What We Ate – Birthday Edition

It isn’t often that you find people who actually care to hear you ramble on about a fudge cake or a delicious restaurant.

wiawphotobutton

In fact, my friends and family often look at me funny when I take cake selecting and restaurant menus so seriously.

I’m so glad you share in my excitement just so I can recap my son’s birthday with you in food on this What I Ate Wednesday.

Let’s start with Sunday brunch which happened at The Smith in Manhattan. I took the birthday boy to the city for the day to enjoy the fall weather, some good food and birthday shopping.

He is realizing that I am super cool because I take him to trendy places which require reservations even at 11:30 am and serve BLT & E’s on croissants with mounds of French fries.

croissant blt

I went with an Ahi Tuna Salad thing plus the mandatory side of roasted Brussels Sprouts.

ahi tuna

I have learned to request my roasted vegetables extra crispy. Make sure you do the same.

roasted brussels sprouts

I was hoping for dessert at The Smith because I spotted several other tables ordering the plates of warm donuts but my son was full so we decided to start walking around and pick up a dessert a bit later in the day.

After the NHL Store, we found ourselves in the Magnolia Bakery.

magnolia bakery

I just feel the need to say that every time my son and I walk around the city I make it a point to remind him how lucky he is to hang out in Manhattan as if it is nothing while people around the world dream of coming here and plan travel vacations to do the things we do on a regular basis.

Sometimes people, including myself as a child, take living here for granted and I want him to appreciate and somehow understand this concept.

One thing we don’t do on a regular basis is order banana pudding for dessert but I suggested that he try it since Magnolia is kinda famous for it.

magnola bakery banana pudding

The dessert side of my brain thinks only in chocolate but I must say, this banana pudding thing was pretty tasty.

It was like eating frosting and cake crumbs with a spoon and the banana part didn’t jump out at me like oh, you are eating bananas for dessert. Do I even make sense?! Just try it, you will see what I mean.

If that wasn’t enough for the sweet tooth, we headed to the candy section of FAO Schwartz (FAO Schweetz) shortly after the banana pudding.

fao schweetz

I spent more money on a bag of candy than I care to admit but it was for his birthday and I couldn’t say no.

Birthdays mean lots of sweet things which is exactly why I needed to load up the birthday cake pancakes Monday morning for breakfast since it was his actual birthday.

birthday cake pancake batter

I was short on time so I used Kodiak Cakes pancake mix instead of taking the from-scratch route. I added to the mix some mashed banana, mini dark chocolate chips and lots of sprinkles to make the pancakes look all funfetti and birthday party-ish.

birthday cake pancakes

With Mighty Maple peanut butter spread between each pancake layer and extra bananas and chocolate chips on top to make up for the fact that I was out of whipped cream which I usually use on top of the stack for birthday pancake breakfasts.

birthday cake pancakes

Birthdays on a Monday aren’t always fun but I made sure that we continued to celebrate after school.

After a trip to the Nike Store so that my son could use a birthday gift card, we stopped at Vincent’s Clam Bar for dinner.

meatballs and lasagna

Lots of parmigiana happened on my son’s plate while I opted for the Zucchini Marinara which I requested to include primavera vegetables to make it a bigger and more satisfying meal.

zucchini primavera

And of course I ordered the Burnt Broccoli (extra burnt) because I am a sucker for roasted vegetables.

burnt broccoli

It doesn’t matter how many vegetables I consume which tend to make my stomach fuller than full, I always have a separate area reserved for dessert, especially cake.

cold stone birthday cake

After serious cake contemplating, I went with a custom-ordered Cold Stone Creamery layer cake.

cold stone birthday cake

I know you want all of the details:

The ice cream flavors:

The Frosting:

• Chocolate Ganache with chocolate shavings

On Top:

• Cookie Dough
  • Peanut Butter Cups

cold stone birthday cake

Just admit that you want me in charge of your next birthday cake.

I should probably set up a business of cake selecting. I don’t want to be in charge of making it, just selecting, designing and ordering someone else around on how to make it.

Like a cake architect if you will.

cold stone birthday cake

The only problem with me in charge is that I will probably help myself to half of the cake.

A few slices (literally) of this cake Monday night fueled me up real nice for Tuesday morning’s run.

Worth every bite.

Be sure to check out what everyone else is eating today!

***************

Ever have the banana pudding from Magnolia Bakery?

What candy/toppings would you have ordered mixed in to your Cold Stone Creamery cake?

Do you have a favorite restaurant you like to go to for special occasions?

• Ashley @ Kickashmom October 8, 2014, 6:17 am

I was waiting for that pancake cake! I’m going to request one for my next birthday. I’ll be sure to direct my bf to your post. 🙂
    Ashley @ Kickashmom recently posted…PerspectiveMy Profile

• Tina muir October 8, 2014, 6:56 am

Oh my god! I am SO jealous of this day! I have ALWAYS wanted a cold stone cake, that banana pudding looks and sounds so good, and you KNOW I love those pancakes! Can I come to your house next august 6?
    Tina muir recently posted…Beanfields Snacks ReviewMy Profile

• Susie @ SuzLyfe October 8, 2014, 8:19 am

This is insanity.
    I LIKE INSANE PEOPLE.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Wasabi Ginger Soy Crusted Salmon Recipe (Gluten Free options)My Profile

• Linda @ The Fitty October 8, 2014, 8:32 am

Whoa whoa whoa….is that seared tuna? Cooked on the outside and raw on the inside??

I can’t stop gushing over the perfection that is.
    Linda @ The Fitty recently posted…What Is Wrong With Me?My Profile

• Sarah October 8, 2014, 8:59 am

okay those meals are killing me. You win. I want it all. The pancakes, FAO schwartz, the COLDSTONE CAKE. My mom ordered me one for my 18th birthday but that was during a time when eating a sliver of cake sent me to tears so I didn’t enjoy it nearly as much as I would now. I. Need. Cake batter. Pancakes.
    Sarah recently posted…Things I’ve Learning from SpinningMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 8, 2014, 10:09 am

There is nothing worse than having JUST A SLIVER of cake. You need a make-up cake so that you can enjoy it. And I want to be there when you have it lol

• Jessie October 8, 2014, 10:13 am

I don’t even know what to say besides I”m completely jealous of the way you celebrate your sons birthday. Will you be my 2nd mom? Ha!!
    Jessie recently posted…WIAW: October 7, 2014My Profile

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl October 8, 2014, 10:59 am

I now have a MAJOR french fry craving… at 9:30 in the morning 😉
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…WIAW: October 8, 2014 (Recent Eats)My Profile

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 8, 2014, 11:24 am

My dessert brain thinks only in chocolate as well, and I 100% approve of your choice of cake… minus the PB, obviously 😛 But hooooooly smokes, do I ever want it. My birthday is in January… that should give you plenty of time to come up with an amazing cake option for me, right? 😀
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. flourless apple cinnamon muffins .My Profile

• Emily @ Sweets and Beets October 8, 2014, 12:54 pm

That tuna salad looks delicious .. but I’m totalllyyyy drooling over your cake and pancakes!!! Also, Magnolia’s banana pudding is to die for!! What a great food week 🙂

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 9, 2014, 6:00 am

I was impressed with the banana pudding which says a lot coming from a chocolate lover.

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables October 8, 2014, 3:37 pm

Holy monkeys that cake looks good! And those pancakes!!! You’re such a cool mom 🙂 I hope your son had an awesome birthday! (I mean, how could he not with all of that delicious food haha)

• Rachel October 8, 2014, 8:43 pm

those birthday pancakes are such an awesome idea!

• Katie October 8, 2014, 9:46 pm

I love the Smith, I live around the corner! Those brussel sprouts are the bomb, I order them all.the.time- but unfortunately they are deep fried (not roasted, my heart was broken) so watch out for that 🙁 But great for a special occasion!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 9, 2014, 5:59 am

Love those Brussels sprouts, the crispier the better. It’s always the case in restaurants that the crispy/roasted vegetables are going to involve more oil than if you make it at home but they are so good and worth it!

• GiGi Eats October 9, 2014, 12:49 am

AHI TUNA SALAD = GOOD MOOD FOOD!!! Girl, YOU ARE ON IT! And those roasted brussels sprouts just make so HAPPY just looking at them!
    GiGi Eats recently posted…Good Mood Food: We Could All Use SomeMy Profile

• Cat October 9, 2014, 3:17 am

I don’t just want you in charge of my cake, I want you in charge of my holidays! I just got back from NYC and didn’t go to any of these places (ok, I went to Magnolia but I had NO IDEA about the pudding!) What an amazing birthday!
    Cat recently posted…(WIAW) What I Ate Wednesday #50: Lazy Leftovers – and a Lunar Eclipse?My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 9, 2014, 5:58 am

Don’t feel bad, there are soooo many good places to eat in the city that it just isn’t possible to get them all in at once!

• Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets October 9, 2014, 5:53 am

I’ve never had a cold stone creamery cake. In fact, I could count on one hand the amount of times I’ve eaten ice cream cakes in general. When I hear dessert, I do not think chocolate (for shame), although I would love anything with fruit, and I don’t mean a healthified dessert. I’d like there be some lovely butter, cream and sugar in the mix as well. All that being said, I’d let you pick my next cake, especially since I’ve just shared my criteria.

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 9, 2014, 5:34 pm

I never usually want ice cream cake unless the ice cream cake involves a fudge frosting and actual cake layer in between. Which is exactly why I like Cold Stone cakes (and Baskin Robbins)….I can’t relate to your nonchocolate dessert thoughts but I can totally enjoy an apple pie or crisp with you!

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine October 10, 2014, 11:04 am

Everything looks amazing! Our favorite place to go for special occasions is Fleming’s steakhouse- their molten chocolate lava cake is the best!
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…What Does Turning 31 Mean To Me?My Profile

Next post: