day before! Amazing how good that felt compared to yesterday!

• Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl May 4, 2015, 11:00 am

Congratulations on finishing strong! I know I have had the opposite happen (it’s been way colder than expected and my fingers and legs have frozen) while feeling ill, and any extreme weather plus being UNDER the weather can make finishing an accomplishment in and of itself, so feel proud!
    Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…May Weekend UpdatesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 4, 2015, 2:25 pm

Thank you 🙂 I guess any sort of extreme weather is not fun! I wouldn’t like being that cold either but gosh I hate the heat!

• Lauren May 4, 2015, 11:09 am

Awesome job finishing the race!! I would not have been able to!!!

Which yurbuds do you use? I am getting some for Mother’s Day!

Lauren

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 4, 2015, 2:24 pm

The package says Ironman Series? I am not sure of all of the varieties as these were a gift but I can say that I love them!

• Shannon May 4, 2015, 1:31 pm

Running in the heat is not fun at all. I don’t run much anyways, but I definitely despise it even more when it is overly hot. Good job for finishing though!

• Jillie May 4, 2015, 1:47 pm

Ugh the heat this weekend. There is nothing worse than when the weather plays tricks on all of the training you’ve done in the past few weeks. I was kind of there this weekend for my race as well. However, CONGRATULATIONS! Great job finishing and look forward to the next one.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 4, 2015, 2:23 pm

Way too hot for this race course, especially since I wasn’t used to it yet! Have to check out your race recap!

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets May 5, 2015, 6:00 am

I’m still impressed you ran after being sick leading up to. I wouldn’t be surprised if that played a role along with the heat. And this was likely the first really hot run of the year since our weather has been pretty dismal up to this point. You ran a half marathon. I think that’s damn good in and of itself.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 5, 2015, 6:20 am

It’s weird because the more I think about it, the more I am like – how the heck did I do it so close to recovering from that virus? lol..I really felt 100% but I am sure that my body did not forget it was just sick and it absolutely played a role, combined with the heat. But I did finish!

• Nikki @ will run for pizza May 7, 2015, 1:47 pm

Girl. We’ve all been there! I TRY not to stop at water stops because I end up getting cramps after drinking. Usually because i’m so thirsty that I can’t stop drinking when I should. SOMETIMES I just need the electrolytes though so i’ve swigged the NASTY gatorade (only to regret it in 1/10th of a mile because my stomach hates me), or i’ll carry Nuun. Usuallyfor a half, i’m good with nothing, but my half last weekend was hotter than normal and I really needed something. I swooshed water in my mouth and spit it out at 2 water stations, and then at 11 I wished I had gummies or Nuun, but the gatorade was it. My stomach was upset after that until the end, but it at least kept me running haha.
    I ALWAYS ask for 2 bottles of water at the end b/c i’m DYING of thirst at that point! And i’m ALWAYS freezing at the end too, so i’m going to steal your trick and start taking a hoodie with me and make my Hus carry it around until the finish! I don’t know why I haven’t thought of that before….lol.
    Nice job pushing through though! I’m not competitive either really. Only with myself. And ONLY in running and working out. And even THAT is iffy lol.
    Nikki @ will run for pizza recently posted…Zpizza! What will YOU do for pizza??My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 7, 2015, 2:21 pm

I am always always always cold after a race! Even in the summer. The sweatshirt is a must 🙂

• Caitlin May 13, 2015, 2:07 am

I just found your blog looking up race results. I did the half this year too, and was sick the week before as well. It was SO hard and I had to stop at almost every water station, I didn’t think I was going to make it! I managed to finish about one minute after you. A few years back I did it in 1:48 and felt great. The heat was terrible this year. At about mile 8, my goal was to just finish, not race. I didn’t have a single ounce of energy left at the end either. You did awesome, especially considering all the circumstances!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles May 13, 2015, 5:57 am

I am so glad you found me! Wasn’t it so hot and difficult? I mean, yes, we were both sick but there was just something about it that seemed overly strenuous this year! It’s way too sunny on that course, I think it should be a fall race instead! In 2013 I finished in 1:45 and last year I think 1:47? I have to check my race recaps. All I know is that I wanted to stop running but kept going and somehow finished. Let’s both be proud we made it to the finish line!