NYC Marathon And Chocolate Donuts

My earliest memory of the New York City Marathon revolves around a chocolate donut.

Of course it does. All of my memories are linked to food.

I was eight years old, standing on the corner (of First Avenue?) with my mom waiting to see my dad pass by as he ran the Marathon…but we missed him.

Because I needed a chocolate donut from the coffee shop.

It was worth it, I swear – a chocolate frosted donut with the vanilla cake inside, you know, like a classic Entenmann’s donut?

Entenmann's Chocolate Donuts

I may never run the New York City Marathon (or any 26.2 for that matter) but lucky for us, my dad ran this marathon three times.

1986-NYCM

Since the marathon is this Sunday and the hoopla has already begun, I thought it would be fun to have my dad share some of his experiences with us.

What I like about sharing his stories with you is that he was far from an elite runner.

In fact, I call him the caboose.

He finished last in plenty of races and we always joke that he barely beat the ambulances at the end of the pack.

I also really like how detailed his memories are which fascinates me since sometimes I find races to be a blur.

Today I am going to share his thoughts from his first ever New York City Marathon, and as you will see, his recap sounds as though he ran this race yesterday…

1986-NYCM

I decided to take up running in the 1980’s in addition to the other sports that I played, figuring  it would just be an occasional thing, mainly for exercise.

I slowly started signing up and running 5K races, followed by 10k races and even half marathons. My friends started running with me too.

I was never one to train properly, but I set my sights on the NYC Marathon in 1986.

I was always a heavier runner. I guess we can say that I was classified, as Runner’s World would call it, a Clydesdale.

When I was accepted for the 1986 NYC Marathon I was filled with joy, pride and fear.

What had I gotten myself into?

I had talked about this for so long and promoted myself to the point that I knew I had to do it.

On November 2, 1986, I was ready for the biggest challenge of my life.

There I was, at Fort Hamilton in Staten Island, freezing, at 7:00 in the morning, along with thousands of other runners.

I chose to start all the way in the back. The starting time counted down and the fear inside of me was building. Then the cannon was shot and the 1986 NYC Marathon was a reality.

I slowly made my way towards the true starting line and eventually crossed it. I  was on my way to Brooklyn.

1986 NYCM

It was quite an experience crossing the Verrazano Bridge and feeling it sway underneath me.

There were helicopters flying above and fire boats spraying water below.

I felt pretty good, but knew there was a long, long way to go.

I made my way through the Brooklyn streets with cheering spectators and all kinds of entertainment provided for the runners.

I felt tired, at times, but more than that, I was cold. I just couldn’t warm up.

Dressing in layers is the right way to run. My problem?  I was in shorts and a t-shirt. I left my layers at the start line.

He could have used my advice on cold weather workout essentials. Too bad I was only eight years old and my life revolved around donuts and Barbie dolls, not to mention there was no internet for blog writing anyway.

I slowed down during water stops but kept plugging along and finally crossed the 59th Street Bridge, the gateway to Manhattan, the fourth borough of the five I would need to run through before reaching the finish line.

As I made my way over the bridge, I was so cold and exhausted, I didn’t know if I’d be able to continue.

I kept thinking, this race can’t end on a bus ride to the finish line.

I finally stopped at the first-aid station, right before the end of the bridge.

Someone looked me over and gave me some kind of lemon drink.

All of a sudden, I had a burst of energy. I was moving my legs, easily, and felt great. I wasn’t going to set any records, but I felt I had a shot to finish. I don’t know what they gave me at the aid station, but I wanted more.

Hello, this is why runners are supposed to carry fuel! You can’t run a marathon without fuel!

Around 96th street I saw two of my friends, part of my Bellmore Bozo running team. They had come to the city to cheer me on from the sidelines and that gave me a boost.

This is the part where I was in the coffee shop eating a donut!

After some laughs and encouragement, I was now alone again, running towards the Bronx, the fifth borough.

I was really alone, as there weren’t a lot of runners remaining.

I kept moving, realizing that there was no stopping now. It was getting darker and colder, but I wasn’t going to give up.

I had my Walkman radio headphones tuned to the radio station covering the Marathon which kept me motivated.

I just couldn’t give up.

As I wound my way into Central Park, the crowds were getting larger and noisier. It was nice that they stayed around for the late finishers.

The winding roads and hills in the park were presenting a late race challenge. I heard loud music and loudspeakers blaring.

My shirt had my name on it and I heard someone yell,

“Come on Murray, you can do it.”

1986 NYCM Finish Line

As I crossed the finish line, sprinting, at 6:15:02, I couldn’t believe it. I had actually run and finished the New York City Marathon.

My time was terrible, but I didn’t care.  I was just too happy and exhausted to care about anything.

1986-NYCM

There were no cell phones back then so my mom and I were waiting at my aunt’s apartment (eating chicken, of course I remember what I ate) wondering where the heck my dad was already.

It was dark outside, who could still be running in the dark when the race started in the morning?!

My thoughts as a child obviously. I mean, who knows how long it would take me to run a marathon.

As a kid I didn’t get it, I didn’t understand why my father spoke so often about the Marathon or why he whipped out his wallet-sized finish line photo to anyone who would look.

It’s a major accomplishment and I am in awe of all of you, including my father, who run the 26.2.

*******************

Favorite type of donut?

Are you running the NYCM this weekend?!

Do you remember all of your thoughts during races or are they mostly a blur?

• Jessie October 28, 2014, 6:18 am

What a fun and inspiring post to read. Major congratulations to your Dad for never giving up, even when thoughts of taking the bus to the finish line crossed his mind. Aside from how amazing your Dad sounds, I love the part where he mentioned wearing Walkman radio headphones. Mainly since electronics have come a long way since. Haha!
    Jessie recently posted…Back & Bicep WorkoutMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 28, 2014, 2:37 pm

Ha- remember those old headphones and cassette tapes and actual CD’s? It’s so funny how ancient we sound when you look at modern technology. My son has no clue what a mix tape is lol.

• Jennifer October 28, 2014, 6:50 am

What a fun post! Loved the pictures of all the marathon collateral (bib/program) and the finish line pic. It was great to year your dad’s thoughts.
    Jennifer recently posted…Barre for Beginners – Tips and LessonsMy Profile

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine October 28, 2014, 7:18 am

That is such a great story! I love the he talks about listening to his walkman!! I would love to run the NYCM someday but more for the experience and not as a goal race.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Letting GoMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 28, 2014, 2:35 pm

Ha, remember when we had Walkman’s with the radio and a cassette player? Or even that bulky Discman?!

• Susie @ SuzLyfe October 28, 2014, 7:25 am

This is so great! I love stories like this, both as a window in to the personal mindset of a runner, fast or “caboose,” as well as a look back at what running was in years past, and the general understanding of it. I think that we have all had that panic attack whether in the race itself or before it, of “what if I get swept?” And I think that it goes to show that all runners have the same fears. What a monumental undertaking, and you returned for more rounds, which is even more impressive!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Marathon Weight Gain and Why It’s a Good ThingMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 28, 2014, 2:35 pm

It’s truly interesting to see how similar we runners are and it fascinates me how my dad recalls everything so vividly. It’s funny how even though that marathon was 1986, the running aspect is basically the same. Timeless!

• Michele @ paleorunningmomma October 28, 2014, 7:41 am

Half my childhood memories involve those chocolate donuts! My dad and I used to get those along with some other Entenmanns goodie as a ritual pretty often. That and charms lollipops.

What a great and inspirational story from your dad! The NYCM definitely hold a special magic for people around NY. I really hope to run it in one of the coming years.
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…5 Signs Your “Inspiration” is a Negative TriggerMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 28, 2014, 2:33 pm

Entenmann’s has a special place in my heart too. All of their holiday goodies – I keep looking for their Halloween cupcakes with the candy corns and I always loved the chocolate crumb donuts…Love Charms lollipops too!

• Carmy October 28, 2014, 9:00 am

Lol! That was a great story! Your dad is a champ!!!
    Carmy recently posted…Scotiabank Half Marathon 2014 Race ReportMy Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 28, 2014, 9:28 am

I have some pretty salient childhood memories that revolve around donuts as well… Chocolate glazed were always my favourite, but I also had a soft spot in my heart for honey crullers and maple glazed. Then again, I’d even settle for a plain chocolate dipped with sprinkles. Donuts were just fabulous all around. And I’m with you on being in awe of anyone who can finish a marathon… Something I can’t even imagine at this point.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. spoons, sprinkles, & minty greens .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 28, 2014, 2:32 pm

I always loved a pink frosted with sprinkles because they were pretty…I still love a chocolate crème filled from Dunkin Donuts and will forever love the Entenmann’s chocolate crumb topped chocolate donuts even though you have no clue what those are, I am telling you anyway 🙂

• Shannon October 28, 2014, 12:38 pm

I was never really big on donuts. Cinnamon rolls from the can were always want I would pick instead, but I do have some fond memories of going to Krispy Kreme in the middle of the night on more than one occasion. Yay for places being open 24 hours!
    Shannon recently posted…Being Appreciative and Putting Things In PerspectiveMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 28, 2014, 2:30 pm

When Krispy Kreme first opened in Manhattan, I totally drove in with my best friend for donuts late at night!

• Lauren @ ihadabiglunch October 29, 2014, 12:58 pm

This is going to sound pretty shallow but man I can’t imagine running, much less a MARATHON, without the technology that we have today. Whoa. Music is what really gets me through my runs! And idk if it’s just this week but donut photos have been all over the blog world lately and it’s amazing! haha
    Lauren @ ihadabiglunch recently posted…Crockpot Apple (Cider) SauceMy Profile

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets October 31, 2014, 7:00 am

Congratulations Dad!! Anyone who can run a marathon gets major props from me. I bow before you. 🙂

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 31, 2014, 10:43 am

From me too because it is a really challenging race both mentally and physically, not that I have done it lol.