More To Me Than Running

Yesterday morning wasn’t so bad. My son woke up on his own and didn’t give me an issue getting out the door.

The only minor problem we encountered was him blaming me for not putting all of the new pencils we bought over the break properly into his binder pencil pouches.

Where was he Sunday night when one should be prepping in advance?

So it’s suddenly polar vortex time and getting colder as I type this.

When I need extra layers to keep warm out there while running, I make use of the race t-shirts I have received by wearing one on top of a Lulu Run Swiftly Long Sleeve shirt and then add more layers on top of that as needed.

runner's world t shirt

Taken after Saturday’s 15 mile run.

I think about that Runner’s World Half & Festival a lot.  Not just because I ran a 5k followed by a 10k with a half marathon the next day.

I think about that race weekend because I went to Bethlehem, PA for those three days by myself.

I don’t think I told you that back then.

I also don’t think I told you what happened to me on the drive there…

flat tire

Yeah, a flat tire. Thirty miles outside of Bethlehem somewhere in New Jersey.

I had stopped for Starbucks thinking who I was to cruise so easily and quickly on my own to Pennsylvania when suddenly my tire light came on.

A minor inconvenience but took some time out of my trip, had to call Roadside Assistance and wait for someone to come (when luckily a nice policeman with one of those fancy police hats showed up out of nowhere to help me so I didn’t have to wait for the roadside assistance at a gas station where the attendants claimed to be unable to change a tire. I wasn’t even in New York and boy were they rude).

And then came the part where I had to find a tire place in the middle of nowhere that sold my exact tire should I need a new one because I couldn’t drive all that way and then back home on a spare.

I did it all by myself (well, with the help of google maps and my phone) and then went on to enjoy the weekend surrounded by other runners, most of which I didn’t know.

race-medal-selfie

I made a few friends, saw a few faces I knew from blogging but really ran and did my own thing. On my own.

I think about that weekend often and reflect on how wonderful being independent can feel.

Sometimes I think we can lose ourselves in our relationships and with that our ability to realize how much we can do and enjoy in our independence.

The concept of getting divorced a few years ago gave me a short-lived identity crisis which hit me like a ton of bricks.

Who was I if I was no longer Mrs.? How was I going to do it all on my own? Me? Head of Household?

I will never forget my cousin Jilly shouting at me in her divorce attorney/treats me like her daughter even though I am six months older/really loving way:

You are forgetting how smart and independent you are! Stop selling yourself short! Of course you can handle the banking and bills, any idiot far below you can so stop thinking that you can’t because you have no choice anyway!

She was right.

I was always smart (3.7 GPA thank you very much) and capable. And independent.

Somewhere I either stopped thinking about that or pushed it way back behind my role as wife and mother.

There’s so much more to me than being mommy and there was so much more to me than being a wife.

What makes you YOU? I mean, who are you aside from Mrs.? Who are you aside from mommy or account executive?

Do you feel that sometimes those roles start to overtake you and that you lose sight of who you are, who you were, where you come from and where you are going?

What do you love aside from running? Did you know there’s actually more to me than my miles?

Remembering your interests and who you are as an individual is so important in order to stay true to yourself and not lose yourself in your own life.

I love hockey.

It never made much sense because I have always been super girly but hockey was my first love in life next to Barbie and Hello Kitty.

islander jacket

I still wear my Islanders jacket from when I was a kid. It’s considered vintage now and that’s really scary.

Following hockey at a level far beyond the average sports fan always made me feel special. I had this knowledge unfamiliar to most girls (and boys too), a knowledge I truly loved and developed through my own interest.

I still love Hello Kitty as I told you yesterday.

So stupidly I thought that once I was married I would have to give up my collection and leave it at my parent’s house.

But that’s ridiculous.

It’s a part of me and I never should have left it behind.

hello kitty

I keep some kitties in the corner of my room, you can’t see them when you walk in but trust me, they are there and I know it.

And my sticker collection.

lisa frank stickers

Gosh I just love my Lisa Frank sticker collection (all on original backings) and I don’t care that I am 36, they make me happy and I will continue to search Ebay for the stickers I may be missing and to keep track of their value.

Lately I just like to remind myself of what I love (aside from running and peanut butter) and what makes me me.

Your interests enhance your personality and keep you grounded in some independence while you carry on with the rest of your roles in life.

It doesn’t matter what interests you, just never give it up. Never forget who you are or what you are capable of doing.

You know, I am feeling all empowered now. Like I should buy a tool kit or something.

Home improvements were never my forte.

**********

Is it super freezing or snowing by you today? Will you run outside anyway?

What are some of your hobbies/interests that people may not know about?

Are you handy around the house?

• Susie @ SuzLyfe January 6, 2015, 6:24 am

You know that I couldn’t agree more with this. I think that often (particularly in the blog world) what comes through is this single (ish) dimension of ourselves, like that we are just runners, or just foodies or whatever. And then we start to get caught up in it, like we have to be THE runner of the group. People like labels–we like to know where we stand. But you can’t discount the other parts of yourself!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Confident Winter Running: Yaktrax Run ReviewMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 6, 2015, 2:19 pm

I think there are so many parts to ourselves that are often forgotten about or not discussed which can lead to losing all of our outside interests.

• Suzy January 6, 2015, 8:08 am

It’s so cool that you’re reclaiming the parts of who you are that wandered off track. It happens so slowly, how bit by bit we lose ourselves (either to marriage, or kids, or just the busyness of life) and then one day we wake up and we’re like, wait. WHAT? Since when did I stop painting my toenails hot pink and where did all of my hulahoops go? Ha ha. I dunno, but you know what I mean. It’s not like it happens suddenly, but it feels that way. I love that you have attached such great feelings of Self to that weekend away and I hope you get to do it again soon…without the flat this time.
    Suzy recently posted…When Diet Coke is HealthierMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 6, 2015, 2:20 pm

I used to love a good hula hoop! My toes are still hot pink so at least I haven’t forgotten about that! I need to now read about your diet coke post since my dad keeps Coca-Cola in business when it comes to that beverage.

• Suzy January 6, 2015, 3:10 pm

It’s not exaaaaactly what you think. It’s just a clever title. 😛

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine January 6, 2015, 8:28 am

This is such an important message and a reminder that we should give ourselves on a regular basis. I have always felt very independent (well, in most areas of my life) and I remember when I started dating Rob almost 10 years ago I was really scared to lose that independence. It was actually harder for me to accept that someone else can have an important role in my life and its still difficult for me to allow others to help me. Over the years I feel like I have learned how to be in a healthy relationship while holding on to enough of that independence to still feel ok.
    As for the weather, yesterday the temps dropped to the 20s and then we got snow this morning. I ran outside and it wasn’t too bad because there wasn’t really any wind. But I really don’t want 2-3 more months of this!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…From “Recovery” To “Training”: The Base-Building PhaseMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 6, 2015, 2:21 pm

It started flurrying during my run today and I hope it never becomes more than a flurry this winter! I don’t want to deal with it! I too was always independent and never really thought about losing my independence when I first got married but now that I have adjusted to being divorced, it’s something I think about and won’t ever give up, I will just find some sort of middle ground I think.

• Frank January 6, 2015, 8:51 am

10 degrees outside The Coffee Planet as I type this. Will definitely head to the Y for today’s workout.

I have a collection of animal hand puppets and stuffed animals

People are always surprised at my “handiness”. For myself, I spend a lot more time thinking about being handy than actually being handy.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 6, 2015, 2:22 pm

I have never been handy and I doubt it will ever change. I call my neighbor for everything and she is happy to help. (she actually enjoys home improvements).

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma January 6, 2015, 1:58 pm

So, so true, and thanks for sharing! Even though I am married, being a mom to 3 kids while having minimal help (no family, sitter, and husband worked 2 jobs for years) taught me that I really can rely on myself and get sh*t done! It hasn’t been easy but it’s taught me that I can take care of things on my own if I need to, and yes, I’m a lot more than just the miles I run and the food I eat! Hopefully my blog reflects that as well. It’s easy to get caught up in various identities and forget who you are at your core. Great message 🙂
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Why Life isn’t Fair and What to Do About ItMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 6, 2015, 2:23 pm

It’s amazing isn’t it how much we can do as parents? Something to be really proud of.

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 6, 2015, 2:46 pm

I sometimes wish I was maybe a little less independent and had an easier time relying on other people… maybe I wouldn’t be living the single life 😛 But I have to admit that I do love my independence and not having to worry about anyone but myself on a regular basis. Is that selfish? I dunno. I do know that it all changes for the right person, though. And just the other day I came across my massive sticker collection from when I was a little kid. Wow. Just wow.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. a few thoughts on turning 30 .My Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets January 7, 2015, 9:11 pm

What a great post.

Since my Hubby is away more than he’s home, I’ve definitely tapped into my independent side, although to be honest I’ve always been really independent. I don’t like asking for help, even though I know it’s a good thing, and generally try to handle things on my own. Even handy stuff around the house. Yes, I know how to work a screwdriver, and I mean more than just the drink.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles January 8, 2015, 9:43 am

One of my best friends (and my next door neighbor) is really handy around the house so I call her whenever I need something done that involves a hammer and a nail. Otherwise though, I swear I am pretty independent! I think it’s the only child in me.