WIAW- October Happenings

I thought about skipping out on the What I Ate Wednesday fun this week because it is suddenly October 1st and we need to discuss some happenings.

But…. WIAW is part of my routine and without my routine I feel all sorts of off-balance and I don’t want to be off-balance so I figured out how to make today What I Ate Wednesday which wasn’t difficult since most of what I do revolves around eating anyway.

wiaw fall into good habits button (2)

Lots of exciting things are penciled all over my October calendar and while it’s possible you could care less what I have going on, I think I will tell you anyway because I feel like it.

october-happenings-header

october-happenings

October 6th

My son’s birthday is on Monday.  He is going to turn eleven.

Do you hear me?  Eleven. 11. ELEVEN.

Like really? How the heck did that happen so fast.

benji

I sort of feel like I just gave birth and didn’t sleep for months (if not years) because he was a nursing monster who quickly grew into some kid who thought he could share my ice cream.

benji

He wants a dog for his birthday. I have been told he will accept nothing more and nothing less.

Part of me wonders though if making another stack of birthday pancakes this year for breakfast and letting him skip Hebrew school for the day will suffice.

birthday pancakes

Last year’s birthday breakfast “pancake cake” which involved Kodiak Cakes pancake mix, sprinkles, chocolate chips and whipped cream.

Of course I am currently working on picking the right birthday cake.

birthday cakes

When I say “right”, I mean chocolate. The right amount of chocolate….Stay tuned…

October 11th

Opening Night For My New York Islanders.

Actually, I should call this the last opening night at the Nassau Coliseum since the Islanders will be moving to Brooklyn to play at the Barclays Center after this season.

islanders in brooklyn

If I struggled with Jeter retiring last week, I can’t even imagine or discuss just yet this topic of the Coliseum being no more and my team moving to a borough I rarely, and I mean rarely, venture off to.

Although I should really reconsider this especially since the Peter Pan Bakery is in Brooklyn and they have the best donuts ever.

For now let’s just look forward to the start of hockey season and the fact that we already planned out dinner before the game…

zucchini marinara

Just like last year’s opening night, we will be going to Vincent’s Clam Bar so I can have the Zucchini Marinara followed once again by dessert after the game at Friendly’s for the Crowd Pleaser Sundae…

friendlys crowd pleaser

Twelve scoops of ice cream plus six toppings may sound like a lot but it really isn’t if you are sharing with me.

October 16th

Fitness Magazine Meet and Tweet time again!!

fitness magazine meet and tweet

I am so excited. Last year’s Meet and Tweet was so super awesome that I am honored and thrilled to have been invited once again to take part in all of the fun.

And my plan for this year is to make a pit stop at Maoz just like I did last year so that I can load up on my vegetarian favorites.

maoz

I am never without a food plan.

October 17th- October 19th

rwhalf

Not only am I headed to Pennsylvania to run the Runner’s World Hat Trick (5k, 10k and half marathon) but I am so looking forward to meeting and spending some time with my fellow running/blogging friends and experiencing all that Runner’s World has to offer throughout the weekend.

I even signed up already for a few of the seminars!

And really, my excitement over finally meeting Sarah and eating ice cream with her can’t be put into words.

cold stone sundae

I don’t know for sure if there is a Cold Stone in Bethlehem, PA (yes I already tried googling and haven’t found one just yet) but I did see a few ice cream/dessert shops that are on the radar.

October 31st

I am wondering if an 11-year-old is too cool for trick or treating.

I am wondering if an 11-year-old is too cool for trick or treating with his mom.

I am wondering if making my Chocolate Covered Caramel Apples can subtly convince him that I am worthy of Halloween.

chocolate covered caramel apples

I am in fear though that he will not only give up trick or treating but will replace it with ideas about shaving cream and silly strings and those naughty things we all did but aren’t about to let our children do.

Maybe it’s time to watch Can’t Buy Me Love again. I am adding it to our October calendar.

cantbuymelovearizonauniversityshirt

You know the scene I am thinking about, right? With poor Kenneth’s house on Halloween?

If you haven’t had your children watch Can’t Buy Me Love, you need to do so with them.

In fact, I think that the schools should be showing this movie as part of an educational assembly.

It’s totally an 80’s film but it conveys a great message about bullying and how not always cool it is to be cool even though cool seems so cool.

tumblr_moslrkuYwF1srq27po1_500

And on that note, it’s time for me to go eat my oatmeal which I have adjusted to include mashed banana in place of fresh berries since we are no longer in summer.

As exciting as my October appears to be, oatmeal mixed with mashed banana and peanut butter may taste amazing but in the early morning darkness of fall, it looks really icky therefore I will spare you the photo.

Be sure to check out what everyone else is eating today!

**************

Who will be at the Fitness Magazine Meet and Tweet with me?

Who will be at the Runner’s World Half & Festival with me?

Favorite 80’s movie?

{ 29 comments… add one }
  • jill conyers October 1, 2014, 6:02 am

The RW Festival was one of my greatest running events ever! I wish I was going again. Running the hat trick was beast!
    jill conyers recently posted…Daily Practice of GratitudeMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 1, 2014, 10:39 am

Aw I wish you were going too so that we could meet in person! I am excited for these races!

• Susie @ SuzLyfe October 1, 2014, 7:07 am

Dang, you get to have all the fun! I wish I was going to the Fitness Meet and Tweet and the RW festival. It’s really annoying that things cost money! But yeah, you really have an amazing October lined up, that is for CERTAIN!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Eatza Thin Crust Pizza From My Kitchen and ChicagoMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 1, 2014, 10:38 am

I wish you were going too so that I would have the opportunity to meet you! One of these days we will attend the same race/event.

• Ashley @ Kickashmom October 1, 2014, 7:46 am

Another year gas gone by already? I remember the pancake birthday cake from last year! Hockey season is the most exciting time around here for my boyfriend. He’s trying so hard to get me into it more.
    Ashley @ Kickashmom recently posted…13 days.My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 1, 2014, 10:38 am

It’s crazy how fast this year really went, isn’t it? I am glad to not be the only one feeling like his birthday weekend last year feels so much like it was last week.

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 1, 2014, 8:30 am

Is it weird that I”m excited to see what kind of a cake you end up making for your little guy? After that chocolate fudge one from last year, I kind of expect amazing things from you. No pressure or anything 😛 And I’m definitely looking forward to the start of hockey season again… Hopefully The Oil play better than they did last year!
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. monthly favourites – september 2014 .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 1, 2014, 10:37 am

I hate to disappoint you but he doesn’t want me baking his cake lol. And that’s fine, I don’t feel like it anyways. Sometimes I enjoy picking out a perfect cake from a bakery or maybe even a custom cake from Cold Stone Creamery. I am workin on it.

• Alycia October 1, 2014, 8:35 am

That pancake cake looks amazing! Think I could bribe your son in to sharing with me for a little moola?

My hubby’s bday is tomorrow so I’m looking forward to baking a cake for him! He isn’t much of a sweets eater, but a birthday isn’t a birthday without cake!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 1, 2014, 10:36 am

Totally agree. Birthdays without cake do not make any sense. What kind of cake are you making?

• Alycia October 1, 2014, 11:42 am

He is a classic kind of cake guy. All he wants is yellow cake with vanilla frosting. At least its easy!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 2, 2014, 12:25 pm

I never understand the classic types of cake people who don’t want chocolate involved. I do hope he enjoyed it though!

• Sarah October 1, 2014, 8:59 am

um I am so freaking excited. I scoped out all the ice cream places on my cool down after my 10k a few years ago at our track conference meet. I never got to go to any so we will have to make up for it!

I wouldn’t expect any less with you and picking the perfect dessert for your son. Obviously it has to be good, you don’t do dessert halfway.

And the fitness meet and greet- I was SO TORN. I got invited but it doesn’t make sense logistically with the road trip. If I was driving up to PA alone I could have maybe swung it by taking an extra day off work but I had to turn it down. I’ll just make you tell me every last detail when I see you!
    Sarah recently posted…What I’m Loving LatelyMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 1, 2014, 10:36 am

Ugh, that would have been awesome to get to go to the Meet and Tweet too on the way to PA but I understand

• Lish October 1, 2014, 9:35 am

LOVE that movie! I can’t believe it’s your son’s b-day already…I feel like I was just commenting on him turning 10!

• Lindsay @ The Functional Foodie October 1, 2014, 10:25 am

Happy birthday to your son! I’m an October birthday too, so I think the best people are born in October. Peter Pan donuts are amazing. I am all about picking the perfect cake. Currently I’m looking for mine, but I think I’m going to go to Molly’s Cupcakes in Greenwich Village. They are the best.
    Lindsay @ The Functional Foodie recently posted…WIAW Smorgasburg (Round 100)My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 2, 2014, 2:56 pm

I think I need a cupcake from Molly’s if you say they are the best. I don’t think I have ever tried them before.

• Davida @ The Healthy Maven October 1, 2014, 11:27 am

I won’t be at any of those events but eat some Maoz in my honour k? Also I would have taken skipping Hebrew school for life over a dog any day. That’s how much I hated Hebrew School!
    Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted…Best Of September 2014My Profile

• Renee @ Bendiful Blog October 1, 2014, 2:03 pm

I’m so sad to not be going to the meet and tweet this year! Darn wedding plans anyway! Have a great time, it’s always so much fun. And also I’m GIDDY for hockey season although I’m a Devils fan.

• Emily @ Sweets and Beets October 1, 2014, 9:25 pm

Wow.. you have your dessert priorities set straight. The ice cream and cake look sooo good. 🙂 Enjoy the festivities!
    Emily @ Sweets and Beets recently posted…WIAW: Throw it in a BowlMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 2, 2014, 12:24 pm

Thank you! Dessert is like my number one priority. As I say, if I am going to eat it, it’s going to be right. And right, in my world, means lots of chocolate.

• Emily @ Sweets and Beets October 2, 2014, 12:27 pm

Amen to that!!! 🙂
    Emily @ Sweets and Beets recently posted…WIAW: Throw it in a BowlMy Profile

• Arman @ thebigmansworld October 4, 2014, 10:58 pm

Adopt me already- those pancakes trump a puppy anyday 😉
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Microwave Cinnamon Raisin English MuffinMy Profile