Snow Day & An Elliptical Workout

I really wanted to measure the snow for us using my Hello Kitty ruler but I couldn’t open my front door just now because the snow is blown up against it.

snow day

My car makes it seem so simple, like flipping a switch can turn the snow and off but it can’t.

snow button

I was hoping to be able to squeeze in just one more outdoor run before the blizzard hit yesterday morning but it started snowing the powdery-type stuff ten minutes before I was to head out the door.

Powdery snow is slippery snow and not worth it to me so the treadmill it was.

I know we talk a lot lately about learning to embrace the treadmill and making it work for us but during the winter, when I am in the gym more than outside, I can only do so much treadmill running.

I try to cross train with the elliptical machine at least once a week on a regular basis but during this time of the year, I use it even more often to mix up the repetitiveness of running in place over and over.

under armour shoes

I think you already know that I don’t run a lot of hills at all.

Maybe I should more often but I find that I don’t struggle as much as one would expect during hilly race courses and the only thing I can attribute this to is the work I do on the elliptical machine.

I like to crank up the resistance.

It certainly makes it difficult to pedal but I remain convinced that all of that cranking and focusing on those tough hill climbs has strengthened my legs and given them some running-hill ability WITHOUT actually running hills on a more regular basis.

This elliptical workout will keep you engaged because you are pressing the resistance button up or down every minute.

You will gradually climb all the way up and then all the way back down.

As you go up, your pace will slow and then as you come down, you will pick it up again, just like when you run hills.

I like to set the machine to the random course setting which handles the up and down pattern of the incline for you. I hope your machine has that setting too, it’s my favorite.

elliptical workout

If you are trapped inside the gym this week and are looking for more cardio workouts, here are a few more:

Mix It Up In The Gym Workout  – so many different things to do in order to keep moving and prevent boredom

Indoor Cardio Workout

Make It Through A Mile On The Treadmill

Treadmill Pacing – Long Run

Treadmill Pacing – With Progression

Cardio Burn Elliptical Workout

Elliptical Machine Tips

I think it’s just a Pure Barre DVD morning for me. I can’t get out the front door!

************

Are you in the blizzard zone? How much snow do you have?

Do you use the elliptical machine often?

Do you run hills on a regular basis?

Comments

1. says

I really don’t like the elliptical but I do notice that if I use it correctly with incline and resistance that I get a good glute workout. I should probably make better use of the elliptical when Im at the gym and not feeling the treadmill! I hope that you can get out your front door at some point! It can be fun to be snowed in but I’ve found it gets old really fast:)
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Lessons From My Toughest Races + Class Pass in Baltimore!My Profile

• says

Exactly. I am thrilled in the morning of a snow day but by 2:00 pm, I have had it! Hoping we can get out tomorrow….I have really learned to like the elliptical but sometimes I wonder if it’s just because I like the model we have in my gym right now. Some of them aren’t so good/comfortable.

2. says

I like this workout- it changes every minute and that’s SO my style. Working out on machines can be boring if you don’t mix it up! I will definitely try this next time I’m on the elliptical. Thankfully, we are not in the path of the storm/snow. I do run a lot of hills but ONLY when the weather is good..when it’s not I am mainly on the treadmill.

3. says

This whole blizzard thing turned out to be one big letdown in Baltimore. Hopefully you’re not totally slammed up there but I know there’s still a little bit more time! I’m at the point now where walking to/from work and around Baltimore is my cross training so I have pretty much stopped doing anything else (elliptical, spinning, etc) and just stick to rest days when I’m not running.
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…In this moment…My Profile

4. says

Ohhhh that super SUCKS about all that snow. UGH. I have never once tried the elliptical machine. Crazy, eh? That treadmill progression video looks like a good plan to shake things up a bit. I’ll check it out. Hope the snow goes away asap.
    Suzy recently posted…Yada Yada YadaMy Profile

5. says

We got a snow day but it wasn’t nearly as bad as expected and my husband is already done shoveling. Best of both I guess – a day off for everyone and I can get back out and run tomorrow without walls of snow above my head 🙂 The elliptical was my best friend when I was injured, but I try to avoid it unless I really need it!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…NYRR Fred Lebow Manhattan Half RecapMy Profile

6. says

We’re getting to a point where we’re dangerously, dangerously low on snow. Like there are patches of grass showing everywhere, which is completely foreign to us in January. I’m still not sure whether I love it or whether it’s freaking me out 😆 But I do agree that the gym is the best place when nasty weather hits. I’ve known people who run outside in -25C weather, and I’m just like… but… but how 😯
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. link love 1/25 .My Profile

• says

You can have some of my snow. Gladly give it to you…I don’t know when I will run outside again. They are clearing the path but it will be so so cold that I don’t want to encounter ice or even deal with super frigid temps. Not worth it.

7. says

Super cute blog!!! And, I am in Pittsburgh! So we only got about 6 inches of snow….I am slightly jealous of those in blizzard territory! I am craving a big storm!!!! I use to LOVE the elliptical…now, not so much! not sure why!
    Jessica @Myhealthypassion.com recently posted…The SkimmMy Profile

8. says

hahaha! I wish life was like the switch in your car! We only got about 8 inches, thankfully not as much as you! I don’t use the elliptical much because it bothers my ankles…but I love workouts where you are changing something every minute…they FLY by! Stay warm and safe!
    stacy @ Sweating Tulipz recently posted…Don’t Give UpMy Profile

9. says

Eek! Even though I grew up in the Northeast, I definitely do not care about missing these type of snow storms. Stay bundle up & grab a mug of hot chocolate.. with a swirl of peanut butter added in 🙂

10. says

THE ELLIPTICAL IS MY BITCH! I use it EVERY SINGLE DAYYYYYY!!! 😀 😀 😀 Im in loveeee lol!!!

AND HA HA HA ! If only you could SWITCH THE SNOWSTORM OFF! 😉