TOL-Build-A-Bear, Maoz, Playing Hooky

First things first.

Thinking-Out-Loud

If you knew about this Gloria Jeans coffee flavor and didn’t tell me, I am reconsidering our friendship.

Brown Sugar Cake K Cup

Brown Sugar Cake?! It is like THE BEST coffee flavor ever to the point where I think it rivals my all-time favorite coffee, Green Mountain’s Golden French Toast.

Or maybe, which is entirely possible, it tastes just about identical to the Golden French Toast which is why I love it so much.

You must try this Brown Sugar Cake coffee along side an English muffin with peanut butter. Or anything with a spread of peanut butter. The combo is just divine.

On Tuesday I attended a special Grand Opening event for the Build-A-Bear Workshop pop-up shop in Times Square which is opening just in time for the start of the holiday shopping season.

Build A Bear Times Square

Since I am a cool mom, and since the weather was gorgeous, I decided it was okay just this one time to allow my son to play hooky from school so that he could come along for the fun.

Build-A-Bear was launching their new Frozen merchandise so we received a special Olaf the Snowman bear in our goodie bag along with a gift card, m&m’s and giant snowflake cookies.

snowflake cookies

Either he was savoring the moment or I just took a bad picture.

Build A Bear Times Square

He may think he is some cool tween but he still appreciates a cute teddy bear.

Build A Bear New York

There were two Build-A-Bear New York exclusives so we went with the New York City bear with the cute apple nose even though the Yankees fan in me wanted the bear on the right too.

The best part of the whole event was that for every bear made, another bear was donated to the YMCA Toys For Tots collection for the holidays.

Build A Bear

We didn’t dress our bear because we kind of liked him the way he was.

Build-A-Bear

So part of the not going to school deal which I made with my son was that he must agree to Maoz for lunch directly following the Build-A-Bear event.

Maoz

I load my bowl embarrassingly high but there is no sign that says I can’t so why wouldn’t I take advantage?

And then he talked me into that banana pudding again from the Magnolia Bakery because he claims it was the best dessert of his life.

Magnolia Bakery Banana Pudding

I am not one to deny someone the best dessert of their life but I only allowed a small cup this time, not the medium. I mean, the kid just had a giant snowflake cookie and the medium banana pudding cup was only acceptable on his birthday.

Do I feel guilty taking him out of school? Yes and no.

Days like this, days where your mom lets you skip school because she is taking you into the city for a special event in Times Square which includes building teddy bears, giant cookies, lunch and the best dessert of one’s life is the stuff that makes memories.

Not to mention walking several city blocks and avenues is great exercise and children need exercise.

I like to think that the fun part is what will stand out when he looks back on our time together rather than focus on the my mom always made me eat lunch at a vegetarian salad bar and only let me have a small cup of banana pudding part of the day.

And anyway, we have been working real hard these days with the school thing that a random Tuesday off was justified.

cereal experiment

We conducted a super serious science experiment last week trying to determine which cereal would stay crunchy the longest when combined with milk.

Which do you think? Count Chocula, Crispix or Cheerios?

Count Chocula

And this week? We are working on building a Dunkin Donuts store out of a box to represent a plant cellular system.

Dunkin Donuts

Don’t ask me because I don’t understand this either. I will just blame it on the implementation of the Common Core way of thinking like everyone else does.

Be sure to check out what everyone else is thinking about today!

************

Do you remember staying home from school even when you weren’t sick? What did you do?

Favorite cereal at the moment? Favorite as a kid?

Favorite K Cup coffee?

• Susie @ SuzLyfe October 30, 2014, 6:38 am

OMG I totally remember and had to do the same assignment (to represent the cellular structure with a comparable system. I did a riding ring, with the trainer at the center as the nucleus. I’m glad that things haven’t changed too much in the decade.5 since!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…NYC, Running Late, Autumn, Sproing, $13m Condos, Thinking Out LoudMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 30, 2014, 3:07 pm

Maybe you should come to NY to do these assignments and as a reward we can go to the Popover Café.

• Ashley @ Kickashmom October 30, 2014, 7:02 am

I’ve alway s wante d to build a bear. I’ve hinted to every boyfriend I’ve had and non of them got the freakin hint. Ah well, I’ll buy my own one day.

I’m thinking count chocula on the cereal.
    Ashley @ Kickashmom recently posted…ResultsMy Profile

• Fran@BCDC October 30, 2014, 7:33 am

That coffee sounds incredible!! Have to look for it. Have a great day!
    Fran@BCDC recently posted…Thinking Out Loud #3My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 30, 2014, 3:04 pm

It’s definitely worth finding, my favorite coffee flavor ever I think!

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 30, 2014, 7:33 am

Coolest mom of the year award goes to you! I’m not sure that my mom ever let me play hooky from school, but it wasn’t too hard to convince her that I was “sick” so that I could stay home and play video games 😆 And I’m with you on the bears being the best without any outfits on. As cute as some of them are, they kind of ruin the cuteness of the bear.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. thinking out loud # 102 .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 30, 2014, 3:03 pm

Yeah the outfits are cute but sometimes just too much. I loved staying home from school to watch Nickelodeon and play with my Barbies.

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma October 30, 2014, 7:48 am

My husband would die over that dunkin donuts assignment! He’s a little obsessed with dd, but yes, odd assignment. I feel like 2nd grade is already in another language. That coffee flavor looks yummy, I want some!
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…A Runner’s Brain During Peak Training – Thinking Out LoudMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 30, 2014, 3:02 pm

Second grade totally began the other language and sixth grade is just bizarre sometimes lol. Best coffee flavor ever, you need it. My son chose to do this project on Dunkin Donuts and I think he chose it because we would need the box which meant I would need to take him to get the box which meant he would sucker me into either the donuts or Baskin Robbins at the same time. It worked.

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine October 30, 2014, 8:44 am

I used to love the random days when I was allowed to stay home from school but not sick! They were far and few between but I do remember being around 10 and getting to go shopping with my mom and grandmother. I remember wondering if when you grow up that’s what you get to do all day.
    Ugh common core can be blamed for everything…I have no idea how to help the kids I work with because they learn everything so much differently than how I learned it!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Lots of Questions and Random Ramblings (TOL #23)My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 30, 2014, 3:00 pm

Like why can’t 2 + 2= 4 just because it does? We need explanations and theories behind it now?

• Lish October 30, 2014, 9:07 am

haha- oh common core…
    also- Tuesday off to hang in the city??!! Best mom ever!
    Lish recently posted…Tapering in BreckMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 30, 2014, 3:00 pm

Thank you, I think that I am lol. Have a safe flight later and a terrific race on Sunday!

• Kirtley @ The Gist of Fit October 30, 2014, 9:26 am

Don’t you dare feel bad for taking him out of school 🙂 Looks like he’ll always remember that and LOVE the memory!

Once a year my dad let us come to work with him for a day. We looked forward to that like it was Christmas day haha. It helped that he gave us tons of candy while we were there 😉
    Kirtley @ The Gist of Fit recently posted…Why we get burned out with our health goalsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 30, 2014, 2:59 pm

That’s so exciting and now you have that memory. So great! And I am sure the candy party was so fun then, as it would be now too!

• Alysia @ Slim Sanity October 30, 2014, 9:41 am

I don’t really buy cereal anymore, but my favorites are Frosted Flakes, Honey Nut Cheerios, and Honeycomb! I buy Kashi GoLean now which is pretty awesome, too. 🙂
    Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted…Alcohol Nutrition Label – Where Is It?My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 30, 2014, 2:59 pm

I don’t buy much cereal these days either but loved Life and Cocoa Pebbles and Cookie Crisp and Waffle Crisp and the Honey Nut Cheerios too!

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl October 30, 2014, 12:53 pm

I LOVE Build-A-Bear! As a kid I made a black bear and he wore a camo outfit. I used to love that thing 😉
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…“No Chicken” Noodle Chickpea Soup (Recipe Revisted)My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 30, 2014, 2:58 pm

I am old because they didn’t have Build-A-Bear when I was a kid. I would have loved it though! Part of me would love to enjoy American Girl dolls too.

• Sarah @ Sweet Miles October 30, 2014, 6:00 pm

I have some K cup flavors that are Caramel Macchiato! SO. Good. Seriously, I look forward to making my coffee every morning!
    Sarah @ Sweet Miles recently posted…Mizuno Wave Rider 18 ReviewMy Profile

• natasha October 30, 2014, 7:54 pm

Golden Grahams from childhood….haven’t had it for years though!

Which cereal one? Crispix would have been my guess.

I faked illnesses all the time to stay home but my mama was great about letting me stay anyway…she was always up for an adventure (:

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 31, 2014, 10:45 am

Would you believe that the Crispix was the first cereal to mush in the milk?

• Jessie October 30, 2014, 8:57 pm

I think taking your child out for school even if not sick is acceptable, as long as it’s not an all the time occurrence & your kids grades are where they need to be. There are times in life that making memories with your child and seeing that extra smile on their face is worth it. My Dad worked out of town my whole life (still does to this day – 2 wks gone, 1 wkd home, do it all over) – and we’d always miss some part of school to greet him @ the airport. Every few months or so he’d even take us to the movies.
    Jessie recently posted…FitFluential Friday #5My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 31, 2014, 10:44 am

Exactly. Once in a while, and when I say once in a while I mean like once a year, taking him out of school for something fun is acceptable, so long as he is caught up on schoolwork and not missing anything that will affect him negatively.

• Arman @ thebigmansworld November 1, 2014, 11:25 pm

Just when I previously mentioned Maoz you bring this up -argh. Okay, less than 2 weeks.

The last time I was in NYC i bought a keurig machine, brought it back to australia and plugged it into the wall and BROKE it. Seriously considering buying another one when I’m there- I still have all the k cups I bought!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Sunday SessionsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles November 3, 2014, 10:07 am

OMGosh you flew back with the Keurig and it broke? That’s awful. They should have sent you a new one….I love Maoz! You must tell me when you are going if you know in advance so I can come!