WIAW – Day Of My Long Run

When deciding which day to feature as my What I Ate Wednesday post this week, I thought it would be interesting to take a look at what I ate on Saturday, otherwise known as, long run day.

15 miles

There are some Saturdays where I am absolutely beyond starving immediately following my run which continues through the day, into the night carrying over into Sunday, no matter what I do.

But then there are plenty of Saturdays where I am just normal hungry without getting hit with the appetite monster until a day or two later, if at all.

This Saturday in particular was just a regular appetite day, with no rhyme or reason as to why, although, I do find that eating within the 30-60 minute window following a run (more like 30 minute window for me) absolutely plays a role in setting me on the right track for the day more than anything else.

Waiting too long to eat after you run (especially a long run/race!) not only hurts your recovery but will definitely affect your hunger level in a not-so-nice way.

WHAT-I-ATE-WEDNESDAY-NEW-BUTTON-PEAS-AND-CRAYONS

Pre-run oatmeal:

Since early morning oatmeal heated up with berries involved is not very photogenic, I took the picture before warming in the microwave.

Peanut butter was added after the picture was taken.

oatmeal

I can tolerate blueberries before running but if it’s a race morning, I usually skip them just in case.

Trader Joe’s jelly beans go in my pocket for the road (I mean, run):

jelly beans

Post-run breakfast:

I quickly jump in the shower after I run and then proceed to eat as fast as possible.

I am always starving after I run, especially after long runs, which makes it easy for me to ensure I eat a recovery meal in the crucial refuel time frame.

If I get any meal right in terms of balancing my protein -> complex carbs -> fat, it’s this one right here.

post run oatmeal

The usual cooked oatmeal served cold in an almost empty peanut butter jar mixed with berries, Skoop B Strong (love it!!), a dash of salt (sodium!) and a little plain greek yogurt topped with the new Love Grown Foods Sweet Cranberry Pecan Oat Clusters and of course, more peanut butter.

Lunch:

Okay, sit down for this one.

IMG_0472

I made a smoothie.

Yes. You heard me. SMOOTHIE.

Does this make me a healthy living blogger? OMG. I know. I never thought I would smoothie it either.

But, you see, I didn’t have time to get to Red Mango before my son’s baseball game and I sort of felt like something sweet and cold and Amanda told me that if I did it right I would fall in love….

IMG_0475

It was a spoonable smoothie. Thick. Chewable.

It was basically a blended up version of what I had for breakfast only I added spinach and I really don’t know if I did it right but I really liked it!

In the mix: cooked oatmeal (texture!), frozen bananas and berries, Skoop B-Strong (totally obsessed by the way), a little PB2, a spoon of greek yogurt, spinach, ice and some water.

On top: The Cranberry Pecan Oat Clusters because I need to chew and obviously more peanut butter because I live on it.

I am a sweet tooth by nature but especially after long runs.

All I want after a long run or race is simple and  sweet — basically, breakfast or frozen yogurt (and maybe now smoothies) all day long.

So anyway, I always get nervous that I will need a snack while I am out and about.

The afternoons will sneak up on me and attack me with hunger that can be so extreme it makes me nauseous.

Power-O's

I actually didn’t need my snack while watching my son’s baseball game but I did need coffee.

coffee

Free cup free cup!

After baseball we were getting ready to go to the Islanders game. My son wanted to eat dinner at the game, I really didn’t and at this point in the late afternoon, I needed something more than a snack of cereal in my stomach.

I quickly made some of my favorite peanut butter roasted brussels sprouts for an easy salad.

salad

Add diced apples to the brussels sprouts as they roast and then dried cranberries to top it all off, trust me.

And, as usual lately…

baked potato

Baked potato kick still going strong.

I don’t know why I keep choosing big white baked potatoes over my beloved sweet but there is something so satisfying to me, not just my taste buds but the rest of my body too, so I am going with it until the craving settles down.

We planned to go out for dessert after the game but I packed a snack with me in case I got hungry during the game.

apples

Diced apples sprinkled with cinnamon in a baggie. The cinnamon helps keep the apples fresh. So so good!

You already know the full details regarding what we had for dessert…

Friendly's Crowd Pleaser

Be sure to check out what everyone else is eating today!

OMG I had a smoothie. And liked it #wiaw #smoothies #runner #eats Click To Tweet

***************

What do you crave after long runs?

Are you careful about eating within the refuel time frame and do you feel the difference if you miss the window?

Are you a smoothie drinker? Favorite combination lately?

• Susie @ SuzLyfe April 15, 2015, 7:11 am

Sweet tooth you do have, my friend. I don’t know if I even crave things after runs, really–maybe eggs or my oatmeal. Often I’m really not that hungry, I just know that I need to eat something, and then that just kickstarts everything, and then it is over and I must eat allllll the things.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Impromptu Date Night at Nico Osteria Chicago (review)My Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 15, 2015, 7:51 am

It’s a good thing I was sitting down when I got your message, because I couldn’t really believe it 😛 You know I’m obsessed with smoothies, though — especially if they involve chocolate. I really do need to start tossing some frozen strawberries in mine because I buy those mixed berry bags, eat all the good berries, and have nothing but strawberries left over… which aren’t any good to snack on when they’re frozen. Need to think up a good combo.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. chocolate chip banana bread energy bites .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 15, 2015, 7:11 pm

Yeah, I hate frozen berries but blended up in a smoothie is doable. We can do a strawberry banana smoothie? Chocolate strawberry? Mixed berry?

• Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl April 15, 2015, 8:15 am

I’m the same way after long runs…I crave muffins, pancakes, sweet oatmeal, yogurt, and ice cream. And fruit! I guess it’s good that simple carbs are good post-run fuel 🙂
    Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…WIAW #6: Yogurt and Peanut Butter and Ice Cream, Oh My!My Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma April 15, 2015, 8:21 am

I definitely don’t make enough smoothies! I need to jump on this now! I think for spring/summer a portable smoothie sounds awesome. My long run days are usually more food but nothing really interesting, just more of the same.
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…WIAW – Not a Bad Place to BeMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 15, 2015, 7:04 pm

I am thinking smoothies as a portable summer meal sounds perfect…for by the pool 🙂

• Gretchen | Gretchruns April 15, 2015, 8:27 am

I am a smoothie fanatic! I always have to add frozen mango- it’s my favorite fruit and it makes everything taste so much better! I’m the opposite from you though..I hate chewing in my smoothie and have to make sure everything is super blended and NOT spoonable!!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Wednesday Reviews : Pop Sugar Must Have Box {April}My Profile

• Suzy April 15, 2015, 9:10 am

It’s so hard because after a long hard run I have zero appetite for a solid hour after I finish but I KNOW the importance of getting some protein in as soon as possible. At the very least, I’ll drink milk once I drink a bunch of water, or I’ll have a latte if it’s cold out. Then I catch up on my calories later on.
    Suzy recently posted…Woozy Wednesday: Red Toilet WaterMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 15, 2015, 7:03 pm

And I totally get it! They honestly say that milk (even chocolate milk) is the perfect recovery mix of nutrients. Sometimes after running really fast (like a 5k) am I not super hungry. Takes a little time to get the appetite going.

• Trish April 15, 2015, 9:38 am

I’m so looking forward to smoothies!
    Trish recently posted…#WIAW Post #WLS Style {4.15.15}My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 15, 2015, 7:00 pm

I can certainly see myself making them more often as it gets warmer! It’s so not like me! lol

• Melissa April 15, 2015, 9:54 am

Ooh I love apples and cinnamon! I haven’t had that in a while – you may have inspired me to get some of that back in my life.
    AND peanut butter brussells sprouts? Okay – I definitely have to see what this is all about!
    Melissa recently posted…WIAW: I My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 15, 2015, 6:59 pm

Let me know if you try the peanut butter Brussels sprouts! So good with the sweet chili sauce.

• Sara @ Lake Shore Runner April 15, 2015, 10:41 am

Wow a smoothie and PB2?! Who is this?! I have been on a big breakfast smoothie kick lately. Like you I like mine spoonable – thick! I add oats to mine too
    Sara @ Lake Shore Runner recently posted…Eggplant Spaghetti Squash Parmesan RecipeMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 15, 2015, 6:58 pm

I know, right? I don’t know who I am. I will say though that I always liked Pb2 in things like this, especially when blended with frozen bananas.

• Jessie April 15, 2015, 12:36 pm

I thought of you on Monday when I had a parfait from Red Mango. I actually got a parfait because of you. Decided to switch it up from my usual original or smoothie. It was delicious!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 15, 2015, 6:58 pm

Aww, I am so glad you enjoyed it! Did you take a picture?! I want to see it 🙂

• Sarah @pickyrunner April 15, 2015, 1:55 pm

It’s funny– I have a raging sweet tooth (as we all know) but when it comes to post-race or post-long run, my sweet tooth is nonexistent. I want a giant burger and some salty fries, or a huge bagel. But never pancakes, or ice cream, or anything I would normally crave. Maybe later in the day it comes back, but never right after. Again, I really want that ice cream.
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Get Outside.My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 15, 2015, 6:57 pm

It’s funny how our appetites change after running a lot of miles or running a race…There have been times where I crave eggs later in the day but not in a really long time.

• Shannon April 15, 2015, 2:04 pm

Smoothies are soooo good. I do like them really thick and creamy though so you can eat them with a spoon! I still cannot get over your sundae though. I want to go there just to try and eat the whole thing with a partner.
    Shannon recently posted…Caesar Salad with Cornbread CroutonsMy Profile

• Julia @ Lord Still Loves Me April 15, 2015, 8:45 pm

I am with you on being the biggest sweet tooth ever! If it were acceptable, I would probably have sweets for every meal. I love getting an inside sneak into long run eats!
    Julia @ Lord Still Loves Me recently posted…Does the “type” of calorie matter? {VLOG}My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 16, 2015, 3:38 pm

I usually feel like savory come dinner time but I would probably have little issue going sweet all day long 🙂

• Marissa April 15, 2015, 11:14 pm

Nice eats! 15 miles…That’s impressive! I enjoy my smoothies with pineapple, strawberry {usually frozen} with coconut water and a banana. Sometimes some flax and chia thrown in.
    Marissa recently posted…WIAW #9: Our Visit to LafayetteMy Profile

• GiGi Eats April 15, 2015, 11:40 pm

THAT DESSERTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GAHHHH!!! I want to jump off the diving board into the deep end! LOL!
    GiGi Eats recently posted…Getting Stuffed With Brad GouthroMy Profile

• Arman @ thebigmansworld April 16, 2015, 12:00 am

So…I’ve made the decision to try out running when in New York for the first month or so, after reading this, I’m pre-empting cravings for well…sweet anf frozen things?

Glad you’re on the smoothie bandwagon- I LOVE how you added cooked oats- I did that with steel cuts the other day and it was so good!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Grilled Sweet Chilli Chicken BurgersMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 16, 2015, 3:36 pm

Steel cut oats are my favorite – especially blended on in to the smoothie!

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets April 19, 2015, 9:59 am

That’s it. You’re officially a Healthy Living Blogger. Smoothies, protein powder and PB2. Welcome to the club.

I roasted some baked potatoes last night to be eaten later this week. I’m excited!!

• She Rocks Fitness April 19, 2015, 2:34 pm

So crazy how our appetites can be all over the place after runs…I am not a fan when I have those days after of hangry pants…HA! I am ALL about smoothies after long runs. They taste so darn good. PS: I love stuffing whatever I can into that TJ’s nut butter. I have an almost empty one to use… 🙂
    She Rocks Fitness recently posted…New Beginnings…The Negative VoiceMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 20, 2015, 11:04 am

Nothing better than the almost empty jar for stuffing with oatmeal 🙂