What I Ate Wednesday Fun

You are going to be so proud of my will power.

wiaw fall into good habits button (2)

I was in Whole Foods on Monday shopping for Rosh Hashanah and completely held myself together when passing the food bar.

whole foods food bar

The roasted vegetables display was bountiful and beautiful BUT I was able to resist and my wallet was super thankful.

I have even held off tearing into the raisin challah bread although I swear it is calling my name from the kitchen at this very moment.

zomicks challah

My father won’t be thrilled that I bought the raisin challah bread instead of plain challah bread but I decided that it’s easier for him to pick the raisins out of his slice than for me to sit there poking a handful of raisins in my slice.

My son has been matching me bowl for bowl lately when it comes to oatmeal for breakfast so, and I am being honest here, I am hoping he will want Challah Bread French Toast for breakfast tomorrow because I am going through oatmeal like crazy these days!

gluten free oatmeal

Our winning combination of oatmeal. It isn’t cheap to buy package upon package of gluten-free oatmeal (which I need but my son doesn’t) but I stopped buying  both kinds and am too lazy anyway to cook separate pots.

After my run the other morning, I skipped the empty peanut butter jar and made use of the empty greek yogurt container instead.

greek yogurt

I once registered for and received every dish, fork, bowl, platter, kitchen gadget and gizmo under the sun yet I use a Bob The Builder spoon and yogurt container in place of a bowl.

I should be embarrassed.

In fact, I am suddenly feeling inspired to use my china and crystal rather than just look at it all pretty in the cabinet.

Inspired is the keyword here because let’s be real — I won’t actually use my china. But I should.

Lunch this week has been inspired by a spaghetti squash which I roasted and then proceeded to add to every meal until I had no more left.

spaghetti squash power bowl

Spaghetti squash, plum tomatoes, roasted sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts and asparagus mixed up with some quinoa, chick pea and avocado.

When I roast the sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts in maple syrup the flavors are so delish and intense that I don’t even need a dressing or anything.

I will be roasting up the same fall veggies as I did last week for tonight’s holiday dinner.

My mom is in charge of the brisket and I have been busy making the dough for my famous oatmeal raisin chocolate chip cookies (always chill the dough overnight) and an apple crisp (with a layer of crisp crumbs on the bottom and the top because that’s the only way to do it).

I took last night off from cooking though and went out for sushi (Nisen for my local readers) prior to attending back-to-school night where I met all of my son’s teachers.

nisen sushi

Spicy Tuna Naruto, Spicy Mango Shrimp, Spicy Lobster and one more roll I can’t recall because it wasn’t my choice.

And because back-to-school night was going to be a long one, I knew I would need dessert to make it through.

cups frozen yogurt

To all my Jewish friends, Happy New Year!

holiday-jewish-rabbi-rosh-hashanah-ecard-someecards

Be sure to check out what everyone else is eating today…

********************

Do you make use of all the dishes/flatware/stemware and gadgets you have in your kitchen?

If you have china, do you ever use it?

Favorite sushi roll?

If you celebrate Rosh Hashanah, what are you cooking for the holidays?

{ 28 comments… add one }
  • Susie @ Suzlyfe September 24, 2014, 6:30 am

I remember once making the claim that I intended for us to use our fine china at least once a month. We have used it….3 times?
    Susie @ Suzlyfe recently posted…Summer’s End Peach Protein Yogurt Cake (Gluten Free, Egg Free)My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 24, 2014, 9:26 am

And that’s three more times than I have. We should make it a point to post all photos for a WIAW on china lol.

• Tina muir September 24, 2014, 8:10 am

You got me craving sushi now! I love the dragon roll the best, or any of the ones with eel sauce! I got a coupon in the mail for $2.00 off a $10 spend at our local fro-yo place, that would be an insult not to use it right? Who cares that our froyos normally come to around $16 for the two of us…..dessert is worth paying for right? 🙂 I am not grown up enough to have fine china yet…..maybe when he finally gets around to asking me, I can register for some 😛
    Tina muir recently posted…Secrets to Success: Dynamic warm upMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 24, 2014, 9:25 am

You must use that coupon! Two dollars off cannot be wasted when the cost of yogurt is insane (but so worth it!)…Haha I totally giggled when you said when he gets around to asking you, I almost hope he reads this but I know he won’t but you know what I mean.

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 24, 2014, 9:29 am

I use so little of what I have in my kitchen that I don’t even bother using the dishwasher anymore because it takes me too long to fill it up and I have to keep washing my favourites by hand anyways. If I had to clean up after more than just me, I might consider it, but as it is… newp.

Happy New Year, lady! 😀
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. WIAW… the tastiest season of the year .My Profile

• Ashley @ KickAshMom September 24, 2014, 9:46 am

Can you believe I’ve never ate at the whole foods bar. My boyfriend used to every day, which is why he never saved any money lol.
    Ashley @ KickAshMom recently posted…No JokeMy Profile

• Rae September 24, 2014, 10:59 am

No, I have loads of gadgets and rarely use them because they are such a pain in the butt to get out of my very tiny packed kitchen!
    Rae recently posted…Duathlon trainingMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 25, 2014, 2:15 pm

Trust me, I get it! I pack all the gadgets into the cabinets that I hate to try to pull one out and then have the rest fall all over the place.

• Sarah @pickyrunner September 24, 2014, 11:48 am

You just made me want challah bread. And froyo. At the same time. With no access to either. Thanks a lot.
    (I’ll forgive you when we stuff our faces together in a few weeks at RW)
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Injuries and RestingMy Profile

• Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl September 24, 2014, 1:07 pm

Yum! Love the idea of roasted Brussels and sweet potato in maple syrup.
    Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted…Recent Fall Inspired EatsMy Profile

• Lish September 24, 2014, 1:24 pm

I am not quite ready for oatmeal as breakfast yet. I know you eat it all year round, but I feel like I only want it when the weather is cold. Still on my yogurt and granola kick!

• Cat September 24, 2014, 2:23 pm

What awesome looking sushi! Reminds me I’m due a sushi sesh…

I love using flatmates gadgets – but now my flatmates are… my parents! Weirdly, my mum’s lemon juicer has been my latest life-saving gadget.
    Cat recently posted…NYC Day 5: Candy, Cookies… and SaladMy Profile

• Shannon September 24, 2014, 2:25 pm

I never use any of the dishes I have. I would rather use paper plates and plastic silverware than pretty dish ware. Weird, but it works! haha
    Shannon recently posted…We Pay Money For That?My Profile

• Joann @ Woman in Real Life September 24, 2014, 3:00 pm

That quinoa and veggie dish looks super yummy! I do sometimes use my china. I have soooo many thrifted and inherited dishes that I try to switch them up once in a while. 🙂 Jo

• nathalia September 25, 2014, 2:59 am

Absolutely love all your eats! I have to say that every time I pop in here for a little read I find something joyful, inspiring or down right tasty! Thanks for that xx

• Athletic Avocado September 25, 2014, 3:47 pm

Whole Foods is the best grocery store! Everytime I go there I spend 3 times more then im supposed to!

• Davida @ The Healthy Maven September 25, 2014, 8:34 pm

Shana Tova my dear! May your year be filled with health, happiness and ALL THE OATMEAL!! xoxo
    Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted…Some Changes.My Profile

• Arman @ thebigmansworld September 27, 2014, 5:36 am

Happy New Year, Meredith!!!

I cannot believe you walked past those roasted veggies. Next week there will no red mango, the week after you’ll be eating steak…

Actually, I’d be proud of that.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Single Serve Caramel Pecan Breakfast CookiesMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 29, 2014, 1:00 pm

You would have enjoyed my conversation with the owner of one of the Red Mango stores yesterday. All about why some locations fail and of course I threw in the necessity of the parfait cup! lol. Totally thought of you.