Tomorrow is a Big Day & New Running Playlist!

Tomorrow is a big day.

Not only is it the opening day for my son’s Little League season, it is the last regular season Islanders home game ever to played at the Nassau Coliseum.

Nassau Coliseum

After this season, the Coliseum is being knocked down and rebuilt for who knows exactly what but more importantly, my Islanders are moving to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn and taking my childhood along with them.

Even though I have known about the impending move scheduled for the 2015-2016 season for a few years now, I sort of blocked it out since the concept of the years 2015-2016 seemed just so far away.

But it’s now 2015 and it’s about to happen.

I still don’t understand how Nassau County allowed this to happen! How 28 of the top 100 wealthiest zip codes in the entire country surround the Coliseum, that being considered middle class here, which was just listed in the news the other day, is an annual salary of $97,690   — yet no one had the money/wanted to spend the money to rebuild a new arena to keep the team playing here? I don’t get it.

Instead of focusing on the negative of a topic you probably don’t care very much about, I put together a really fun new running playlist for us with songs I have always loved listening to during Islanders games at the Nassau Coliseum.

I chose the songs that I thought we would most enjoy hearing while running (I already downloaded them!) and since these songs are played to motivate the players and the crowd, they can now motivate us too!

stadium series running playlist

My son and I have already planned to go straight to Friendly’s for another Crowd Pleaser Sundae after the game tomorrow night.

Friendly's Crowd Pleaser Sundae

Remember we shared it back in October after opening night? 12 scoops of ice cream plus 6 toppings!

We had decided back then that we would return for another Crowd Pleaser at the end of the season figuring it would give me a happy moment to look forward to after tomorrow’s  bittersweet final game.

I mean, we do have the playoffs scheduled to begin next week, but still, we know that once the playoffs end, the Nassau Coliseum, which holds a major part of my life’s memories, will cease to exist.

Yes, I realize I can just make the trek to the games in Brooklyn but it’s not the same. Not even close.

Although, the Barclays Center does serve Junior’s Chocolate Cheesecake so I guess it’s not a totally terrible thing.

New Running Playlist inspired by the Nassau Coliseum #running #playlist #Islanders… Click To Tweet

****************

Do you have any of these songs currently on your running playlist?

Last sporting event you attended?

If you were ordering 12 scoops of ice cream, would you get 12 different flavors or double some up?

• Susie @ SuzLyfe April 10, 2015, 7:13 am

Ugh, I hate when stadiums (and all those memories) get knocked down–I still remember when Fulton county Stadium when bye bye and now they are going to knock down Turner Field (which was also the home of the Olympics). And goodness only knows why…
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Friday Five (s) : Runner Favorites and ConfessionsMy Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 10, 2015, 7:51 am

Our Oilers will be moving too. Although I think the city is so pissy with them at this point that no one really minds 😆 Like… you know it’s bad when you boo your OWN TEAM at games. Too much young talent — not enough experienced leadership. Stinkers.

But anyways… ice cream. I don’t even know that I could think up 12 different flavours 😯 I’d double up and go heavy on the vanilla.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. banana oat baked french toast .My Profile

• Suzy April 10, 2015, 9:01 am

My friend’s son LB played in net for the Oilers last night! It was his first NHL game. Pretty cool, despite the whole crappy team thing. That sucks. I used to love the Canucks but they were so frustrating last year that I refused to watch a single game this season and now they’re doing okay. But I don’t care. I just plug my ears and say la la la la!
      Suzy recently posted…Blended Family Friday: Continental BreakfastMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 10, 2015, 9:33 am

And I think this is so totally cool that he plays for the Oilers! And Amanda and I totally hear you on the frustrations of your team being terrible. I guess we all go through it.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 10, 2015, 9:34 am

And in Buffalo this year, the fans cheer when the Sabres lose because they want them to finish last in order to get the best draft pick…

• Shannon April 10, 2015, 8:02 am

Does your salary automatically increase if you move to that area?? 🙂
    There are so many new and interesting ice cream flavors that are coming to market. I am sure I could find 12 to order… Or double up on the cookie dough!
    Shannon recently posted…Restaurant Style SalsaMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 10, 2015, 9:30 am

I always double the cookie dough and a really yummy flavor called hunka chunka peanut butter fudge!

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma April 10, 2015, 8:28 am

Had no idea nassau is being knocked down! Strange feeling because I’ve known it all my life and it’s such a landmark. Wonder what they’re doing with the space. And for 12 flavors there might have to be a double cookie dough in there and peanut butter cup. I guess it depends on the available flavors. Since I worked at friendly’s 12 doesn’t even seem like enough to choose from 🙂
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Sweet Caramel Cinnamon Baked PlantainsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 10, 2015, 9:30 am

You know I love that you worked at Friendlys! As soon as the deal to keep the Islanders fell through and they signed in Brooklyn, suddenly there was a developer to take down the Coliseum and rebuild it as a smaller building that won’t be large enough for a professional sports team. Who knows for sure as I keep hearing random new reports.

• Gretchen | Gretchruns April 10, 2015, 8:42 am

I’m sorry about your team leaving! That sucks. I remember when the Penguins tore down Mellon Arena/the Igloo and it was a HUGE deal. Luckily they built a new arena across the street, but it was still a very iconic building that I remember from my childhood- gone! I can’t imagine how much harder it would be if they also left the city :/ Enjoy the last game!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 10, 2015, 9:31 am

Even I recall the Igloo (not that I was ever there but I knew it was called the Igloo!)…We are playing you tonight – it’s a big game!

• Suzy April 10, 2015, 9:05 am

I’ve got Metallica but not that song… I have “Until it Sleeps.” And I have never seen a sundae that looks like that in my LIFE. Maybe it’s just a Canada thing, but I don’t think we even make those to sell up here. Ha ha! I’ll definitely have to make my own.
    Suzy recently posted…Blended Family Friday: Continental BreakfastMy Profile

• Sara @ Lake Shore Runner April 10, 2015, 10:17 am

Good luck to your son tomorrow! And I used to love going to Friendly’s when I was younger. But then it went out of business 🙁 Sorry about your Islanders….
    Sara @ Lake Shore Runner recently posted…FRIDAY FIVE: Favorite Trips & Trips I Want To Go OnMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 12, 2015, 7:22 pm

So many Friendly’s have closed here that I am lucky the one I went to after the game was still opened. How much worse would my night have been if they would have closed too lol.

• Beverley @ sweaty&fit April 10, 2015, 10:24 am

That’s really too bad about the stadium! Sometimes i really cannot understand the decisions that city’s make just to save a few bucks.
    That icecream sundae looks delicioussss. Definitely going to indulge in one tonight! Happy Friday!
    Beverley @ sweaty&fit recently posted…FitSet AmbassadorMy Profile

• Sarah @pickyrunner April 10, 2015, 11:13 am

It’s always so sad when something that has been a part of your childhood ups and leaves. There are a lot of places in RI that I get upset about because they’re not there anymore and then it’s weird going back. But that ice cream is the perfect way to celebrate! I’ve been craving a giant sundae lately. I just need someone to go with me…
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…TOL: SurprisesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 12, 2015, 7:21 pm

Do they still have Friendly’s in Delaware or on the way to/from Delaware? If so, let’s meet half way next time you are driving north?!

• lindsay April 10, 2015, 4:20 pm

oh sad, that’s always hard to see be torn down. But i hope that something good comes from it.

Good luck tomorrow! great play list. and yay ice cream! i prefer ice to froyo.. shhhh don’t tell anyone

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 12, 2015, 7:20 pm

Lol your secret is safe with me…So sad for the team to be moving – I keep hoping they will come back but at least Brooklyn isn’t out of state. Could always be worse.

• Arman @ thebigmansworld April 11, 2015, 5:37 am

Enjoy the game, Meredith! That sucks about the stadium though but even moreso the clientele surrounding it…Le’ts here the complaints happen once it’s no longer there

PS – You have epic taste in music and PPS- 12 flavours? As long as half of it is cookie dough or Peanut butter flavoured, I’m gold.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Healthy Greek Couscous SaladMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 12, 2015, 7:19 pm

You would have loved the sundae – definitely peanut butter and cookie dough loaded!

• Hayley April 11, 2015, 11:46 am

OMG THAT SUNDAE. Ice cream is probably my favorite food. I would get maybe 4 types of ice cream and triple the scoops for each. I would want triple of all my faves for sure.

• Sabrina @ Nutritiously Sweet April 11, 2015, 2:18 pm

Holy moly… that’s ice cream sundae looks epic! 🙂
    Sabrina @ Nutritiously Sweet recently posted…Shoulders, Chest & Tri’s Pump! (Workout)My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 12, 2015, 7:17 pm

It’s a terrific dessert – so much fun ordering all of those flavors!

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets April 13, 2015, 6:10 pm

I’m sorry about the Islanders although glad to see you could console yourself with ice cream and lots of it. It looks delicious.

Enter Sandwich is a fantastic running song! Also spinning, it’s great for a hill climb.