Maple Roasted Butternut Squash With Brussels Sprouts

I’m a real good cook and an even better baker but I will never strive to be a food blogger.

Or food photographer.

In fact, if there wasn’t already camera built into my phone, I would probably still be making use of my Fisher Price blue camera with the separate attachment for the flash (please tell me you had one too?)

fisher price blue camera

The fact that one needs to include the word “vintage” when google searching for something you had as a kid is really not good for the borderline midlife crisis thing I was about to experience last week.

It’s fine though, really, because look what else came up in the vintage Fisher Price search! I had this camera too!

vintage fisher price

With all the camera playing I did in my vintage past, you would think I would like playing with cameras now.

Nope, not one bit.

And just like I have zero interest or patience for cameras and taking pictures, I have zero patience when it comes to following recipes because I have no time for complicated details and countless ingredients.

I am really simple about most things in life but that does not mean in any way that the food I eat features a sacrifice in flavor.

Most of what I cook on a regular basis seems so mindless to me that I don’t consider sharing the recipes because to me, they aren’t really recipes.

However, I realized that maybe you could use some of my “nonrecipe” inspiration as a motivational tactic to get you cooking foods you once thought were too complicated and involved to prepare for yourself.

I captured a couple of quick images while making my Maple Roasted Butternut Squash With Brussels Sprouts dish twice over the last two weeks and decided we should talk about it a bit more in detail.

maple roasted butternut squash and brussels sprouts

First of all, you need not fear the big butternut squash.

roasted butternut squash with brussels sprouts

It really isn’t hard to cut but if that’s the part that prevents you from cooking with it,  just buy your butternut squash precut which is available in the produce section at just about any grocery store.

Once you have your butternut squash cubes (which are usually wedges here because yes, I do get lazy cutting), they are tossed together with the brussels sprouts (and optional diced up sweet potato and/or apple).

Just a quick spray of coconut oil cooking spray, a drizzle of pure maple syrup and a pinch of cinnamon before popping into the oven to roast…..

roasted butternut squash and brussels sprouts

The longer you can let them roast in the oven at 450 degrees the better.

And, the less you pick at it while it cooks, the more you will have left when it is actually meal time.

maple roasted butternut squash and brussels sprouts

You have no idea how I struggle when it comes to sampling while I cook this dish to the point where I try to roast it up in the morning before all will power is lost.

And just that drop of pure maple syrup I swear to you is enough to bring out the natural flavors in the vegetables.

If you opt to add the apples and sweet potatoes, you will have an even sweeter most delicious dish.

Brussels sprouts with maple syrup? Oh my gosh, probably one of my favorite flavor combos of the moment.

You can serve this as a side dish as I did the last week for Rosh Hashanah OR you can make it your meal as I often do simply by adding quinoa, some chick peas and some avocado for your healthy fats.

maple roasted butternut squash with brussels sprouts and quinoa

If your will power allows for leftovers, this dish is terrific eaten cold on top of a salad for lunch or reheated along with some brown rice and protein source of choice.

And since we are friends who tell each other everything, I already know you stand at the fridge picking at leftovers so this dish is perfect for eating cold with your fingers too.

maple roasted butternut squash and brussels sprouts

Maple Roasted Butternut Squash With Brussels Sprouts

Author:
Ingredients
  • One Butternut Squash (or precut package)
  • One package of fresh Brussels Sprouts (like a pound?)
  • Coconut Oil Cooking Spray (or any cooking spray you have on hand)
  • One Tablespoon Pure Maple Syrup*
  • Pinch of Cinnamon
  • Optional:
  • One diced sweet potato
  • One diced granny smith apple
  • I really don't measure the maple syrup. If I had to guess, the most I use is one tablespoon. You can easily use more or less depending upon how sweet you want the dish to be. I honestly feel like the natural sweetness of the ingredients is enough but more syrup can never be bad!
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  2. Wash and cut your vegetables (and apple if you are adding it to the dish).
  3. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and give it a spray using the coconut oil cooking spray.
  4. Spread all vegetables out evenly on the pan and give them a spray.
  5. Drizzle the pure maple syrup, add the pinch of cinnamon and then shake the pan around so that everything gets a good coating.
  6. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour while checking and shaking the pan in between.
  7. Remove and eat!

Feeling a bit more adventurous?

This nonrecipe is fairly similar to my favorite fall recipe from last year.

harvest roasted veggies coconut rice bowl

Now don’t let the name scare you: Harvest Roasted Veggies Curried Avocado Coconut Rice Bowls.

I originally followed the recipe from the blog, Half Baked Harvest. It isn’t as difficult as it sounds and either way, it’s totally worth it.

Let me know if you give it a try!

********************************

Did you have a Fisher Price camera?

Do you cut your own vegetables or buy everything precut to save you time?

Favorite fall flavor combo of the moment?

• jill conyers September 29, 2014, 6:23 am

Yes, I had the FP camera and so did both of my kids 🙂

Your recipe sounds delicious. Love the squash and brussel sprout flavor combo.
    jill conyers recently posted…#dailyMNB and #ActiveNationDay RecapMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 29, 2014, 12:59 pm

It really is tasty. So simple yet tastes complicated if that makes any sense.

• Susie @ SuzLyfe September 29, 2014, 7:00 am

I don’t remember if I had the FP camera. We did have a Polaroid that I adored. I still have some of them! Love me some maple and bnut squash. I also like it will a little bit of course grain mustard in the mix, like I did for Alex a few weeks ago!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…September Reflections: Where I was/am/am goingMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 29, 2014, 12:58 pm

Thank you for reminding how much I love the maple and mustard combo! Going to make that today.

• Ashley @ Kickashmom September 29, 2014, 7:17 am

I had a camera like that but pink with a pop up flash! I love cooking and coming up with new recipes. I never follow any recipes i find though unless it’s for baking. Baking can be tricky
    Ashley @ Kickashmom recently posted…LuckysMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 29, 2014, 12:58 pm

The idea of a pop up flash makes me laugh, isn’t it amazing how far technology has come?!

• Shannon September 29, 2014, 8:08 am

I don’t believe I had that camera but I had plenty of other ones.
    I haven’t ever tried Brussels with maple syrup but it sounds interesting. I will have to give it a try!
    Shannon recently posted…Thursday ThoughtsMy Profile

• Tina muir September 29, 2014, 8:56 am

SUCH a good idea with the maple syrup and brussel sprouts, you know I am gonna love that! I also am so happy to see you love butternut squash, I think it may be my favorite vegetable in the world, I am enjoying it a lllll the time right now.

Wait till you see this cookie sandwich I had yesterday, it was INCREDIBLE, and I think I am gonna make those non sweet lovers vomit with how much frosting was in the middle, but I have a feeling you are going to love it!
    Tina muir recently posted…Meatless Monday: Kale, Butternut Squash and Feta SaladMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 29, 2014, 12:57 pm

Can’t wait to see this cookie sandwich. And I am also looking for the meatless Monday link up now that I actually have the post for it lol.

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 29, 2014, 10:10 am

I never had one of those FP cameras, but I -did- have a Polaroid if that counts. Actually… I think that thing is still kicking around in my parents’ basement somewhere… I wonder if it still works 😯 And I’ve been craving roasted veggies like craaaaaazy lately, and roasting them with maple is a genius idea. As for fall flavours… right now I’m really digging pumpkin and chocolate, but I love pretty much anything where chocolate is involved.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. no-bake chocolate sunflower seed butter granola bars .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 29, 2014, 12:56 pm

Maple Brussels Sprouts is my favorite thing at the moment. Crazy how simple yet delicious they are.

• Lish September 29, 2014, 1:22 pm

I am obsessed with brussel sprouts! These look so good…I don’t think I’ve ever mapled them before, but I am definitely going to now!

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine September 29, 2014, 4:46 pm

This recipe sounds amazing! I actually buy the butternut squash pre-cut because it ends up being cheaper that way! Plus it saves me a ton of time.
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Weekends Are For Long Runs And WineMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 30, 2014, 12:37 pm

Sometimes I get a package of the pre-cut from Trader Joe’s. I can usually get a whole one for less money when it’s peak season though. It’s annoying sometimes to cut but I like saving money when I can.

• Deborah @ Confessions of a Mother Runner September 29, 2014, 5:26 pm

Interesting combo looks great! Thanks for linking up with us today for Meatless Monday. Hope you will visit the hostess websites and recipes as well.
    Deborah @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…Meatless Monday- “Squiche” w sundried tomatoes & spinachMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 30, 2014, 12:36 pm

I am still going through all of the links! Such a great link up, thank you!

• Fiona November 21, 2015, 2:14 pm

This is right up my street – brussels sprouts and squash are possibly my favourite foods & roasted together AND with cinnamon…whoah, sounds awesome.This is looking like my new dinner to try next week! Thanks 🙂
    Fiona recently posted…To Short or Too Short? Winter Running GearMy Profile