Reader Questions Answered!

I was so glad to see yesterday’s post so well received. The comments and emails (which I am still responding to!) are evidence we can all relate to the topic of getting stuck, even if it’s through different life experiences.

Divorce may not be a weekly focal point here on the blog but please feel free to email me if you ever have any questions and, as similar post ideas come to me which I feel we can all benefit from in one way or another, I will be sure to share.

I really do love receiving your emails and I especially enjoy reading and responding to comments!

I thought it would be fun (and informative) if I addressed some of the most popular questions I receive by email since some of you may be out there wondering the same things.

I picked three questions to start with today and figure I can do this every so often, as the questions come in, so feel free to ask me anything!

1. What time exactly do you run every morning?

My average morning run time is 7:30 am which is immediately after my son leaves for school.

For my long runs, which happen most often on Saturdays, I usually begin no later than 7:00 am. (My son is not home Saturday mornings).

In the summer, I sometimes start a little earlier since the sun is up and shining well before 7:00 am.

I never run in the dark. I always wait for daylight and usually stay inside of my community (off main roads) for most of my runs.

running path

2. Do you adjust what you eat when you run more/less miles?

This could be considered a complex question but it’s actually pretty simple:

The more miles I run, the more food I eat, especially in the morning.

Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day and probably the one meal which sees the major increase in size when I run more miles.

oatmeal banana peanut butter

Pre-run and pre-race standard breakfast – oatmeal, banana and peanut butter. The amounts of each component may vary though depending upon my appetite or if it’s a race/long run situation.

My average routine run is now six miles. Last year, it was more like four miles.

Without even checking old WIAW posts, I know for a fact that I am eating more (especially at breakfast) to make up for what I am burning through those extra miles.

I do not need to lose weight and the last thing I need is to lose my period.

It’s super important to remember to eat more, the more you are running, to keep your energy balanced and your body healthy.

Even if you are looking to lose weight, you still need to eat and eat enough for your workouts because not eating enough will only hinder the process and slowly hurt your body (lowered hormone levels, loss of period, slowed metabolism, high risk for injuries…)

If you forget to eat more, your body will remind you in the form of hunger.

You will be beyond ravenous at some point (and low on energy) if you aren’t fueling properly!

I always eat before I run and then again within the 30-60 minute window following a run, regardless of how many miles I covered.

It’s absolutely essential if you want to feel your best and recover your muscles.

oats in a jar

Post run is just about always my favorite oatmeal, peanut butter, greek yogurt and fruit.

I throw in extra of each ingredient when I run more than the average six miles OR if I am feeling super hungry.

Lately I also add Skoop B Strong (protein powder) to the mix or use it in place of greek yogurt.

I never count calories. I find that just taking a bigger serving of whatever it is I would normally eat helps to balance the whole energy in/energy out equation with very little thought involved.

And on days where I run less or don’t run at all, I do not eat less than average!

I am still hungry, my body still needs food and I like to think I am topping off my energy stores for the next day’s workout.

3. Which sneakers are you currently running in?

I love my Adidas Energy Boosts, I think I am on my fifth or sixth pair already!

adidas energy boosts

They are my favorite running shoes without a doubt but I do rotate them with the Hoka Cliftons.

Hokas

I honestly feel blessed (how pathetic am I that I consider this a blessing but I do) to have found two great pairs of running shoes that I can rely on every morning.

The Energy Boosts are my main pair, my go-to race shoe/long run shoe and then have the Hokas come in as recovery run shoes.

I very rarely wear the same pair of running shoes two days in a row which has definitely extended the life of both pairs of sneakers.

What I do want to talk about, perhaps in another post, is which running shoes work best for the treadmill and why.

I do believe there is a difference and we need to talk about it!

If there is anything at all that you wish to ask me or if there is a topic you would love covered or addressed more in detail, please please let me know!

Reader Questions Answered! #running #runningshoes #Adidas #Hokaoneone #oatmeal Click To Tweet

*********

Do you run at the same time everyday?

Do you adjust what you eat when you run more miles?

Are you currently rotating your sneakers? Which do you wear the most?

• Linda @ The Fitty March 11, 2015, 6:43 am

IS THAT PINK PENAUT BUTTER OR
    Linda @ The Fitty recently posted…A (Shameful) Binge Day + Audition Recap {#LIPlinkup #19}My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 12, 2015, 6:39 am

No, I always have oats in a jar. The oatmeal and yogurt turns pink from the berries 🙂

• Taca @ A Side Of Dessert March 11, 2015, 7:13 am

Thank you for sharing! I love when bloggers Q & A. I definitely eat more on my run days and I totally agree with everything you’ve said!
    Taca @ A Side Of Dessert recently posted…WIAW [11-03-15]My Profile

• Susie @ SuzLyfe March 11, 2015, 7:18 am

YOu have to adjust what you are eating for more miles! I definitely have a larger long run breakfast, and my pre marathon breakfast is quite substantial. I am actually about to head out on a run, which will be my first morning run since the marathon. I switch between morning and lunch runs at the moment.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 12, 2015, 6:38 am

I haven’t done a mid day run in a while. Part of me wants to just to see if I could do it!

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine March 11, 2015, 7:29 am

If I am running before work I need to be back by 7ish and even thats a little late and leaves me rushed. So I usually back up from there and figure out what time I need to leave for my run based on how much I am doing.
    I usually just end up adding more to my breakfasts and eating more snacks throughout the day when I am running more.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Back To Normal (WIAW)My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 12, 2015, 6:35 am

It’s a mental hassle squeezing in the workouts in the early morning before work but certainly makes us feel better and ready for the day once it’s done, right? BTW, I was laughing at your comment yesterday that the bites didn’t look as pretty as mine – I am so bad at taking pictures of food and didn’t think they looked that good but you definitely made my day with the comment. Thank you.

• Stacy @ SweatingTulipz March 11, 2015, 7:33 am

Thanks for sharing! I love ‘getting into other workout lover’s heads’! You are on the right track with supplementing your longer distances with more fuel! I tend to not do this (I don’t run, but there are days that I teach 2 or 3 classes + complete my own workout) and I don’t refuel enough. I end up famished the next day eating far too many calories and never feeling satisfied. That is why, for me, food logging is so essential!

Have a great day!
    Stacy @ SweatingTulipz recently posted…Upper Body Pyramid Workout + Crock Pot PartiesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 12, 2015, 6:33 am

So important to keep on eating, especially right after a workout. I feel sick, get a headache and end up with stiff muscles if I don’t eat right after a run.

• Suzy March 11, 2015, 7:38 am

I’m just not a morning runner, although I really wish I was because I would get so much more done during the day if I get my run over with early. I usually run when Callum naps (on the treadmill, or my MIL will come over so I can run outside) and then I always run my long run on Friday nights when my older three kids go to their dad’s for the weekend and Andrew stays with Callum and my step-kids! Complicated, yes, but it works for me! And Asics Nimbus all the way baby! For years and years.
    Suzy recently posted…Woozy Wednesday: There’s No Thinking Outside the BoxMy Profile

• Ashlee March 11, 2015, 7:50 am

I would do anything to run in the mornings but I have to leave for work at 630 in the morning so I can’t wake up at 4 AM to workout even though I wish I could. I rotate between Cumulus and Nimbus both Asics. I got a nasty stress fracture a year ago and now am crazy about rotating my sneaks and also replacing them vert often. I am actually coming back from another injury, but went hard cross training so going back to my 35-40 miles a week has been good 🙂 I can’t wait for it to get warmer out and the snow to melt so I can run outside again.

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma March 11, 2015, 8:08 am

As you know I’m pretty hooked on my 6am run time, or 5:30 if I’m training. No other way to feel normal for me and I like getting other things done while my kids are in school. I wonder if my kids would eat pink oatmeal? They are against “mushy” things lately, even bananas but maybe the pink would help! And you know you’re a runner if you feel “blessed” to have found the perfect shoes 😉
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…A Day In the Life WIAWMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 12, 2015, 6:31 am

They would totally eat pink oatmeal! Ha. Just add frozen berries — it will turn it pink (or purple if you involve a lot of blueberries)…I use the frozen berry blend from Trader Joe’s….I love my morning routine too, the earlier the better for me when it comes to running.

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 11, 2015, 8:36 am

I definitely adjust what I’m eating when I’m more active. Maybe not so much with running now since I’m not doing that many miles, but on weekends I go away snowboarding? I’m basically a bottomless pit and want to eat ALL the foods. It can actually be a little annoying. But you’re right about keeping energy up and not wanting to lose your period. After going through all that nonsense, I’m not willing to risk it again.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. flourless morning glory muffins .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 12, 2015, 6:29 am

You and me both. I hate the inconvenience every 28 days but keep things on track keeps the rest of our body healthy and on track.

• Gretchen | Gretchruns March 11, 2015, 8:53 am

I love these types of posts! They’re so fun to learn more about the person behind the blog.

I run at different times depending on what’s going on in my life. In the summer I try to run before work (around 6:00), otherwise I run right after I get home (5:00). If I run at the gym I wait a bit longer so I can watch primetime TV. On the weekends I just run when the weather looks the best!

I’m currently rotating between Brooks Ravenna 5 and Asics Gel-Kayano. I just got a new pair of Brooks yesterday though, so I’ll swap those for my current Brooks!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…Wednesday Reviews: StitchfixMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 12, 2015, 6:29 am

I love a new pair of sneakers. I never wore the Ravenna but I have one pair of Glyercins and did wear the Kayano’s briefly until they told me I didn’t need so much of the structure (stability shoe, right?)

• Salt March 11, 2015, 8:53 am

Hey we rotate the same shoes! I have quite a few that I use now, but my go tos are my Boosts and my Clifton!
    Salt recently posted…Surf’s up and spin class in furry boots at Beachfit Baltimore!My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 12, 2015, 6:28 am

How funny is that?! It’s rare to find someone who rotates two of the same model shoes! Just love them both. Love.

• Shannon March 11, 2015, 10:06 am

I have always been a fan of Asics. I gravitate towards them every time I need new shoes!
    Shannon recently posted…Steamed Asian DumplingsMy Profile

• Jillie March 11, 2015, 1:48 pm

I run at very different times every single day. A lot of it is my unpredictability of my job as well as wanting to make sure that I’m running in daylight. I live in a city, so I want to make sure I’m running when there is enough light and other runners around for safety! It’s kind of frustrating to not feel like I’m on a schedule yet. If only the sun would come up sooner otherwise I would try to run around 6AM or so.
    Fave pre-running meal lately has been a sweet scramble – 2 eggs, coconut milk and a mashed banana with some nuts/berries/nut butter on top! It’s pretty much oatmeal 🙂
    Jillie recently posted…Thai Curry Butternut Squash SoupMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 12, 2015, 6:27 am

That breakfast sounds delicious! I have made something like it before and yes, it ends up like an oatmeal! I hear you on running when others are around for safety- I do the same thing even though I don’t run on main roads. I won’t run in the dark or when the area is quiet and deserted.