My Favorite Running Accessory & Random Thoughts

I am a morning person but the worst part of my morning (and maybe the whole day) in the winter is making that change from comfy pajamas to running apparel.

It’s still dark, there’s a chill in the air and my body wants nothing to do with it. I start with the socks to make it easy, then go to pants and save the shirt change for last.

Thinking-Out-Loud

— I live in constant fear of one morning shaking the cumin instead of the cinnamon into my oatmeal.

spices

I try to keep the jars separated but most of the time I reach in without looking or, if I want to be honest, reach in thinking I am looking but my mind is somewhere else completely which means I don’t even see what I am looking at.

—The phrase living in constant fear automatically makes me think of one of my favorite ecards.

someecard

But my stalking on the internet days have been over for years. My innate ability to figure things out and piece situations together with or without the use of technology is always in my back pocket though sort of like Inspector Gadget.

I reserve this ability for when it’s needed and most of the time, it’s just not necessary or worth my energy.

— I have been using spinach in place of lettuce in my son’s turkey sandwiches for lunch this week and he has yet to comment that his lettuce hasn’t been crunching so please don’t tell him.

—Did you know about this?

french fries emoji

Neither did I and now I spend my free time trying to spot other hidden emojis inside of the other emojis.

–I got an oil change yesterday and always feel so accomplished when I do so since it’s one of those tasks I try to put off without putting it off too long.

I really don’t mind waiting for my car because they have unlimited k-cups (Green Mountain Caramel Vanilla Cream!) and wifi that actually works.

coffee

—This is the part where I say I think I am back to drinking too much coffee again but if I am dozing off on the couch while watching television before it’s even 8:00 pm some nights, how bad can the coffee really be affecting me?

— If you were to ask me what my favorite running accessory is that I cannot live without, it would be my Lululemon Fluff Over mittens.

fluff over mittens

These mittens have actually earned top spot as best purchase of my entire running career.

I run through some bitter cold (just ask my phone) and can say my hands are always warm. I have not experienced a cold fingertip at any point, the extra fluff over layer (which is removable!) is amazing, I can tap on my phone and even tie my shoes through the mittens.

Should we discuss that my double knot untied somehow while running yesterday?

If you reside in a climate which gives you winter weather, you need these gloves.

They were $48 and even if they were to cost $100, I would still find them worth every penny.

—My son is getting his braces off today! I know, we are excited too.

Be sure to check out what everyone else is thinking about today!

***********

Do you double knot your laces? Do they still untie sometimes?

Are you a coffee drinker or tea drinker?

Favorite running accessory ever?

Comments

1. says

Ummm… you know what? I’m going to buy those gloves. I usually get by on old running clothes or as cheap as possible ones from wherever, mostly because I run so much that stocking my running drawer would cost me a fortune. But I can not live with frozen stumps of skin as fingers any longer, or I swear I’ll die. Ordering the gloves now. (cute about your son not knowing about the spinach! Love it)
    Suzy recently posted…The Courtesy FlushMy Profile

2. says

I double knot my laces, I’m a good girl I am. Yay! for getting braces off. How long has he had them on for? I had it fairly easy, one of my friends and my mom did not, however. I really like the idea of the warmth of the mittens, but I just feel like I would get hot, and then not have any options for cooling off without taking them off. Conundrum.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Impatience, Minion Quotes, and Call the MidwifeMy Profile

• says

No idea how my shoe untied since I double knot but thankfully it doesn’t happen often…His braces were on almost 2 1/2 years…Get the mittens. You can remove the top layer if you think it isn’t frigid outside. They are sweat wicking and the technology to them keeps you from getting hot.

3. Carmella says

I double knot my laces but sometimes they do untie, amazing. Love, love, love coffee and also have no trouble falling asleep at night. My favorite running accessory has to be my Flipbelt (belt fits tightly around your waist and has several pockets). Purchased this at the Pittsburgh Marathon Expo and then ran with it the next day, AMAZING, put my phone in it and never even knew it was there! Have since upgraded to iPhone 6 plus and it fits in there! Recently saw it on GMA Pinterest, would highly recommend. Have a good day and I know how wonderful it feels to have your braces off!!!!!

4. says

That cinnamon vs. cumin thing? I’ve done that before. And I didn’t even notice until I took a bite. Let’s say I was VERY unpleasantly surprised. So now the cinnamon shaker gets its own special shelf away from all the other spices. And you better believe I’m a coffee drinker! Although I try to keep it to 1 cup a day to prevent my stomach from going psycho on me.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. thinking out loud #113 .My Profile

5. says

I double knot my laces and they usually stay tied (knock on wood!)
    I am a coffee drinker but Ive started drinking green tea (decaf) at night lately. I also think I am going a little overboard with coffee lately but like you I have no problem falling asleep so Im not too worried. And I don’t drink it after 10am.
    Wow those mittens sound really great. I have no idea what my favorite accessory is. Maybe my pro compression socks? My new mission is to find a cute, comfortable, functional, warm hat or ear warmers for running.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Winter in Hawaii, Whole Foods, and Running Updates (TOL#33)My Profile

6. says

I don’t have those mittens but I’m loving my lulu fleece mittens. I wear them over gloves and they’ve been so perfect with this cold weather. That is the best ecard ever! While I’m not a complete internet stalker I can totally relate to knowing things that I probably shouldn’t know! Also while it’s on my mind wanted to tell you I just signed up for the LI half marathon may 3. My husband too. Figured my parents could help us out with the kids so it works for everyone 🙂
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Tree People, My Kids’ Names, and Eat the Green Thing! – TOLMy Profile

• says

Yay! I am hoping to run it for my third year in a row but won’t be able to decide yet. I was just talking about this race with my dad yesterday! It’s so boring on the Wantagh parkway but so local that I love it.

7. says

I ALWAYS double knot my shoes! They typically don’t come untied, but every once in a while, they will…I REALLY need those gloves! I have really turned into a wuss running in the cold and I bought quite a few pieces of cold weather gear last year, but I can’t bring myself to get out in the cold this year…TM is it! I usually use toe warmers, but not the hand warmers, so gloves like these would be worth every penny – I agree.
    Nikki @ will run for pizza recently posted…Spinning + upper body workout   Recently updated !My Profile

8. says

OMG! I have the SAME cumin/cinnamon fear! That would be awful, and totally ruin my morning!
    My favorite running accessory is my Garmin. I always love knowing my distance and pace.

9. says

Oh, I should check out those mittens – my hands and fingers are always cold (Raynauds).
    So exciting that your son is getting his braces off – I know my son is ready for that day!!
    Kim recently posted…What’s Your Hardcore?My Profile

10. says

That is exciting news about your son. Tell him I said Congratulations. I rocked braces not too long ago so I understand what a big deal it is when they come off.

My mother gave up coffee for a while and actually felt more energized as a result. Well after the caffeine addiction wore off that is. I’m probably in the same boat as you though. I love my coffee so, and I find myself drinking perhaps too much. Eep.

• says

I really enjoy my hot mug. I can’t drink caffeinated tea and the decaf teas are lovely but not the same as a mug of coffee. I am going to buy decaf though and use that when I want more than one cup. I think the placebo affect will work!

Trackbacks