Thinking Out Loud Thursday

I heard on the news that this year will be one second longer than last year to help deal with a slowed earth rotation or something.

Thinking-Out-Loud

I decided the one second was added at some point this week because this week seems so slow but then they told me the second is due to be added on June 30th.

Adding seconds to the year is not something I knew they were allowed to do (don’t ask me who they is, I never really know when I use the word they in these types of situations) but it sort of explains things.

Like, when we think a year flew by so fast? Maybe they took some seconds away from us and just didn’t say.

So now when time seems to be going slow, I will just assume that seconds were added to my clock and no one told me.

I forgot to buy plum tomatoes this week. I really like them– chopped up, roasted or sliced with avocado–but I completely left them off of the grocery list I write but never remember to bring with me to the store so I have been making do without them.

I hate emptying the dishwasher.

dishwasher

I am just staring at the clean dishes right now as I speak to you from my early morning dimly lit dining area of my kitchen.

I tackled the silverware and needed to take a break.

Can I admit something? I am super disorganized when it comes to how I load the dishwasher. I have no system or order. It’s total anarchy in there. If throwing dishes inside the machine wouldn’t result in breakage, that would be how I do it.

I have my Pro Compression socks on my feet now.

pro compression socks

Is it just me or do your legs and feet swell something serious after running? I only know that mine do because I struggle to tug on my recovery pair of compression socks post-run.

Before running? They slide on all nice. After? It’s like trying to do a simple task with a severe case of PMS involved.

You know what else is tough after running? Going shopping for jeans.

Shopping and trying on jeans is a workout in itself, just try that after a long run with swollen legs and feet.

Not only was I out of breath by the time I left the dressing room the other day, I spent the time in the too small of a space struggling to get those skinny-styled pairs up and over my calves and then back down again.

Note to self: Jean shopping on rest days only.

And who I am to suddenly decide to wear jeans anyway? If I spoke in hashtag, this is where I would say #leggingsforlife.

Do you forget to breathe when you are working out?

Just when the Pure Barre instructor on the video tells me chin up, chest up, keep breathing is the exact point where I am probably about to turn blue.

Fascinating how she knows this by talking to me from the television screen.

I do think to wiggle my fingers every so often while running though, especially on the treadmill.

I do it to make sure I am not tensing up or holding some sort of tight grip –it helps me to keep loose and relax.

Of course I bought the Juicy Fruit Starburst gum. The strawberry kind.

starburst gum

It’s better than the Sour Patch Kids gum of last year but not as long-lasting as Extra Watermelon.

But I don’t know why I got excited to see Starburst gum because I never liked Starburst candy.

I always went for the chocolate stuff over the sugary and chewy stuff.

Tell me something random and then go check out what everyone else is thinking about today!

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine January 8, 2015, 6:03 am

I hate emptying the dishwasher! Especially when I am in a rush and I realize its full and I open it to put something in….and then I feel bad about leaving it without emptying it. If I had my way I would just throw things in there wherever they fit but Rob has a very particular way of organizing it so I let him take care of that.
    I was thinking yesterday about how putting on pro compression socks after a workout/shower is a million times harder! Oh and I have those same socks!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Thinking Out Loud #32: Winter ComplaintsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 8, 2015, 6:05 am

yes! I blame the shower part too! I try so hard to dry off completely but I swear my calves and feet are just swollen too. It’s such a process and annoys me every time lol.

• Susie @ SuzLyfe January 8, 2015, 6:36 am

I got the Starburst Cherry and it is TERRIBLE. It tastes like medicine…
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…New Year New You Fitness Giveaway and other thoughtsMy Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 8, 2015, 7:17 am

Trying on skinned is the -worst-… Sometimes I even struggle with getting the bottom to fit over my feet. Which is probably why I love the jeggings from American Eagle — they stretch 🙂 And is it weird that I almost never use my dishwasher? I’ll run it every once in a while to keep it from getting crusty or whatever, but I usually do all my dishes by hand.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. thinking out loud #112 .My Profile

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma January 8, 2015, 8:04 am

Oh how I hate emptying the dishwasher! Embarrassingly I didn’t actually do it until dinner time yesterday. So pathetic. And that will most likely happen again today. I actually feel like the week is flying!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Kids’ Resolutions + Thoughts on Whole30 – TOLMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 8, 2015, 9:36 am

I usually run it after dinner and unload in the morning. I just hate the whole process of unloading and putting away but I guess it’s better than no dishwasher at all. When we were first married, we didn’t have one and that really wasn’t too fun either.

• AJ @ NutriFitMama January 8, 2015, 8:47 am

YES! I totally swell after my long runs! I need to try compression socks- I have heard good things about them so it’s worth a shot! I ran my longest run in a while this past Sunday and oh WOW I was so swollen!
    AJ @ NutriFitMama recently posted…No Bake, Gluten Free Cinnamon Roll Protein BallsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 8, 2015, 9:35 am

Definitely get a pair of Pro Compression socks. They really are as good as everyone says. I love them.

• Nikki@will run for pizza January 8, 2015, 8:49 am

Oh I bloat and swell up so bad after running and working out! I HATE all my post-race pictures because of this. haha.
    I’m the dishwasher unloader, and my Hus is the loader. When I DO load some of the dishes – very organized! – he moves everything around before he starts it. Apparently he fits more dishes in there, but it’s a chaotic mess and dishes break all the time. And he wonders why I don’t buy sets of dishes and i’m constantly buying dishes here and there! LOL
    Nikki@will run for pizza recently posted…What I learned from Chalene Johnson’s podcast.My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 8, 2015, 9:34 am

I try to be organized but after I put a few things in, the organization part of the load just gets left behind and I shove it all in.

• Carmella January 8, 2015, 9:29 am

How about trying to get your running bra off, when you are sweating. That trick in itself is a workout!!!!
    Have Champion bras that hook in the back but the velcro thingy that covers the hooks digs into my back and after a few washings the velcro does not stay closed. Ugh thought that those bras would be the answer and had a coupon so seemed like a good deal!!!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 8, 2015, 9:34 am

I don’t have a bra like that but yes, I struggle pulling off my sweaty clothes too! And I get really cranky about it because I like to jump in shower before eating after my run but I am usually starving at that point and getting mean!

• Rebecca@Running.Food.Baby. January 8, 2015, 9:43 am

I wish I could have a big burger and fries in front of me right now….
    Rebecca@Running.Food.Baby. recently posted…Thinking Out Loud Thursday #27My Profile

• Lauren January 8, 2015, 10:02 am

I HATE jean shopping. and wearing jeans. I’ll totally join team #leggingsforlife. I don’t know if it’s getting older but every morning I just stare at my closet and say I wish I could wear yoga pants to work.

• Frank January 8, 2015, 11:31 am

Hate loading and unloading the dishwasher. I should go out to eat more often.
    My lower leg compression things don’t compress enough.
    We called jeans dungarees when I was a kid. Either way, my only pair now has worn through under the back right pocket. Now I feel I have to coordinate the color of my underwear with the rest of my outfit ….
    I like Starbursts, though Milk Duds were my favorite.

• Cat January 8, 2015, 11:43 am

Hahaha I am the WORST at remembering to breathe while working out! It seems like a pretty basic thing right? But no… When I had a personal trainer that’s what he kept reminding me to do most!
    Cat recently posted…WIAW #56: My First Ever Vlog O_OMy Profile

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 8, 2015, 12:03 pm

I HATE unloading the dishwasher too! Dishes are like the worst thing ever. It may sound totally backwards, but I normally wash my dishes by hand and rarely use my dishwasher. Maybe it is because it then results in me putting away a smaller amount of dishes in one time? 😉
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…Why I Started Eating Fish AgainMy Profile

• Sara @ Lake Shore Runner January 8, 2015, 12:56 pm

What???? They add time….thanks for educating me! I had no clue.

Everything in my kitchen is mini [I live in a studio]….mini stove, mini fridge. But the dishwasher is full size. Go figure. I still seem to fill it up somehow.
    Sara @ Lake Shore Runner recently posted…Bye Bye C. Wonder, Hello Lilly #TOLTMy Profile

• Leslie @ Life Begins at 30? January 8, 2015, 1:09 pm

I’m a crazy person about the dishwasher. I will move stuff around if it is “out of place”! Breathing while doing barre is totally hard. You’re concentrating so much on the shaking or burning in your legs that you forget to breathe!
    Leslie @ Life Begins at 30? recently posted…#NoExcuses ChallengeMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 9, 2015, 11:41 am

I know! I have been trying to remember to breathe and even focus on it which I think might be helping to get through each set a little easier without straightening my legs.

• Kim January 8, 2015, 4:59 pm

I love how random this was today!!!
    Thankfully, most of the time now, my boys unload the dishwasher!!! I’m sort of anal about how it gets loaded and I think I taught them well enough to do it mostly the way I like it:)
    Kim recently posted…Conditioning Is Key!!My Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets January 8, 2015, 5:48 pm

I love the sugary chewy candy. I’d pick it over chocolate any day. I know, I know. Still true.

Trying on jeans is like an experiment in torture.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 9, 2015, 11:40 am

I even find bathing suit shopping easier. Less struggle and bending involved.

• Kaylin @ Enticing Healthy Eating January 8, 2015, 9:13 pm

I showed that Starburst gum to my very recent fiance and I think he about lost his mind. He loves Starburst! One second added to this year?…Weird. I had no idea that happened either. And I just got my first pair of pro compression socks to try this week in the mail! I already love them. Have a good weekend!
    Kaylin @ Enticing Healthy Eating recently posted…And They Lived Happily Ever AfterMy Profile

• Suzy January 9, 2015, 2:24 am

Aww… k this was cute. You’re hilarious! I think we’re opposite, though. I love organizing the dishwasher the same way as I love putting my groceries into order on the belt at the grocery store. And I don’t like tomatoes. I’ll even pick them out of my burgers. But everything else? We’re practically twins. He he. 🙂
    Suzy recently posted…Be FreeMy Profile