What do you do With Your Apple Peels & Lots of Recipe Links

If you know me, you know that a 9:45 am spin class is super late for me to work out.

I had two breakfasts, baked an apple crumb coffee cake and consumed three cups of coffee prior to getting myself to Lifetime and on a spin bike.

apple crumb coffee cake

I made the apple crumb coffee cake for my parents to replace the Fiber One coffee cake-thing they told me they have been eating. I couldn’t allow that to continue knowing full well I could whip something up in a pinch that is fresher, healthier and of course, tastier.

They love it; I am just not ready to share the recipe. Personally, I feel it needs a bit more crumb on top.

I know I look half asleep but trust me, I was high on caffeine.

spin

This spin class was no joke. I needed those three cups of coffee to bring me to the same high energy level of the awesome instructor, Tripp.

I mean, he had us singing Livin’ On A Prayer out loud while increasing the resistance for intervals in and out of the saddle.

He literally turned down the music over and over to make sure we were singing.

Even I was in a good sweat by the time the class was over. Good class.

So I feel sort of bad that I don’t have any magical Thanksgiving recipes to share with you of my own.

I don’t do the holiday cooking (we go to my aunt who is a fabulous cook) but I do bring dessert.

The problem with sharing my dessert recipes though is that I make them up which means they are probably slightly different each time because I like to live a bit on the edge and rarely use a measuring cup.

As of now, I am making my famous oatmeal raisin chocolate chip cookies. I always make an apple crisp too (with layers of crumb on the bottom and top) but this year, I might, and I mean might, mix it up with one of these recipes instead:

Apple Pie Crumb Cake

Vegan Apple Pie Squares

I will let you know when I decide.

I didn’t want to leave you hanging though on the Thanksgiving recipes front so I put together a bunch of links that caught my eye which you may enjoy.

Please note that I am ALL about the side dishes!

Thanksgiving Recipes

Sweet Potato Pie Waffles – why not start at breakfast?

Healthy Mashed Carrots

Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes With Honey-Cinnamon Dip

Itty Bitty Garlic Pumpkin Knots

Sweet Potato Casserole With Crunchy-Nut Crumble (Vegan)

Sweet Potato Stuffed Baked Apples

Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole

Sweet Potato Biscuits

Lentil Walnut Apple Loaf

Maple Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts

Butternut Squash, Brussels Sprout and Bread Stuffing With Apples

Vegan Cornbread Casserole

Gluten-Free Vegan Cornbread Muffins

Favorite Vegetarian Thanksgiving Side Dishesan awesome recipe collection from our WIAW host!

Butternut, Mushroom and Kale Dressing (Stuffing)

Gluten-Free Quinoa Stuffing

Pumpkin Pie Brownie Cupcakes

Chocolate fudge cake!  – someone please make this cake! The secret ingredient is sweet potato in both the cake and the frosting.

Apple Crisp Blondies

Talk to me quick about what you do with your apple peels. Can I have them?

apples

I know I mentioned it last year but my most favorite thing to do when I peel an apple is toss the apple skins in the microwave for a minute or two and oh wow, do you have a snack you could never imagine.

apple skins

There is no pretty way to show you what I mean but trust me when I say Oh. My. Goodness.

Sometimes, I peel apples on purpose just to eat the skins.

apple skins

Promise me you will try it?  Just throw the peels in the microwave, like a minute or two for a few of them.

You can also roast them all in the oven at 450 degrees for 15 minutes or so but that takes longer than my patience.

The apple skins shrink up a bit, get all warm and mushy and if you add some peanut butter? It’s like a hot apple pie-type bite with warmed peanut butter filling.

You can add a chocolate chip, just one, and it will melt right in!

And you were about to dump all of those apple skins in the garbage, weren’t you.

Peanut Butter-Filled Apple Skins

Ingredients
  • Apple Peels
  • Peanut Butter
  • Chocolate Chips
Instructions
  1. Place apple skins/peels on a microwave-safe plate (or paper towel) in microwave.
  2. Depending upon how many you have will determine how long to cook them.
  3. Two apple peels need about 1 minute and 40 seconds on high, four apple peels a little over 2 minutes, 6 apple peels 3 minutes etc.
  4. Remove peels from microwave (they will be hot!).
  5. Spread a small amount of peanut butter on the inside of each peel.
  6. Add chocolate chips if desired.
  7. Roll up and eat!
Notes
Best when served warm.

*************

If you have a fantastic side dish or dessert recipe you wish you to share for Thanksgiving, please leave me the link in the comments!

What time is your perfect/ideal workout time?

What do you normally do with your apple peels when you peel apples for baking?

Who is working a short week this week?!

• Sara @ Lake Shore Runner November 24, 2014, 6:29 am

I am more of a fan of the Thanksgiving side dishes too! Oh and crumb on top and bottom of apple crisp – genius!

I never thought about microwaving the apple skin. You always share new things about apples with me! I’m gonna have to try this out.
    Sara @ Lake Shore Runner recently posted…Weekend Recap: Progressive Dinner, Microwave Chicken, Yogurtland Update & A Concert that Didn’t HappenMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 24, 2014, 11:36 am

Haha leave it to me for all of your apple needs! Let me know if you try it.

• Tina Muir November 24, 2014, 6:46 am

First, thanks for including my biscuits in your roundup! I know what you mean about working out at 9:45, when we run then, I have usually eaten most the cupboards, and Steve has just had one tiny slice of bread, we are total opposites when it comes to breakfast….especially pancakes haha, he can only have 1-2 big ones, and I eat 3-4! He is a ravenous monster 1 hour later though! I think its cause I love the sugary foods and he craves the lunch foods!

Anyway, WHAT A GOOD IDEA! I am definitely trying that! Sounds amazing!!
    Tina Muir recently posted…Meatless Monday- Vegetarian Cranberry and Apple StuffingMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 24, 2014, 11:36 am

I am with you – totally love the sugary/breakfast foods over the lunch/savory. After every run, I must have sweet!

• Susie @ SuzLyfe November 24, 2014, 6:57 am

I am a fan of all peels, actually. I love sweet potato skins, the peach skins, the apple skin is definitely one of my favorite parts. I think that is where all the flavor is! And it is where nutrients are, too, natch.
    I think Tripp sounds like a trip, and a magical human being. Anyone who demands that you belt out Bon Jovi is a-ok by me!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…You know Susie is Sick when…. Weekend Recap and #mimmMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 24, 2014, 11:34 am

I looove the skins of potatoes! If you like spin, u would have enjoyed Tripp’s class. The line to get into his class is insane and not one bike is empty.

• Jessie November 24, 2014, 7:14 am

You are probably the very first person I’ve ever “met” that eats the peel of apples. I mean I eat the peel, but not by itself. Haha!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 24, 2014, 11:33 am

OMG you have to try it! Slice off a peel and put in the microwave – it is so good! When I figured it out last year I was so shocked!

• Jennifer November 24, 2014, 7:20 am

I have the same purple/turquoise top – I love it. The peel with PB looks SO good. Will definitely have to try it.
    Jennifer recently posted…Charleston Half Training 11/17-11/23 – Week 3My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 24, 2014, 11:33 am

Isn’t it the best top? I love it, especially for spinning or Pure Barre classes.

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma November 24, 2014, 7:42 am

Never thought about doing anything with the apple peels but that is something to try. I love a good spin instructor, makes a huge difference in my energy and mood!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Finished! Marathon Weekend Highlights in PicturesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 24, 2014, 11:30 am

A good instructor makes a world of difference. I feel bad leaving a class in the middle but I have done it when I have encountered less than ideal instructors. If they are boring, play bad music or aren’t motivating, that one hour can be torture.

• Shannon November 24, 2014, 8:13 am

I don’t even eat a main dish on thanksgiving. It’s ALL about the sides!
    And early morning workouts are the only thing that works for me. I lose motivation and find excuses if I wait until later in the day.
    Shannon recently posted…Banana Streusel MuffinsMy Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 24, 2014, 8:36 am

You can definitely have all my apple skins! I throw them away about 99% of the time because I was never huge on the texture or the fact that they have so much waxy nastiness on them if they’re not organic. That and they give me stomach aches.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. fruit and seed granola bars .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 24, 2014, 11:29 am

How funny would it be if you went to the post office to ship apple peels to New York? lol

• Lizzy November 24, 2014, 9:02 am

I’m going to have to try the warm apple peel with peanut butter. If I’m baking for myself I’ll leave the peels on, because I kinda like them in pies, but I know other people don’t, so I’ll have to give this a shot.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 24, 2014, 11:28 am

Let me know if you try it, it’s so good! I was shocked when I discovered this last year!

• Emma @ Life's A Runner November 24, 2014, 10:34 am

I am the QUEEN of apple consumption and have never tried this! You had better believe I will be, ASAP. I lovelovelove the turkey on Thanksgiving/Christmas, but only because my favourite side is a candied sweet potato casserole that leaves me in a sugar coma if I eat too much of it. 😉
    Emma @ Life’s A Runner recently posted…Behind the ScenesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 24, 2014, 11:27 am

That’s the problem with the side dishes – knowing when to stop so we aren’t feeling sick but it’s so good and it doesn’t happen often that it becomes a tough call. Totally slice off an apple peel and try it. I love it!

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets November 28, 2014, 9:21 am

I generally just eat the whole apple, skins and all, although your method of using the leftover peels is genius. Pretty sure anything with nut butter is a winner.

I adored Jenn’s Vegetarian Thanksgiving. That lady is amazing.