What We Ate Snow Day

Because you want to know what I look like when I shovel snow…

snow day

I originally thought that this weeks What I Ate Wednesday would be about what I ate yesterday while in the city for an event but of course that event was postponed due to the blizzard.

So instead let’s just look at what we have been eating while in the house over the last few days…

WHAT-I-ATE-WEDNESDAY-NEW-BUTTON-PEAS-AND-CRAYONS

Breakfast has officially seen the return of my three-ingredient pancake on an every morning basis.

My flipping skills are slowing improving back to where they used to be.

three ingredient pancake

Topped with peanut butter and a drop of Trader Joe’s Cranberry Apple Jelly.

I like to bake when it snows so early yesterday morning I whipped up these blueberry-loaded blueberry muffins which my son had for breakfast when he finally rolled out of bed.

blueberry loaded muffins

We ate them warm with peanut butter. Might Maple peanut butter. Delicious. Muffin recipe to come.

I had Red Mango over the weekend which you may have seen on instagram and I am sitting here sorry that I didn’t take home a pint of their original yogurt to have for lunch this week.

red mango

Gosh I just love a good Red Mango parfait. Sometimes I make a parfait at home using greek yogurt but it’s just not the same effect as the frozen yogurt kind.

Instead I relied the last few days on my usual power bowl-type lunch with the ingredients I had on hand.

power bowl

Roasted sweet potatoes wedges, brussels sprouts, spinach and tomatoes with chick pea/avocado mash.

Looks like I am eating special tomatoes this week.

plum tomato

And I keep dipping everything in this hummus.

tomato basil hummus

I tried not to keep refilling my coffee mug with coffee so I alternated with decaf Yoga tea.

yogi tea

Yogi Kava Stress Relief is my favorite flavor.

I bought a spaghetti squash at Whole Foods over the weekend because my son requested it.

produce

He saw some Rachel Ray segment on television and decided he needed what they were eating and whatever it was they were eating, including spaghetti squash.

spaghetti squash

I don’t know for sure what her recipe was but I roasted the squash and made him baked chicken parmesan.

The green stuff you see on his plate is sugar snap peas. It’s the only green vegetable he will voluntarily eat so I make sure to get them on his plate.

I want to share my breading recipe with you soon since I don’t use traditional bread crumbs.

I figured I would attempt to finally make the black bean brownies  yesterday but my son decided HE wanted to bake something, as in, by himself.

It was not easy to give up control of my kitchen (I handled the oven) but I let him make flourless peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, a recipe I first learned from Jen over at Peanut Butter Runner.

peanut butter chocolate chip cookies

He had picked a different peanut butter cookie recipe which involved flour and butter.

I politely forced this recipe on him instead because these flourless peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are so delicious that I can’t see why one would bother to add the extra ingredients.

Speaking of peanut butter and chocolate, I grabbed this cereal the other day at Whole Foods.

organic 365 peanut butter and cocoa balls

I am not a big cereal eater at all but I felt like we could use it as another snack option.

The fun continues all over again since school is closed another day. We should be able to get out though, it’s not snowing anymore and the roads should be decent a little later this morning.

Be sure to check out what everyone else is eating today!

*************

If it snowed by you, how much snow did you get?

Are you a regular cereal eater?

Favorite green vegetable?

• Tina Muir January 28, 2015, 6:42 am

It didnt snow, and I LOVED that! I am enjoying this milder winter in KY, but I have become a little soft…..its not THAT much warmer, but I am dodging the cold. I think I love your son…..what son says that!? SO cool, and that means you can experiment with whatever. Steve will try my experiments with healthy meals, and he will eat them, but I doubt he would ever request them! Have a wonderful day!
    Tina Muir recently posted…Back to the Beginning; Form Change UpdateMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 28, 2015, 1:03 pm

We are in a terrible winter pattern right now of frigid and snow frigid and snow for like the next two weeks. I won’t see an outdoor run for who knows how long!

• Susie @ SuzLyfe January 28, 2015, 7:00 am

I love the pb and chocolate balls. So much. I blame pb puffins as well. And is there anything better on a snowday (in the morning) than fresh muffins and pancakes? I think not!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…A10 Hyde Park Review–A New Chicago Favorite #WIAWMy Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 28, 2015, 8:27 am

I seriously had a good laugh over the limited edition tomatoes. I wonder what makes them so special… And you know I’m pretty big on the cereal. It’s gotten to the point where I have around 6 or 7 boxes going at once because I like a little bit of variety in y life 😆 And broccoli or baby spinach would be my greenies of choice.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. vegan chocolate chip banana bread oatmeal cookies .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 28, 2015, 1:02 pm

I still don’t know what was so limited edition about the tomatoes but I got a real good laugh.

• Tamara @ A Side Of Dessert January 28, 2015, 8:57 am

Everything looks absolutely delicious! I especially like the power bowl!
    Tamara @ A Side Of Dessert recently posted…Fashion Post: Snow calls for oversized sweaters!My Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma January 28, 2015, 9:27 am

Your son is one lucky little guy! Homemade blueberry muffins, chicken parm, pb/choc cereal AND a mom who lets him make his own cookies? That’s pretty freaking awesome! I’m glad we only had one snow day, good luck with today!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Pre-Race Food + Easy Paleo and Low FODMAP MeatloafMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 28, 2015, 1:01 pm

Can you believe school was closed today?! I figured just a delay. Ah well. Tomorrow should be a regular day.

• Jessie January 28, 2015, 10:09 am

Since things are open now in the city, I suggest you go get your red mango parfait 🙂

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 28, 2015, 11:20 am

That hummus and the cereal are both SO good! I need to buy both again soon!
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…Blueberry Cornbread Pancakes (Vegan) for National Blueberry Pancake Day!My Profile

• Sara @ Lake Shore Runner January 28, 2015, 11:26 am

I can not wait for that loaded blueberry muffin recipe!! Also, good to know Whole Foods still has spaghetti squash. My Trader Joe’s said they will not have until next season 🙁

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 28, 2015, 12:59 pm

My trader joes was out of it too. I was happy to see that Whole Foods had it and it wasn’t even expensive. These muffins are terrific, we are going to make another batch already (and they are healthy too).

• Suzy January 28, 2015, 11:28 am

I love love LOVE cereal but I hardly ever eat it for breakfast. It’s usually for a snack, or I’ll gobble up a bowl of it in the middle of the night when I’m up nursing the baby. When I was a teenager I would put back almost an entire box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch when I got home from school.
    Suzy recently posted…Woozy Wednesday: A Different Kind of PRMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 28, 2015, 12:57 pm

I admit that I used to doze off while nursing in the middle of the night. It was so so hard to be up for those feedings! ugh.

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables January 28, 2015, 11:46 am

Hahaha who knew that limited edition tomatoes were a thing? 😉

I hope you guys are staying warm!

• Jess @hellotofit January 28, 2015, 1:42 pm

No snow for us here in Charlottesville! Love Red Mango 🙂 my favorite green veggie might be broccoli…
    Jess @hellotofit recently posted…Impress your friends with these simple desk exercises: Part 1My Profile

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine January 28, 2015, 2:35 pm

That is too funny that he requested spaghetti squash! But good for him. I have always loved broccoli. Even when I was the pickiest eater that was the one “healthy” food I liked. I am pretty sure I started liking it because my grandmother used to make it in melted butter.
    I also love baking on snow days!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Whole30 Breakfasts (#WIAW)My Profile

• Stacy @ sweating tulipz January 28, 2015, 10:30 pm

I love spaghetti squash! I buy 2 every shopping trip! Your son has good taste! 😉 We got 8 inches here in Pittsburgh…not so bad at all! I like cereal, but never buy it. The whole keep re-filling my bowl until the milk is gone, then add more milk because I have cereal left, gets me every time and I end up eating way over my recommended amount! haha! Those cookies do look great! As far as my favorite green veggie goes, it’s a toss up between spinach, broccoli, kale, Brussels sprouts, and asparagus! Enjoy another snow day!
    Stacy @ sweating tulipz recently posted…Full Body WorkoutMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 29, 2015, 2:30 pm

I love roasted broccoli but gosh I really love roasted Brussels sprouts, eat them every day.

• Miss Polkadot January 29, 2015, 5:20 am

It sounds like your son was boss when it comes to food decisions in your house OR your just the best mum ever allowing him to pick. I’ll go with the latter – so sweet! (:
    If we had any decent [read: neither sugary ‘unhealthy’ nor cardboard box-like ‘healthy’] cereals over here I’d likely eat them by the box. I can only dream of the choices you have.
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…The secrets to great blog posts? [+ my struggles with them]My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 29, 2015, 2:29 pm

My son makes some food decisions and luckily his decisions are always good ones!

• jill conyers January 29, 2015, 5:43 am

While making my lunch for today last night I was thinking hummus is one of the best foodie inventions ever! Awesomeness in so many dishes 🙂
    jill conyers recently posted…She’s Losing It Review and GiveawayMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 29, 2015, 2:28 pm

I go through phases where I don’t eat hummus for months and then phases where I dip and add it to everything!