WIAW- New Year’s Again & Recents Eats

It’s Wednesday, just in case you were wondering like I was when I woke up.

It gets all confusing around the holidays, doesn’t it?

It’s also the last day of 2014. Like, wow.

I recall New Years Eve 2013 so well that I cannot believe it was 365 days ago.

I randomly ended up in Manhattan (in Times Square for bit no less!) and had one of the best nights of my life.

What’s so interesting about that night (and I encourage you to read last year’s post) is that I had no intention of going out.

I wasn’t having the best of days but that night serves as reminder that just when you want to do nothing and be alone, going out with your friends will almost always be the best option.

In fact, words can’t even express to you today just how special that night really was and rereading my post further validates the feelings I have had about that night ever since.

We still talk and laugh about that evening, it was really that much fun and I will forever be fascinated at how much fun I had when I thought I was anything but happy.

Since last New Year’s was so fun, we decided to head into the city again tonight.

We have dinner reservations at The Sugar Factory which of course, is totally up my alley.

I will be sure to recap our night tomorrow but in the meantime, I have some other food things to chat about.

WHAT-I-ATE-WEDNESDAY-NEW-BUTTON-PEAS-AND-CRAYONS

This makes me super happy.

Keurig

That little blue glow in the early morning brightens my day and is part of why I love being home for breakfast.

And that early morning first bowl of oatmeal with mashed banana, cinnamon and a drop of peanut butter alongside my coffee is how I like (and need) to start my day.

oatmeal

My son picked this mug from one of the Disney gift shops and had to have it. I don’t know why he loved it so much but I appreciate it as my yogurt bowl.

IMG_8633

We had lunch at The Cheesecake Factory the other day because 1- it’s our favorite 2- my son loves the soup they serve on Monday (some kind of corn chowder) and 3- we had a gift card.

Cheesecake Factory

After lunch we did our usual hang out at the bookstore thing since Barnes and Noble is right next door.

I saw this book on display, flipped through it and really liked it.

IMG_8656

Fun fact: I started writing a children’s book based on food and nutrition. I should really get back to completing it because it was a great storyline and unique in its theme and characters.

Sometimes I forget what I share on instagram and what I discuss here on the blog.

We celebrated my dad’s birthday at my house Sunday night.

I was in charge of dinner and dessert.

side dishes

Nothing crazy but super tasty — roasted brussels sprouts, roasted sweet potatoes and regular potatoes, roasted rainbow carrots, onion rings and skirt steak for my carnivore family.

I usually buy the rainbow carrots from Trader Joe’s but this time I bought them from Whole Foods and they had purple carrots in the bag.

rainbow carrots

I think they all taste the same but I love how the purple carrots roasted in terms of their texture.

I may not eat steak anymore but that doesn’t mean that I forgot how to cook it.

skirt steak

Always marinate overnight with a drop of TJ Carolina Gold BBQ sauce and cook with lots of onions in the pan.

Under the pile of yummy side dishes on my plate is a mix of quinoa and lentils which I cooked in vegetable broth.

dinner

My son sparked a debate with me saying that everyone needs meat/poultry in their daily diet for protein.

Since he is a good debater (seriously, his Social Studies teacher told me he should at the very least be an attorney or Supreme Court Judge), I fired back with the breakdown of plant-based proteins along with the fact that quinoa is a complete protein and contains all 9 essential amino acids.

I was not up for baking a chocolate fudge cookie dough layer cake from scratch like last year (recipe here) so I decided to custom-order a frozen yogurt cake with lots of crunchies, rainbow cookies, whipped cream frosting and cookie dough.

cake

I must say, it was really good.

cake

Of course I had more than one slice. If I ever fail to take a second plate of dessert, that means the dessert wasn’t good enough to eat in which case I probably didn’t eat the first serving either.

It’s double or nothing, you know?

Be sure to check out what everyone else is eating today and have a very Happy New Year!

Enjoy your night and I will chat with you tomorrow!

****************

What kind of coffee are you brewing these days?

What are you doing tonight for New Years? Do you stay in or go out?

If you are a vegetarian, pescatarian, vegan or whatever you call yourself, do you still cook meat/poultry for others?

• Tina muir December 31, 2014, 6:36 am

I LOVE that sprinkles bowl!!! Where did you get that? The mug is very disney, and cute, but I love the bowl 🙂 I also love all the cake in this picture. I made steves mom a bday cake a few weeks ago….honestly think I ate about 80% of it….with 5 of us in the house….oops! I think you should get on the book writing, I would love to see you bring that to life!
    Tina muir recently posted…5 Ways to Stay Motivated During Long RunsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 31, 2014, 9:29 am

I am pretty sure those sprinkle bowls are from Crate & Barrel back when I got engaged which means they are like 14 years old. I think you would like all of my dessert bowls – I have quite a collection and use them for oatmeal all of the time. have a very happy new year!

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma December 31, 2014, 7:20 am

Oh how I share your love for roasted veggies! I am going to read about your last New Years, it sounds special! Seriously can’t believe we’re headed into 2015!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Chocolate Banana Cranberry Muffins (Nut Free) + WIAWMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 31, 2014, 9:28 am

Sometimes I think it’s odd to actually love roasted vegetables because who ever would have thought I would love vegetables but yes, I do!

• Susie @ SuzLyfe December 31, 2014, 7:44 am

Many of the best nights that I’ve ever had going out were the unplanned ones! Some of the most problemmatic have been the ones we tried to plan out….
    I hate going to clubs on NYE–we did one last year (at the bequest of friends) and BOY that was a story. One of the best NYE’s I’ve ever had was the second one that Alex and I enjoyed in ATL–we had an amazing dinner at a fabulous restaurant and were basically adopted by the gay couple next to us, who bought us drinks and were hilarious. Lots more details from that night, but let’s just say it was worth its weight in gold! Happy New Year!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Charlottesville Pt 3 (Fry’s Spring Station) Pizza and Beer #WiawMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 31, 2014, 9:28 am

Totally agree – some of my best nights have been the spur of the moment ones! I hate clubs any day of the year, always have and always will! Although I can usually get a laugh at one (not that I have been inside a club in um, so many years I can’t remember the last one!). Have a very Happy New Year.

• Carmella DiPippa December 31, 2014, 8:00 am

Good morning and Happy New Year!
    I am drinking Tim Horton’s coffee right now, given to me from my Canadian friend.
    Enjoy tonight I will start the evening and end 2014 with a 5K!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 31, 2014, 9:26 am

I was just thinking about you this morning, how funny! I love Tim Hortons! Enjoy that race tonight and have a very Happy New Year! I hope to see you at a race in 2015!

• Jessie December 31, 2014, 8:48 am

frozen yogurt cake say what?!!!! I really need to get myself one of those… just because! Or wait, I can say it’s for welcoming our twin girls. Great idea! 🙂 🙂 Have fun with your girlfriend this evening. Stay safe!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 31, 2014, 9:26 am

Yes! You need the cake to celebrate those little babies that are about to be born!

• Nikki @ will run for pizza December 31, 2014, 8:57 am

1. I love that TJ’s bbq sauce! Problem: my Hus hates mustard and I can’t find a BBQ sauce that isn’t sweet or mustard-y that doesn’t have freaking CORN SYRUP! or just loaded with crap – any suggestions??
    2. I need those carrots. So pretty.
    3. I am REALLY trying to give up meat again (only eating it about once a week now), but I do cook it for The Hus. He doesn’t eat it a lot since I don’t, but he does still eat it. And in the summer, he cooks it himself anyway b/c he grills. 🙂
    4. It’s before 9am and I need that cake.
    5. We are staying in tonight! We usually do anyhow, but tonight we have my 8 year old nephew and I have to work until at least 7, so it’ll be a relaxing NYE – eating (hopefully pizza), movies, lego-building, etc…just how I like it. 🙂
    Nikki @ will run for pizza recently posted…Christmas hangover.My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 31, 2014, 9:25 am

Hmm, I never thought about mustard in the ingredients so I really don’t know. Have you checked all of the BBQ sauces from TJ? I like the Kansas City one and the other one (forget the name). I know they don’t have the HFCS. How about Peter Lugar’s BBQ Sauce? The ingredients are minimal, I don’t know them off hand but it’s worth checking out ( can’t remember if it contains HFCS but it’s worth checking out). Have a wonderful New Year’s tonight! I love staying in for this “holiday” and normally do.

• Nikki@will run for pizza January 1, 2015, 8:48 am

I’ll have to check for the Peter Lugar’s one – haven’t seen that one! And I don’t remember the Kansas City one, so I need to check that too! Thanks!
        Nikki@will run for pizza recently posted…Christmas hangover.My Profile

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine December 31, 2014, 9:01 am

I love my Keurig, and my morning coffee has become one of the highlights of my day. I like Starbucks for fancier drinks but for a regular cup of coffee I am happy to have one at home! We are exchanging gifts with my parents tomorrow and I got my mom a Kuerig (I’m assuming she won’t read this, ha) and I am so excited because now I will get to drink from one at their house too!
    I have no idea what day it is either. And no sense of time either, like I tried to remember what happened a week ago and I don’t even remember what state I was in. Oh well, it will all be back to normal in a few more days!
    Happy New Year!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…What I Ate And Did On My Day OffMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 31, 2014, 9:23 am

Oh I bet your mom will be excited and love it! Have a very Happy New Year

• Sabrina @NutritiouslySweet December 31, 2014, 9:05 am

Those “crunchies” are the best part of the cake, but the whole thing looks amazing!!! I’ve never seen purple carrots before! I’ll have to be on the look out at a farmers market or something.
    Sabrina @NutritiouslySweet recently posted…WIAW #117: This Is The Start!My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles December 31, 2014, 9:23 am

I hadn’t seen the purple carrots until this bag from Whole Foods. They are yellow inside – sort of like the purple sweet potatoes that are purple outside and yellow inside. Pretty cool.

• Sara @ Lake Shore Runner December 31, 2014, 10:58 am

Have fun tonight! That cake is mouth watering. Think you can send one to Chicago?!

Happy New Year!
    Sara @ Lake Shore Runner recently posted…2014 Year in Review on LSRMy Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. December 31, 2014, 4:45 pm

Spontaneous nights always end up being the best — that way there are no too-high expectations that end up in disappointment. I’m still not 100% sure what I’ll be doing tonight, but the weather is super nice so I think I’ll probably end up downtown watching the fireworks.