Jeans Can Lie – NEDA Week

Did you see this awesome article from Runner’s World about runners and jeans?

I had been wanting to talk about jeans again recently and seeing this article made all of my thoughts come together.

They always say that jeans can’t lie but lately I am convinced that just like the scale, they most certainly can.

jeans-can-lie-quote

I don’t own a scale. If I were to step on a scale right now, I wouldn’t know if the number was up or down from the last time since I can’t remember when the last time I weighed myself was or even what it said.

Instead of monitoring my weight with a scale, I figured my jeans were a good enough method of checking in with myself every so often but lately that method is becoming ridiculous the more I think about it!

I consistently run 40+ miles a week which I think is like 10 or even 15 miles more on average than where I was a year ago and Pure Barre has become a five-day a week habit which I adore as much as my morning coffee.

Both of those activities have helped to shape my figure into a slightly more muscular and toned version which I absolutely love.

Yet while muscular and toned is what we want, it does change how your clothes will fit.

The jeans I have been checking in with sometimes feel different. They still fit but they fit differently and I don’t like it.

No. That’s not it. What I don’t like is the mindset I begin to have when I think my jeans fit different.

I quickly realized that this thought-process was just unacceptable and dumb.

I love how I look and how I feel. I don’t need my jeans from before I ran this much to make me feel as though I “gained weight” because that is so far from the truth.

This coincides nicely with National Eating Disorder Awareness Week (NEDA).

Although I have never suffered with an eating disorder, I did have my time with amenorrhea which stemmed from not eating enough for what my body required.

I love my post from NEDA week last year. Click here if you missed it; I go into more depth about eating disorders, running and amenorrhea.

Even if you have never personally dealt with an eating disorder or disordered eating (although I think we ALL suffer from some form of disordered eating even if it isn’t harming us), it can happen out of nowhere and spiral out of control before you know it which is something I am really conscious of and do my best to avoid.

I really like my muscles. I may struggle pulling some jeans over my calves but those calves keep me running and running makes me happy.

And my Jewish thighs which sometimes rebel against the denim? They have more shape and definition than I ever could have imagined. I thank Pure Barre for that.

Of course I could give up some of my miles in favor of losing muscle and having my jeans hang on me but that’s not what I want.

What I want and need is simple — new jeans!

The skinny stretchy kind that fit my shape now, not my pairs from five years ago that sit too low on my hips, slide down as I walk yet touch my thighs more than I want to feel.

jeans

I found two new pairs of jeans recently (from ruby and jenna <- love this store) and I just love how they fit and how I feel when I wear them.

What I love even more though is that I am starting fresh, no longer slipping on my older pairs as if I am monitoring changes.

IMG_9740

I have no replacement for monitoring my size anymore. And I have decided that I do not need one.

The media overwhelms us into believing that only when our clothes get looser have we achieved some sort of happy balanced body status.

size doesn't matter quote

I get my period like clockwork which is my body’s way of telling me every month that I am doing A-Okay.

No pair of jeans is going to mess with that.

Jeans Can Lie - NEDA Week #NEDA @runnersworld #jeans Click To Tweet

Have you noticed that your jeans fit differently from running/working out?

Do you own a scale?

If you wrote a post for NEDA week, feel free to share the link in the comments!

• Suzy February 24, 2015, 6:08 am

NICE. Like this post. I’ve got a long torso and yes, a muscular bum/legs and so it’s forever been a problem to find jeans that fit me properly. Rawr! American Eagle jeans are the WORST for my body type. Silver (the brand, not the colour…eeep!) are good ones.
    Suzy recently posted…Back-FlipsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 24, 2015, 12:01 pm

What’s even more frustrating is no two pairs even from the same brand in the same size and style are ever alike! I am always having to try them on, even when I think I know what I like.

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine February 24, 2015, 6:22 am

Isn’t it so freeing to not worry about weight or how clothes fit? I’ve found lately that when you are eating food thats good for you and staying physically active everything else will fall into place. I do have a scale but its tucked away in the back of my bathroom cabinet. I used to keep it out years ago but I realized it drove me crazy when i would feel the need to step on it each morning! So I stopped…and finally realized there was no point in even keeping it out.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Tried It Tuesday: Pilates and Reflex FitnessMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 24, 2015, 12:00 pm

So true and exactly how I feel- if we are eating healthy foods most of the time and staying active, there’s no need to monitor and things just fall (and remain) in place.

• Susie @ SuzLyfe February 24, 2015, 6:49 am

I think that if you clothes don’t fit differently, then you are doing something wrong! But I do relate to the stuffed sausage feeling–that is where I have been of late. But I also know that it will change after the marathon, and then the booty that I worked so hard for is going to slim down some. I have always been a tough fit in clothes–when I rode, I had quite a lower body, and I am thick waisted by nature. So for me to base my entire mentality off of how a pair of jeans fits? That is like getting mad at myself because I can’t run the mileage that you are!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Common Yoga Mistakes Clinic–Conclusion and Best PracticeMy Profile

• Taca @ A Side Of Dessert February 24, 2015, 7:41 am

What a beautiful and inspiring post, thank you!!! I totally agree with each and every word you wrote. A scale or jeans should not be an indicator of how healthy you are. Everyone knows their body and if you’re eating healthy and exercising than there is no need to fuss over the scale and jeans. Thank you for sharing this beautiful post with us!!
    Taca @ A Side Of Dessert recently posted…Things that make me happy!My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 24, 2015, 11:59 am

I am glad you liked the post 🙂 Totally agree with you – we each know our own body and know if we are eating healthy for ourselves and exercising as we should.

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables February 24, 2015, 7:46 am

I love this! Honestly, the scale, jeans fitting, etc. they’re all kind of like ways of putting yourself in a box and saying this is the only way you’re acceptable. But there is so much more to it! Be healthy! Get strong! But don’t stress about a jean size or a number on a scale 🙂

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma February 24, 2015, 8:06 am

Scale and jeans – they’re both measurements and ways to judge! Maybe that’s why I’m happier in spandex everyday 🙂 I agree with you that at least amongst who I know, everyone seems to have some degree of “disorder” or body image/eating issues even if they’ve never had a serious eating disorder. It’s really encouraged by our culture so it’s not surprising at all. After 3 pregnancies I have jeans in many many sizes so at least I can always find something that fits!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Running and Anxiety Part III – Staying HealthyMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 24, 2015, 11:57 am

I live in my leggings! So comfortable! Nothing beats my $3 pairs from Forever 21.

• Sarah @pickyrunner February 24, 2015, 10:45 am

Yep, you know I relate to this. I wear jeans way less than I used to and prefer dress pants (like chinos) surprisingly because they fit looser. I don’t own a scale and the last time I was weighed my weight was about 10 pounds higher than I remember it being last, but I think it has also stabilized since then. I don’t want what I wear or what I weigh to affect how I feel about myself, so I don’t weigh myself and I buy new clothes when things don’t fit the way I want them to anymore. I know I’m healthier than I’ve ever been right now and that’s all that matters. I am checking out these two brands of jeans you mentioned though because it is SO FREAKING HARD to find pairs that fit my very muscular legs. I can thank my dad’s side of the family for that…
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…FlexibilityMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 24, 2015, 11:55 am

I really love these new jeans. They are both super soft and comfortable and fit true to size (the waist slides a bit but that’s what happens to me no matter what I think)…And they are not expensive at all! Compared to what I normally by, I find these to be just as nice and over half the price.

• Emma @ Em-powered Wellness February 24, 2015, 1:09 pm

When I started lifting weights, I stopped fitting into all my pants…and some of my shirts too. It has taken me a while to become okay with that, but now I realize I look stronger and more fit. It totally is all about your mindset!
    Emma @ Em-powered Wellness recently posted…Superfood Sunday: WheatgrassMy Profile

• Sara @ Lake Shore Runner February 24, 2015, 2:24 pm

Thank you for writing this Meredith! Very insightful. My you know what has been vacant for a bit of time and it is starting to worry me. I had no idea about amenorrhea – good to know and something I am going to bring up to my doctor. My mom has been wanting me to go.
    Sara @ Lake Shore Runner recently posted…Tried it Tuesday #15: Single Serving Chicken Stuffed PepperMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 25, 2015, 6:34 am

I am glad we talked about this, let’s keep in touch by email on it 🙂

• niki fahey February 24, 2015, 6:07 pm

I am wondering how you get your information or know about eating disorders. Can I ask if you have struggled, taken classes or other ways of learning? I really like your blog
    thanks
    Nikki

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 25, 2015, 6:33 am

No, I have never had an eating disorder but I had amenorrhea. I guess from that experience I learned a lot through research. I read a lot of blogs and also learned a lot about nutrition for sports performance while studying for my professional certificate in the same area. If you are looking for more info, I shared some links in the post (through the link from last year’s NEDA post). Let me know if you have any questions, I can try to guide you towards the information you may be seeking.

• niki fahey February 25, 2015, 10:05 pm

Thank you. I was just curious. I have struggled for years and know more resources than I should. It just seems like this week only there is a lot of focus and I am just trying to figure out who is genuine:) I like you and your blog because you are “real”
        thanks
        nik

• Stacy @ Sweating Tulipz February 24, 2015, 9:12 pm

I totally love this post! Jeans sometimes suck all the high and positivity that I had from my great week of working out and eating right when they are tighter than normal and make me feel ‘fat’ or ‘tighter than they did before’. I have very muscular legs (and everything else) and it can really be a confidence basher shopping for jeans. Hence, I stick to leggings and workout clothes as much as possible! haha! Great post and great outlook!
    Stacy @ Sweating Tulipz recently posted…50 Shades and 50 Reps WorkoutMy Profile

• Lauren February 25, 2015, 10:03 am

Just came across your blog and LOVE this post so much. I’ve changed up my workout routine over the past year or so and while I feel more fit, putting on a lot of my jeans and pants has made me want to cry because they just fit differently and of course the first thought is WHY AM I FAT I NEED TO QUIT EATING and really, it’s just more muscle and the results of more focused workouts (and probably better nutrition). so again, thank you. This post seriously brightened my day and has encouraged me to just get rid of the pants that make me sad and get some that fit better 🙂

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 25, 2015, 10:21 am

I’m so glad you found me and can relate to what I was saying! It’s a crazy thing those jeans – they can really play with your head. More muscle for me has meant those jeans just fit so different! I am not bulky but my shape has changed every so slightly which seems magnified when I pull those pants on! Its a confusing thing until you stop to realize there’s nothing wrong – we just need new jeans! Or really, just to get used to how the pants now fit but no one enjoys that “different” feeling and for me, I cannot stand my pants sliding down or clinging to my thighs.

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 25, 2015, 3:28 pm

I can very much relate to this… only my leg muscles come from snowboarding more so than running. But it’s honestly been a while since I’ve actually worn a pair of jeans, mostly because I find them uncomfortably stiff and awkward. It’s super hard for me to find a pair that actually fit properly, too, so I usually just give up and go the comfort route instead.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. secret ingredient chocolate smoothie .My Profile

• Kaylin @ Enticing Healthy Eating February 25, 2015, 6:15 pm

Just keeping this brief, because so many others have stolen basically what I would love to say in comments and reply to this article…but basically it’s just brilliant. And you’re brilliant for writing it! I love it!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles February 26, 2015, 12:05 pm

Aww you are the sweetest! Thank you, I am glad we can relate on the subject!

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets February 26, 2015, 1:19 pm

Agreed. I believe when you no longer like the message your jeans are sending, then it’s time to buy new jeans.

• Erin@BeetsPerMinute March 1, 2015, 6:27 pm

I have been making myself so upset over this for months. It’s so silly and frustrating. I always think I have worked out so hard and been “pretty” good about eating well and then a week later I feel like the jeans are TIGHTER. ARGH! It is ridiculous, and I should know better, but it seems to be the “go-to” mental response, unfortunately. Thanks for posting this – it’s really great!
    Erin@BeetsPerMinute recently posted…That time I had to learn how to spell again : Thursdays are for Thinking Out Loud.My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles March 3, 2015, 5:41 pm

Jeans can be tough as most structured clothes can be, especially when our bodies change from exercise. It’s not always weight gain that changes things which is what we need to remember.

• Bethany @ Athletic Avocado October 4, 2015, 8:21 pm

AMEN SISTA! This article is incredibly insightful and just what I (and my muscular legs) need to hear!
    Bethany @ Athletic Avocado recently posted…Cranberry Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate {Vegan + Paleo}My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 5, 2015, 5:36 am

Thank you 🙂 I often keep this post in my mind as I pull my jeans over my calves or notice they fit differently in the thigh area. Muscles will do that to you!