What I Ate Yesterday

A quick look at what I ate yesterday…

WHAT-I-ATE-WEDNESDAY-NEW-BUTTON-PEAS-AND-CRAYONS

I can’t remember the last time I ate just one breakfast and I also can’t remember the last time I was able to sip my first cup of coffee at a leisurely pace rather than gulp it down in two seconds.

oatmeal

Early morning (as in still dark outside) pre-run small bowl of oatmeal with mashed banana, cinnamon and peanut butter. Can you see my mug is basically empty before I even took a bite of the oatmeal?

After my run (nine miles!), I came home wanting a simple english muffin with peanut butter rather than my usual oats in a jar.

english muffin with peanut butter

It’s extremely rare for me to switch up my post-run meal but this Rudi’s Organic Spelt English Muffin topped with a mix of Crunch Time Peanut Butter, Trader Joe’s Crunchy Peanut Butter with Flax & Chia Seeds and some cranberry apple jelly hit the spot!

I needed a change of weekday pace for lunch too.

red mango parfait

Red Mango is usually a weekend lunch treat but I just needed it yesterday, you hear me? I needed it.

I didn’t want to look at another salad or vegetable or anything savory of that sort. I wanted my parfait layered all nice with berries, pumpkin flax granola and dark chocolate chips.

It’s not like I miss out on my vegetable servings anyway because I always seem to get them in later in the day.

A peak inside a steam fresh bag of mixed vegetables…

steamfresh vegetables

I really like steam fresh bags of veggies. I heat them up sometimes while dinner is cooking and pick through the mix.

This mix is my favorite – snap peas, broccoli, water chestnuts and carrots. I could do without the carrots but I guess they make it more interesting and colorful.

Let’s just call this another plant-based power bowl for dinner.

plant based power bowl

Roasted brussels sprouts with other vegetables, chick peas, brown rice and avocado. Hummus too!

Dessert was a winner. A real winner.

peanut butter banana snack cake

I ended up with a jar of PB2 in my pantry after telling you I stopped buying it because it was on sale so I figured, like, okay why not?!

The one thing I do love about PB2 is how well it combines with bananas, fresh or frozen.

For this dessert, I mashed a fresh banana, added PB2 with water (don’t ask me how much because I don’t know) plus dark chocolate and a spoonful of crunchy peanut butter.

Warmed in the microwave for a minute and you have some sort of gooey snacking cake.

It’s so simple it’s silly. I can’t even call it a recipe.

Wait, I totally had an apple somewhere in the day too.

apple

Be sure to check out what everyone else is eating today!

What I Ate Yesterday #wiaw #redmango #peanutbutter #plantbased #powerbowl Click To Tweet

**************

Are you a two breakfast eater?

Do you always eat the same thing after your run or do you switch it up?

If you buy steam fresh/frozen vegetables, which mixes are your favorite?

• Miss Polkadot April 1, 2015, 7:07 am

Oookay, you might have just inspired a future snack/dessert idea with that PB2 mix there. I still have some jars of the European brand I got for review sitting around here so thanks for the inspiration! I hardly eat it as is as – like you – I prefer real nut butter. I think you can totally call your mug cake a recipe. Some bloggers thin nut butter out with milk selling it to their readers as an ‘awesome way to create low-cal nut butter’ so …. yes.
    The picking at steamfresh vegetables reminds me of the scenario that’s happened every time for lunch the past days. I happened upon a giant bag of broccoli that had to be used in my parents’ freezer [okay, I was the one buying it when I visited them way back]. After I took out a serving in the basement, I walked back to the kitchen, defrosted the broccoli to start preparing lunch and proceeded to eat almost all of it before I could even add it to the pan. And then I was too lazy to walk back down to get more … (:
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Food Talk Wednesday #1My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 1, 2015, 11:25 am

I saw a watering down of regular peanut butter recipe the other day. I just don’t know about it! I can’t see how it works all that well but maybe?

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma April 1, 2015, 8:15 am

I just bought brussell sprouts and can’t wait to eat them! Let’s hope my stomach feels the same way. I usually mix up what I eat post run but it’s the same basic formula. And awesome with 9 miles, you are on fire lately!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…WIAW – Paleo Eats and a Treat Sneak PeakMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 1, 2015, 11:23 am

I hope your stomach agrees with some sprouts because they are just too good to not be able to eat! I do okay with them, especially if they are the only fresh roasted vegetable on my plate. I mix them with steamfresh – easier on my stomach that way.

• Susie @ SuzLyfe April 1, 2015, 8:22 am

I rest my case–you need to come to Chicago and go to Sable for that salad.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Lyfe Kitchen Chicago Review (Streeterville Opening)My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 1, 2015, 11:22 am

You know, I may just do that. I keep telling Sara that I need to come to Chicago.

• Gretchen | Gretchruns April 1, 2015, 8:32 am

I only have two breakfasts if I go to the gym in the morning. Then, I need something before I go and something right after! That dessert you made sounds delicious. I absolutely love PB2, and I think I’m going to have to try that out!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Monthly Goals : AprilMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 1, 2015, 11:22 am

It’s really good and super easy to make! I will probably have it again tonight.

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine April 1, 2015, 8:53 am

My breakfast(s) kind of depends on what I do that morning. Lately I have only had time for 1. Going to the gym just takes more time than stepping outside for a run. But ideally I do like to eat 2 breakfasts. This morning I had a lara bar and a banana before heading to the gym, and a smoothie after. That seemed to work well but only time will tell because I may be starving in an hour:) Eggs definitely keep me full longer but they take more time, and I didn’t have a chance to make a frittata over the weekend.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…When You Want To Blog But Don’t Feel Like Thinking…My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 1, 2015, 11:21 am

I have gotten so used to two breakfasts that even when I don’t run, I still eat a second breakfast around the same time I would normally eat after a run.

• Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl April 1, 2015, 9:15 am

I love PB2 for cooking and using on top of muffins and such…I love my real PB, but for recipes the powdered version can actually spread around better!
    Alyssa @ Renaissancerunnergirl recently posted…WIAW #4: From PB&J to GourmetMy Profile

• Lindsay April 1, 2015, 9:17 am

I switch back forth between roasted veggies and steamed veggies, but my favorite mix is the same as yours. In Canada it’s called the Asian mix. I love it mostly because of the water chestnuts, which I never feel they give enough of, so I keep cans of sliced chestnuts in the pantry so that I can add more.
    And while I would never eat PB2 on it’s own, I do love it mixed with crunchy peanut butter.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 1, 2015, 11:20 am

I LOVE WATER CHESTNUTS! They never give enough of them, although this last bag had a good amount! I always order a side of extra water chestnuts when we order Chinese food lol.

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 1, 2015, 10:13 am

Definitely a two breakfast kind of girl, and sometimes even 3 if I wake up crazy early. I’m actually thinking that today might end up being one of those days since… omg, 4 AM. And my only requirement for frozen veggie mixes is that they have broccoli. That’s hands down my favourite steamed veggie.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. almond butter protein fudge .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 1, 2015, 11:19 am

Today is turning out to be a hungry morning for me as well, maybe because I was up rather early too!

• Melissa April 1, 2015, 10:18 am

Ooh I love that PB2 dessert! I love PB2 and always just eat it with water and SOMETIMES add in vanilla protein powder and/or honey. Never that concoction though – it looks like a great dessert!
    Also yay for WIAW – i love sharing my eats and seeing what everyone else is having!
    Melissa recently posted…WIAW: Sunday! (Cake for Breakfast)My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 1, 2015, 11:19 am

PB2 definitely has it’s strong points. I don’t like it as a replacement for peanut butter but I do like it for certain recipes!

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 1, 2015, 12:06 pm

That English muffin with PB&J looks so delicious!! I have a craving going for one now… 😉
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday: April 1, 2015My Profile

• Marissa April 1, 2015, 1:23 pm

Yum! Everything looks great. I always buy frozen veggies, but not really mixed veggies. I like broccoli mainly, and peas:)
    Marissa recently posted…WIAW #7: Being PaleoMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 1, 2015, 4:01 pm

I go for the broccoli first too when it comes to frozen. And the frozen Brussels sprouts are great too, not like fresh, totally different but good!

• Lish April 1, 2015, 1:36 pm

Looks like a delicious day of food!
    Lish recently posted…Mrs.My Profile

• Shannon April 1, 2015, 2:33 pm

I love all frozen veggies. They are much cheaper and last longer without having to worry about them getting rotten. I love the asian stir fry mix the best!
    Shannon recently posted…Oats and Honey Granola BarsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 1, 2015, 3:59 pm

I agree. It’s nice to have them in the freezer to use in a pinch or not use for weeks!

• Ashley @ A Lady Goes West April 1, 2015, 4:26 pm

Hi Meredith!
    I’m a creature of habit and always reach for a protein shake after a workout, then a proper meal a couple of hours later. And I’ve never tried PB2, but sounds quite versatile. Nice work on the run! 🙂 Happy WIAW!
    Ashley @ A Lady Goes West recently posted…Smart training nutrition tips and my mealsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles April 2, 2015, 9:12 am

PB2 is definitely versatile. It will never replace peanut butter but it works nice in recipes!

• Arman @ thebigmansworld April 1, 2015, 11:14 pm

Here I come to see purple oats and you let me down..but that’s okay because you totally made up for it with lunch 😉

Frozen veggies here are terrible- wilted and soggy- Although I have a recipe using them next week which I shall dub the meredith 😉
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Easy Sweet Chilli SalmonMy Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets April 2, 2015, 6:52 am

Some days you just need an English Muffin with peanut butter.

Also veggies. Always veggies.