Grain-Free Banana Bread Bites (Or Crumble)

I keep meaning to update my Vegetarian Meal Ideas post to show you how I don’t need to meal plan, I just need to have specific ingredients always on hand in order to whip up good food fast.

One of my must-have pantry items is Organic Chick Peas. Chick Peas and Garbanzo Beans are the same thing.

chick peas

I go through a few cans a week but since Chick Peas are super cheap (like a dollar a can!), we are talking one heck of a reasonably priced plant-based protein source packed with fiber and versatility.

Besides mashing them up with avocado, adding to salads, entrees and eating straight from the bowl, chick peas are a fun and tasty baking ingredient.

Most of us know how to use Chick Peas in baking recipes including cookie dough dip but I decided the other day that it was time to experiment with a chick pea and banana combination which is something I can’t recall seeing or pinning.

grain-free-banana-bread-crumble-bites-header

These little grain-free banana bread bites may taste like banana bread but do not contain your usual “bread” ingredients. There’s no flour, not even an oat involved.

They do not contain added sugars (not even honey unless you want to add it) and really could be considered a Vegan recipe should you leave out the chocolate chips and/or opt for dairy-free chocolate instead.

They do of course contain peanut butter as well as the powdered peanut butter- PB2.

Here are my thoughts on PB2 in case you are curious:

It’s a terrific complement to your nut butter supply but it is by no means a replacement.

The fat in peanut butter is what satisfies. PB2 is missing the fat. So, as yummy as it can taste, seldom will it completely satisfy.

I love it in my first breakfast bowl of oatmeal before I run since it sits light in my stomach.

I love it blended into banana soft serve.

I love it mixed with regular peanut butter for texture and for adding volume to a peanut butter serving.

And, I love it mixed up in a bowl with chocolate chips just to be eaten with a spoon.

Anyway, an interesting thing happened after I baked up these cute little banana bread bites in my mini muffin pan.

mini muffin pan

I realized that I forgot to grease the pan therefore lots of crumbs were left behind.

grain-free-banana-bread-crumble-bites

Even though the banana bread bites remained in tact, I had an idea.

grain free banaan bread crumble

I gathered up all of the crumbs and then mashed up some of the bites in a bowl and, excuse my childish talk for a moment,

O-M-G!

Words cannot even express what the heck I created.

It’s like a grain-free bowl of baked oatmeal. It’s like a delicious crumbly bread pudding without the bread and without the pudding.

The texture is so fab, you feel like you are spooning banana bread in your mouth with the chewiness-factor from the raisins and chocolate chips.

I stored the crumble in the refrigerator and just keep opening the container to have a bite.

I added some to greek yogurt, to banana soft serve.

I have warmed it up and added milk.

The possibilities are endless here, people. I am still playing and creating with it but needed to share the recipe with you today because I couldn’t contain my excitement.

Grain-Free Banana Bread Bites (Or Crumble):

• One Can Of Organic Chick Peas
  • Two Medium/Large Mashed Overripe Bananas
  • One Tablespoon Chia Seeds
  • One Teaspoon Cinnamon
  • One Teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 1/4 Cup PB2
  • 1/4 Cup (or alittle more) nut butter
  • 1/3 cup raisins*
  • 1/3 chocolate chips*

*Please note that I did not add sugar or honey. You can if you want (maybe a 1/4 cup), I just feel like the bananas and addition of raisins and chocolate offer enough natural sweetness.

*Get creative – add more/less of the raisins, throw in cranberries or other dried fruits and even include nuts for the texture.

*To make this recipe Vegan, replace chocolate chips with dairy-free chocolate chips.

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mashed chick peas with bananas in a bowl (you can use food processor but I didn’t find it necessary).

Add in peanut butter, chia seeds, PB2, cinnamon, baking powder, raisins and chocolate chips.

Mix well.

Bake in mini muffin pan (or regular muffin pan if that’s all you have) for a good 25 minutes, checking to determine if the tops have crisped up a bit. All ovens vary but I found 25 minutes to be good or even a few minutes longer.

Allow bites to cool before removing.

Crumble option:

Once baked, mash up the bites in a bowl and refrigerate. Serve cold or warm.

Like, yum.

*********************

Which do you prefer- chick peas or black beans?

Favorite baking recipe using chick peas?

Do you like PB2?

• jill conyers August 19, 2014, 6:14 am

Yep. Love PB2! I would add the crumble to yogurt or oatmeal. Yum!
    jill conyers recently posted…#ActiveLivingChallenge Week 2My Profile

• Liz @ I Heart Vegetables August 19, 2014, 6:42 am

I loooove chickpeas! They really ARE so versatile! And I totally agree with your stance on PB2. (I use it sort of like protein powder in my smoothies!)

These little bites look so yummy!

• Susie @ SuzLyfe August 19, 2014, 6:46 am

Mmmmm this sounds great! My problem is that my body can’t seem to handle chickpeas or beans in mass quantities, even though I like them. And even though my body likes fiber, apparently it don’t like no beans. I don’t like black beans, actually. The only black beans that I like are Cuban black beans. I like PB2 but I agree–it is not a complete substitute. It is a dietary aid, and should be considered as such!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…The Anti-Inspirational Blogger: True SuzLyfe vs Reality TVMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 19, 2014, 9:41 am

That’s the thing – eating a bowl of this crumble in place of baked oatmeal sounds great in theory but how will the stomach handle it when the bean fiber can be tough sometimes. But it is oh so tasty!

• tina Muir August 19, 2014, 7:04 am

ooooh yum Meri! These can be added to meatless monday right now!!! Good iiidddeeaa! I only used chickpeas in cookies once, but I must have done something wrong as they were really gooey…..and not in a good way! These sound lovely! Do you think I could substitute something for the PB2 as I don’t have it?

Chickpeas or black beans? Definitely chickpeas….hummmuss love!
    tina Muir recently posted…Meatless Monday: How to Create the Perfect Grilled FlatbreadMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 19, 2014, 9:37 am

I will add the link in a few minutes! Good idea…If you don’t have PB2, you can probably use just about any flour, oats, oatbran, quinoa flakes and almond flour/coconut flour. I never work with almond flour because I have an allergy but I am pretty sure than any quarter cup substitution would be just fine. In fact, you could prob sub in extra nut butter or even another banana. I don’t feel that you can do much wrong here.

• Ashley@ Kick Ash Mom.com August 19, 2014, 8:11 am

I always forget about chick peas. I always have white and black beans on hand. I’m going to have to get a couple cans and try these.
    Ashley@ Kick Ash Mom.com recently posted…Almond “bread” CrumbsMy Profile

• The Cookie ChRUNicles August 19, 2014, 9:35 am

Yes, definitely stock your pantry with chick peas! So perfect and versatile.

• Shannon August 19, 2014, 4:23 pm

I just made chickpea cookie dough this morning for the first time. I am going to have to start using them more often. These banana bread bites look yummy! They would be especially good with some frozen yogurt on top! 🙂

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 19, 2014, 8:45 pm

I definitely prefer chick peas over black beans, but I have to go easy on the beans in general because my stomach let’s me know pretty quick that it’s not a fan. That being said, do roasted chickpeas count as a favourite bean baking recipe? Because I’m sooooo addicted to those suckers. I’ve been buying The Good Bean’s roasted chickpeas, but I really need to start making my own because it’s super easy.

• Arman @ thebigmansworld August 20, 2014, 5:24 am

Wow, chickpeas? I need to see this dip of yours. I mix peanut flour with peanut butter so make an epic sauce.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…How I cheated on the Paleo DietMy Profile

• Claudia August 20, 2014, 11:16 am

Consequently yummy! That seems impressive.
    Claudia recently posted…Jak wybrać na wyjście skórzane obuwie?My Profile