Treadmill Speed Play Workout

I normally like to start my day (after I eat, obviously) with Pure Barre, in the early morning quiet of my living room, before anyone can bother me.

pure barre

Sometimes I pop the Pure Barre DVD in after I run but since I don’t run until my son leaves for school, I do not always have the time to first complete the routine because I need to get moving with my day.

Not to mention, the later I do Pure Barre, the more likely my phone is to ring/beep/bing and that’s just, well, super annoying.

Yesterday morning I woke up with a craving for a speedy run so I skipped the early morning Pure Barre in favor of keeping my legs fresh.

Pure Barre is so non-impact that sometimes I forget that doing the exercises in the early morning before I run may add some fatigue to my legs which can affect my pace without me totally being conscious of it.

When my first mile came in at 8:11, I knew I was in for a good time.

running outside

While Saturday’s long run was pretty awesome, yesterday run was probably the best I have had outside in terms of speed since probably the 10k I ran in November.

I kept to an average pace of 8:10 with the last mile averaging 8:02.

The best part about my pace was that I felt comfortable and capable of staying consistent.

When I run on the treadmill, I certainly hit my 8:00 min/miles and get busy in the 7:00’s but outside, my mind tends to wander off which leads to paces all over the place.

I did so much running this winter on the treadmill though that I like to think all of my speed work on there will naturally carry over for me this spring when running outdoors.

I created the below speed play workout for myself recently when I was running on the treadmill.

At the time, I only wanted to be outside but I found that engaging myself in going faster and then slower, having to control my speed by pressing the buttons up and down and following along with my distance helped me to get into my groove, forget about the outdoors and actually enjoy the fast-paced nature of the run!

Now listen, we all run at difference paces so I want you to find your starting pace and proceed to go up .5 and then down .4.

Each time that you bump yourself up .5 and then back down and then up again, you are slowly increasing your speed throughout the mile.

treadmill speed play workout

My workout looked something like this:

Warm up speed 6.5 – 6.8

.20 – .30 -> 7.3

.30 – .40 -> 6.9

.40 – .50 -> 7.4

.50 – .60 -> 7.0

.60 – .70 -> 7.5

.70 – .80 -> 7.1

.80 – .90 -> 7.6

.90 – 1.0 – > 7.2

Sometimes I like to break the pattern and sprint towards the end of each mile. This is just a guide; feel free to play around with it, go faster or slower, according to how you feel!

As always, do what YOU are comfortable with — it should be challenging, yes, but not to the point where you don’t feel well. If something doesn’t feel right, pay attention to your body and slow it down (it is okay to walk!) or, really, just stop!

Looking for more treadmill running posts?

Beat The Boredom Treadmill Running Series

Treadmill Racing

Mental Thought Process For Treadmill Running – breaking down the mile

Peak In The Life Of A Treadmill Long Run – positive thinking

Treadmill Workout with Progressions

Long Run Pacing For Treadmill

Top 10 Favorite Running Songs- Playlist

Beat The Treadmill Boredom With This Speed Play Workout! #running #speedwork #treadmill… Click To Tweet

********

Does your mind wander off when you run outside and does it affect your pace?

How was your run yesterday?

Do you shut your phone/ignore your phone when you work out? I do not shut it just in case my son needs me but for the rest of the world,  I do not answer unless I am out for an easy run.

• Stacy @ Sweating Tulipz March 24, 2015, 6:29 am

Speed Workouts are the BEST! This one looks great! I used to hate doing them outside or in, but felt pretty bada# when they were done! Great workout! When I used to run outside, I would definitely get sidetracked and would need to keep an eye on my watch to stay conscious of my pace. However, there would be times, like you had today, that I would just be Speedy Gonzales for whatever reason when I was outside…I don’t know if it was stress or adrenaline, but sometimes it would blow me away!

I usually keep my phone in my gym bag or away from me when working out unless I am expecting a client or something is going on that I think maybe my husband will need me. I HATE having to attend to a phone call during a workout but do so in case of emergencies. I am sure if I had a child, I would keep my phone nearby all the time as I would feel like you and want to make sure that if they needed something, I’d be there. Clients tend to cancel last minute, so I like to have it with me when I am predicting a cancellation so I can extend my workout! 😉

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 24, 2015, 5:18 pm

The only time I don’t have my phone during a workout is when I take a Pure Barre class in the studio (which isn’t all that often at all anymore!)

• Suzy March 24, 2015, 6:46 am

For some reason my treadmill runs are way slower than my outside ones. This was the first year that I did speed work on the treadmill and I noticed that my runs wouldn’t drone on and on when I did that, so I now pick the treadmill days for intervals and such!
    Suzy recently posted…Keep It DownMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 24, 2015, 5:17 pm

Agreed – speed work on the treadmill definitely makes the time go much faster!

• Susie @ SuzLyfe March 24, 2015, 7:28 am

Question: how different is the dvd from class? Because I can’t afford the membership, but if I knew that I was getting the same thing from the dvd, I might be tempted to invest.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Intention, Outcome, Irony, Reactions – When Things Go AwryMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 24, 2015, 5:13 pm

My advice is to take a class in studio first (maybe you have tried it already?) and then order the DVD’s. It’s best to learn the technique with the instructor (just my opinion). The videos are the exact same structure and follow the same sequence – warm up/core – > arms -> thighs -> seat -> abs. The videos are slightly shorter but get the job done. Same stretching and same techniques. I did a few specific posts on the topic if you just search Pure Barre on my site or go to the running section at the top (they are listed there) and if you have any questions at all, let me know!

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine March 24, 2015, 7:59 am

I seem to run faster outside than on the treadmill, but I really need to focus on my pace if Im going a specific workout, otherwise yes- my mind does tend to wander! I usually ignore my phone while I am working out. However, when I plank or foam roll I love to scroll through instagram!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Make-Ahead Spaghetti Squash With Turkey MeatballsMy Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma March 24, 2015, 8:16 am

You’ve been training yourself to be faster all along without realizing! I run first and do yoga later, so I have the opposite issue where I’ll feel stronger for yoga when I do it in the morning on non-running days. What an awesome run!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…About Time Chocolate Chip Protein Pancakes & Paleo Fruit and Nut BarsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 24, 2015, 5:08 pm

Really was a great run from start to finish. Wish they could all be that way.

• Shannon March 24, 2015, 12:50 pm

I just started taking Barre classes. They are fun but SOOOO expensive. I will have to look into the DVD versions.
    Shannon recently posted…Buttermilk Spice Muffins (Mimi’s Cafe Copycat)My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 24, 2015, 5:07 pm

So expensive – I agree. I think it’s great to start in the studio to get the basics down and then switch over to the DVD’s to save money and just do it from home! Let me know if you order any of the Pure Barre DVD’s or if you have any questions about them.

• Gretchen | Gretchruns March 24, 2015, 1:08 pm

I love fun treadmill workouts! It makes time go by so much faster. I like how this one goes by distance instead of time. I’ll have to try this out next time I don’t feel like running outdoors 🙂
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…My Day – Night MakeupMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 24, 2015, 5:06 pm

Let me know if you try it and what you think! I never look at the time, I find going by distance, especially on the treadmill, works for me sooo much better.

• Jessie March 24, 2015, 7:29 pm

It’s funny.. I was just telling my husband last night that my desire for running has really decreased since having to switch to low impact workouts prior to pregnancy, and not being able to run throughout my pregnancy. I’ve even been in the process of deciding whether or not to change my blog name. Well today was the first time in a good while that I had an awesome run & felt that love again. Not sure if it’ll stick, but for today I’ll enjoy the feeling.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 25, 2015, 11:13 am

Don’t change your blog name! You still love the run, you do, it will all fall back into place 🙂

• jill conyers March 25, 2015, 4:58 am

Speed play is my favorite way to beat treadmill boredom. Pinning for later 🙂
    jill conyers recently posted…Quick and Easy Spring Veggie BowlMy Profile