What I Ate In Florida…

My quick weekend away was just a little more than 48 hours of time yet in those hours were lots of good foods.

wiawphotobutton

Let’s start with the flight down to Florida on Friday.

I brought my own salad from home to eat on the plane.

sweet potatoe wedges with salad

Roasted sweet potato wedges on top of a simple salad with plum tomatoes, asparagus and a scoop of chickpea/avocado mash.

I also sliced an apple with peanut butter on the plane using a plastic knife but didn’t get a picture because I was too busy making sure pieces of the apple didn’t go flying like one of the tomatoes from my salad did. Don’t even ask.

I brought a few packets of Justin’s Peanut Butter just in case of emergency.

peanut butter

Yes, I know they make almond butter but no, I haven’t tried it because I am allergic to almonds.

I already told you that I had my favorite salad from The Cheesecake Factory in Palm Beach Gardens but let’s look at the salad again because the onion strings were piled up nice and high just how I like it.

cheesecake factory

We didn’t have dessert at The Cheesecake Factory because we opted for Menchie’s yogurt instead. I didn’t get a picture but since it wasn’t a Red Mango parfait, you aren’t missing anything.

Each morning I made myself oatmeal using my homemade oatmeal packets which I brought from home. I added in fresh blueberries, banana and of course, peanut butter.

oatmeal

Saturday morning Bar Mitzvah services can be fairly long but totally worth sitting through in order to get to the Kiddush Luncheon afterwards.

You can always count on us Jews in the food department. You will never go hungry.

kiddush luncheon

You had to figure that the picture I snapped of the luncheon would be from the dessert side instead of the bagels and lox end of the table.

kiddush luncheon

I ate way more than what is on this plate. In fact, I think I reached my fruit quota for both you and me for the year.

My friend took home whatever was leftover from the Kiddush and since I was staying with her, I had access to all of the remaining fruit. I polished it off within 24 hours.

Big slices of fresh fruit is just irresistible to me, especially the pineapple. I don’t think I drank as much water as I normally do but I barely noticed because fruit can be super hydrating.

I am realizing that I missed a photo from Saturday night’s dinner (Chinese food) now that I am putting this post together but I more than make up for it with the photos from the Bar Mitzvah party on Sunday…

Let’s start with the cocktail hour:

cocktail-hour

There were tons of hors d’oeuvres being passed around but I hung by the incredible roasted vegetables display.

roasted vegetables

Like really. These roasted vegetables might be the best I have ever had.

roasted vegetables display

The roasted sweet potatoes were so good that everyone, including the carnivores, were raving about them and going back for more.

roasted vegetables

I had several servings of this plate. Several. Trust me. And, if you want to know the truth, after several plates I just started going up to the table and taking vegetable by vegetable with my fingers. No shame I tell you, none.

I was still full on fruit from the day before but I couldn’t resist picking a piece or two from this display.

fruit display

The one thing I always say I miss as a vegetarian are the little hot dogs that are passed around at events so instead of eating one I stopped the server to take a picture for us.

little hot dogs

After the cocktail hour and we were seated, the salad was served.

salad

My friend Danielle, the hostess of the affair, was just way too thoughtful and made sure that a vegetarian plate was made for me as my meal.

quinoa with vegetables

A beautiful quinoa with roasted vegetables.

quinoa

I am so not fussy at events and certainly would have ordered the salmon option if I had to, or at the very least, eaten the side dishes available on any of the main dish plates but it was really nice (and delicious) of her to respect my palate.

As for me, I had no respect for the kids in attendance because I totally snagged the onion rings from their section of the party.

onion rings

And, as usual, I was one of the first on line when the Viennese Table (fancy term for dessert buffet) was ready for attacking.

dessert

I skipped the line by the ice cream bar and went straight for the cakes. And cookies.

chocolate cake

This chocolate fudge cake completes me.

cake

This cake was nice too. Like pie with oreo qualities.

So I started with this plate.

dessert plate

I may not have taken the ice cream but I totally added a scoop of whipped cream to my plate.

The chocolate fudge cake was seriously incredible. The right ratio of fudge to cake and then back to fudge.

dessert plate

Yes, those are both of my plates and yes, they count as dessert round two.

bar mitzvah cake

I had some of the Bar Mitzvah cake because it was chocolate-filled but the chocolate fudge cake won my heart and I honestly couldn’t help myself from having another slice.

I didn’t even debate it. It’s not often that one encounters the perfect fudge cake.

chocolate fudge cake

Okay so I might have had trouble polishing this slice off and I might have felt a little bit sick after a few bites and it might not have been such a great idea to overload the stomach before getting on an airplane but you know what? It was so worth it.

party without cake quote

Overall I think we can say I did my usual balancing of the healthy stuff with my sweet tooth.

I truly believe that a healthy lifestyle is all about a strong focus on the nutrient dense stuff without losing sight of the foods you love.

My muscles crave the sweet potatoes, plant-based proteins and complex carbs but my soul will forever run on chocolate fudge cake.

I still have slightly over two years before my son’s Bar Mitzvah (November 12, 2016!) but you can be sure that I am already reviewing the menu and have added this specific chocolate fudge cake which may need to be flown in from Florida, to the list.

Be sure to check out what everyone else is eating today!

*********************

Favorite hors devours? I don’t have one now that I don’t eat the little hot dogs!

Are you currently planning your event? Wedding, Sweet 16, Bar Mitzvah?

Which do you gravitate towards on a dessert table – the chocolate cakes or the fruity pies?

• Susie @ SuzLyfe September 10, 2014, 6:42 am

I blame my parents for not setting me up with enough Jewish friends as a kid.
    Also, I love how instead of hors d’oeuvres you wrote hors devours. I think what you wrote is way more appropriate!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Gluten, Dairy Free Chocolate PB Zucchini Oat Protein BreadMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 10, 2014, 12:31 pm

Not having Jewish friends means you definitely missed out on great food and great parties…And thank you for pointing out the spelling error that spellcheck missed (although I have seen it spelled the way I had it but it was definitely wrong in my opinion too – thanks again).

• Tina Muir September 10, 2014, 8:03 am

Okay, firstly before I forget, good on you for packing a salad for the plane, and very impressive you cut an apple with a plastic knife! I would have LOVED to see that one. Most importantly, all that cake….looks AMAZING! Although I hate whipped cream, so that part is not for me. Everything else, YES PLEASE! I have overstuffed to the point of sickness many times, and I am sure I will do it many more times, a feeling sick from cake is a feeling sick I am prepared to have for all that goodness 😉
    Tina Muir recently posted…International Chocolate Day GIVEAWAY with Balance BarMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 10, 2014, 12:30 pm

You and I are the same – cake-sick is a good sick lol…I am the master at slicing apples with a plastic knife. One day I will show you!

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 10, 2014, 8:05 am

😯 That dessert table… omg. Seeing that would seriously kill me since there’d be a good chance I couldn’t eat anything on it… unless they were thoughtful and made sure that there were no nuts in it. And I’m always, ALWAYS about the chocolate desserts. Fruit is for snacking — chocolate is for dessert.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. WIAW… sitting down to eat .My Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 10, 2014, 12:29 pm

And once again I am feeling bad for you if indeed you would have had to avoid the dessert table.

• Davida @ The Healthy Maven September 10, 2014, 10:05 am

This makes me want to have my bat mitzvah all over again (minus the braces and unibrow obvs). Then again Shabbat Dinner at my parents house isn’t so far off from it. The first time I brought C over there for dinner (like 2 years ago) he was legit in shock at how much food there was. Everyone goes home with leftovers for daysssss. It’s awesome!
    Davida @ The Healthy Maven recently posted…5 Investments Worth Making For Your BlogMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 10, 2014, 12:28 pm

I wonder if there is a Jewish mother who doesn’t send someone home with leftovers. Even I have become that mom!

• Rebecca@RunningFoodBaby September 10, 2014, 10:15 am

I do gravitate towards the cakes – usually super good. Although I tend to only have a small piece if the cake is one of those rich ones.

I am hungry now
    Rebecca@RunningFoodBaby recently posted…Adventures in AmericaMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 10, 2014, 12:27 pm

And I am just the opposite- a rich cake means a big slice (or two. or three) for me.

• Lauren September 10, 2014, 10:17 am

Yum lots of fruits & veggies and CAKE. I totally save room for dessert and cake all the time. I also always bring Justin’s nut butter packets when I travel because god forbid I can’t find any nut butter, haha.
    Lauren recently posted…Hood to Coast with Nuun Recap Part 1: Seattle SightseeingMy Profile

• Shannon September 10, 2014, 11:04 am

I have NEVER been to a Bar Mitzvah!! My only Jewish friend didn’t have one at the last minute. That dessert table is better than I have ever seen.
    Shannon recently posted…Life Is PreciousMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 10, 2014, 12:26 pm

You need to find your way to a Bar Mitzvah or any Jewish affair – if you like the looks of this dessert table, you will certainly love them all!

• Brynn September 10, 2014, 2:18 pm

I go for the chocolate! However, your salads look so good. Sweet potato on salad is one of my favorites. But your CCF salad may take the cake (pun intended). 🙂
    Brynn recently posted…WIAW: Farmers Market InspiredMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 11, 2014, 11:04 am

I love adding sweet potatoes to my salads! And I did so yesterday for lunch and today as well!

• Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine September 10, 2014, 4:10 pm

I always go for chocolate dessert over fruity! So much good food in this post. It looks like you had a good balance of bringing your own healthy foods and also indulging a bit too:) I am kind of boring with hors devours and my favorite and plain old cheese and crackers:)
    Lisa @ Running Out Of Wine recently posted…Appreciation For The Easy RunsMy Profile

• Tracy September 11, 2014, 5:52 pm

I have about 7.5 & 11.5 years before Bar Mitzvahs but in South Florida planning begins like 3 years prior (at least in Miami where I am from originally!). Very curious – where did you get Chinese from – Uncle Joe’s? Mr. Zhang’s? We have a few we order from but none are that great. So nice of your friend to make sure you had the veggie option!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles September 12, 2014, 2:32 pm

I have had my son’s Bar Mitzvah date for over a year and already booked the place even though I have over two years to go – so I understand! I don’t remember where the Chinese food was from but those names don’t sound familiar. I want to say it was in the PGA National shopping center?

• Arman @ thebigmansworld September 12, 2014, 11:46 pm

If I convert to Judaism, will you throw me a Bah Mitzvah? Knowing our similar shared taste for certain things, I know it will be a bloody winner. 😉
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…4 Ingredient Paleo Nutella CookiesMy Profile

Next post: