Taking It Too Seriously

The weather people are telling me to take the blizzard warning that is currently in effect super seriously.

groceries

Aside from getting the food shopping done, I am doing my best to not over think the possibility of three feet of snow, school being closed and crazy cabin fever.

Taking things too seriously really can lead to over thinking which leads to pressure and pressure can cause all sorts of self-inflicted maybe-not-necessary trauma and the development of that push-pull pattern which I don’t like at all.

As you may know, I don’t like to share my dessert. I want the good stuff for myself and I often take it too seriously.

I don’t want just a small bite, a sliver or a dinky little excuse for chocolate cake and I most certainly don’t want you asking to share or for a taste for you may decide to eat the really good parts and those were the parts I wanted and now you ruined it.

My son sees how serious I take this so on purpose, he will attack my plate.

mud pie

I push what I want and he pulls it away from me.

I am slowly learning that if I stop taking it so seriously, he stops taking it so seriously and stays away from my cake.

If I don’t push, he doesn’t pull.

Are you familiar with this push-pull theory, like often seen in situations between Mars and Venus?

You know, the woman pushes,  the man pulls away?

She pushes with questions, the needing to know, the harping, nagging, making everything really serious, he feels the pressure, wants no part and pulls back.

And of course I am now going to associate this push-pull theory with running too.

In my head, the pressure that was pushing in me, just knowing I would have to complete my long run on the treadmill over the weekend was pulling me away from the workout.

It was too much pressure to think I would be in one place for so many miles so I switched my long run to Friday in order to run outdoors instead.

With a decent long run accomplished Friday, pressure was off for Saturday.

And with the pressure off, I felt amazing and ran 11 miles on the treadmill anyway Saturday morning simple because I felt like it.

Last year when I had to drop out at mile seven during the Fitness Magazine Half, I seriously traumatized myself for the next race on my calendar, the Long Island Half, which was only three weeks later.

fitness mag half

I was afraid I would feel faint again and when I combined that with the pressure to run the Long Island Half against my PR from the year before, I pulled away from myself and my ability to run.

Going into that Long Island Half, I am now convinced that the pressure overtook me and kept me from just running my race, even though I thought that was exactly what I was doing.

Of course I ran it cautious, I needed to see that I could race without feeling sick yet at the same time, I think I used that as an excuse to pull away from the pressure I had on myself to finish under 1:45.

I am not the first to talk about the pressures we put on ourselves and how much better it may be for us to lighten up.

Tina has spoken a lot about this recently too.

Overall in life, of course we need to be serious about certain things, motivate ourselves and push a bit but maybe not always on such an intense level.

Finding the right amount of serious, balanced with that go with the flow and ease up the heck up mentality is not easy.

I don’t even have the answers for you right now as to how to go about it.

I mean, I am just some girl in New York who writes and runs a lot while eating obscene amounts of peanut butter, oatmeal and cake.

I am no expert, (except in the area of dessert) but really, what do the experts know. They don’t know you personally.

Only you know yourself.

I know I do better with less pressure but sometimes, if you don’t push for what you want, if you hold back too often, you may actually lose what is possible.

So I guess what I am trying to say here, what I am trying to figure out for myself, is how to apply pressure where and when appropriate or at the very least, learn how to accept the pressure and operating successfully under the circumstances.

It seems I will have a lot of time at home to reflect on this over the next few days.

*****************

Are you in the path of the blizzard today?

Are there things in life you know you take too seriously?

What are your must-have foods when you need to stock the kitchen for a storm?

• Susie # Suzlyfe January 26, 2015, 6:30 am

I’ve definitely been victim of the push pull cycle. . I think my best races have been the ones where I didn’t pressure myself, and often my best runs are the ones that I do according to the same theory. . But I do know that if I don’t push myself, often I just will end up settling for something that isn’t fulfilling, or even worth the slight effort that I put into it, which is worse. I agree–it is about trying to find that balance. Stay safe!

• Sara @ Lake Shore Runner January 26, 2015, 6:42 am

Stay safe in the blizzard! By eating lots and lots of PB. I hope one of those bags was all PB.

Great topic too for a post. I am definitely a culprit of putting too much pressure on myself in life and in races. I try to reming myself that I run for myself and I run for fun. Even though PR’s and good times are fun to have this isn’t my career and enjoying the run is most important. Sometimes it is easier said then done.
    Sara @ Lake Shore Runner recently posted…4 Ingredient Coffee Smoothie & Weekend RecapMy Profile

• Tina Muir January 26, 2015, 6:46 am

I was just thinking yep….yep….yepp…..and then there was my name! You know I agree, and we are all a little guilty of it, but I think more so because we are brave enough to put our life out there, so we feel pressure that we shouldn’t. Glad you are thinking this way too, and we can keep working together to just enjoy things, go with the flow, and LIVE life as YOU! 🙂
    Tina Muir recently posted…Meatless Monday- Crunchy Cashew Salad with Honey Ginger DressingMy Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma January 26, 2015, 7:55 am

I could have written this, I can relate to all of it! I tend to put the pressure on and take things too seriously, assign meaning to things where it doesn’t necessarily belong and think too much when there’s nothing that needs analysis. I’ve loosened up with age and experience, but that tendency is still there for sure.
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Weekend Recap – Snow + Sleep + a Half MarathonMy Profile

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine January 26, 2015, 8:30 am

This is so true and applicable to just about everything it seems. I have a hard time with letting go of the pressure I put on myself with running, but I know that I always end up doing better and feeling better when I do.
    No one seems to know what we will get with snow today and tomorrow. I kind of wish we would just get a real storm and a snow day or two.
    It sounds like you guys may be getting hit pretty hard- stay safe!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Weekly Workouts And Other UpdatesMy Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets January 26, 2015, 9:28 am

The vast majority of the pressure I feel is self-created and when I dial it back a notch, I tend to perform better with whatever I’m doing. Often times I’ll use exercise, meditation or straight up relaxing as a way to ease the pressure, and it helps.

Good luck with the snow. I hope it’s not nearly as bad as they’re predicting.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 27, 2015, 8:49 am

I think the blizzard isn’t as bad overall as they said but of course in my area, it’s hit the hardest. Oh well!

• Sarah @pickyrunner January 26, 2015, 10:12 am

I take things wayyyy too seriously and put too much pressure on myself all the time. In some ways I perform better this way but there is a point where it’s just too much. It happened with my swimming career and I definitely burnt myself out. Sometimes it’s not worth it!
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Sometimes I runMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 27, 2015, 8:49 am

I remember you writing a lot about this topic when it came to swimming. I swear I am going to email you today!

• Suzy January 26, 2015, 11:03 am

Ahhh… toughest lesson to learn… NEVER share dessert with boys!!! I did that once, and it was the last time. Ha! When you figure out how to balance everything, will you let me know? I always say that I am endlessly riding on the pendulum of life. Naked. With a beer in my hand. Singing Nirvana at the top of my lungs.
    Suzy recently posted…Mileage Monday: Route 66My Profile

• Frank January 26, 2015, 6:09 pm

“They” say we can have anywhere from 1″ to 12″. Sort of on the northern edge of things.

I like to say I’m a very serious guy, I take everything seriously even the fun and frivolity.

I just bought spreadable cheese for my sprouted wheat pretzels, 2 tubs of Turkey Hill ice cream (all natural chocolate/vanilla & box of chocolates special edition), 1 tub of Turkey Hill Special Edition Salted Caramel Frozen Greek Yogurt, & 1 avocado . . .

Did 2:10 indoors on Sunday, 85 minutes of it on the treadmill, split by 40 laps on the track.

Stay safe, warm, and dry.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 27, 2015, 8:47 am

I like Turkey Hill. Been meaning to try the new Ben & Jerry’s Cookie Core flavors.

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 26, 2015, 7:05 pm

I -think- I used to take things way too seriously, but the older I get, the easier it becomes to shrug things off. I’m more of a “make the most of whatever situation” kind of girl, and adopting that kind of mentality has made the world of difference. Now if only I could remember to apply that when I’m in the car…
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. link love 1/25 .My Profile

• Tracy January 26, 2015, 7:18 pm

So interesting! I was thinking as I read this that I am so not competitive. I played tennis growing up (very seriously since I grew up in Miami) – not because I wanted to but pretty much b/c my dad wanted us to play tennis. I made the team in college and realized that I truly hated it and since I wasn’t home anymore I could finally quit! I had always wished I played a team sport like volleyball. I now live in a club where I get a lot of pressure to play on the tennis team (with a bunch of retired women that live here in the winter!) and I think they are more competitive than the kids I grew up with in South Florida – some of whom who went on to be tennis pros! Anyhoo – I run b/c I feel like it helps “get the crazy out” (from 2 little boys running wild!) and I am only competitive in the sense that I feel like if I ran a certain amount one day, I should be able to do that or better the next time I run. Thankfully we haven’t had to stock up for a hurricane in the past few years – I think a lot of water, cereal for the boys, almond milk that doesn’t need to be refrigerated…wow this is tough! It got below 50 here so the heat is on ( ; Stay warm!! Meaning to ask – what did you make your banana ice cream with? Do you have one of the banana ice cream machines like Yonanas or with a blender? Contemplating whether I want to get one to make ice cream for all of the boys in my house!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 27, 2015, 8:47 am

You can simply blend up a bunch of frozen bananas. I don’t really think you need the gadgets for it but I could be wrong. I do it often with pb2 mixed in which gives it great peanut butter flavor and then store it in the freezer. When you are ready to eat it, just let it soften a bit. Last week I added frozen mixed berries to the mix before blending (I think I was out of pb2 so added regular peanut butter that time). Some people add milk, I never really need it but have done that too. I know I have a recipe post about it on my recipe page (I think!)

• AJ @ NutriFitMama January 26, 2015, 9:47 pm

Thankfully we are not in the path of the storm. I always just make sure we have enough to drink and fresh fruits and veggies during a storm honestly- we don’t load up on milk and bread like everyone else seems to 🙂 Maybe it’s because I have never lived somewhere that has a real possibility of being stuck somewhere for too long- we are in Tennessee. The most has ever been a couple days. And that’s because I stretched it out a bit 😉
    AJ @ NutriFitMama recently posted…Chocolate Covered Strawberry Crispy Treats {Gluten Free, Vegan}My Profile

• Stacy @ Sweating Tulipz January 27, 2015, 12:20 am

I am definitely like you and fall victim to the push/pull theory…especially when it comes to skipping a workout or cheating on my meal plan. Heck, I am probably too hard on myself when it comes to almost everything. I so need to work on this! Thank you for the reminder! We only got 7 inches so far in Pittsburgh…nothing compared to you! I MUST have fresh fruits and vegetables before a storm…I run out so fast that its a must for me to constantly stock up!
    Stacy @ Sweating Tulipz recently posted…Squats and Sips for HealthMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 27, 2015, 8:44 am

I am always running out of the produce. I am in the stores every couple of days because of it so I tried to by extra on the weekend before the storm! It still won’t last.

• emma @ be mom strong January 27, 2015, 6:53 am

Balance is KEY but so hard to do! Stay safe in all the snow!
    emma @ be mom strong recently posted…Race 13.1 Giveaway!My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 27, 2015, 8:43 am

Thank you, for now we are trapped inside and the roads by me are closed anyway!