Me And My Running Analogies

The winners of the Inspirational Jewelry giveaway are Shannon and Heather! The winners have been emailed – thanks to everyone for entering.

I had the pleasure of attending parent/teacher conferences this week to meet with four of my son’s middle school teachers now that the first quarter of middle school is behind us.

In between waiting for my turn to speak with each teacher, I took the liberty of cleaning out my son’s locker.

locker

Yes, I was the only mom cleaning out a locker and yes I am realizing that I might not be normal but if I didn’t do it, how else would his class pictures make it home?

I really like all of his teachers. And they really like my son which makes my life that much easier. It’s always nice when a teacher can appreciate an outgoing/social student. My phrasing for class clown.

In all seriousness, my son is super bright and I am really proud of that.

However, in talking with his lovely English teacher, she said she is recommending that all parents enforce how important it is for the children to continue reading outside of the classroom.

I have never had to get strict with the reading thing because my son loves to read but even for him lately, reading has been taking a back seat to modern technology and that’s just not okay.

I spoke to him about it last night and I made a superb analogy:

Reading is like running.

If I suddenly stop running or slack on my frequency, I am going to lose fitness which means, I will not be able to run as fast or as long as I am used to without it becoming difficult and needing some work on my part in order to return to my current level.

He was shocked.

Yes, little boy, if mommy were to give up running for a month and then one day wake up and head outside, it would feel hard.

My comfortable pace would be a struggle and it would take me time again to run the amount of miles I do right now which I know you think seems effortless.

The more you read, the better you get at it. The more regularly you run over time, the better you get at it.

The more you read, the stronger your vocabulary, the better you comprehend words and their meaning.

If you aren’t reading enough, the rest of your learning will suffer.

If I am not running, everyone around me will suffer because I need endorphins to keep me friendly.

Wait! You know what else I need?! I keep meaning to tell you about it all week!

This shirt from Wild Fox.

wildfox-run-forever-morning-sweatshirt-in-oxford

I mean, hello — Is this shirt not the story of my morning?

It really should include warm bowl of oatmeal though.

Have you seen the latest phone cases by the way from Marc Jacobs?

Marc Jacobs Phone Case

Do kids today even know what the heck a cassette tape is? I mentioned a “mix tape” to my son the other day (as I was singing Debbie Gibson’s Only In My Dreams at the top of my lungs in the car) and he hadn’t a clue what I was talking about.

And how about this as a purse?

Marc Jacobs Walkman

Looks like the Walkman my dad described in his New York City Marathon memories post.

So another running analogy was needed yesterday after we got in trouble at the orthodontist.

It was supposed to be my son’s last appointment before having his braces off but since he has failed to wear his rubber bands, he now has another five weeks.

Do you think he will wear the rubber bands? He isn’t sure is what he informed me so I informed him of the following life lesson:

You have one month left! I know you don’t want to wear them, I know they are annoying and bother you but it’s like that last half mile in a race!

You can see the finish line!

So you pick up that pace, you get a little more uncomfortable, you do what you have to do because the faster you cooperate, the faster you cross the finish!

And on that note, I think he is ready for the weekend with his dad where he can steer clear of the running analogies for a few days.

Have a terrific weekend!

******************

If you are running a race this weekend, is today your rest day or tomorrow?

Do you remember making “mix-tapes”?

Are you a big reader? Do you use a Kindle type thing or like an actual book? I enjoy a real book, I am old-fashioned.

• Sara @ Lake Shore Runner November 21, 2014, 6:26 am

That analogy is spot on! Nice work. I never was a big reader growing up (guilty) but I definitely agree the more you do it the better you become just like running. Happy Friday!
    Sara @ Lake Shore Runner recently posted…Sharing the Love [Survey] & Friday FavoritesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 21, 2014, 10:26 am

I was a great reader if I fell in love with a series – like The Babysitters Club.

• jill conyers November 21, 2014, 6:31 am

We’re a family of readers! Some books are worthy of buying the hard copy. Others? A reader is fine. My kids have seen that phone case and they think it’s so cool!
    jill conyers recently posted…I Could Never Do ThatMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 21, 2014, 10:26 am

I like to go to the library so I don’t have to pay for the books. Certain ones are worth buying as you say and certain ones, even if I enjoy them, I wont read again.

• Tina muir November 21, 2014, 7:07 am

Haha I love your analogies, and very true actually! I bet your son loves them too 😉 It is funny about the cassette tapes, and no I bet they don’t know what they are. Steve and I were watching a tv show last night, and it was on tv from 2004-2007, and looking at their phones was hilarious!! And that really wasnt that long ago! Its actually kinda scary!
    Tina muir recently posted…Winter Running- What to Wear at Every TemperatureMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 21, 2014, 10:25 am

Isn’t it crazy how far technology has come in only the last few years? Try watching Seinfeld to see the super large cordless phones!

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine November 21, 2014, 7:48 am

My plan is to rest today and tomorrow! Although I have started to feel like I want to do a shake out run tomorrow but I keep telling myself to just rest. One of my coworkers had a phone case like that and everyone who saw it would be like “is that a cassette tape”? Although Im sure most kids have no idea what a cassette tape is. That shirt is amazing!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Final Race ThoughtsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 21, 2014, 10:24 am

I know right, we totally need that shirt. I am so excited for you for Sunday! I like a three mile run the day before a half but that’s a half- not a marathon. You do what you feel most comfortable with. I am sure running a few or choosing to rest won’t make a difference – you are totally ready!

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables November 21, 2014, 7:53 am

That really is a good analogy! I used to read all the time, but I must admit that now my reading time is usually consumed with blog reading 😉 I need to get a good book to get my eyes off the computer sometimes!
    Liz @ I Heart Vegetables recently posted…Currently: NovemberMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 21, 2014, 10:24 am

There are only so many hours in a day to get it all in, don’t you think? I am trying to unplug more and switch to an actual book or magazine later in the day.

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma November 21, 2014, 7:55 am

I really love reading but lately tech/internet has definitely being coming before books! I love looking at my bookshelf and all the books I’ve read over the years and really want to get back into it. Maybe once the marathon’s done and I can stay up past 9:30. Can’t believe you cleaned your son’s locker!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Chewy Cranberry Chocolate Chip CookiesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 21, 2014, 10:23 am

I have been trying to get back into my routine of reading a book at night. Lately it’s been working. Yeah, I totally cleaned out the locker but in fairness, my son asked me if I would take a peak and see if it needed some help lol.

• Shannon November 21, 2014, 8:00 am

I love reading, but lately it’s only been textbooks. Not the most exciting thing but it’s all I have time for!
    Cassette tapes are so funny to think back on. My first one was Blondie and I listened to it on repeat for hours!
    Shannon recently posted…What would it be like…?My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 21, 2014, 10:22 am

I remember listening to Michael Jackson in my Fisher Price brown cassette player!

• Susie @ SuzLyfe November 21, 2014, 8:42 am

I got my mom a kindle and then fell in love with it myself. I read the Count of Monte Christo and numerous classics on it while on the spin bike and treadmill (hello, if the copyright is expired, they are free!). I think that reading, playing the piano, typing, running, cooking, anything that requires that you put an effort towards it in order to get quality in return–all of these things require that you flex that muscle. Which takes training and practice! You learn to read and in so doing you learn to speak more clearly and better–your vocabulary and comprehension also expands. Every part of it is just so important!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Live Life Fully: Prana Clothing Review with Sweat PinkMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 21, 2014, 10:22 am

I should try a kindle just so I don’t need to run out to the library every time I want a new book.

• Lizzy November 21, 2014, 9:02 am

Your analogies are great!

I love to read, but real books only for me. I recently tried a kindle book on my laptop and the whole experience was terrible.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 21, 2014, 10:20 am

My son has a Kindle, I should try it out rather than thinking it’s not for me. Although, I really do like an actual book. From the library!

• Kirtley @ The Gist of Fit November 21, 2014, 9:30 am

I luhuuuv that you’re teaching your son the importance of reading! Go you, super mom! I like Kindle on my phone…haven’t graduated to the real thing yet. Otherwise I love real books.oh and audible is amazing for listening to books! Gets you through way more!
    Kirtley @ The Gist of Fit recently posted…Meal planning and meal prep—why they’re essential to a healthy lifestyleMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 21, 2014, 10:19 am

My son actually reads books on his phone which I can’t even grasp why, the screen seems so small to me!

• Rebecca@RunningFoodBaby November 21, 2014, 12:51 pm

haha, I do remember mixed tapes!

Funny enough we were just looking at some stats from a survey and although lots of teens spend oodles of time watching tv/working out/on phones – they barely spend time reading for fun. Time spent reading also decreased the older they got!
    Rebecca@RunningFoodBaby recently posted…Thinking Out Loud Thursday: Winter is coming EditionMy Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 21, 2014, 6:14 pm

I’m definitely with you on being old fashioned and liking to use a real book. I get the convenience of a kindle, but I can’t get away from the smell and feel of paper and ink. And you better believe I remember mix tapes! I had soooooo many of them, and I even found some the last time I was going through my room at my parents’ house, but I have no idea what’s on them because I couldn’t find a cassette player to play them in 😆

• Eva November 22, 2014, 12:45 pm

i’m running the philly marathon tomorrow so i took a complete rest day yesterday and did some yoga/stretching this morning 🙂 and real book for sure! come on it’s all about getting cozy with a real hearty book– kindle just doesn’t have the same feeeeel 😉