TOL – Shopping Is My Cardio

Our Thinking Out Loud host is currently on a beach in Hawaii and while I hope she is having the best time, the selfish side of me really misses talking to her every day.

Amanda is one of my closest friends, even if we have never met in person!

Thinking-Out-Loud

I know I have told you that my dad ran the NYC Marathon three times but my mother? A runner she was never.

I do recall those moments in the early 80’s when I would tag along with her to step aerobics classes and then there was her phase of walking on the treadmill holding two-pound weights in each hand but that’s about it.

Just the other morning I politely reminded her that she needs to take up her daily treadmill walks again as being naturally thin does not make her immune to the need for some sort of daily movement for health purposes.

I also reminded her that women need to strength train too in order to keep the bones strong, especially as we age.

Her response?

Meredith, if you would have seen how many hangers I was carrying ON ONE ARM the other day to the fitting room….

I must admit, she made a funny and wasn’t trying to be funny (she was totally serious) and I am still laughing about it.

And when I checked my email yesterday morning, clearly the topic was still on her mind with the need to prove her point:

Shopping is one of my favorite forms of cardio and from now on, I will start counting it as part of my strength training too.

Speaking of shopping, I did some much-needed damage at the Dior makeup counter the other afternoon.

Dior favorites

I stand by my belief that Dior makes the best eye shadow on the market.

I had stopped wearing Dior for a little bit as I worked on figuring out some of my makeup allergies but have now gravitated back towards the more neutral palettes which involve less of the high pigmented colors and very little shimmer (not to mention, Dior has been removing the parabens from most products which is really important too).

Dior Eye Revivor

This five color palette plus black gel liner (no need to wet a brush!) is called the Eye Reviver for good reason — it totally brightens up your eyes and gives you so many options in terms of how you want to do your makeup!

The eye shadows are so versatile that they work with any eye/skin coloring and give you plenty of variations when creating your day time casual or evening necessary all-done-up look.

Dior shadows glide on and stay on like no other. Trust me. I know these things.

This picture was taken several hours after I applied my makeup the other night and the color on my lips was never re-applied — what you see is Dior’s new Cheek and Lip Glow.

AllSeated party

AllSeated event at Glasshouses NYC.

From Dior’s website:

Using Fresh Color Reveal™ technology, CHEEK & LIP GLOW instantly reacts to the moisture in the skin and lips to give them a luminous custom pink glow. Fresh and ultra-light, its fluid embellishing gel formula blends seamlessly with the skin, leaving nothing but the weightless veil of a healthy glow.

Dior-cheek-and-lip

Not only is it awesome for the high cheek bones, I am really bad about remembering to apply lipstick and gloss so this cheek plus lip combo is perfect.

It literally stays on the entire night, gives you a pop of color without being sticky AND if you put a gloss/lipstick over it, it will help that to stay on nice too!

As bad as I am about applying lipstick, I finally picked up the new coral shade of Dior’s version of chapstick  I mentioned a few weeks ago.

dior lip glow

Referred to as Lip Glow, it’s a lip balm packed with moisture (and SPF) and also brings out some natural color to your lips without making you feel like you are putting on lipstick, which as you can tell from what I have already said, is a big deal to me.

If you have missed my previous makeup/skincare related posts, check out these links:

Winter Skincare Guide

Loving Lately – Beauty Products

Coconut Oil as Moisturizer

New Beauty Finds

Sunscreen Guide

I am off to the city this morning for a meeting but of course I will squeeze in my run first…

….in my new pair of Energy Boosts!

Adidas Energy Boost

Excuse me while I go play with them!

Be sure to check out what everyone else is thinking about today!

Shopping Is My Cardio #thinkingoutloud #shopping #Dior #Dioraddict #EnergyBoosts #makeup #allseated #events Click To Tweet

*****

There are no affiliate links in this post! Just sharing my favorite Dior products and where you can find them.

What color are your eyes? Green!

Do your parents exercise or do you need to remind them?

When you put on makeup, are you more of a heavy on the eye, light on the lip or the other way around? I am all about eye shadow!

• Susie @ SuzLyfe March 19, 2015, 6:41 am

When I was younger, man was I a shopper. Good lord the amount of money that my mom and I could spend, almost scary to think about now! I’m more of an online shopper now–I put a lot of things in virtual carts and never buy them. I’m a weightlifting champ if I am shopping at the grocery store, though!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Social Media Motivation + Nike Training Club ChicagoMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 19, 2015, 4:45 pm

I do the same thing with the virtual carts and sometimes the sites email me to remind me of what I forgot to buy!

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine March 19, 2015, 7:32 am

My mom loves to exercise and takes group fitness classes all the time. There were a bunch of years when I was growing up that she didn’t do any exercise (chasing us around was probably a good enough workout) but she did dance a few years at the same studio where i took lessons. My dad goes through phases with working out…he still works really long hours and we usually have to gently remind him to try to get back to the gym.
    This is a great reminder that I can add shopping as a workout when I don’t feel like swimming:)
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Trying New Things And The Recipe For SuccessMy Profile

• Stacy @ SweatingTulipz March 19, 2015, 8:33 am

You look gorgeous in that picture! I’m sure it’s not just because of the Dior makeup either! 🙂

My eyes are hazel. They can look super green if I throw a plum accent on them…which then people always comment on because I NEVER wear any makeup, so when I do, they don’t recognize me…Yes, it’s bad, I need to change my ways! When I do decide to put it on for the day, it is usually just a shimmer on my lid and mascara! If going out, I will go all out with a darker, smoky eye. It’s all or nothing with this girl! HA!

My mom just got back into exercising. We trained for a marathon together and used to run together ALL the time about 8 years ago. She has gotten off and on the workout train several times, but I am so happy she is going strong working out at least 4 days a week. My dad used to run too, but now just walks…and he too doesn’t do it regularly, I’m trying to push him to join my gym for something to do!

I have to agree with your Mom that shopping is exercise! I think it’s cute that she sent you that and is supporting her argument! Too cute!
    Stacy @ SweatingTulipz recently posted…Increase your Colon Cancer Awareness by Loving your Butt with this WorkoutMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 19, 2015, 4:43 pm

Aw thanks, you are way too kind :)….My eyes turn colors too when I wear different shadows- the plums are the best for bringing out the green!

• Jillie March 19, 2015, 9:08 am

I’ve been hearing so much about that Dior’s Cheek and Lip Glow! I’m not only horrible at reapplying lipstick as well, but I just hate going to the bathroom in order to reapply. I just feel like it’s rude to whip out a mirror and lipstick when you’re out getting drinks/dinner/group setting. To me it’s almost as bad as blowing your nose at the table (okay maybe I’m being a little dramatic). Enjoy your workout in your new super cute sneaks!
    Jillie recently posted…B2B Part 3 – Lunchtime Meal PrepMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 19, 2015, 4:42 pm

You need the Cheek and Lip Glow – I meant it! I really love it. It’s an instant boost to the complexion…It is rude to whip out the lipstick but plenty of people do it!

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma March 19, 2015, 9:26 am

You look so gorgeous in that picture 🙂 I agree shopping is serious cardio, after a long day at the mall my body feels similar to after a longish run, it’s no joke at all! Especially since I tend to walk pretty fast around the big malls because I just want to get to the stores!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Thinking Out Loud – Throwback!My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 19, 2015, 4:41 pm

Thank you, you are too kind! And mall shopping, especially when you try on a ton of stuff, is exhausting!

• Amy @ Mama Running for God March 19, 2015, 10:11 am

I read your mom’s email to my husband. He was not amused! LOL! I love to shop for clothes, especially now that my body is starting to get smaller. However, I don’t wear makeup, so the only reason I go into the makeup section or Sephora at the mall is because my teenage daughter wants to go in. Not that I let her wear it yet, she’s only 13.
    Amy @ Mama Running for God recently posted…Thinking Out Loud Thursday #6My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 19, 2015, 4:40 pm

Haha I love that you showed your husband! I definitely recommend the Dior products, even if you normally don’t wear makeup, they are light enough to hardly notice yet you notice in a good way.

• Sarah @pickyrunner March 19, 2015, 10:16 am

Haha I like your mom’s thinking. The thing is, that’s how I feel like a lot of us should approach exercise. Just daily activity contributing to an active lifestyle in general. Shopping CAN make you really sore when you’re carrying a lot of bags! My mom used to be a runner but now that she just goes for walks everyday, she’s a lot healthier.
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Today’s the day!My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 19, 2015, 4:39 pm

I know that I can’t go shopping for jeans or anything that requires trying on after a long run. I am way too tired to start up another workout.

• Suzy March 19, 2015, 11:11 am

Ha ha! Your mom is awesome. I usually focus on the eyeshadow rather than my lips because my lips are huge and if I made them really stand out, I’d look like a pair of walking lips.
    Suzy recently posted…Woozy Wednesday: RootsMy Profile

• Shannon March 19, 2015, 12:58 pm

I make my mom take walks with me or she would NEVER go!
    Also, trying on clothes is an intense workout 🙂
    Shannon recently posted…Herb Smashed PotatoesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 19, 2015, 4:37 pm

I will agree that shopping for jeans can be a real workout! So exhausting.

• EZTWINS March 19, 2015, 9:20 pm

Always loved your mom 🙂
    She trained us young — remember tying all the clothes together on the shopping runs to annie sez? We always worked up an appetite!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 20, 2015, 1:14 pm

I believe we got in trouble for tying all of the clothing together…Not to mention the time we told your mom that the store was on fire so that she would leave already. I think at some point she believed us? lol. We were so bad in a really behaved way.

• Marissa March 19, 2015, 10:32 pm